Home
Madden 09 News Post

EA ANNOUNCES MADDEN NFL 09 OFFICIAL SHIP DATE
AND SPECIAL COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition,
including NFL Head Coach 09, Available This Summer

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., – March 27, 2008 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that Madden NFL 09 will be available in retail stores in North America on August 12, including a special collector’s edition in celebration of the 20th anniversary of one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time. The Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition will be the ultimate interactive NFL experience - featuring full versions of both Madden NFL 09 and the all-new NFL Head Coach 09, exclusive classic Madden NFL gameplay, and an extensive library of exclusive bonus video content.

“The Madden NFL franchise has a rich history, and we’re proud to be celebrating it with this definitive video game package,” says Peter Moore, president of EA SPORTS. “Featuring two deep and innovative new standalone games, as well as a host of exclusive bonus content, the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition is the ultimate interactive offering for both long-time Madden NFL fans and anyone who enjoys football on Sundays. I can’t think of a better way to get your NFL fix than to enjoy everything that’s unique about both Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09, and then connecting and sharing content from both.”

Whether you prefer to make your moves on the field, from the sidelines or in the front office, the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition has something for every football fan. Madden NFL 09 will feature the most immersive gameplay, the richest online offerings and the most comprehensive feature depth in the history of the franchise, while NFL Head Coach 09 has been reinvented to provide a unique new NFL experience by allowing fans to be in total control of their favorite franchises. The two games offer unique experiences and then can even interact with one another with gamers being able to import their user-designed plays from NFL Head Coach 09 and put them into Madden NFL 09 to create customized playbooks for complete control on the field.

“Both Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09 are deep and unique gaming experiences that will truly immerse sports fans of all ages, skill levels and playing styles,” says Chris Erb, EA SPORTS director of marketing. “With the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition, we’re bringing two great NFL games together to create the definitive football offering.”

NFL Head Coach 09 provides the complete NFL coaching experience, offering a variety of different ways to control an NFL franchise, on and off the field, in-season and off-season. With strategic game-planning features, NFL Head Coach 09 places gamers in the coach’s seat by allowing gamers to comprehensively scout the opponent, build custom playbooks, and develop a team that will adapt to the philosophy and system of an NFL franchise.

Last year’s Madden NFL 08 was honored with various awards, including the 2007 Game Critics “Best Sports Game” award at last year’s E3 Media and Business Summit, “Best Team Sports Game” from the Spike TV Video Games Awards, “Best Sports Game of the Year” by GameTrailers’ 2007 Game of the Year Awards, GameSpot’s “Best Sports Game” Reader’s Choice Award, and the “Best Sports Games” of 2007 by MSNBC. Over the past 20 years, the Madden NFL franchise has sold over 70 million* copies and has been established as one of the most revered sports video games in the industry. Since 2002, Madden NFL has been the number one selling sports game** each year in North America.

Both Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09 are developed in Orlando, Florida by the award-winning EA Tiburon studio, which also produces NCAA® Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® and NASCAR® racing.

Madden NFL 09 will be available for the Xbox 360™ video game system from Microsoft, PlayStation®2 and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment systems, Wii™, Nintendo DS™, PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and is rated RP by the ESRB. NFL Head Coach 09 is scheduled to ship only as a part of the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition, which, at a suggested retail price of $89.99 for the complete package of Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09 plus additional exclusive bonus content, will ship on the Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION®3.

EA SPORTS™ is the leading interactive sports software brand in the world, with top-selling titles and franchises including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® and NASCAR® racing.

For more information about Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09, please visit www.madden09.com

* Based on internal sales data
** According to the NPD Group

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 mvb34 @ 03/28/08 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
It is the only way that you can get Elmo's ABCs, which is supposed to be improved from the previous version and includes a whole new set of features that people have been asking for since it released, like being able to customize the order of the questions and import Elmo into Halo 3.
Please answer my question
Is the Halo 3 special edition is the only version I can buy? Is there a regular version of Halo 3

# 62 SageInfinite @ 03/28/08 11:36 AM
Quote:
It is the only way that you can get Elmo's ABCs, which is supposed to be improved from the previous version and includes a whole new set of features that people have been asking for since it released, like being able to customize the order of the questions and import Elmo into Halo 3.

# 63 Nza @ 03/28/08 12:17 PM
Un freaking believable. EA retain exclusive rights for all major gaming platforms, and they disband the PC version? How is that legal? I can't believe they will be releasing a PSP and DS version, but not a PC version. But yet they still own NFL gaming rights for the PC. There is no way that is legal surely.

# 64 mercalnd @ 03/28/08 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Is the Halo 3 special edition is the only version I can buy? Is there a regular version of Halo 3
No but the special edition of Madden is the only way you can buy Head Coach. How you don't see people's problem with this is beyond me. Your argument seems to rest on the fact that there are 2 different versions of Madden so people aren't forced to buy the Collector's Edition but anyone who wants Head Coach has no other option and many of them don't want to buy Madden.

# 65 mercalnd @ 03/28/08 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Un freaking believable. EA retain exclusive rights for all major gaming platforms, and they disband the PC version? How is that legal? I can't believe they will be releasing a PSP and DS version, but not a PC version. But yet they still own NFL gaming rights for the PC. There is no way that is legal surely.
The same thing happened with the MLB license. There are technically no first party devs for PC so 2K has an exclusive MLB license to make PC games yet thy never made one.

# 66 mvb34 @ 03/28/08 12:27 PM
Quote:
Saying a game sold a million copies when it is bundled with another game really isn't the same as selling a million on it's own.

That would be like Microsoft releasing some total crap game (Elmo's ABC's) with Halo 3 and boasting when they release Elmo's ABC's 2 that the first copy sold 5 million copies.

It is dishonest marketing.
Quote:
Its not because you don't have to buy the special edition. If they sell a million its because people wanted Head Coach 09
Quote:
So if I sell a Halo 3 special edition that comes with Elmo's ABCs and includes old versions of Halo 1 and 2 and some behind the scenes stuff and it sells 3 million copies, is it still OK next year to say that people bought 3 million copies of Elmo's ABC?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
No but the special edition of Madden is the only way you can buy Head Coach. How you don't see people's problem with this is beyond me. Your argument seems to rest on the fact that there are 2 different versions of Madden so people aren't forced to buy the Collector's Edition but anyone who wants Head Coach has no other option and many of them don't want to buy Madden.
Please review the following post before adding your two cents thanks...

# 67 SageInfinite @ 03/28/08 12:33 PM
This thread has gone ********.

# 68 Nza @ 03/28/08 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
The same thing happened with the MLB license. There are technically no first party devs for PC so 2K has an exclusive MLB license to make PC games yet thy never made one.
Hrm. It's slightly different given the PC has seen annual release up until this point. If anything I can't see how the NFL approve of letting a major gaming platform go without their product. I can't believe the NFL would sell their exclusive rights without a clause stating all major platforms must be attended to. Sales power lacking in comparison to consoles or not, the PC is still a major gaming platform, not to mention per 100 heads wise seemingly more popular Internationally when it comes to Madden - at least, in all Madden PC communities I frequent, there seems to be far more International gamers than I think I've ever seen in a console biased community (I'm Australian myself). Not the best way for the NFL to start their International popularity campaign - i.e. by making their flagship videogame (which is probably their most effective year round promotion tool) miss a key platform.

# 69 coogrfan @ 03/28/08 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Hrm. It's slightly different given the PC has seen annual release up until this point. If anything I can't see how the NFL approve of letting a major gaming platform go without their product. I can't believe the NFL would sell their exclusive rights without a clause stating all major platforms must be attended to. Sales power lacking in comparison to consoles or not, the PC is still a major gaming platform, not to mention per 100 heads wise seemingly more popular Internationally when it comes to Madden - at least, in all Madden PC communities I frequent, there seems to be far more International gamers than I think I've ever seen in a console biased community (I'm Australian myself). Not the best way for the NFL to start their International popularity campaign - i.e. by making their flagship videogame (which is probably their most effective year round promotion tool) miss a key platform.
Why exactly should EA not look at sales numbers to determine what constitutes a "major platform"?

# 70 DIEHARD STEELERS #1 @ 03/28/08 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
EA ANNOUNCES MADDEN NFL 09 OFFICIAL SHIP DATE

AND SPECIAL COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition,
including NFL Head Coach 09, Available This Summer
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., – March 27, 2008 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that Madden NFL 09 will be available in retail stores in North America on August 12, including a special collector’s edition in celebration of the 20th anniversary of one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time. The Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition will be the ultimate interactive NFL experience - featuring full versions of both Madden NFL 09 and the all-new NFL Head Coach 09, exclusive classic Madden NFL gameplay, and an extensive library of exclusive bonus video content.

“The Madden NFL franchise has a rich history, and we’re proud to be celebrating it with this definitive video game package,” says Peter Moore, president of EA SPORTS. “Featuring two deep and innovative new standalone games, as well as a host of exclusive bonus content, the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition is the ultimate interactive offering for both long-time Madden NFL fans and anyone who enjoys football on Sundays. I can’t think of a better way to get your NFL fix than to enjoy everything that’s unique about both Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09, and then connecting and sharing content from both.”

Whether you prefer to make your moves on the field, from the sidelines or in the front office, the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition has something for every football fan. Madden NFL 09 will feature the most immersive gameplay, the richest online offerings and the most comprehensive feature depth in the history of the franchise, while NFL Head Coach 09 has been reinvented to provide a unique new NFL experience by allowing fans to be in total control of their favorite franchises. The two games offer unique experiences and then can even interact with one another with gamers being able to import their user-designed plays from NFL Head Coach 09 and put them into Madden NFL 09 to create customized playbooks for complete control on the field.

“Both Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09 are deep and unique gaming experiences that will truly immerse sports fans of all ages, skill levels and playing styles,” says Chris Erb, EA SPORTS director of marketing. “With the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition, we’re bringing two great NFL games together to create the definitive football offering.”

NFL Head Coach 09 provides the complete NFL coaching experience, offering a variety of different ways to control an NFL franchise, on and off the field, in-season and off-season. With strategic game-planning features, NFL Head Coach 09 places gamers in the coach’s seat by allowing gamers to comprehensively scout the opponent, build custom playbooks, and develop a team that will adapt to the philosophy and system of an NFL franchise.

Last year’s Madden NFL 08 was honored with various awards, including the 2007 Game Critics “Best Sports Game” award at last year’s E3 Media and Business Summit, “Best Team Sports Game” from the Spike TV Video Games Awards, “Best Sports Game of the Year” by GameTrailers’ 2007 Game of the Year Awards, GameSpot’s “Best Sports Game” Reader’s Choice Award, and the “Best Sports Games” of 2007 by MSNBC. Over the past 20 years, the Madden NFL franchise has sold over 70 million* copies and has been established as one of the most revered sports video games in the industry. Since 2002, Madden NFL has been the number one selling sports game** each year in North America.

Both Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09 are developed in Orlando, Florida by the award-winning EA Tiburon studio, which also produces NCAA® Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® and NASCAR® racing.

Madden NFL 09 will be available for the Xbox 360™ video game system from Microsoft, PlayStation®2 and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment systems, Wii™, Nintendo DS™, PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and is rated RP by the ESRB. NFL Head Coach 09 is scheduled to ship only as a part of the Madden NFL 09 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition, which, at a suggested retail price of $89.99 for the complete package of Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09 plus additional exclusive bonus content, will ship on the Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION®3.

EA SPORTS™ is the leading interactive sports software brand in the world, with top-selling titles and franchises including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® and NASCAR® racing.

For more information about Madden NFL 09 and NFL Head Coach 09, please visit www.madden09.com

* Based on internal sales data
** According to the NPD Group
Whateva. I'll buy a used copy of madden 09 ,as usual

# 71 mercalnd @ 03/28/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
Please review the following post before adding your two cents thanks...
I stand corrected. Somehow in all this I lost track of the fact that you 2 were debating whether it was fair marketing for EA to claim Head Coach sold however many copies the Collectors' Edition of Madden sold. On that particular topic, I tend to agree with you. I doubt many people will be buying that version for the video content.

Ironically, EA will likely actually lose potential Head Coach sales from people who are not interested in Madden. How it all balances out with Madden fans who buy the Collectors' Edition cause they figure $30 for Head Coach is a good deal remains to be seen.

# 72 Sausage @ 03/28/08 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniotall
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
same old arguments, same old game, same old bull****...somebody wake me up when something changes around here.
Ditto. Peace and good day/night to all. Also when the game releases please don't go crazy with your assessments after one game. Play at least 10 offline and online, start a franchise check for changes, some superstar mode, and then calmly enter your impressions. During the first 48-72 hours it is the greatest football game ever then within weeks the true games shows itself. Weird but true. Take care.

# 73 ewto16 @ 03/28/08 02:11 PM
Quote:
No, you can buy regular or special edition Halo 3.

Halo 3 = Halo 3 game
Halo 3 CE = Halo 3, Elmo's ABCs, Halo 1 & 2, and behind the scenes Halo features, and the ability to play as Elmo in Halo 3.

# 74 mvb34 @ 03/28/08 02:25 PM
Quote:
No, you can buy regular or special edition Halo 3.

Halo 3 = Halo 3 game
Halo 3 CE = Halo 3, Elmo's ABCs, Halo 1 & 2, and behind the scenes Halo features, and the ability to play as Elmo in Halo 3.
Okay then so if the collector edition sales 1 million this year then EA can next year market the fact that Head Coach 09 sold a million copies. The people who buys special edition is buying it for Head coach.

# 75 ewto16 @ 03/28/08 02:41 PM
Quote:
Okay then so if the collector edition sales 1 million this year then EA can next year market the fact that Head Coach 09 sold a million copies. The people who buys special edition is buying it for Head coach.
Or maybe they are buying it because they like Madden, want the classic Madden versions that are included and are interested in the other behind the scenes features of Madden. Or maybe they are the type of person that likes the CE versions of games and always buys that version.

I don't see how you can't see the difference in claiming a sales number strictly based on piggybacking a title on another popular title versus the title itself selling that many copies.

Some people aren't buying the CE version of Madden to play Head Coach. They want the Madden bonuses and the ability to make custom playbooks, which should just be in Madden anyway.

So you would also say that Elmo's ABCs sold 3 million copies if it was bundled with the sample Halo 3 CE I created and it sold 3 million copies? And you would say that was because people really wanted Elmos' ABCs and not the Halo exclusive content?

# 76 mvb34 @ 03/28/08 02:59 PM
Quote:
Or maybe they are buying it because they like Madden, want the classic Madden versions that are included and are interested in the other behind the scenes features of Madden. Or maybe they are the type of person that likes the CE versions of games and always buys that version.

I don't see how you can't see the difference in claiming a sales number strictly based on piggybacking a title on another popular title versus the title itself selling that many copies.

Some people aren't buying the CE version of Madden to play Head Coach. They want the Madden bonuses and the ability to make custom playbooks, which should just be in Madden anyway.

So you would also say that Elmo's ABCs sold 3 million copies if it was bundled with the sample Halo 3 CE I created and it sold 3 million copies? And you would say that was because people really wanted Elmos' ABCs and not the Halo exclusive content?

How do you know that that custom playbooks are not in the regular Madden 09?

And you have lost me on Elmos please talk Madden..

# 77 ewto16 @ 03/28/08 03:31 PM
Quote:
How do you know that that custom playbooks are not in the regular Madden 09?

And you have lost me on Elmos please talk Madden..
I assuming that they wouldn't make a big deal out of being able t ocreate plays in Head Coach and import them into Madden if you could just make custom playbooks in Madden anyway. What would be the point of highlighting that feature then?

Lost on the Elmos......it is a simple comparison, but whatever.

So you don't think it is possible that people are buying the CE version of Madden strictly because they like CE packages and versions of games, want the old versions of Madden they are including, or are interested in the bonus features and videos that will be included as well and might not care that Head Coach is part of the package?

In fact, Head Coach isn't even on the front of the box, assuming that picture they have been showing is the CE cover. It is possible plenty of people don't even know HC is part of it.

# 78 mvb34 @ 03/28/08 03:42 PM
Quote:
I assuming that they wouldn't make a big deal out of being able t ocreate plays in Head Coach and import them into Madden if you could just make custom playbooks in Madden anyway. What would be the point of highlighting that feature then?

Lost on the Elmos......it is a simple comparison, but whatever.

So you don't think it is possible that people are buying the CE version of Madden strictly because they like CE packages and versions of games, want the old versions of Madden they are including, or are interested in the bonus features and videos that will be included as well and might not care that Head Coach is part of the package?

In fact, Head Coach isn't even on the front of the box, assuming that picture they have been showing is the CE cover. It is possible plenty of people don't even know HC is part of it.
You can't assume that until Madden will have.

I don't believe people will buy the special edition for bonus features and video. How many copies did the 15th anniversary sell? that inculded older version of Madden

# 79 ewto16 @ 03/28/08 03:56 PM
Quote:
You can't assume that until Madden will have.

I don't believe people will buy the special edition for bonus features and video. How many copies did the 15th anniversary sell? that inculded older version of Madden
Why would they make that a selling point then? It makes no sense to highlight it as a selling point and reason to buy the CE version otherwise.

Actually, people will totally buy CE versions for just that stuff. Madden 2005 CE sold almost 400,000 in one month.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._2/ai_n6205699

# 80 Jistic @ 03/28/08 04:03 PM
I somehow get the feeling this is just an attempt for them to be able to say that they sold more copies of Madden than if it was by itself. Instead of making the game better, their focus is on marketing, as usual. And yes packaging is marketing.

I'm sure we'll be able to pick up individual copies of HC on ebay though. That's what I'll do.

I don't even care about Madden anymore.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.