Home
News Post

As many of you have already read, we are in the middle of a major redesign and upgrade to Operation Sports. The plan is to launch the new site next month. The first step towards making this a reality happens late tonight, with a major server upgrade about to take place.

For those of you who are tech minded, here is what we are doing. Currently we run OS on two servers. One for web services and one for DB services. Both servers are quite powerful, with Dual Core processors in them. During peak times (e.g. when Madden comes out) they tend to slow down a bit. To avoid this, we are upgrading to three dedicated servers. Two of these servers will be dedicated to web processes and load balanced to ensure that resources are allocated appropriately during peak times. The other will be a dedicated DB server. Each of these servers has a QUAD CORE processor inside of them with 4GB of RAM, 8MB cache and 100Mbps transfer rates. For those of you who are not tech minded… they rock! These servers not only give us the power we need today to ensure your time spent of OS is done at lightning fast speeds, but also gives us the ability to upgrade seamlessly as we grow.

Tonight there will be some minor down-time (15-20 mins while we backup the DB) followed by an IP address change which will require everyone's ISP to propagate to the new server. For most of you this will be almost instantaneous (you'll wake up in the morning and be on the new servers). For some of you it might take up to 24 hours. 

Sorry about any inconvenience this may cause, however in the long term we know you'll be happy with the results of this upgrade.

EDIT: Move has been completed.

Member Comments
# 1 Steve_OS @ 01/18/08 11:27 PM
We are planning on doing this very late tonight, so we don't affect too many readers. Thanks for your patience.

# 2 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/19/08 12:57 AM
Sweet, I cant wait till you guys get the redesign up. I remember the site before this one ... and cant wait to see the new one. The memories!

# 3 bronco92 @ 01/19/08 05:28 AM
Upgrade is now complete. We are optimizing the servers currently. If you notice any issues please report them here.

# 4 bronco92 @ 01/19/08 05:48 AM
Resolved the issue with postindex.MYI being broken. You can post again.

# 5 erdrive03 @ 01/19/08 11:39 AM
Keep up the god work guys.

# 6 Boltman @ 01/19/08 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdrive03
Keep up the god work guys.

I agree, this is more than just good work. This is God like work!

# 7 RAZRr1275 @ 01/19/08 07:12 PM
this actually is faster. Nice Work!!

# 8 bronco92 @ 01/20/08 04:10 AM
If anyone was having troubles with new posts being posted slowly this has now been resolved.

# 9 crgnjul @ 01/20/08 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Sweet, I cant wait till you guys get the redesign up. I remember the site before this one ... and cant wait to see the new one. The memories!

The old design - you mean this one? http://web.archive.org/web/200112050...vault/news.asp
or maybe this one
http://web.archive.org/web/199901251...ionsports.com/

# 10 Steve_OS @ 01/20/08 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgnjul
Ahhhhh, the classics. Thanks Craig.

# 11 superjames1992 @ 01/21/08 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco92
If anyone was having troubles with new posts being posted slowly this has now been resolved.
Thanks. Last night, I had some trouble with this. Thanks for fixing it, you all are the best!

# 12 superjames1992 @ 01/21/08 11:52 PM
Quote:
Wow, this site has truly progressed over the years.

# 13 Boltman @ 01/22/08 10:09 AM
Quote:
Read a good post in the classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTShaver
I just wanted to personally thank Jeff for keeping Operation Sports alive when Craig stepped down. As a reviewer, and mostly a fan of this site, it has been a great ride.

I also want to thank you for handing the reins over to Steve so that Operation Sports doesn't die like so many other great sites have.

Thank You, Jeff...

Clay T. Shaver
Operation Sports
Dedicated to Sports Gaming

http://web.archive.org/web/200205281...sp?Do=top39716

# 14 blaza @ 01/24/08 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Ahhhhh, the classics. Thanks Craig.
Steve, first great work so far. I am a frequent visitor of this site as well as DSM. For some reason OS is one of the few sites blocked on my work server. I can visit DSM fine however. Is there anything I can do to be able to visit OS as well? Also, after the merger will I be unable to visit DSM since it'll be under the OS umbrella?

# 15 Steve_OS @ 01/24/08 08:35 PM
The DSM guys are working on something to solve the block problem.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.