Home

AEW Battle of the Belts

This is a discussion on AEW Battle of the Belts within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2022, 09:23 PM   #9
Th* m*n...

Slymm's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: AEW Battle of the Belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Well, at least I'm not the only one this time.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
As a black and gold NXT lover who has sat through Gargano main events that was excessive.
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers
MLB: San Francisco Giants
Old 01-08-2022, 09:27 PM   #10
Th* m*n...

Slymm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
Modern wrestling…I stopped complaining about it a long time ago so I wouldn’t sound like an old man yelling at clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It definitely appeals to a certain audience but I prefer a much more logical lean to my pro wrestling. He could’ve at least sold a hard fought match but he took all that punishment and cleared a fresh Daniel Garcia out of the ring (making Garcia look weak).
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers
MLB: San Francisco Giants
Old 01-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #11

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

What a weird show. Didn't really feel like a "special," whatever that even means. But at least it was full of matches.

Sammy/Dustin was fine. I've yet to watch a Guevara match and be disappointed. Dude can bump. Not sure what was up with Dustin being so winded throughout the match. Maybe he isn't superhuman after all.

The women's title match felt like kind of a mess, but not terrible. I'm assuming eventually Hayter breaks apart from that group, but it isn't exactly being handled masterfully.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #12

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slymm
So…Sammy kicked out of a Canadian destroyer on a table, pile driver to the floor and two crossrhodes…
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
I get that and I feel like I am harping on them endlessly at times & not enjoying the show, but they have to realize that this "36 flavors"/indy style only appeals to a certain subset of fans.

I want them, plus we need them to get to a bigger audience and that will take even longer the more they stick to booking those type of illogical finishes.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
I dont mind those false finishes, but the issue is when it happens in so many matches, and in matches which aren't those main event title matches.

At least in NXTs case, you would see it in those big Takeover main events, and the crowd would be going crazy during it.

It's like the "boy who cried wolf". You do them so often, nobody is gonna care anymore, and it makes regular finishers not seem as special because you just view it as another move in a match filled with 70 different moves already.

That's the thing about the modern era. Sure, its nice that many were influenced by Eddie, HBK, Bret, Angle and others. But that style stood out during the days of guys who didnt do that style, like Undertaker, Hogan, Goldberg, Big Show, Lesnar, HHH and so on.

Now, that style is what everyone is doing, so it's less special, and the big guys competing in the brawling/grind it out style of wrestling is now the rarity.

Last edited by Majingir; 01-09-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #13
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I dont mind those false finishes, but the issue is when it happens in so many matches, and in matches which aren't those main event title matches.

At least in NXTs case, you would see it in those big Takeover main events, and the crowd would be going crazy during it.

It's like the "boy who cried wolf". You do them so often, nobody is gonna care anymore, and it makes regular finishers not seem as special because you just view it as another move in a match filled with 70 different moves already.

That's the thing about the modern era. Sure, its nice that many were influenced by Eddie, HBK, Bret, Angle and others. But that style stood out during the days of guys who didnt do that style, like Undertaker, Hogan, Goldberg, Big Show, Lesnar, HHH and so on.

Now, that style is what everyone is doing, so it's less special, and the big guys competing in the brawling/grind it out style of wrestling is now the rarity.

Probably why the Cody/Dustin match was so critically acclaimed. They put on a good, old fashioned professional wrestling match that told an amazing story.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #14

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
Probably why the Cody/Dustin match was so critically acclaimed. They put on a good, old fashioned professional wrestling match that told an amazing story.

It's also what NXT 2.0 seems to be doing in a way. Its not as much about the indy guys anymore, they are going after the personalities and the non indy wrestling style.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #15
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Tomorrow night is Battle of the Belts II

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2022, 12:10 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 0

Looking forward to the title matches tomorrow!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »