Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

Matt Blumenthal had an opportunity to demo Major League Baseball 2K8 this afternoon. His official writeup of the event will be up later this week, but we wanted to get some quick thoughts up here for you guys.
  • This game looks beautiful, the player models have improved but the real leap is in the animations. The animations move silky smooth and there is no need to worry about herky jerky animations of the past anymore.
  • I'm impressed with how intuitive and fresh the analog controls are. The pitching takes a little time to get the hang of but the new mechanics add a whole new dimension to the pitching model.
  • The baseball cards feature is surprisingly cool, expect me to have more on that later on this week.
  • In-game saves are officially in the game this year.
  • Check swings don't seem to be a chore anymore. They are now accomplished by pulling back on the right analog stick - no more right trigger necessary.
  • Stadium-specific animations are in. The Yankee Roll Call was mentioned specifically.
  • There should be plenty of foul balls this year. I saw several in the few at-bats I played.
  • No spring training games this year.
  • I counted eight unlockable classic stadiums. I think more might be available by default as well.
  • No co-op play
  • You will have the option to make trades for CPU-controlled teams in franchise mode, but you won't be able to edit their rotations and lineups.
  • It was suggested to me that the demo is done and has been submitted. If that's the case, it's in Microsoft's hands now.
  • I will hit on a few of the big questions from the forum here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 141 The Gamer @ 02/26/08 11:43 PM
True.

# 142 Rebel10 @ 02/27/08 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
Joe, I heard that too but it still seems that we can't get what I think is an amazingly simple answer to the bat sound question. The trailer bat sounds sounded like a real ball hitting a real bat but in every other video we have seen, they sound excactly like last years. Last years dido not sound like the real thing.

Why can't anyone that has seen a recent build of the game say yes or no to the sounds we heard in the trailer (bat hitting ball) are in deed what we will hear when we buy the game? I just don't understand. I only need to see one bat making contact with one ball to know if it sounds real or not. Crazy I say! haha
Probably for a few reasons. Most people who are watching Demo builds of the games or who can play the game are noting more important characteristics than the sound of a hit... they are also usually sitting with a developer or someone else who is talking to them about what is going on, distracting them from paying attention. Further, a lot of demos happen with the TV turned off or in loud rooms with other people and it's tough to hear the sound effects.

It's also just not as important to most people. Perhaps it should be more important than some of the big features, gameplay fixes, and so on, but it just isn't.

# 143 NYJets @ 02/27/08 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Yeah that's what I've seen as well. He was starting as the setup and slowly brought in as a starter sometime after All Star break. Has this changed?
That was a report, and imo sounds likely, but they haven't actually confirmed what they are going to do. But I think so far he is preparing as a starter.

# 144 Altimus @ 02/27/08 03:50 AM
Guys, play nice and lets get this topic back on track.

And lets also hold the Cubs/Sox warfare at least until the season starts? Thanks.

# 145 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendog691
What a frickin' joke!!You can have these stupid player cards but you can't control the lineups of all the teams? so that makes the game unplayable for me and who cares if you can control it before your game. this is very very bad and no wonder 2k sports keeps losing there games,first football,. then there college basketball game and this will soon follow.If they want to cater to the arcade crowd thats fine but i'm finding out now the Show is for real baseball fans! Sorry 2k sports you've just lost a customer for good and no one will care in a couple years when you close the doors. KG was smart to get out now.
Yeah, name calling was wrong on my part, but this post pretty much sums up why I acted so rash.

# 146 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Lendog, don't worry about it. Some guys are in attack mode all the time. Like walking in a mind field sometimes in here. Just have to wait and see about the roster thing.
I don't like to attack anyone, but I'm sick and tired of the attacks on this game when we haven't even played a demo yet.

# 147 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
Wow..very nice.. calling people names. Anyhow, where is all the great news? Half the posts on here were about bat sounds.

Uhhhh, first post?

# 148 Trapper700 @ 02/27/08 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
A little off topic but it still goes with the lineup bug. I was playing MLB Power Pros today, also made by 2K, and I did a fantasy draft in my franchise. I go to play my first game and guess who's batting lead-off for the cpu? None other than David Wright!

I started thinking and yes he's great contact and a little speed but come on, lead-off? I'm starting to think that 2K is having some problems with the cpu's lineup decisions. I'm getting pretty concerned and I'm kinda mad you can only adjust there lineup before a game. This really getting old.
OT, but just fyi, 2k didn't "make" mlb power pros. konami did. so whatever lineup problems you experienced in that game was konami's fault.

2ksports were just the ones who brought the game to the US and published it so that we can even play it here. unfortunately, it's likely the last version we'll see in the US due to the poor sales.

# 149 Skyboxer @ 02/27/08 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
I doubt-it Sky.. I also heard him starting in the pen & then going down to the minors to throw starter innings somewhat after the All-Star game. Personally I hope they keep him in the bullpen & groom him to be Mariano's succesor
That's what I was hoping as well.

# 150 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 10:50 AM
Quote:
Well, people won't "attack" it (I don't look at it that way), if people don't blindly praise a game they haven't even played. Two way street.
There's a difference in being disappointed something isn't in the game you wanted and posting with some intelligence vs posting that 2k sucks and what not... you get what I mean.

After the game comes out, I'm sure we'll see plenty of negativity... happens every year no matter the title, but some people are not even giving 2k8 a chance, that's all I'm saying.

Maybe I'm bias on producers like Brinkman and those who are generally concerned with their product, see SCEA as well.

# 151 PVarck31 @ 02/27/08 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
There's a difference in being disappointed something isn't in the game you wanted and posting with some intelligence vs posting that 2k sucks and what not... you get what I mean.

After the game comes out, I'm sure we'll see plenty of negativity... happens every year no matter the title, but some people are not even giving 2k8 a chance, that's all I'm saying.

Maybe I'm bias on producers like Brinkman and those who are generally concerned with their product, see SCEA as well.
my thoughts exactly.

# 152 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 11:11 AM
Quote:
What is "their" product. Many of "The Show" guys buy both games, but get jumped as soon as there might be a comparison. The fanboys here are just as bad as someone who mentions The Show, gasp. A bunch of arguing back and forth and jumping on one another.
Not even fun to post here, and it should be.

So you want just "praising"? The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I b#tched so much about The Show not having full roster control (even got into with the Devs in PM), but it made it into the game. It's my $60, and I'll complain about stuff I see. Not my fault that this game hasn't gotten out more info for the fans.
Can you read? I'm talking about PRODUCERS of games like MLB 2k and The Show. You can tell both care about their title. Same as EA Canada and the NHL series.

People get tired of hearing about the show in the MLB 2k8 forum, and vice-versa for The Show forum. If I want information on The Show, I visit that forum.

NO I don't want just "praising", but bitching about things like how the CPU AI controls its rosters is pure speculation until the game is released. You want to bitch about not being able to adjust cpu lineups, then say so, but say so with some intelligence.

I know you gripe and praise both games, but you do it in a way that doesn't make some of us want to hit the power button on our pc's.

# 153 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 11:17 AM
Quote:
Uh, that's enough from you man. I'm not some punk off the street. Nice you can sit behind a computer monitor and post crap like that, and your "idiot" comment. Make you feel brave? You've proven my point.

Later.
..and neither am I. You misunderstood my post and honestly I'm a bit tired of explaining myself to you.

Later.

# 154 Skyboxer @ 02/27/08 11:28 AM
Well seeing how this thread has gone to poop...I'm bailing out.
I'm one of the people that will also buy both. When there's competition the natural thing to do is compare the games. Comparing The Show with 2K isn't being a fanboy of either especially when the poster (like me) will be buying both. It's trying to get things we like in each game into the other game.
It's fine saying 2K is on a 3 year plan but when year 3 gets here and there are still issues how many people will get all huffy when someone posts a negative about something that should have been fixed by then.
I've made some complaints in The Show threads and it's never got this bad in regards to retaliatory posts and "fanboy" statements.

# 155 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Well seeing how this thread has gone to poop...I'm bailing out.
I'm one of the people that will also buy both. When there's competition the natural thing to do is compare the games. Comparing The Show with 2K isn't being a fanboy of either especially when the poster (like me) will be buying both. It's trying to get things we like in each game into the other game.
It's fine saying 2K is on a 3 year plan but when year 3 gets here and there are still issues how many people will get all huffy when someone posts a negative about something that should have been fixed by then.
I've made some complaints in The Show threads and it's never got this bad in regards to retaliatory posts and "fanboy" statements.
Definitely didn't mean to make you or anyone feel this way. You are someone I would like to hear comparisons from, since you'll be playing both.

I'm done getting huffy... I always tell myself to think before posting and sometimes I don't listen to myself. My fault.

# 156 phillyfan23 @ 02/27/08 11:51 AM
Quote:
Uh, that's enough from you man. I'm not some punk off the street. Nice you can sit behind a computer monitor and post crap like that, and your "idiot" comment. Make you feel brave? You've proven my point.

Later.
What I found is the most defensive posters about baseball games are 360 owners. Coz they are "forced" to own 2k8 for a baseball game. The Ps3 owners are generally much more open minded....why? because they can own BOTH games. I'm sure there are ps3 trolls running around....but it seems like 360 exclusive owners get so defensive when others criticize their ONLY baseball choice.

so mizzourah.....I'm guessing you don't own a ps3

ps.- there were a couple of exclusive 360 owners last year, who basically found reasons to say 2k7>> show 07.....this year they bought a ps3....and suddenly the show series is the best since sliced bread and won't even look at the 2k series....I'm afraid you might be the third when 2009 rolls around

# 157 JT30 @ 02/27/08 11:51 AM
Macho Grande!

# 158 Motown @ 02/27/08 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
What I found is the most defensive posters about baseball games are 360 owners. Coz they are "forced" to own 2k8 for a baseball game. The Ps3 owners are generally much more open minded....why? because they can own BOTH games. I'm sure there are ps3 trolls running around....but it seems like 360 exclusive owners get so defensive when others criticize their ONLY baseball choice.

ps.- there were a couple of exclusive 360 owners last year, who basically found reasons to say 2k7>> show 07.....this year they bought a ps3....and suddenly the show series is the best since sliced bread and won't even look at the 2k series....I'm afraid you might be the third when 2009 rolls around

Spot On!

# 159 BadKermit @ 02/27/08 12:36 PM
Quote:

I'm sure passive-aggressively calling the 360-only guys close-minded will solve everything. I don't have a PS3, but I do have Comcast cable. Aren't I enlightened enough?

# 160 Pared @ 02/27/08 12:58 PM
Quote:

Good post.

Sadly though, it's just the effect these licensing agreements have had. It's only going to continue this way.

As much as people joke about the "fanboy wars" back when there were 3 games of the same sport... I actually miss those days.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.