Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

As with every sports video game, there are a number of players whose real life counterparts play at a much higher level than their digital counterparts. Caley Roark makes his writing debut today by looking at these types of players in Major League Baseball 2k8 with his All-Underrated Team.

Quote:
"Every new baseball season brings with it a collection of surprise stories, including the rise of an unknown, the sinking of a touted rookie, and the resurgence of a forgotten veteran. Almost two months into the 2008 baseball calendar, these surprise stories start to look less like statistical aberrations and more like lasting trends."

Major League Baseball 2K8 screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K8 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 LanteriX @ 05/11/08 07:54 PM
Jeff Keppinger should have been your SS or 2B, wherever he's listed at since he's like a 50 something I think on the the 2K roster.

# 2 CPRoark @ 05/11/08 09:50 PM
Good call on Keppinger. He's certainly among the underrated.

# 3 Shadymamba @ 05/12/08 01:56 PM
this is a good article... 1 1/2 months into the season and def some surprises glad to see a lot of pirates up there...i mean i know the TEAM is bad, but they do have good players lol!

# 4 slickkill77 @ 05/12/08 03:53 PM
Jamie Shields? Percival?

# 5 duke776 @ 05/12/08 04:41 PM
I agree with Keppinger, he's a beast in real life(this year and last year). He should be the reds starting shortstop but when Alex Gonzalez comes back Dusty will probably make a stupid decision by benching Keppinger.

# 6 derekjeter76 @ 05/12/08 06:48 PM
James Shields is a 78 I think, and I thought he should have been at least an 82 last year. His ERA is under 4 and he plays in one of the most hitters friendly parks in the MLB.

# 7 TripleThreat1973 @ 05/12/08 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by young_bucs_fan
this is a good article... 1 1/2 months into the season and def some surprises glad to see a lot of pirates up there...i mean i know the TEAM is bad, but they do have good players lol!
The key is that we've only had 1.5 months into the season.

Give teams a "second go round" at these players. Advanced scouting, trends, etc will come into effect and adjustments will be made.

The list is long of guys that have had a great month or couple of months and then cooled considerably once teams "figured them out" ... JJ Hardy for a recent example ... perhaps even Ryan Howard this year.

# 8 j10 @ 05/13/08 01:15 AM
its still early.. i don't expect a lot of the guys hot coming out of the gate to continue to produce.. like hendrickson. i do agree about keppinger though, hes really taken advantage of playing time with gonzalez out.

# 9 teebee @ 05/13/08 01:18 PM
Ryan Theriot doesn't deserve any higher ratings, it's still amazing to me that this guy is starting in the majors

# 10 slickkill77 @ 05/13/08 04:45 PM
I can see you didnt take defense into account. Bartlett. Jamie Shields deseved it but hey whatever hes a Ray. We arent 21 - 16 this year or anything. Does ESPN run this site?

# 11 TripleThreat1973 @ 05/13/08 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebeebee1
Ryan Theriot doesn't deserve any higher ratings, it's still amazing to me that this guy is starting in the majors
Some would say that playing for the sCrUBS is like being in the minors.

# 12 frago @ 05/13/08 06:28 PM
Would realllly add James Loney.
Best player on the Dodgers and still rated the same as he has been for the last 3 years. Rated like a minor leaguer.

# 13 Bl00DVein @ 05/14/08 01:05 AM
I guess these two guys dont watch enough baseball, last time i check theriot is batting .331 ahr 10 rbi...and he doesnt deserve to be in the majors? LMAO!!!!get your facts first then start talking .And as for the other guy, Cubs are first place, i think theeyre top five in the majors on base hits, runs scored, walks takenOn base perc. and slugging.

# 14 Bl00DVein @ 05/14/08 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebeebee1

GABRH2B3BHRRBITBBBSOSBCSOBPSLGAVG

do you see these stats in the minors without being called up?

# 15 davesandstorm @ 05/15/08 03:13 AM
Great call by the guys earlier in this thread to say Jeff Keppinger. I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff when he was playing ball in Altoona for the Pirates organization. What a class act and a great ball player. It really sucks that he was unfortunately injured this past week. He rarely ever missed putting the bat on the ball and was always a tough out.

# 16 TripleThreat1973 @ 05/15/08 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl00DVein
I guess these two guys dont watch enough baseball, last time i check theriot is batting .331 ahr 10 rbi...and he doesnt deserve to be in the majors? LMAO!!!!get your facts first then start talking .And as for the other guy, Cubs are first place, i think theeyre top five in the majors on base hits, runs scored, walks takenOn base perc. and slugging.
I was making a joke.

The Cubs are in first place in May. I've seen this movie before. I believe it ends with [1] getting swept in the playoffs, or [2] self-destruction in the playoffs ... or more realistically [3] a fall in the standings during July/August.

Any team can have a bad century, right?

# 17 AftershockFx @ 05/18/08 01:11 AM
Finally someone that noticed Doumit, McClouth, Nady and Capps were all under rated.

# 18 TripleThreat1973 @ 05/18/08 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AftershockFx
Finally someone that noticed Doumit, McClouth, Nady and Capps were all under rated.
They play in Pitt ... hence, most were likely surprised to know that they were real major leaguers and not just fake names.

Jason Bay's rating in the game keep dropping in video games. How long till he's an 82? Man, he shoulda got out while he could when the stock was high.

Heck, even the Expos of the mid 90s and Royals of the late 90s/early 2k's had all this talent they lost to bigger markets, Pitt can't even blame it on that.

Is it the Barry Bonds curse?

Oh well, at least hockey is on the upswing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.