Home

WWE 2K19 Community Impressions

This is a discussion on WWE 2K19 Community Impressions within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #73
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: WWE 2K19 Community Impressions

Long time wrestling fan here. I must confess, I love the n64 No Mercy game. They have even modded the game with current wrestlers. But after watching some youtube videos of wwe2k19, I was blown away. As a result, I bought an xbox one s and the wwek19 deluxe.

Right out of the gate, the number of characters is huge. They have old school guys as well as wwe NXT/future guys. The animations are nothing less than superb. The dynamic clothes move around with the hero (the dynamic hair moves as well, but moves too much). They have a huge number of open spots for CAWs which can be instantly downloaded (limit of 20 per day). The number of arenas and places to fight outside the ring are plentiful. The interactions with the environment are totally worth it. It also allows 8 guys in the ring at once.

The MyPlayer mode is the story mode. It is well done and very entertaining. Of course, it has you fight multiple match types, and has all the drama you would expect from wwe.

There are other modes but I have not went thru them all yet.

Wwe2k19 has mastered the attributes and skills. Your reversal attributes directly corresponds to how many reversals you get. Your strength determines what weight you can lift. Different types of wrestlers have predetermined limits to the attributes. It is really deep, and I think is a great plus to the game. Then each player has skills and paybacks. Now, you can command a manager to interrupt a match. Finally, some of these variables are shown in the players HUD. This let's him know his health, stamina, momentum (spirit) and when he can do signature and finishers. This HUD is awesome!

All the bells and whistles mean nothing if the game mechanics isn't right. No Mercy continued from previous games, including original nintendo Pro Wrestling and every wrestling arcade game. Wwe2k19 has tried to make less arcade and more simulation. Sure they offer sliders to allow the user more arcade type options, but you cannot fix mechanics with a slider. Previous genres had a simple short and long press of a button for strikes and grapples. Post lock up on a grapple, you would pick your grapple move or Irish whip. Timing of reversals were done at the point of impact. Wwe2k has a different philosophy. There is no grapple lock up. You have short and long presses for strike and grapple and a different press for Irish whip. You can do a face lock for additional moves which can be selected after the lock up. The reversals are done just prior to the animation starting or just the first few frames. I am pretty sure older games allowed for multiple reversal button mashing whereas wwe2k allows just one attempt. All these changes makes the games very difficult to pick up and play. There is a learning curve.

It took a week to beat Myplayer the first time, the majority being the first half a dozen chapters. My second time playing it, I made it thru the first half a dozen chapters in a day.

This learning curve can be overlooked. This is where adjusting the joystick would help immensely. I do not want to use RS Or RB to grapple. I would rather use Y button. Signature and finished should be two buttons (x and a, and y and b). Pull up a player should be RB. I should be able to smack away a grapple with LB and reverse with RB. But of course, there is no option to change controller (or smack away a grapple with a button push even though the animation is there in a reversal).

The elephant in the room is the pins and submissions. The pins need you to press A button within a certain time window. It's like the impossible arcade game where you have to press the button at the right time to win. You can practice this with last man standing match. But some days I can stop on a sliver, other days I'd miss the wide side of a barn. Needless to say it's stupid and ruins the game. You can dominate a match and lose because you have bad timing. The submissions are just as bad. You play cat and mouse overlapping your opponent growing a blue or red circle. Even the alternate button mashing fails, as it has you to switch buttons. I cannot say enough bad things about this. Maxed out attributes cannot over this bad design. The developer that thought this was good should be tar and feathered. In some states, he may be electric chair worthy (ok maybe a little hyperbole).

Within the first week of owning the game it has crashed and rebooted three times. If you select players quickly, the match up screen has tons of artifacts and looks horrible. There is significant slow down at the beginning of a match with a running clothesline. The ropes have terrible detection and get messed up with the character a lot. For a platform that has been around for five years (wwe2k14), this is really sad.

Next is the wish list.
I wish they allowed more then 4 ring attires per hero. I would like unlimited CAWs as much as my hard drive allows. I would like the game superstars appearance editable so that they can be made in future drops. They should add a line for CAWs creator, so they get credit.

Easy to share CAWs from ps4 or pc.

Online play without xbox live.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. The game is beautifully done and has many options I want in a wrestling game. If I had the source code and can change joystick, pins, and submissions this would easily be 5 out of 5.

Last edited by WWF_Legend; 01-03-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added more
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #74
Rookie

Syrjis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novicain13
Anyone else having invisible characters during universe mode cutscenes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How in the blue hell this hasn't been fixed yet? Three cut scenes in the same show with invisible wrestlers. 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Old 04-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #75
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I'm a little shocked at how much I'm enjoying this. I've played the majority of the WWE games that came out this generation, and this one doesn't really change anything dramatically, but it's been a lot of fun to play. I've only been running random matches, but I'm looking forward to messing around with Showcase and Universe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #76
Rookie

As someone who hasn't dove deep into WWE games aside from SvR 2007, I'm very pleased with this game. So far I'm having a blast with Universe Mode and the creativity I can put into it, And a lot of Community Creations I've seen have blown me away.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

So this game is $19.99 at Best Buy ($16 with GCU) is it worth it?

Edit: actually just $17.99 on PSN. Might as well go digital.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #78
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
So this game is $19.99 at Best Buy ($16 with GCU) is it worth it?

Edit: actually just $17.99 on PSN. Might as well go digital.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Operation Sports mobile app
Yes. The MyCareer is pretty fun and the overall roster, community creations, and gameplay are very good this year.

One of the better WWE games in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #79
Pro

OVR: 6

If there’s is anyone in PSN who wants to play some matches add me on PSN IsomotionKing or private’s message me here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
This video game is a SIMULATION of BASKETBALL. Sure its not 100% perfect, but its pretty damn good. You will not get a SIMULATION STYLE BASKETBALL GAME by PLAYING SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHAT SIMULATION MEANS.

#HelloBrooklyn
Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #80
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Bought this a day ago and really liking it.

I have a question. I didn't buy the deluxe version. If I start a Universe Mode, can I add wrestlers to it later if I say purchase a WWE Legend or upload a downloadable character?
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »