Home

Best Tennis Game

This is a discussion on Best Tennis Game within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Best Tennis Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
AO2 got me wanting to play a tennis game but I couldn't get past some of the major glaring issues. I went to my local game store and they had a brand new copy of Top Spin 4 for 360 for $19.99. Couldn't believe they had a new copy lol. I don't remember playing it when it came out so it was a new experience for me even though the game is 10 years old. There is no comparison between it and any of the new games that have come out. Honestly it's not even close.

The timing based mechanics are incredibly well done. The movement is tight. The animations are fantastic. The graphics aren't as clear and crisp as newer games but over all are more impressive then any of the new games. It's just an exceptional sports game.

Anyways, I know a lot of tennis fans have probably played the fun out of TS4 and are clamoring for a new tennis game but if you didn't play much of TS4 you need to. Just a terrific experience.
Just go AO2 yesterday, played a few matches, created on character, a venue, downloaded a ton of logos, players, venues. Career does look better than TS4 but I agree the gameplay is better in TS4. AO2 feels like I am driving a car with 170k - a nice car but just not as tight or responsive as it should be. Will have more input as time goes on..
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

The best tennis game I've played is Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii. The ball could land anywhere on the court and the motion controls were really good and it felt like you were playing tennis.

Random thoughts:

Top Spin 4 is good, but the ball physics kill it for me. When I said the ball could land anywhere on the court, in Top Spin 4, time your button press right, the ball lands lets say 6 inches inside the sideline. If you time your button press wrong, the ball lands 6 inches outside the sideline. The problem is, the ball never lands in the area between 6 inches inside and 6 inches outside the sideline.

Virtua Tennis was a lot of fun, but too much diving made it seem unrealistic. I do remember having a lot of fun with the Virtual Tennis on Dreamcast, but still, it's arcadey.

In trying to think of others, Grand Slam on the PS3 was awful, which was really disappointing to me considering how much I liked the Wii version. Tennis Elbow is good for the little I've played against the CPU, but I can't seem to find an online opponent. TWT is bad. There was a PS2 WTA game that was pretty good.

I like tennis games where the ball hits the net, goes out of bounds (sometimes VT felt like that never happened), has close calls on the lines. AO2 is up there, it is a bit fast and sometimes I feel I have to guess a direction on any shot or I won't be able to return it. I like how you can download players in AO2 so the rosters are unlimited. I wish the line judges and ball boys got involved in AO2.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
Rookie

I thought so too regarding GST on the Wii but soon realized you could get results while sitting on the couch and flicking the remote which kind of ruined it for me.. Flash forward to a few months ago and I saw gameplay for AO tennis and upcoming AO Tennis 2. Wanted to wait for AO2 so I rented TS4 from the library - great gameplay surprisingly fun for using the remote. Graphics good, but started getting bored with limited venues and not very deep career mode.

Picked up AO 2 for Xbox on Tues, played around with game, downloaded rosters from ATP 150 and 90s players and added some legends for Career mode. Here are my ranking so far.

- Gameplay - 7.5 Feels good, some glitchy moments where your character does not move when you tell it to.

-Graphics - 8.5. Characters look good, courts, advertisements + Generic stadium templates - (Roland Garros and US open look the same as Australian open venue just different colors and advertisements)

- Creator mode - 8.0 - good stuff here but I feel like I have already seen everything and will get bored soon. Need to be able to add my own creations without having to be a computer programmer. Would like to create logos for more companies to give it that personal touch. Stadium creator good but like above - template for big venues are the same just different colors and small differences. Player creator good, Created myself and somewhat pleased - love that I can create Racquets, color, pattern and logo.

- Replayability - 9. tbd - so far looks promising - just hope that as I get better and play larger tournaments that I come across some downloaded players from the ATP and Classic 90s stars.... Looking forward to Quarterfinals in US open against Agassi then meet up against Becker or Chang

Started Career last night - First match started on lowest setting then bumped it up a little bit. Based on videos on YouTube I was expecting to hit it out every shot but that did not happen as much as expected. Round 2 came back from 4-2 to win 6-4 and it was very satisfying - look forward to next game and hopefully it represents players strengths and weaknesses that you have to plan for. By the way I invested all my avail funds into just a few shots to help keep the ball in bounds and be successful based on what I saw on You Tube from others that spread all skills out evenly - I think that helped and I can train to get the other type shots I rarely use up to speed during the career.

Good You Tube shout out to - Sim UK, Apex Hound, the Jennerator…….. Keep the videos coming.....

Update after playing a little over the weekend.
- on second to lowest difficulty I cannot get past 2nd round (this is good and means I have a lot of work to do - see others already at top 10 and adjust difficulty up and down to get ahead - missing the meaning of a loooong career mode.
- love the sounds, lack of commentator and realistic settings. (silent with hint of crowd shuffling and planes flying overhead really suck you in (headphones)
- still manage to lose a few points every match due to glitch where player does not move (patch please)
- Want to add some custom logos but cannot figure out how to - put pics in jpeg, plugged into xbox but cannot get them into the game?
- Overall - 8/10 experience so far...

Last edited by DustyNacho; 02-17-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #20
Rookie

TWT for sure. It's a lot better than AO
Old 07-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #21
Rookie

CrReam's Arena

Everyones forgetting the best tennis game ever made....Mario Tennis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #22
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Do any of you play Tennis Elbow 4? It looks solid from the videos I'm watching.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #23
Horror Movie Guru

Dead2009's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Do any of you play Tennis Elbow 4? It looks solid from the videos I'm watching.
Theyre saying there's over 3500 characters in that game? If so, that's impressive.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #24
Just started!

Ts4 is the best but AO isn't bad, especially for the price. Coulnt pay me to play TWT for one more second

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »