Home
Madden 09 News Post

IGN has posted the first online league details for Madden 09, including a video clip of the game in action.

Quote:
"When it comes to sports videogames it doesn't get much bigger than the yearly release of Madden Football. Some complain it's the same game year in and year out, but that doesn't stop droves of pigskin fanatics from lining up outside of their local retailers in hopes of scoring a copy. With the announcement of Brett Favre as the cover athlete for Madden NFL 09 the ball has begun to roll heading toward the game's August release."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 davep @ 04/30/08 09:31 AM
The video IS boring, and I'm not sure why exactly.

The snow is a nice addition, but as someone stated before, shouldn't they be sliding around? Aesthetically it's more pleasing, but fundamentally it's exactly the same. As of now, looks like I'll be sticking with the 08 pc version.

# 62 TDKing @ 04/30/08 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausar72
I'm not so sure about the 32 user required...

Or maybe EA is not so sure at this point. Take a look at this...

Why would he say in one answer that all teams must be user controlled, but then in the very next answer use twenty-member league as an example?
Hmmm....

# 63 stmark @ 04/30/08 11:33 AM
how can anyone tell.for one no one has played it yet its a video......and if im not mistaken its april you guys there are 3 1/2 months to go before the release get a grip 99.8% of u guys are going to buy the game so stop talking like u guys are not .the vid is ok except for a few thing but thats expected because as i said its april

# 64 drlw322 @ 04/30/08 11:56 AM
one positive i did see besides the visual, when brett favre was dropping back he was actually holding the ball near his stomach. it also looks like you no longer have to just let the CPU do the drop back animation. it looks like you can manually control the the QB after the snap and still get some what of a drop back animation.

i know the ball placement was kinda a complaint for some of you guys

# 65 seanmac @ 04/30/08 12:01 PM
I'm not sure why people get so excited about stat overlays. It boggles the mind. Anyway, the graphics look sharper, and I definitely like the new camera angle. It's also huge that the players are more proportional to the field, as the primary problem with 08 was the lack of space due to the oversized players. I also like the fact that there was some air under the two throws, which gives hope that the awful passing physics have been reworked. On the other hand, there's still no pocket forming, the tackle physics still look unconvincing, and the twenty yard drop is still there for all to see.

# 66 RGiles36 @ 04/30/08 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac
I'm not sure why people get so excited about stat overlays. It boggles the mind. Anyway, the graphics look sharper, and I definitely like the new camera angle. It's also huge that the players are more proportional to the field, as the primary problem with 08 was the lack of space due to the oversized players. I also like the fact that there was some air under the two throws, which gives hope that the awful passing physics have been reworked. On the other hand, there's still no pocket forming, the tackle physics still look unconvincing, and the twenty yard drop is still there for all to see.
Stat overlays are very necessary. I would've never thought they were until we suffered through a year without them. There was nothing worse than having to hit pause everytime you wanted to know how a specific player was doing.

I'm also glad that they resized the players (or resized the field, whichever applies lol).

Lack of pocket and tackle animations are my biggest gripes with the video.

But, like one of guys just mentioned, at least they fixed the way the QB holds the ball.

# 67 Methlab @ 04/30/08 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
The negativity in this thread is RAGING and killing me.

Where can I find optimism prime?
I know right? How dare we all not drink the EA Koolaid and praise medicore games year after year?

EA has yet to make an excellent football game for the next gen console. Hell, nobody has yet, not just EA..but they put 2-3 out a year and still can't get it right.

# 68 K_GUN @ 04/30/08 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
History repeats itself

in terms of EA's product or the constant bitching about it?

# 69 WDOgF0reL1fe @ 04/30/08 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I know right? How dare we all not drink the EA Koolaid and praise medicore games year after year?

EA has yet to make an excellent football game for the next gen console. Hell, nobody has yet, not just EA..but they put 2-3 out a year and still can't get it right.
Im sorry? Did I say anything about this being the second coming of anything that is Holy? NO. I said the NEGATIVITY that everyone has is a pain in the ***. Im not saying this game is going to change what we think about EA, but you know what, my calendar says April 30, not AUGUST 30 which means the game isn't out yet.

This thread is supposed to be about the info on online leagues and the first video clip, NOT how bad EA is at making video games

# 70 seanmac @ 04/30/08 01:11 PM
My biggest gripe is with the quality of the animations. If you look at APF 2K8, the animations basically blow away anything you see here- the quarterback drops and throwing motions, the way receivers and DBs battle on the line, the fact that linebackers will try to get a jam on receivers that come through their zone, the OL/DL interaction on the line- these are all areas where there is shockingly little in the way of animation. I don't know if it was a product of a decision to invest the graphic power in the player models and the stadiums, but this is clearly where EA's football games have been the most lacking, and there's no evidence of improvement in this video.

# 71 spankdatazz22 @ 04/30/08 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yep, that about says it all. The weird thing is it looks better, but it's still disappointing

I remember last year you had a post that had random still pictures of NFL action, and those motionless pics conveyed so much more emotion than any of the Madden videos released at the time displayed, that it was kinda shocking. Seems like this year's game is headed down the same path. Tiburon needs to get someone in charge that has enough vision to see football is about emotion, not just pretty player models. Even though they animate a little better, the action is still essentially the same - stop focusing on "themes" every year and get the focus on fundamentals and the nuances of football.

Perhaps the success of GTA, the likely success of Star Wars Unleashed, and the potential of Backbreaker will force EA's hand to revamp their football games. Hey, there's a topic for the new OS

# 72 noshun @ 04/30/08 01:48 PM
Why is it that when looking at the fluff they still cant get it right? Case in point:

Look at the footprints in the snow. That was a big they they focused on. But why is it that the players bodies when tackled dont leave prints or dishevel the snow, its only the footprints. Hehehe. And the animation is the same as 08.

# 73 Harlemal @ 04/30/08 01:56 PM
STFU. qiut cryin like girls. how u gonna judge a game dats not do out until Aug. with a video in april. yall killin me. the game looks cool but i will wait until a better video. and for people keep talkin about 2k this and 2k dat take yo a$$ and go by 2k football. dont get me wrong NBA2k is my SH!t but im tired of yall Bullsh1t.

# 74 BezO @ 04/30/08 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmark
how can anyone tell.for one no one has played it yet its a video......
When you know what you're looking for, it's easy to tell if you'll like a game. For example, I've been waiting for: QB pocket, DE getting up field on a pass rush, more defense moves, double team blocks, better interacting animations(tackling, blocking, bump & run, ect). I don't have to play the game to see if those things are in.

Quote:
and if im not mistaken its april you guys there are 3 1/2 months to go before the release get a grip
They don't work up until release. An EA rep stated that they work on the game up to 2 months before release. That leaves what, less than 2 months? Since when has EA made substantial improvements in that amount of time?

Quote:
99.8% of u guys are going to buy the game so stop talking like u guys are not .the vid is ok except for a few thing but thats expected because as i said its april
As long as you don't say 100%, I can't argue. But I'm going on my 4th year out of the last 5 without an EA football title. Some of us can avoid buying a game we don't anticipate liking.

# 75 mauro78 @ 04/30/08 02:01 PM
Quote:
My biggest gripe is with the quality of the animations. If you look at APF 2K8, the animations basically blow away anything you see here- the quarterback drops and throwing motions, the way receivers and DBs battle on the line, the fact that linebackers will try to get a jam on receivers that come through their zone, the OL/DL interaction on the line- these are all areas where there is shockingly little in the way of animation. I don't know if it was a product of a decision to invest the graphic power in the player models and the stadiums, but this is clearly where EA's football games have been the most lacking, and there's no evidence of improvement in this video.
Agree 100%.
The pace of the game is not reproduced well.
It's incredible how EA is unable to put some emotions in that game.

I still can't imagine what 2k would be able to do if they had the NFL license.

# 76 BezO @ 04/30/08 02:02 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure why people get so excited about stat overlays. It boggles the mind.
If it's in the game...

Quote:
Anyway, the graphics look sharper...
Assuming you're into graphics, would you be "excited" if they graphics sucked?

# 77 BezO @ 04/30/08 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemal
STFU. qiut cryin like girls. how u gonna judge a game dats not do out until Aug. with a video in april. yall killin me.
Should we all watch the video in silence? What would be the sense of the thread if no one was going to say anything about the vid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemal
the game looks cool.
Oh, so a positive judgement is OK in April?

# 78 BezO @ 04/30/08 02:19 PM
As for the video, I didn't notice any gameplay improvements. Sticky blocking is still in effect. DEs still can't get up the field. There's still no QB pocket. I didn't see a single new tackling animation. I didn't see any double teams. Animations were still stiff.

I just want player models to do things that football players do. The entire offensive & defensive lines are still moving like they did on last gen. LBs still can't flow freely because they get stuck to blockers. RBs still stand in the ready position, ignoring potential sack threats. And Potential tacklers still bounce off tackles in progress.

# 79 capp34 @ 04/30/08 02:25 PM
One thing to say its APRIL 30...plenty of time left.

# 80 seanmac @ 04/30/08 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
If it's in the game...
I catch about six or seven home games a year and I have yet to see a stat overlay magically appear. The question is whether you are trying to replicate the game itself or the game as presented on television. I'm more interested in the former (hence my concern over the animations).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.