Home

Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy

This is a discussion on Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Throwback Thursday: WWF No Mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
FPWR 1-a and No Mercy 1-b.
I can go with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0
I've always preferred the Fire Pro series, but WWF No Mercy is a great game to this day. I still own all of the AKI N64 wrestling games, including the Japanese imports. I think Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 may be my favorite just because of the roster but they're all great.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Loving these throwback thursdays.

No Mercy was a masterpiece of a wreslting game. The only game in would put against it, maybe, is Here Comes the Pain (that is if we are excluding games like wrestlemania 2000 and we vs neo revenge). What made no mercy even more special for me was that I didn't own an n64 growing up. So going to a friend's or having a friend bring their n64 over in order to play no mercy was always exciting for me.

The gameplay was simply great. Fun yet difficult. Best of all you felt in control. I quickly get bored with the modern wreslting games because I feel like the pacing and flow is terrible. Too much time spent watching moves and animations play out.

The game had some great modes with a good variety of match types and an engaging story type mode. Best of all were the unlockables, which just isn't the same anymore. I remember my friends and me trying to earn as much money as possible in order to unlock characters. Finally saving up enough to purchase someone like Shawn Michaels was extremely rewarding, unlike the "perform these tasks" method of modern wreslting games (worse is purchasing the accelerator dlc to unlock everything.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Loving these throwback thursdays.

No Mercy was a masterpiece of a wreslting game. The only game in would put against it, maybe, is Here Comes the Pain (that is if we are excluding games like wrestlemania 2000 and we vs neo revenge). What made no mercy even more special for me was that I didn't own an n64 growing up. So going to a friend's or having a friend bring their n64 over in order to play no mercy was always exciting for me.

The gameplay was simply great. Fun yet difficult. Best of all you felt in control. I quickly get bored with the modern wreslting games because I feel like the pacing and flow is terrible. Too much time spent watching moves and animations play out.

The game had some great modes with a good variety of match types and an engaging story type mode. Best of all were the unlockables, which just isn't the same anymore. I remember my friends and me trying to earn as much money as possible in order to unlock characters. Finally saving up enough to purchase someone like Shawn Michaels was extremely rewarding, unlike the "perform these tasks" method of modern wreslting games (worse is purchasing the accelerator dlc to unlock everything.)
Damn autocorrect WCW vs nwo revenge***
Old 10-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I did not like No Mercy whatsoever and have never quite understood the appeal.

It always looked and felt clunky to me, the N64 controller was awful (not something in the game's control but a negative to my experience nevertheless), and the music sounded bad (another limitation of the N64 hardware). The creation suite was strong, absolutely - especially compared to the first WWF Smackdown game, which had a rather awful creation tool - but that wasn't nearly enough to keep me coming back.

At the time I preferred THQ's WWF Smackdown series by a large margin, especially Smackdown 2: Know Your Role which basically lived in my PSX as my friends and I vied for all the titles against each other (SD!2:KYR is what I would consider as a classic). Heck, I even liked Acclaim's WWF games with their right-right-down-right body slams over the AKI-style grapplers (be it WCW-nWo Revenge, WCW vs The World, or whatever else I tried back in the day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
There's also bans awaiting those that disagree with this being the GOAT wrestling game.
You can't ban me, I'm also a mod!
Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
I've played wrestling games since Pro Wrestling on NES, and this will always be in my top 2 or 3.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7

No Mercy was a great game no doubt, and I put MANY hours into it back it the day, but the main gripe I had with it and what kept it from being near perfect for its time was the choppiness when several wrestlers were on the screen at once. Nonetheless, it was still a GREAT game.

That being said, my choice for best wrestling video game is the very underrated Day of Reckoning 2. Such a great but forgotten wrestling game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #16
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Feels bad to say I never even played it until a few years ago. I had a PlayStation and was never really a multiple console kid so I didn't have an N64. My friends with an N64 had WM2000 and my cousin with the N64 only had the WCW/nWo game.

So looking through the lens of playing this for the first time a few years ago...I don't know. Some stuff feels really dated (obviously) but the momentum swings in the matches feel better than what we have today, and that makes it really fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »