Home
News Post

We have just posted our MLB '06: The Show review. Find out what Clay Shaver has to say about it. Mark Fossen chimes in at the end of the review with a "Second Opinion" as well.
"When the “experts” looked at the 2005 Major League Baseball season, it was hard to find any of these gurus who picked the Chicago White Sox to finish any higher than third in the American League Central. It was the Twins’ division to lose. The Cleveland Indians looked like the young upstarts with the firepower to make a run at the top, or maybe nab the wild-card. The sleeper team in the division was, believe it or not, the Detroit Tigers. The pundits had the ChiSox no better than 3rd, but most slotted them at the bottom battling the Kansas City Royals for last in the Central."

Member Comments
# 1 mgoblue @ 03/14/06 06:22 PM
I hate you Clay, with a passion...I was probably gonna skip a baseball game this year (not really into the 2k series for baseball), but when I start getting my baseball game jitters in April I'll have to go with this...I enjoyed it on the PSP last year, and will have to dust off the PS2 for the first time in god knows how long

# 2 Erratic @ 03/14/06 06:58 PM
I don't see how a game with constant fielding errors (balls rolling past fielders like they are invisible) gets a 10/10 but to each his own...

# 3 fossen @ 03/14/06 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
I don't see how a game with constant fielding errors (balls rolling past fielders like they are invisible) gets a 10/10 but to each his own...
I did see that out of the box, but a switch to "assist" fielding made it completely disappear. I don't know they were ever constant, though. 1-2 times a game doesn't qualify as "constant" to me ....

... but to each his own.

# 4 cjonesfan921 @ 03/14/06 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
I did see that out of the box, but a switch to "assist" fielding made it completely disappear. I don't know they were ever constant, though. 1-2 times a game doesn't qualify as "constant" to me ....

... but to each his own.
I have only seen it like 3-4 times and thats in 15+games.

# 5 nyisles16 @ 03/14/06 08:28 PM
good review.. i have to say, the game was a "system seller" to me.. i picked up a ps2 slim again for the game.. i am soo glad i did..

# 6 samari2185 @ 03/14/06 08:49 PM
I don't even like baseball that much, but I'm gonna buy this. You guys sold me.

# 7 Big Pimp 11 @ 03/15/06 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
We have just posted our MLB '06: The Show review. Find out what Clay Shaver has to say about it. Mark Fossen chimes in at the end of the review with a "Second Opinion" as well.
"When the “experts” looked at the 2005 Major League Baseball season, it was hard to find any of these gurus who picked the Chicago White Sox to finish any higher than third in the American League Central. It was the Twins’ division to lose. The Cleveland Indians looked like the young upstarts with the firepower to make a run at the top, or maybe nab the wild-card. The sleeper team in the division was, believe it or not, the Detroit Tigers. The pundits had the ChiSox no better than 3rd, but most slotted them at the bottom battling the Kansas City Royals for last in the Central."
I agree .. what a great baseball game ... I have the 360 but I kept my PS2 just for this game .. best game ever made PERIOD !!!! Baseball rules ...
Go Pirates !!!

# 8 aukevin @ 03/15/06 01:40 PM
I think this game plays a near perfect game on the field and improved on every aspect of last year's game, so I agree with a high rating for the game. I wouldn't give it a perfect score because of some of the glitches and oddities throughout the game, but when you are actually playing a baseball game it is near perfect. I too have had the fielding problems, with assisted fielding on, and it has costs me a few games, but I don't think it is prevelant throughout the game.

Unfortunately for me, I don't find this the most fun game. I still consider MVP 05 the best MLB game. I don't know if it is the long game times due to the outstanding presentation in The Show, the lesser graphics/audio provided by the PS2, or what, but I just don't enjoy playing this game as much as others in the past. But I do like the game and I look forward to seeing what they can do with the PS3.

PS: Great review Clay and Mark!

# 9 Beantown @ 03/15/06 02:24 PM
MVPer chiming in here.....

I might have to actually buy a baseball game this year.(I'llw ait to see the review of the 360 MLB before I bite on this...but I was thinking about buying it and now I pretty much will unless 2k produces some amazing game)

# 10 Big Pimp 11 @ 03/17/06 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I think this game plays a near perfect game on the field and improved on every aspect of last year's game, so I agree with a high rating for the game. I wouldn't give it a perfect score because of some of the glitches and oddities throughout the game, but when you are actually playing a baseball game it is near perfect. I too have had the fielding problems, with assisted fielding on, and it has costs me a few games, but I don't think it is prevelant throughout the game.

Unfortunately for me, I don't find this the most fun game. I still consider MVP 05 the best MLB game. I don't know if it is the long game times due to the outstanding presentation in The Show, the lesser graphics/audio provided by the PS2, or what, but I just don't enjoy playing this game as much as others in the past. But I do like the game and I look forward to seeing what they can do with the PS3.

PS: Great review Clay and Mark!
What I like best about this game is it is baseball ... and it's as true to the real gamne as your going to get ... I think the players look great for the most part ,the gameplay is just amzing and the pitching ... GOTTA LOVE IT . I rather pitch and play "D" than bat . I am looking forward to the new baseball for the 360 though ! I just dont like EA Sports baseball games, now the NCAA Game is pretty darn good though !!!!

# 11 VanillaGorilla @ 04/09/06 07:14 PM
No, it isn't true to the real game. In the real game, you won't see Carlos Silva throwing a 96 MPH 4 seam fastball, then 2 innings later, throw a 87 MPH 4 seamer. In the real game, there are bloop singles. In the real game, starting pitchers can give up 2 runs in an early inning and not get pulled after throwing 35 pitches. This game is good, but it's just that, "Good". It is, in no way, great, at least when it comes to the actual baseball gameplay. Yes, the presentation and fielding animations are excellent, and the pitching is a basic take on MVP's system, but when the hitting and fielding still feel like they belong in a PSOne game, you have problems. A 10, in this case, is an absolute joke.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.