Home

Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0
3YCD Rules

Hello and thank you for your interest in Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust!

Here are the league rules.

Rules:
1. Simball

This league expects you to play by sim standards. If you get stopped on 3rd down (by the CPU or a user), do not go for it. Punt or kick a FG. In a nutshell- if you don't see it in real-life, don't do it here.

4th Down attempts are allowed when:
- You are losing in the 4th quarter
- You are out of FG range and too close for a punt (most FGs under 50 yards should be makeable as a loose guideline). USE YOUR BEST JUDGMENT. I WILL be monitoring this CLOSELY.
- You are inside your opponent's 5 yard line.
- It is 4th & <2 and you lead with less than 2 minutes left. (Unless in you're in FG range- then you'd kick the ball. Use this sparingly to kill clock.)

- I'd also allow a 4th down attempt in this situation: it's 4th and 1, you have the ball down by less than a FG and the clock is stopped. You're trying to set up the FG so you can kick it right before the clock expires. If you want to kill more clock by going for it, I'd allow it.
- If a situation pops up that wasn't addressed here, pause the game and ask your opponent if they think it is sim. If it becomes an issue, PM me.

Bottom line, if you don't see it on Saturdays (or Sundays), don't do it here. I hate this and consider this a zero tolerance rule. Don't test my patience.

Other Notes on what constitutes "Sim Style"
Vary your defenses. Mix zone and man concepts. Throw in some Cover 0 blitzes. Do some zone blitzes.

Vary your offense. Do not run "power" over and over again. Mix in some zone runs, traps, option (if you have the players for it), dives, etc.
Similarly, vary your passing game. Mix up your concepts. Call your plays like a real offensive coordinator would. Even the best option coaches like Ken Niumatalolo and Paul Johnson do this. Just like pass-happy coaches like June Jones and Mike Leach know they have to mix up their run plays.

Just so this is clear- I don't want to take away your creativity and identity. Everyone has their own scheme and playing style.
If you're Army or Georgia Tech or Navy, I would HOPE that you'd run the ball upwards of 75% of the time like a real option team would. This applies in reverse for pass-happy teams like Cal, SMU, and Texas A&M. Those teams are just examples. Be realistic. The "Play True" mantra that EA made the motto of this game (check your box art if you don't believe me) applies here.

Football is a game of intense preparation. It is as much mental as it is physical. Show this great sport the respect it has earned and deserves. (Even if it is a video game.)

2. Restarts
Stuff happens. I get that. Let me know if happens. Don't make it a habit. If you have to restart a game more than twice, it will be simmed without any exceptions. (The commish reserves the right to make exceptions when justified.)

3. User vs. User Disconnects
Like above, stuff happens. Each user should contact me and explain what happened. You get one replay and then the game will be simmed if it happens again. (Again, barring an unforseen act of God or the like.)

4. User vs. User Scheduling
If you have a user game and you no-show, your opponent will get to play against the CPU. Don't waste other people's time.

5. NO CHEESE
Absolutely NO nano-blitzing.
Do not abuse curls, hitches, or other comeback routes. Do not spam corner and out routes. Mix it up. I am allowing custom playbooks for now, but if this becomes an issue- and I don't expect it to- I'll ban them.
QB scrambling is fine as long as you have gone through all of your progression/reads.
QB dropbacks are suppose to be of the 3-, 5-, or 7-step variety. Don't run 10+ yards behind the line of scrimmage after the snap just to pass.

6. Running up the Score
If it's the 4th quarter and you're up by more than 24 points, put your backups in. This goes for games against other users as well as the CPU. Stat-padding is strictly prohibited. If I see scores, stat lines, and individual statlines that are too outrageous for belief, you will be warned, then banned.

7. Player Issues
I'll make this simple: if you have a problem with another user, tell the commissioner first. Tell them what happened in detail. It will be dealt with accordingly and in a timely manner.

8. User Catch on Offense and Defense
User catching is NOT allowed for either side of the ball. User catching is defined as changing your controlled player after the ball is thrown to use the ball hawk feature to attempt to catch the ball- in other words, not allowing the player's attributes do the work for you.

9. No-huddle offense
Use it realistically. Don't run it after an incomplete pass. Even Oregon and Auburn don't do that. You're not Chip Kelly or Gus Malzahn, so I don't think you should get away with it, either.

10. Run commit
Run commit is allowed. You want to take that risk, be my guest.

11. Custom Playbooks
Custom playbooks are fine with me. Be smart about it.

12. Super Sim is disallowed
Look I get it. You're in a hurry/bored. You committed to this league, do it justice. Play every snap. You'll be better for it. This ensures that scores and stats are kept realistic as super sim can get way out of control.

13. Sportsmanship
Do not attack another owner for any reason at all. I will boot you. I have plenty of folks lined up to join this league. If you have an issue with another owner tell me straightaway. Don't send them a rude PM, complain about them publicly in this sub-forum, or send them a message on PSN. If someone does this, show me and I will take appropriate. No name-calling, slandering, or like comments. I have zero patience for this.
This league is about respect. Respect the game, respect your opponent. Rivalries are fine. Just don't go all Notre Dame-Miami on one another here.

Any questions? PM me or drop your question here.

Last edited by rkwittem; 08-14-2015 at 11:37 PM. Reason: extra clarity
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Living the Dream

SugaRicky's Arena

Re: 3YCD Rules

Lol I like how you have expressed yourself in the writing of the rules
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaRicky
Lol I like how you have expressed yourself in the writing of the rules

Thanks man! You want a spot in this league? I have room for you.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Living the Dream

SugaRicky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem
Thanks man! You want a spot in this league? I have room for you.
I appreciate the offer but I would have to drop a league first. Honestly don't know if I'll be able to play in all my leagues once school picks back up. We'll see...I'll let you know if anything changes and if you have a free spot still available at that time I would love to join.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

Updated OP. Please read.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm thinking hard of changing to a -bone (flex/wish/wing) option based offense for next season, mostly to mix things up, as well as the fact I'm going to be losing talent.

My main question is if, after doing so, I'd be given some leeway in going for it on fourth down, as the schools that use these toe of offenses tend to be more willing to line up and pound it on fourth and short.

I'm fine with the answer being no, and it probably wouldn't affect me making that change, just wanted to see...
Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

These rules are still in place with the new league.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #8
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

Obligatory "new year, same rules" bump

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Online > Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust »