Home
News Post

We have just posted our Major League Baseball 2K7 review. Find out what Clay Shaver had to say about it.
"There’s no denying the passion of a baseball fan. Rivaled only by college football - perhaps - no game generates more dyed in the wool fans with live, breath, eat and sleep your favorite team passion more than Major League Baseball. Whether it’s the perennial powerhouses like the Red Sox or Yankees or the lovable losers like the Cubs, there’s no mistaking a baseball fan."

Member Comments
# 1 Mjphillips @ 03/13/07 10:19 AM
Great review. I would have given it the same score. Now I want to hear from all these guys that would give it an 8 or above. I don't know how they could truly disagree with your assesment.

# 2 KBomber @ 03/13/07 01:46 PM
It's kind of funny when you think about it:

In NFL football, the greatest comparator for all games is still NFL 2k5
In MLB baseball, the same holds true for MVP 05

After a while you really do need to ask the question as to whether these 2 leagues are really paying attention to what's happening with their virtual properties. If nothing else the performance of the "exclusive" rights holders has been very disappointing

Interesting read on the review

Have fun...........

# 3 Big Pimp 11 @ 03/13/07 03:25 PM
Your kidding me huh ? a 7, are u kidding ??? This is a VERY VERY good baseball game , the best baseball on the market todate and I can say that because I have owned every baseball title since Atari baseball. I cant find fault in this game at all, for one it is a game not real so were always going to have some issues, yes I would have liked to see some Spring tarining games but no big deal to me at all, I would have liked to have seen a few more names on the roster but again small details. Thsi is a fantastic game, the pitching is great ( I use mode2 ) and I use classic swing , I didnt really care for the swing stick, a lil to hard to use FOR ME.
The game is very true to the real thing, broken bats , hits up the middle, the ball boy getting a foul ball,etc etc this game should have cornered EA's them " If it's in the game , it's in the game ". I'm usually very hard to please with baseball games because I usually find every flaw it has , but I can honestly say I love this game and give it a 10 out of 10 stars.
Next years game will be sick .... I can only imagine how it can get better.
GO PIRATES

# 4 ty5oke @ 03/13/07 03:40 PM
I found it to be a very fair review. I am enjoying the game but there is definetly room for improvement, especially in franchise mode.

# 5 ewto16 @ 03/13/07 04:17 PM
I find it interesting that there is no mention made of how the rosters and lineups get broken in the Franchise mode. As this is the biggest issue on the forums, I would have thought it would at least get a mention in the article.

I agree that the gameplay is fun and intertaining, but busted lineup and guys hanging out in the minors is really unacceptable for a Franchise mode. There is a LOT of work to be done in this area.

# 6 ewto16 @ 03/13/07 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pimp 11
Your kidding me huh ? a 7, are u kidding ??? This is a VERY VERY good baseball game , the best baseball on the market todate and I can say that because I have owned every baseball title since Atari baseball. I cant find fault in this game at all, for one it is a game not real so were always going to have some issues, yes I would have liked to see some Spring tarining games but no big deal to me at all, I would have liked to have seen a few more names on the roster but again small details. Thsi is a fantastic game, the pitching is great ( I use mode2 ) and I use classic swing , I didnt really care for the swing stick, a lil to hard to use FOR ME.
The game is very true to the real thing, broken bats , hits up the middle, the ball boy getting a foul ball,etc etc this game should have cornered EA's them " If it's in the game , it's in the game ". I'm usually very hard to please with baseball games because I usually find every flaw it has , but I can honestly say I love this game and give it a 10 out of 10 stars.
Next years game will be sick .... I can only imagine how it can get better.
GO PIRATES
A 10 out of 10 would seem to indicate that the game was perfect and met your expectations in every way. That it was the BEST game ever and that there weren't things missing from the game or features that were lacking in any area.

You highlight a lack of Spring Training games and names missing from the rosters as two things that bothered you, even if it was a little bit. That should make it a less than perfect game for you, so your score should reflect that in some way.

With the complexity of sports games, I can't imagine there ever being a sports game that actually gets a 10 out of 10. There will always be someting wrong with it.

# 7 Skyboxer @ 03/13/07 04:48 PM
I totally agree with the score. The game looks great but it still needs work in a few areas to be considered a "top" game.
The good news is 2K is going in the right direction and hopefully they will continue to.

# 8 dbeth @ 03/13/07 05:01 PM
Considering 2k6 got a 0/10, 2k made serious leaps!!!

# 9 Fatalah @ 03/13/07 06:00 PM
I'm surprised the review didn't mention the frequent framerate problems and the occasional loading screen.

I'm glad he mentioned the awkwardness of the fielding camera.

With the framerate,loading, and fielding camera problems variables fixed, I believe this game could rank a 7.5.

Maybe we'll see a framerate fix with a patch?

Still, it's amazing all the problems Kush resolved since 2k6. We should all have newfound faith in 2k8.

# 10 Triggerfish @ 03/13/07 07:27 PM
Nice review...score is fair....it will hold me till "the show" drops next month. (which is all i hoped for this year anyway) Agreed 100% with the fielding comments. Out of the box its "the Bigs" with sliders it is playable. Big improvement from last year and can't wait to see what another year does!

# 11 Heelfan71 @ 03/13/07 08:32 PM
a review is one persons opinion. Look beyond the actual score and read the review. The most important stuff is the review itself, not the score.

# 12 Shaver @ 03/13/07 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottd
Not true they gave NHL 2k a 10/10. Clay can you explain that to me? Just curious why you didn't come to the same conclusion with this game. I would give the game 7.5 to 8 it is fun to play, but with the fielding problems some are having and the lack of cams and the franchise problems I would say more of 7.5.
(A) A score of 10, as it has been discussed countless times, does not mean perfection.

(B) I like Strawberry Ice Cream. It's my favorite. I dislike Rocky Road. But, that doesn't mean that Rocky Road can't be FANTASTIC, GREAT, PARTY IN THE MOUTH for someone else simply because I don't like it. What I view as flaws in Rocky Road...marshmellow (sp?) and nuts... is not the same opinion as everyone else.

(C) My reviews and subsequent scores are based 100% on my experience. I don't read forums or seek out bugs. I don't ignore them when I find them, but I don't try to break games. The beefs that people had with the NHL game I simply did not have.... The issues that I had with MLB may not have been had by other players.

For the 352,346,755th time here at OS... read the content... not the score. Nit-picking over a number is like saying "I won't sleep with Salma Hayak because she's 40."

# 13 Gthasportsgamer @ 03/13/07 10:12 PM
Nit-picking over a number is like saying "I won't sleep with Salma Hayak because she's 40."
Classic!

# 14 seanmac @ 03/13/07 10:19 PM
I would give the game somewhere between an 8 and a 9, myself. Franchise mode issues have no impact on me as I only play seasons and/or exhibitions. The game engine itself is fantastic, it looks beautiful, and it's got character. (I love the fact that you'll see teams get into beanball wars, for instance.) The swing stick hasn't given me any problems and the fielding camera, while not ideal, hasn't hindered my play as much as it might have with some others.

Basically I look at the game engine, the fluidity of play and the fun factor and that's it, and by those measures, 2K7 is about as good as it gets.

# 15 Steve_OS @ 03/13/07 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gthasportsgamer
Nit-picking over a number is like saying "I won't sleep with Salma Hayak because she's 40."
Classic!

# 16 diamondmd @ 03/13/07 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
She is 40 already! Damn Im getting old.

# 17 RyanHollweg44 @ 03/14/07 02:22 AM
Wow. this game is completely awesome. I was expecting a lot from 2k7 since I have been a hardcore 2k6 fan. I have been playing that game throughout the winter and was very impressed with everything in 2k7. The graphics are awesome and the game play is super smooth. I’m also a fan of the soundtrack in this game. I’ve been rocking the game in HD and it really looks sick. Any baseball fan this is a must game. I have it for xbox360 and I have played it on ps3. Both awesome. This game brings back the excitement when I first got RBI baseball for Nintendo.

# 18 KBomber @ 03/14/07 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gthasportsgamer
Classic!
In dog years Selma is only 6, so what me worry?

Have fun............

# 19 Big Pimp 11 @ 03/15/07 03:54 PM
Ok ok it's not a 10 damnit man .... I still love this game... best baseball game on the market to date for sure .. I suck at the base running but i'm learning..
9.5 out of 10 how's that ??

# 20 bighouse44 @ 03/16/07 12:14 AM
I would like to smack the programmer who left in the switch hitting during the at bat. I think it is the RB on the X360 controller. This person definitely didn’t play baseball or maybe he was thinking it was a wiffle ball game or something. We used to do that when we were kids. I know it has happened during an MLB game but maybe 3 times in 100 years. That’s ridiculous even having that in the game. The programmers also had the smarts to have Morgan and Miller say some thing about it while it happens. This game is improved from 06 but I would say it deserves only a 7. Some good a lot of bad. Any one have a player just freeze with the ball while the runner takes 2nd base Maybe it is my controller wearing down but I was pressing the button and nothing happened. The runner took 2nd with no problem.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.