Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

We have just posted some more screenshots from our beta copy of Major League Baseball 2K8. These include create a player, jerseys and a few other odds and ends.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 ehh @ 03/02/08 11:02 PM

One of the very few graphic/accessory beefs I had last year, I love they have the hot and cold long sleeves now. The "Arm Sleeve" option we'd have to use last year always looked a bit odd in comparison, I love they added that in this year. The (un)buttoned jersey is also a very cool addition.

# 22 KushGamer @ 03/02/08 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16
Am I the only one who noticed the lack of the HR record on the MLB single season batting records? Very interesting!
Not allowed to use Bonds' name in the game. I suppose the record could have been there with no name. I don't know, but Sony would then always ding us for that in certification that it was a "bug". So I guess the solution this year was to leave it out.

# 23 truckie16 @ 03/02/08 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KushGamer
Not allowed to use Bonds' name in the game. I suppose the record could have been there with no name. I don't know, but Sony would then always ding us for that in certification that it was a "bug". So I guess the solution this year was to leave it out.
I thought maybe it had to do with the whole steroid issue.

Why couldn't they include McGuire's record of 70.

Also do you know if it will track the record in franchise or season mode ie: I hit 74 with Ortiz, will the game recognize that?

# 24 KushGamer @ 03/02/08 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16
I thought maybe it had to do with the whole steroid issue.

Why couldn't they include McGuire's record of 70.

Also do you know if it will track the record in franchise or season mode ie: I hit 74 with Ortiz, will the game recognize that?
Using McGwire's record and Ruth's record have both contributed to 2K failing Sony certification in the past, because they were "bugs". Obviously, that was not the only reason the game failed, but they were actually in the reports. Kind of silly. So I suspect this year instead of dealing with that nonsense, the decision was made to leave it out all together and not waste anyone's time.

I'm not sure if franchise will recognize it. I would think so, but I really have no idea.

# 25 ehh @ 03/02/08 11:18 PM
It couldn't be in there as John Dowd or whatever his fabricated name was in the past?

# 26 Blzer @ 03/02/08 11:22 PM
Steve, if it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if you could let me know how many faces, signature stances, and generic stances there are in this game. The faces one is easy, because you can just press Left from the first face and you'll get the highest number. Last year it was a miserable 29.

As for stances, I know that's a bit of a chore (toggling and counting), but I was just curious as to what number of stances we were looking at for this year. But I'm almost more interested in the number of generic stances, mostly because I want to know if we'll get any variation for the young stars (rookies, minor league players, etc).

Thanks in advance for anything you can do.

# 27 ehh @ 03/02/08 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Steve, if it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if you could let me know how many faces, signature stances, and generic stances there are in this game.
You can't count that in the CAP menu, at least in 2K7, because some of the sig-style batting stances were not available to CAPs for some very odd reason.

# 28 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/02/08 11:55 PM
Can you change the name of a real MLB player and they will say the name and not the number. Also the PA annoucer will say the edited name and the not the MLB player name.

# 29 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drterb
I'm intrigued as well. It's been asked many times whether custom stadium/player music made the final cut and the answer has always been no. Screenshot #119 seems to prove otherwise, however. The remaining question is how robust are the editable playlists that we see (only Default and Sample are listed).

Steve, is there any possibility you could look into the stadium beats/playlist editor?? TIA

My guess is player specific walk-up music didn't make the cut, but Stadium beats did. I would be happy with only Stadium beats for this year as long as they bring player specific walk-up music back next year. It's one of the few things I loved from 2k5.
OK, first of all, I can't figure out how to get music on the debug 360 to test it out. But it sure looks like if you have some music on the HD, you'd be able to use it. I mean, right now, since my drive is basically empty, there is only "Default Playlist and Sample Playlist". But there are quite a few empty spaces underneath, making me lean to saying you can grab music off the hard drive. But again, I can't test it, unless I can figure out how to get music files on this thing.

For stadiums, you can select beats for solo homerun, 2-run homer, 3-run homer, grand slam, Top of inning over, end of game, between pitch(H) and (A), batter over, batter intro (H) and (A), single, double, triple, walk, action replays, home run derby, pause, pitcher intro (H) and (A), game intro and bottom of inning over.

For players, it claims when you set the beat for the batter, it overrides the songs in the stadium beats, again making it seem like you can pull music from the HD.

So, to put it bluntly... I don't know exactly what you can or can't do here. Sorry. But if I find a way to import music to this debug, I'll check back in.

# 30 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gro23
This is a compound question, sorry if you find these worthless questions.....question #2: Is the State Farm Home Run Derby mode better than previous years? The hitting felt nothing like it did in a game and the measurements were off badly, so does it feel more like a game or natural feel or is it like last year and noneffiecent with the game?
Measurements seem about right, but the actual home run derby is pretty stale.

# 31 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Steve, I just played the 2K7 demo, and in the 3 innings of play I had 3 HR's got thrown out twice trying to get a double off balls that hit the wall, and had 2 HR's robbed. Please tell me this doesn't happen in 2K8.
No worries.

# 32 Spectre @ 03/03/08 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
OK, first of all, I can't figure out how to get music on the debug 360 to test it out. But it sure looks like if you have some music on the HD, you'd be able to use it. I mean, right now, since my drive is basically empty, there is only "Default Playlist and Sample Playlist". But there are quite a few empty spaces underneath, making me lean to saying you can grab music off the hard drive. But again, I can't test it, unless I can figure out how to get music files on this thing.

For stadiums, you can select beats for solo homerun, 2-run homer, 3-run homer, grand slam, Top of inning over, end of game, between pitch(H) and (A), batter over, batter intro (H) and (A), single, double, triple, walk, action replays, home run derby, pause, pitcher intro (H) and (A), game intro and bottom of inning over.

For players, it claims when you set the beat for the batter, it overrides the songs in the stadium beats, again making it seem like you can pull music from the HD.

So, to put it bluntly... I don't know exactly what you can or can't do here. Sorry. But if I find a way to import music to this debug, I'll check back in.
Pitcher intro music!

This is freakin awesome!

# 33 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Steve, if it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if you could let me know how many faces, signature stances, and generic stances there are in this game. The faces one is easy, because you can just press Left from the first face and you'll get the highest number. Last year it was a miserable 29.

As for stances, I know that's a bit of a chore (toggling and counting), but I was just curious as to what number of stances we were looking at for this year. But I'm almost more interested in the number of generic stances, mostly because I want to know if we'll get any variation for the young stars (rookies, minor league players, etc).

Thanks in advance for anything you can do.
29 faces, a little over 200 sig. stances, give or take...as for generic batting stances, there are only these.

Open wide, normal, wide, closed, closed wide, open and open extreme.

# 34 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 12:33 AM
BTW, not making this into another Q&A thread, so hope you guys enjoyed what I did post.

# 35 KushGamer @ 03/03/08 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Pitcher intro music!

This is freakin awesome!
And end of game music! "New York, New York"

# 36 The Gamer @ 03/03/08 01:07 AM
KushGamer,

Can you give any info in regards to editing the players that represent actual players but have false names? while we are able to edit those fake names, the announcers and p.a. announcer still say the fake name instead of the edited name. is there a special way that we need to edit those names other than just changing the name? Did the voice talent say the names of those players during recording sessions? Steve has already said that Kosuke Fukudome's name is not in the list of names. It just seems can of ridiculous to edit the names but the announcers are still saying the same fake names.

# 37 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 01:12 AM
OK, figured it out. Yes, you can use custom music for all that stuff. You just have to be good w/ the importing of the music. I don't think I would have the patience for it. But yes, it definitely looks like it can be done. I ripped a track off one of my CD's, put it to David Ortiz walk up and I heard it in the background.

# 38 Steve_OS @ 03/03/08 01:12 AM
With that said, good night!

# 39 KushGamer @ 03/03/08 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gamer
KushGamer,

Can you give any info in regards to editing the players that represent actual players but have false names? while we are able to edit those fake names, the announcers and p.a. announcer still say the fake name instead of the edited name. is there a special way that we need to edit those names other than just changing the name? Did the voice talent say the names of those players during recording sessions? Steve has already said that Kosuke Fukudome's name is not in the list of names. It just seems can of ridiculous to edit the names but the announcers are still saying the same fake names.
I thought this was addressed in last year's patch? If not, it was definitely a known issue - it worked in 2K6 i believe - so it should be fixed for 2K8. I can't confirm that though. Since no new audio was recorded with Jon and Joe, I doubt Fukudome will be pronounced though - maybe by the PA guy? It is possible that the audio guys spliced something together though, like I insisted they do for Robinson Cano after Jon Miller called him "Con - yo" two years in a row??!!

# 40 Mr.Wednesday @ 03/03/08 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
OK, figured it out. Yes, you can use custom music for all that stuff. You just have to be good w/ the importing of the music. I don't think I would have the patience for it. But yes, it definitely looks like it can be done. I ripped a track off one of my CD's, put it to David Ortiz walk up and I heard it in the background.
Oh, snaps! This is a huge deal to me. I can't believe this feature hasn't received more publicity. This is great news. I know Steve has a beta copy. But, this close to release. I have to believe this feature will make it into the final build.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.