Home

So what in the world happened to Universe mode and why is it rarely discussed?

This is a discussion on So what in the world happened to Universe mode and why is it rarely discussed? within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Rookie

Calinks's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: So what in the world happened to Universe mode and why is it rarely discussed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
^PR guys in general seem to be hated for sports games for the most part. Look at NHL series lol.

For me at least,thing that made me not as interested in Universe Mode was lack of cutscenes/storyline development and biggest thing...how universe mode tied in to exhibition mode(so if you wanted to have universe mode tag team or specific themes for guys in universe mode,it'd translate over to exhibition too).

So for me, someone who likes playing current WWE stuff but also would like playing Universe mode,having both connected didn't really work out. For example,I'd want to have Evolution Orton/HHH in Universe mode,but current Orton/HHH in exhibition,but wouldn't be able to do so cause exhibition mode would refer to them as part of evolution and have them under evolution theme.

I never touch exhibition so I didn't know about that. That's pretty messed up for people like you though.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: So what in the world happened to Universe mode and why is it rarely discussed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinks
I think there is two types of people who like Universe. There are those who just like the GM aspects, they just wnat to run an organized card and play the game. Then there are those who wants the TV experience. They want shows and cards but they want feuds, story, and drama to come with it. Not just a brass tax play mode. I'm the type that likes the stories. I honestly would not even buy the games if universe was not in as I am not that into the straight up wrestling by itself, thats why I stopped playing 2K!4 so quickly, the universe sucked when it came to story and I just lost interest.
I like that it gives you the chance to use multiple wrestlers. I don't want to do a career mode where I'm only able to use one guy, but I don't want to just do play now matches. It gives me a chance to be in a season mode type of setting without be stuck with one guy
Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
Pro

AirJordanFan93's Arena

OVR: 3

Universe always had a lot of potential to be a great mode. The idea of a ever going WWE Season sounds great in therory but THQ could never get it to work well. WWE'13 had the makings to be great with Universe Mode with the addition of the branching storylines and the stat tracking. Thing was the branching storylines and the 200 supposed cutscenes or whatever it was they said they had never happened so it was a huge let down. 2K14 felt too much like '13 in how Universe Mode played out even with the addition of the feud maker it still didn't work with the constant Extreme Rules matches the game booked for you on episodes of RAW and Smackdown. Hopefully 2K can do something with the mode considering what they did with MyLeague in 2K15 this year and how much depth they gave it to be customised to your liking. But maybe something like this just isn't meant to work within a WWE game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
Rookie

Calinks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordanFan93
Universe always had a lot of potential to be a great mode. The idea of a ever going WWE Season sounds great in therory but THQ could never get it to work well. WWE'13 had the makings to be great with Universe Mode with the addition of the branching storylines and the stat tracking. Thing was the branching storylines and the 200 supposed cutscenes or whatever it was they said they had never happened so it was a huge let down. 2K14 felt too much like '13 in how Universe Mode played out even with the addition of the feud maker it still didn't work with the constant Extreme Rules matches the game booked for you on episodes of RAW and Smackdown. Hopefully 2K can do something with the mode considering what they did with MyLeague in 2K15 this year and how much depth they gave it to be customised to your liking. But maybe something like this just isn't meant to work within a WWE game.
I disagree with that last part, I believe universe is the best idea for a mode they have put out. They just need to focus and refine it. Look at Shadow of Mordor and how people are entertained by its nemesis system. A working universe could bring something like that to wrestling games. I just hope the devs don't over look how great an idea that is. I really want it to be something they fix and improve upon for years to come.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
Pro

AirJordanFan93's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I disagree with that last part, I believe universe is the best idea for a mode they have put out. They just need to focus and refine it. Look at Shadow of Mordor and how people are entertained by its nemesis system. A working universe could bring something like that to wrestling games. I just hope the devs don't over look how great an idea that is. I really want it to be something they fix and improve upon for years to come.
Only reason I say it can't work is because THQ had the mode for 4 years and it never worked at all. Whenever they added features to it something else in the mode would break. The fact you couldn't book your own shows because you would not get cut scenes is a complete joke for a mode thats meant to be based around your own WWE.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
Rookie

ksteward84's Arena

OVR: 0

Universe has worked on a couple different levels in a couple different phases for me.

1) I started off with a WWF / NXT style duo of shows. Classic wrestlers (Stone Cold, HBK, Brett Heart, etc) were on Raw, and the new generation (Rybak, Bryan, Ziggler) taking the place of NXT. I really wanted the storyline aspect to work, but without it I was left with empty matches.

2) WCW / WWE - Slightly better than the first, because I loved me some WCW, but again, without the storylines, my universe felt empty.

3) "Invasion" - I made a handful of CAW's to put in a stable, and took control of one, using it as a Career mode. This was much better for me, as match types changed frequently, and I was progressing.

4) Full takeover - I went a bit overboard for a week or so, making 30+ CAW's of my friends, coworkers, etc. Keeping control of one CAW as a Career mode in a League of all my CAW's (2 shows sharing one main belt).

This sounds weird, but it was the most fun out of all of the modes. Matches against people you actually know become a lot more fun than wrestling Cesaro or Heath Slater.

I gave everyone somewhat realistic stats in comparison to eachother, but everyone is between 89-91. I put my caw at 87 to keep things competitive. It didn't take long before the momentum meter separated the top-tier wrestlers from the scrubs, but it was still good because there was still room for mobility.

Overall my universe has been going for 10 years, and my CAW "career mode" has been going for 7. After those 7 years my CAW finally made it to the top of the mountain just last week, and honestly it was more exciting than winning a Super Bowl in any Madden (even though i cashed in MITB after the Wrestlemania, kind of a cheesy way to win, but after trying for so long, I took what i could get).
Old 10-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Rookie

Calinks's Arena

Anyone know what the hell happened to Paul Heyman's 2oo stories he wrote for WWE 13?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Anyone know what the hell happened to Paul Heyman's 2oo stories he wrote for WWE 13?
They were there, a bunch of stuff just had to happen/had to be done for them to be there.

At least that's what we were told.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »