Home
News Post

THE CHAMP IS BACK! EA ANNOUNCES EA SPORTS FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4

Mike Tyson Featured in First Boxing Videogame in Nearly a Decade

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – May 7, 2008 – Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that EA SPORTS™Fight Night Round 4 is in development at EA Canada in Vancouver under the EA SPORTS brand. EA SPORTS Fight Night is back with the most realistic “in the ring” experience to date, featuring some of the greatest boxers in history fighting in their prime.

“The EA SPORTS Fight Night franchise has always been synonymous with quality and innovation that raised the bar for the sports videogame genre”, said Kevin Wilkinson, Executive Producer, EA SPORTS. “EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 3 was a platform defining game as the industry transitioned to next generation consoles. EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 will change how boxing games are played and measured in the future.”

Featuring a re-written gameplay engine, EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 will add a variety of fighting styles and boxer differentiation to authentically emulate the greatest fighters of all time. Pressure your opponent with the brawling inside style of young Mike Tyson, bobbing and weaving to set up powerful hooks and uppercuts. Capitalize on Muhammad Ali’s reach, hand speed and fleetness of foot to bewilder your opponent with lightning fast jabs and straights from the outside. For the first time in history, EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 gives you the opportunity to pit these legendary heavyweights against one another and name a true champ.

No fight will be the same with an all-new physics-based animation system that recreates the full spectrum of true-to-life punch impacts, giving boxers a devastating arsenal of punches, blocks and ring movement. The new physics system allows for missed punches, glancing punches, knockout blows and for the first time ever, rough and tumble inside fighting. Fatigue, adrenaline, footwork and timing all come into play as you hammer away at your opponents.

EA SPORTS Fight Night Round 4 will be available for the Xbox 360™ system and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and ships to retailers in 2009. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI.

EA SPORTS™ is the leading interactive sports software brand in the world, with top-selling titles and franchises including Madden NFL Football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® and NASCAR® racing.

Game: Fight Night Round 4Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Fight Night Round 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Money99 @ 05/08/08 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I agree its typical EA to try to kill the competition, but for the life of me, I can't figure out 2k's marketing. They do more damage to themselsves with their lack of product promotion than EA could ever do to them.

2k elected to have Don King and paid him $1M +. I am sure they could have gotten Tyson, PBF, etc. for that type of money. EA made the right business move, regardless of how frustrated I get with EA's games, I have to give them all the credit in the world for their marketing tactics.
There's a reason why they're #1.

There are websites out there that have 1/10th the exposure IGN or OS have and yet they get invited to view games privately - on EA's dime. They don't have to do it, but they do.

2K could learn a thing or two about that.

# 42 LP @ 05/08/08 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeJR23
Roy Jones Jr and Floyd Mayweather Jr are the two best p4p fighters ever. Believe that. I hope they have two versions of them both in the game from when they were young and in their primes.

# 43 Behindshadows @ 05/08/08 05:25 PM
Cha Ching!!!! I'm buying it.

Mike Tyson baby!!! About time!

I wonder if its going to be an old Tyson model, or that whack one, with the damn tattoo on his face!

# 44 Vast @ 05/08/08 07:25 PM
Awesome. Im not even looking forward to Prizefighter that much anymore. This game will hopefully be the real deal.

No lifebars just knockouts based on physics and impact, angles all that. Gimme an awesome career mode with multiple belts and rivals with great AI. and i will forever love EA.

# 45 Writer's Block @ 05/08/08 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Cha Ching!!!! I'm buying it.

Mike Tyson baby!!! About time!

I wonder if its going to be an old Tyson model, or that whack one, with the damn tattoo on his face!
It's the young Tyson, it says in this Eurogamer article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=137762

# 46 acarrero @ 05/08/08 08:09 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Fight Night ever contained different power for a boxer's different punches - Oscar's left hook should be more powerful than his right, for example. This should be included in the game. Also, please get Cotto in there!

# 47 tyreeii @ 05/08/08 09:10 PM
yeah, I am really looking forward to this game. The sad thing about it all is the dire financial situation Tyson is in. This just shows how much he needs the money.

Now, to the fighters. I figure they will make Tyson "hell on wheels" for the first 5-6 rounds but after that he will slow down significantly because stamina was never his strong point (after the Tony Tucker fight). He would always start out strong and fade towards the end. Thats how Holyfield beat him (and a lot of holding) even though Tyson was a shell of himself (footwork, balance, and combo punching were horrible).

Personally, I think that a prime Tyson would give Ali a great fight and he would win 25% of the time. The only way Ali would beat him is via decision or a stoppage on cuts.

I would like to see them bring Mayweather back, hopefully they make him true to form. A thought for everyone to ponder, everyone always talks about how Floyd does not hit hard, but has anyone noticed that all of the fighters who decided to trade punches with him were knocked out or stopped??? The only exception is JL Castillo and the fight when he broke his hand (forgot when but is was in Grand Rapids). De La Hoya was doing well, but he stopped jabbing after the 5-6th rounds, prob cuz he did not want to be countered.

# 48 JayBee74 @ 05/08/08 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
And let's not forget that the Tyson Holyfield faced was not Tyson in his prime. It was post-prison era Tyson. Again, in my opinion, Ali is unconcsious inside of 4 rounds facing a late 80's era Tyson.
Aw, the Tyson legions and their rewriting of history. Mike could beat any all time great except his REAL contemporary opponents Douglas, Holyfield, and Lewis. Their excuse-"Well, it wasn't Late 80's Mike"
The reality-"Mike's late 80's opponents weren't really that good".

# 49 Money99 @ 05/09/08 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Aw, the Tyson legions and their rewriting of history. Mike could beat any all time great except his REAL contemporary opponents Douglas, Holyfield, and Lewis. Their excuse-"Well, it wasn't Late 80's Mike"
The reality-"Mike's late 80's opponents weren't really that good".
That is the argument that will rage on for years and years to come.
It's the same argument some people are using for why Tiger Woods is so dominant now. His competition is garbage compared to what Nicklaus faced. Does that mean Woods is overrated? Another debate for another board.

# 50 Pared @ 05/09/08 02:21 PM
Nice! Just read about this!

# 51 ZB9 @ 05/09/08 08:18 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't consider foreman or frazier to be similar in any way to tyson. Just because they were the feared surly fighters of their day doesn't mean they are the same fighters.
Frazier and Foreman were both better imo...Tyson was one of the best ever obviously, but it is difficult to say that he measures up to either of those two imo

but it's really cool that Iron Mike is in the game. I wonder if Little Mac will be in it also

# 52 Money99 @ 05/10/08 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB9
Frazier and Foreman were both better imo...Tyson was one of the best ever obviously, but it is difficult to say that he measures up to either of those two imo

but it's really cool that Iron Mike is in the game. I wonder if Little Mac will be in it also
Forget Little Mac, get Glass Joe in there!

P.S. I had a higschool buddy that used to get his butt handed to him by Joe all the time. Hahaha!

# 53 mr_president @ 05/10/08 12:01 PM
Quote:
I give Ali all the credit in the world.....except the smarts to know when to quit. I wouldn't consider foreman or frazier to be similar in any way to tyson. Just because they were the feared surly fighters of their day doesn't mean they are the same fighters. As i said, Tyson was a phenomenon after a great decade of 70's heavyweight boxing. He was something the world had never seen.....even after all those greats. And Holyfield didn't pick him apart in that first fight, he took his shots too. And let's not forget that the Tyson Holyfield faced was not Tyson in his prime. It was post-prison era Tyson. Again, in my opinion, Ali is unconcsious inside of 4 rounds facing a late 80's era Tyson.

And in that clip Ali's opponent isn't advancing on him. He's keeping his distance throwing those shots. Those moves would never work with a young Tyson coming at him frothing at the mouth looking for the deathblow.
you have ali going down and out in four and yet you claim to give him credit???

please stop with the tyson being past his prime argument...as i said, tyson had 8 fights prior to facing holyfield and 6 of them were stopped and tyson was being praised for his performance...the so called experts had tyson, the one you call past his prime, knocking holyfield out easily, i think holyfield was a 20 -1 underdog(or something like that)...tyson was not past his prime when he faced holyfield he was just defeated by a better fighter.

and the thing that the ali clip shows that you fail to see is composure, something else that mike tyson lacked and would have led to his defeat.(remember he did bite off a piece of holyfields ear)

7 rounds

# 54 JayBee74 @ 05/10/08 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i think holyfield was a 20 -1 underdog(or something like that)...tyson was not past his prime when he faced holyfield he was just defeated by a better fighter.
All depends who you are talking to-a lot of Tyson extremists put him out of his prime one day before the Buster Douglas fight (age 23). However, against Holyfield he was now 30 and had his 3+ years of prison behind him. He was probably on the down slide, but don't forget he pulverized 4 decent "post prison opponents", so it wasn't like he wasn't decently tuned. Another case of Mike uneasy with opponents who actually fought back.
PS:Holyfield started off as a 25-1 underdog, but by fight time it was all the way down to 7-1 or 8-1.

# 55 mr_president @ 05/10/08 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
All depends who you are talking to-a lot of Tyson extremists put him out of his prime one day before the Buster Douglas fight (age 23). However, against Holyfield he was now 30 and had his 3+ years of prison behind him. He was probably on the down slide,but don't forget he pulverized 4 decent "post prison opponents", so it wasn't like he wasn't decently tuned. Another case of Mike uneasy with opponents who actually fought back.
PS:Holyfield started off as a 25-1 underdog, but by fight time it was all the way down to 7-1 or 8-1.
Quote:
but don't forget he pulverized 4 decent "post prison opponents"
agreed...and as i stated...8 fights prior to holyfield and 6 of them were stopped.

Quote:
i stand corrected..25-1...thank you good sir,i knew it was up there.

# 56 JayBee74 @ 05/10/08 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
agreed...and as i stated...8 fights prior to holyfield and 6 of them were stopped

i stand corrected..25-1...thank you good sir,i knew it was up there.
Speaking of odds I remember the Sports Illustrated article that had a preview of the Tyson-Larry Holmes fight. The writer basically said Holmes was a good bet at 15-1 (the current odds). Larry was another fighter absolutely terrified of Tyson, and fought like a 50-1 shot. Just thought I'd throw that in there!

# 57 Pappy Knuckles @ 05/11/08 03:59 AM
I like the suggestions that were mentioned in the thread. At the very least, hopefully FNR4 will have glancing blows and do something about the parrying. I'm very excited about Tyson being in the game. If his eyes start blinking watch out for uppercuts.

# 58 JayBee74 @ 05/14/08 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Here is some funny Tyson trivia...Tyson only fought Holyfield because Evander looked so bad against Bobby Csyz that Tyson thought he would be an easy mark. Nice call, Mike. And everyone knows of the millions of dollars be paid Lennox because he was scared to death of him. That is all.
That's enough. I thought an old George Foreman would have given Mike fits. That's a heavy statement considering some Tyson fans discredit a young murderous Foreman when they make a case that Ali's opponents were not that good.

# 59 JayBee74 @ 05/14/08 05:58 PM
Quote:
He had lost key elements in his life (training staff) that had kept himn straight outside the ring and his fundamentals sharp in the ring. To put it quite simply, his focus and his training were never the same after prison.
His defeat at the hands of Buster Douglas and his inability to avenge that loss doesn't mar his 80's stampede-it obscures it.

# 60 JayBee74 @ 05/15/08 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Actually, Old Foreman wanted to fight him, really bad. There was even a Ring Cover promoting it (or maybe large article, been awhile).
Good memory. From November 1990

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.