Home
Madden 09 News Post

There has been an onslaught of previews popping up across the Net following the EA Sports press event in Vancouver last week. At the event most of EA Sports’ big hitters for this year were shown, none bigger than the behemoth that is Madden NFL 09. However, the Madden media fallout has led to a few inconsistencies in the various previews which now need to be cleared up. Operation Sports recently contacted EA Sports to hopefully clear up some of the confusion, and today Madden NFL Executive Producer Dale Jackson responded to the request.

Following the event some outlets wrote that in-game saves would be in the game this year, but Jackson said that the team was not able to include in-game saves this year.

Quote:
"We won't have in game saves this year. We hear the feedback, but we are focusing our remaining time on bug fixing, tuning, and polishing the game in the short time remaining this year. We keep a list of requests we see and will make sure this is added."

Another point of contention dealt with what was said at the press event. Madden NFL Senior Producer Phil Frazier said at one point that presentation and online leagues were the two biggest focuses for Madden 09. While that may be true, Dale Jackson wanted to clarify Mr. Frazier’s statement:

Quote:
"I also want to clarify that Game play is our number one priority this year and has a group of developers specifically devoted to it. Presentation and on-line leagues were the top 2 user requested features coming out of last year, and we wanted to make sure that we addressed them."

Operation Sports’ Executive News Editor Steve Noah attended the event in Vancouver but he doesn’t remember hearing Mr. Frazier specify if it was EA’s or the users’ number one request.

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Brassman @ 05/14/08 07:44 AM
EA doesn't care about the 30 -40 yr old adult market . You know, guys with a wife, kids and an outside life. Since the early 2000's this game has been aimed at the 15 - 25 yr old market who play 5 min. quarters on line and expect to score 50 points a game. These players don't need an accelerated clock or in game saves. In fact, I don't think they really want the game to reflect real football. They want "hit stick" bomb it out football. Now, those of us who enjoy playing a graphic simulation of real football have still bought Madden because, thanks to the exclusive license, there was nothing else left to buy . And now, as a matter of fact, those of us old folks who have enjoyed playing a graphic, not text based, football game on our PC's for almost 20 years will have no games left to buy at all. Thanks EA Sports!

# 62 Hammerhunker @ 05/14/08 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassman
EA doesn't care about the 30 -40 yr old adult market . You know, guys with a wife, kids and an outside life. Since the early 2000's this game has been aimed at the 15 - 25 yr old market who play 5 min. quarters on line and expect to score 50 points a game. These players don't need an accelerated clock or in game saves. In fact, I don't think they really want the game to reflect real football. They want "hit stick" bomb it out football. Now, those of us who enjoy playing a graphic simulation of real football have still bought Madden because, thanks to the exclusive license, there was nothing else left to buy . And now, as a matter of fact, those of us old folks who have enjoyed playing a graphic, not text based, football game on our PC's for almost 20 years will have no games left to buy at all. Thanks EA Sports!
Yep, this sums it up. This also answers the "Well if you don't like the product don't buy it." We kind of have to because it is the only thing we've got. Since we are consumers, we do have a right to gripe.

I always hold out for hope. The first demographic you mentioned, I was on the far right of it, and I guarantee the upper end of that demographic will be a growing because the wave of origianal Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo, Sega, etc. gamers are now older, and still playing.

# 63 Jistic @ 05/14/08 08:45 AM
Quote:
Dam I was just gonna post this. ANd you've hit it right on the head.

They've gotta have enough market data that suggests targeting this demographic. People that don't want sugar buzz football just must not be a lucrative market anymore.

# 64 ODogg @ 05/14/08 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydra
I'm looking forward to Backbreaker as a replacement for APF2K to challenge Madden.
I don't think you or anyone else looking for a Sim in Backbreaker will be the least bit happy. Reading interviews with the devs it sounds like it will be even further away than Madden in regards to realism. Sure the actual hits and all that will be far more realistic but the devs have said they don't plan to be "constrained" by NFL type play.

Just from reading that and other comments I get the feeling it's going to be like an NFL Blitz with some crazy rules and whatnot (ex. 100 yard field? we're not constrained by that, let's do a 60 yard field, more scoring = more fun!). You wait, Backbreaker will serve one purpose, to make everyone bemoan the fact that EA or Taketwo didn't buy the technology. I seriously doubt any of us sim-guys will be playing Backbreaker more than a few weeks after it's release and the wow factor wears off.

# 65 Vikes1 @ 05/15/08 01:16 AM
Yes this news is very disappointing.

When I first read about In-game saves being in '09'...I was very pleased. I'm also an older gamer with a wife, three kids and a home to take care of. To me...In-game saves is just a commonsense feature to have back in the game. So the news that in fact this very valuable feature wasn't returning, was a letdown. I use 12 min qrts in my franchise games, so my games can get kinda lengthy...and real life comes calling often.

I suppose it sounds kind of silly but...I took it as kind of symbolic when we first heard this feature was returning. "Symbolic" meaning that a feature was being brought back that was maybe a little more geared towards the adult gamer that didn't always have the spare time to finish a full game. Not the end of the world...but a drag.

Ah heck...I'm still looking forward to '09' regardless.

# 66 blklightning @ 05/15/08 02:32 AM
the ****? this is the fourth madden on next-gen and they still haven't implemented in-game saves? FAIL.

# 67 tackle74 @ 05/15/08 02:53 PM
Quote:
As an old gamer (40) with a wife and kid on the way things like this are a huge effect on me. I did not buy Madden 07 or 08 for my 360 and will continue to boycott this year. I actually lost it when I lost my custom playbook and ability to adjust substiutions by formation. I oince again will rent and be sickened by the 8th Pick of the game and the inability to play the high quality game I used to enjoy in 2005.

# 68 coogrfan @ 05/15/08 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
Right! with such useful and pertinent additions like; holographic training, and stadium exteriors how dare we complain that something useful and not very new isnt included in our $60, been coming out for 20 years, game.
I doubt very much that this is in any way, shape or form "your" game.

In fact, I'll go one step further: there isn't the slightest chance you are going to buy M '09. You know it, I know it, heck everyone here knows it. How then does this effect you in any way?

# 69 maddenps2 @ 05/15/08 05:09 PM
The excuses they use are pathetic. I'm sure if they wanted to they could implement in-game saves in no-time.

# 70 yamabushi @ 05/15/08 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I doubt very much that this is in any way, shape or form "your" game.
Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
In fact, I'll go one step further: there isn't the slightest chance you are going to buy M '09. You know it, I know it, heck everyone here knows it. How then does this effect you in any way?

It affects me because I, like a lot of people, would like to have a good, new, NFL game to play.

And sense were throwing around baseless accusations: there isn't the slightest chance you are not going to buy M '09. You know it, I know it, heck everyone here knows it.

I, on the other hand, fully intend to try out Madden, and if what I play impresses me sufficiently I will buy it. I will also go see the next Uwe Boll movie if Roger Ebert gives it 4 stars.

# 71 countryboy @ 05/15/08 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
The excuses they use are pathetic. I'm sure if they wanted to they could implement in-game saves in no-time.
I wouldn't say in no time. Apparently they tried to implement them but they didn't work.

# 72 maddenps2 @ 05/15/08 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I wouldn't say in no time. Apparently they tried to implement them but they didn't work.
Believe what you want. I have my opinion.

# 73 yamabushi @ 05/15/08 05:44 PM
Quote:
Seriously, how long could it take them to implement a feature they've already done before into a more powerful machine.

# 74 countryboy @ 05/15/08 06:20 PM
Quote:
I am only going by what was mentioned on the forums. I believe that Steve mentioned that while in Vancouver, he got a chance to see this game and they tried to do an in-game save(as it was an option) but it didn't work.

I wasn't trying to discredit you or anything, just pointing out that apparently they can't put in-game saves into the game in no time, because when they tried, it didn't work.

# 75 coogrfan @ 05/15/08 06:22 PM
Quote:
Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled.

It affects me because I, like a lot of people, would like to have a good, new, NFL game to play.

And sense were throwing around baseless accusations: there isn't the slightest chance you are not going to buy M '09. You know it, I know it, heck everyone here knows it.

I, on the other hand, fully intend to try out Madden, and if what I play impresses me sufficiently I will buy it. I will also go see the next Uwe Boll movie if Roger Ebert gives it 4 stars.

Ok, good answers all. yamabushi 1, coog 0.

# 76 countryboy @ 05/15/08 06:22 PM
Quote:
Seriously, how long could it take them to implement a feature they've already done before into a more powerful machine.
apparently longer than it should as it didn't work when they tried it.

# 77 yamabushi @ 05/15/08 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
apparently longer than it should as it didn't work when they tried it.
Which just baffles me, and brings up the old accusation (one I don't havent subscribed to ) that tiburon is wanting in the coding dept.

# 78 countryboy @ 05/15/08 06:39 PM
Quote:
Which just baffles me, and brings up the old accusation (one I don't havent subscribed to ) that tiburon is wanting in the coding dept.
baffles me too.

# 79 bkrich83 @ 05/16/08 04:48 AM
Quote:
It seems to be more difficult than people seem to think. While it pisse me off to no end to not have in-game saves (I firmly believe it should be a standard in every sports game), in talking to both the developers for NFL2k5 and MLB The Show, it sounds pretty hard. I have been begging Kolbe for years for in-game saves. It was always a time constraint thing with them as well. Finally it got in this year. I bugged Shawn Lee for years with the 2k series and APF, again it was always a time constraint thing. Just never super high on the priority list, but difficult enough to warrant significan development time. I don't think you could accuse the MLB or 2k teams to be wanting in the coding dept.

# 80 mdgoalie37 @ 05/16/08 09:16 AM
Even if they made saves only available at the end of each quarter I would be (fairly) happy. Games like GTA (I haven't played the new one yet) have essentially in-games saves at specific points.

I miss the accelerated clock even more.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.