Home
News Post

We have just posted our Major League Baseball 2K6 review. Find out what Mark Fossen had to say about it.
"The life of a videogame reviewer seems glamorous: fast cars, beautiful women, and baccarat in Monte Carlo. Reviewing seems like James Bond with 100% less wacky villains wearing razor-edged bowler hats. We sit in the lap of luxury, dispensing our scores like the gods of old.

Generally, you'd be right. That's about how we roll. But then along comes something like Major League Baseball 2K6 for the Xbox 360, and makes you question your life of game-reviewing adventure. It's times like this you realize that when compared to a buggy, rushed game like this ... well, that razor-edged bowler hat doesn't look half bad."

Member Comments
# 1 TheLetterZ @ 04/18/06 09:12 AM
:y4:

Good job, Mark.

# 2 Skerik @ 04/18/06 09:37 AM

# 3 devilsjaw @ 04/18/06 09:43 AM
Glad I never bought this game. Long live MLB06:The Show!

# 4 luv_mist @ 04/18/06 09:44 AM
Um, I hope this doesn't kill any friendship ya'll guys had with 2K cause man are ya'll kicking them in the balls or what!! Hilarious stuff. Guess this makes my purchase from eventually to a hell naw.......

# 5 mjb2124 @ 04/18/06 10:07 AM
Excellent review Mark.

# 6 dubplate @ 04/18/06 10:13 AM
This is the first review I highly disagree with. The game is buggy, but it plays a damn good game of baseball with some slider tweaks. 1/10 is pretty harsh.

# 7 gtm @ 04/18/06 10:20 AM
Very well said. They better heed our calling.

# 8 Shaver @ 04/18/06 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplate
This is the first review I highly disagree with. The game is buggy, but it plays a damn good game of baseball with some slider tweaks. 1/10 is pretty harsh.
Remember, Mark's experience was a 1/10... if you're not getting freezing (or the freezing doesn't bother you), clearly you will score it higher.

# 9 fossen @ 04/18/06 10:23 AM
Quote:
The game, out of the box, does not play. It does not play a "damn good game of baseball" for most people, because last I checked a baseball game was 9 innings. I often downplay statistical inaccuracies in baseball games, but that's one stat that's hard to ignore.

Obviously, had the game simply worked, there would be a different review. I think the fact that many reviews did not mention the freeze is a disservice to consumers - no one should be buying this game, at least not until it's patched.

# 10 ehh @ 04/18/06 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
Um, I hope this doesn't kill any friendship ya'll guys had with 2K cause man are ya'll kicking them in the balls or what!! Hilarious stuff. Guess this makes my purchase from eventually to a hell naw.......
Oh well, the truth hurts sometimes but it needs to be said.

# 11 Nivek @ 04/18/06 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Oh well, the truth hurts sometimes but it needs to be said.
Exactly!

God bless MVP Mods, as those guys have saved baseball for me and millions of others.

# 12 EnigmaNemesis @ 04/18/06 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
The game, out of the box, does not play. It does not play a "damn good game of baseball" for most people, because last I checked a baseball game was 9 innings. I often downplay statistical inaccuracies in baseball games, but that's one stat that's hard to ignore.

Obviously, had the game simply worked, there would be a different review. I think the fact that many reviews did not mention the freeze is a disservice to consumers - no one should be buying this game, at least not until it's patched.
I agree, great review. I am SHOCKED other reviewers did not mention the freezing in their reviews. They are usually all over this kind of thing, especially and "exclusive" license console game doing it.

I was so disapointed by this game. Cant wait for MLB The Show on the PS3, 2K will need a miracle to have this do a 180 on the XBox next year. (though it is possible)

Not to mention those dirt bags bought the PC license as well and didnt even release a PC version for the mod community to make better. That is dirty 2K. If you were not going to make a game for it, leave it alone for EA to make a newer version. Even if it was only and updated roster and season in EA's 06 for the PC, it would still be leaps and bounds better.

# 13 poster @ 04/18/06 01:28 PM
I gave this game an honest effort, and I gave up. It's 2006 and this is the XBOX 360. If this is the best they can do, we baseball fans that have a 360 are in trouble. Nice scam job on the graphics. They are no where close to those renders(?) they first put up. Freezing sucks, and too many things left out. Get rid of Kush

# 14 poster @ 04/18/06 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrabbit91
Reformat your 360 and you will c 0 freezes.

I could do it, but I wont. If the game was good enough I would have, but its in the mail on the way to someone else anyways. Glad you are enjoying it though. Take care!

# 15 Dzson @ 04/18/06 02:06 PM
i think the point of giving such a low score is to show 2k sports they better get of their behinds and fix there game

# 16 thmst30 @ 04/18/06 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrabbit91
this is an awesome game. After you fix freezing. It just has fielding porblems that i got used to/baserunning which you can get used to. The more you play this game the more you like it. It plays 10 times at relistic as mvp. With Inside edge. I threw a game yesterday at bush stadium i was reds. Milton won the game and threw 109 pitches something you'd never c on mvp.And it was so great how inside edge is because i struck out pujols iwth the game on the line. Amazing graphics also. I gave the game a 8.3. and i had freezing one day but fixed it. By reformatting my 360.
If you think that this crap is awesome, then if you play MLB 06 you will think you are in heaven. I have NEVER played any of Sony's games before, but MLB 06 IS "a damn good game of baseball". 2K6 is "a damn embarrasment for baseball".

# 17 thmst30 @ 04/18/06 03:21 PM
As for Inside Edge. Its fun IN-GAME, but worthless OUT OF GAME. I simmed a season and the Atlanta Braves won 132 games. 132 GAMES!!! John Smoltz was, GET THIS, 27-0 with a 1.55 ERA. WTF. Also some guy I've never heard of before went 25-2 with a 1.50 ERA and broke the strikeout record with 477 strikeouts. YEA RIGHT. Just to make sure this wasn't a glitch, I resimmed the year 4 more times, and ever time some pitcher won at least 25-26 games and one team won at least 130 games. Give me a break.

# 18 StriderNo9 @ 04/18/06 06:51 PM
And these are the guys that hold the contract? Ugh, just trade it with EA for the Football license.

# 19 edub2437 @ 04/18/06 07:45 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. There are a few noticeable "mess-ups", but the game plays well, and I can't complain.

# 20 Dan Clarke @ 04/18/06 08:25 PM
Quick synopsis:

1. Most of the big game sites didn't write about the crashing because they didn't encounter it. They play final 'golds' on debug units. Folks, this is reason #1 why you don't review a gold. It's not the same as a retail. Other things this happened to were the Midway games on the Dreamcast like Ready to Rumble and Hydro Thunder (those of you old enough to remember 1999 may recall Midway recalled those games and reissued them with a HOT! NEW! sticker. There was a production -- not a game-- defect).

2. Slider tweaks. Bwhahaha. I love that response. Seriously.

3. This makes the first world series baseball on the Dreamcast look awesome. I remember calling Sega PR to make sure I didn't have a bad copy of the game. They called me back, no fielding is automatic to make it easier. bwahahaha.

4. I guess it could be worse. You could have given Fight Night Round 3 a 10/10.

5. I believe Craig gave a game a 0 back in the day, but the worst review I could find was Jeff Downey's review for Swamp Buggy Racing right here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200004130...e=swampbuggypc

Oops, Quarterback Club for the Dreamcast sucked too:
http://web.archive.org/web/200006010...p?game=qbc00dc

We had hired Scott Bedard to do a site redesign and he also did a review for us. He then decided to start a little known site called Game Rankings. Scott, thanks so much for thinking of me after you became a billionaire. Anyway, he did a review for Extreme Watersports and gave it a 5/100:

http://web.archive.org/web/200005301...extremewaterpc

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.