Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

Matt Blumenthal had an opportunity to demo Major League Baseball 2K8 this afternoon. His official writeup of the event will be up later this week, but we wanted to get some quick thoughts up here for you guys.
  • This game looks beautiful, the player models have improved but the real leap is in the animations. The animations move silky smooth and there is no need to worry about herky jerky animations of the past anymore.
  • I'm impressed with how intuitive and fresh the analog controls are. The pitching takes a little time to get the hang of but the new mechanics add a whole new dimension to the pitching model.
  • The baseball cards feature is surprisingly cool, expect me to have more on that later on this week.
  • In-game saves are officially in the game this year.
  • Check swings don't seem to be a chore anymore. They are now accomplished by pulling back on the right analog stick - no more right trigger necessary.
  • Stadium-specific animations are in. The Yankee Roll Call was mentioned specifically.
  • There should be plenty of foul balls this year. I saw several in the few at-bats I played.
  • No spring training games this year.
  • I counted eight unlockable classic stadiums. I think more might be available by default as well.
  • No co-op play
  • You will have the option to make trades for CPU-controlled teams in franchise mode, but you won't be able to edit their rotations and lineups.
  • It was suggested to me that the demo is done and has been submitted. If that's the case, it's in Microsoft's hands now.
  • I will hit on a few of the big questions from the forum here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 lendog691 @ 02/26/08 06:50 PM
What a frickin' joke!!You can have these stupid player cards but you can't control the lineups of all the teams? so that makes the game unplayable for me and who cares if you can control it before your game. this is very very bad and no wonder 2k sports keeps losing there games,first football,. then there college basketball game and this will soon follow.If they want to cater to the arcade crowd thats fine but i'm finding out now the Show is for real baseball fans! Sorry 2k sports you've just lost a customer for good and no one will care in a couple years when you close the doors. KG was smart to get out now.

# 102 PVarck31 @ 02/26/08 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendog691
What a frickin' joke!!You can have these stupid player cards but you can't control the lineups of all the teams? so that makes the game unplayable for me and who cares if you can control it before your game. this is very very bad and no wonder 2k sports keeps losing there games,first football,. then there college basketball game and this will soon follow.If they want to cater to the arcade crowd thats fine but i'm finding out now the Show is for real baseball fans! Sorry 2k sports you've just lost a customer for good and no one will care in a couple years when you close the doors. KG was smart to get out now.
This isn't directed to just you, but what do you guys want to control. I must be missing something here. If you can edit cpu lineups and rotations before the game, then what is the problem? Do you mean you want to make managerial decisions for the cpu in game?

I'm

# 103 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 06:59 PM
Quote:
I'm not a real baseball fan because I don't have The Show? Darn. Anyone want to buy some Cubs season tickets?

# 104 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 07:00 PM
Quote:
Yeah I think it's time for you to move-on buddy. I though you would take the high road on this-1 but I guess that wasn't possible. Total LAME way to go out BTW

# 105 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKermit
I'm not a real baseball fan because I don't have The Show? Darn. Anyone want to buy some Cubs season tickets?
I'd argue that the Cubs don't play real baseball either.

# 106 lendog691 @ 02/26/08 07:00 PM
I can't help it i was looking really foward to this game and now that it's a complete waste, i'm freaking out! What i should do is when i buy my PS3 send the bill to 2KSPORTS thats the least they could do for my pain and suffering and pocket book! I'm also sorry you guys have to hear me rant and rave but i do fell better.

# 107 PVarck31 @ 02/26/08 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Oh snap, But really the Cubs should be very good this year. I am really hoping to get to Chi-town to see a game this year.

# 108 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
You wouldn't get much of an argument out of me. My blood pressure goes on its annual spike in t-minus 34 days.

# 109 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Oh snap, But really the Cubs should be very good this year. I am really hoping to get to Chi-town to see a game this year.
If you make it here, please, please, please don't call it Chi-town. And along those lines, please don't ever call them the Cubbies.

# 110 PVarck31 @ 02/26/08 07:09 PM
Quote:
If you make it here, please, please, please don't call it Chi-town. And along those lines, please don't ever call them the Cubbies.
Whats wrong with Chi-town? I for sure won't call them the Cubbies though, I hate that. I should be up there in June. I have family in Elgin.

# 111 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 07:13 PM
Quote:
Whats wrong with Chi-town? I for sure won't call them the Cubbies though, I hate that. I should be up there in June. I have family in Elgin.
To me, it just sounds terrible and touristy. It'd be like calling Akron "Ak-land," or something ridiculous.

# 112 PVarck31 @ 02/26/08 07:15 PM
Quote:
To me, it just sounds terrible and touristy. It'd be like calling Akron "Ak-land," or something ridiculous.
I got ya. Out of respect to you, I will forever call it Chicago.

# 113 Diesel3649 @ 02/26/08 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac910
Will Joba Chamberlain have a portrait by opening day?
Off topic, but I was shocked to hear that before spring training games have even begun, the Yankees have put Joba back in the bullpen. They must really not think much of there pen. I was really looking forward to seeing him start.

# 114 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 07:16 PM
Quote:
I got ya. Out of respect to you, I will forever call it Chicago.
Ha ha! You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

# 115 TheWrightWay @ 02/26/08 07:25 PM
fyi joba isnt in the pen anymore Hank S opened his mouth about that and Joe Giradi was quick to correct him, Joba is a starter

# 116 Diesel3649 @ 02/26/08 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrightWay
fyi joba isnt in the pen anymore Hank S opened his mouth about that and Joe Giradi was quick to correct him, Joba is a starter
Thanks for the clarification, looking forward to seeing him, kid's got tons of talent.

# 117 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrightWay
Really, that news to me. Everything I've read so far has Joba as our 8th inning guy

# 118 RunN1st @ 02/26/08 07:49 PM
Please guys, not the blue bats again!

# 119 lendog691 @ 02/26/08 07:51 PM
Don't you guys want it to be real ? I suppose some don't care but i think and for me anyway it just doesn't feel right. Do you think the Yankees would bat ARod leadoff or the Mets have J.Reyes bat clean up ? No, never in real life, this is what get when the ai controls the lineups and such, and there for you won't get realistic stats or games and it takes the fun out of it for me anyways. I just don't understand why they can't do this? I'll hold out hope until the game comes out or maybe they make a patch for it and i am sorry for being an *** about it , i was just looking so foward to it because last year i didn't get 2k7 cause of this problem and they supposedly didn't fix it this year either, which is why i'm upset about it.But i will get over it in time. and i really do love baseball espelly the sim kind.

# 120 bluengold34_OS @ 02/26/08 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniner2003
Please guys, not the blue bats again!
Brother, I will take pink bats as long as they SOUND like bats!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.