Home
News Post

IGN has posted a "Full Drive" video of NCAA Football 09.

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 GetYaWeigtUp @ 05/16/08 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
i agree about it not being the same. i played around 500 or so game on NCAA '08 so far and just watching the videos for '09 i can see the difference. alot smoother and people seem more aware of the other players around them(still not perfect).

I can't tell how many times i lost a fumble because i hit the pitch button on accident.

around the 1:40 mark, #91 of BC and #35 of BYU get into a post-play shoving match and then throw up their hands in the "I didn't do anything" animation, lol.
Didnt see that, I'll check it out!

# 42 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 01:06 AM
Okay, I officially a "geek" now. I'm sitting here watching the video on fullscreen on Quicktime frame by frame. And it WAS a strip and aerial fumble that the TE caught. But here's something that really has me excited. At 3:13 the player calls a pass and at the snap the RE goes speed rush with inside technique and beats the LT. Does the tackle give up? No he goes for the cut block at the knees. There seems to be some relief from the suction. Yay! But I did see one run where the LB came on a delay and defeated the RT who preceeded to go for a second level block, only to turn back as his RB was getting hit (1:40). But this is still Beta. I do love how the OLB cheat in on run D on first downs. The LOLB starts to creep in at the beginning of the snap count leaving the TE with a bad angle for the pickup block. Nice to see the CPU do that. That's more of a Human move to me. That'd make me think about an audible. Nice pocket at 3:08. Funny that the guy drops back 5 yards more than he needed to. But the step into the throw and nice "zip" on the ball looked right. This guy really plays halfway decent.

Hey, WTH on the HB dive at the 1? Why did 4/5ths of the line go left on a straight ahead power blocking scheme? It left the FB 1 on 1 with the LB who defeated him to blow up the whole play! I see the weak side overload, but when they fire off the whole line goes left trying to seal guys who aren't even in the play and then the FB goes for the DE who the TE already had taken out with a cut block, only to be late on the MLB coming through the hole. Just some really funky blocking. But I am liking how the D seems really aggresive at hitting the hole and blitzing down near the GL. That sack was lovely how the DE hurdles the block and gets to the QB. It seems the D is free at last! The more I watch the little stuff the more I see what they've changed. Good job guys. But still more to go.

# 43 Village Idiot @ 05/16/08 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYaWeigtUp
And I think that some of the guys here are just to damn anal about this game. I mean get a life why wont you. You sit here and analyze every little aspect of this game as if its your life. "OMG no footprints, OMG no post play continuations." I mean geez, get over it. Its not that deep really. We all want a stellar game but sometimes when I surf around different forums I feel like everyone has OCD. Just overly compulsive about every last thing they see. Just enjoy what we have and be thankful you even have hands and fingers to even play a video game because some people don't.
There's some MAD irony in there, dude.

# 44 BezO @ 05/16/08 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I think the tackle at 3:30 is one of the best tackling plays I've ever seen in an EA game. I which I could see it at another angle, because to me it seems like at least 3 if not 4 players try to get in on the tackle with nary a hint of a forcefield or bumper car animation sequence.
Agreed! That's what I want to see on a consistant basis. For most power backs, I imagine a 1/3 of their carries end with 2 & 3 defenders bringing them down. If that type of interaction is typical, their finally getting it. Add some struggling-for-extra-yards animations to that, and that's what I would expect to see if they're skipping on a natural physics engine.

But it doesn't look like the blocking has changed a bit. D-linemen still just seem to give themselves up. No attemps to avoid being engaged, speed rush and take a corner, fake a speed rush before an inside move, hand fight, nothing. It was funny to see someone refer to Tecmo, because that's exactly what it looks like... with better graphics.

But between that gang tackle and the recent Madden blog, they at least worked on the tackling. Now just get some mobility & variety in the blocking mechanics so more defenders can get near the ball and this can start looking like football... at least near the line of srimmage.

# 45 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Agreed! That's what I want to see on a consistant basis. For most power backs, I imagine a 1/3 of their carries end with 2 & 3 defenders bringing them down. If that type of interaction is typical, their finally getting it. Add some struggling-for-extra-yards animations to that, and that's what I would expect to see if they're skipping on a natural physics engine.

But it doesn't look like the blocking has changed a bit. D-linemen still just seem to give themselves up. No attemps to avoid being engaged, speed rush and take a corner, fake a speed rush before an inside move, hand fight, nothing. It was funny to see someone refer to Tecmo, because that's exactly what it looks like... with better graphics.

But between that gang tackle and the recent Madden blog, they at least worked on the tackling. Now just get some mobility & variety in the blocking mechanics so more defenders can get near the ball and this can start looking like football... at least near the line of srimmage.
Huh? You need to watch download the vid and watch it like I did. The DE play is a lot better. And the LB's are filling holes better than I've ever seen in an EA title. I'm critical too, but fair.... And the tackle at 3:30 is great-looking, but is the result of terrible blocking!

# 46 BezO @ 05/16/08 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
At 3:13 the player calls a pass and at the snap the RE goes speed rush with inside technique and beats the LT. Does the tackle give up? No he goes for the cut block at the knees. There seems to be some relief from the suction.
Ahhh. I didn't see that. That did look good. They need WAAAAY more of that... and for outside moves, and skilled DTs, and LBs... and lateral equivelents for LBs & d-linemen beating blocks on run plays. And add some animations where the blocker wins by riding the defender beyond the play on moves like that.

Still way too much stationary blocking though. But EA's working. Maybe it's a matter of AI at this point and getting the situations to occur more often. With Madden having a month advantage on NCAA, they may finally address one of my concerns.

I might have to contact the Madden-Could-Be-Sweet-Next-Year Club for some literature.

# 47 bad_philanthropy @ 05/16/08 01:50 AM
For those of you who think that pitch screw up play is unrealistic.

# 48 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 01:56 AM
Watch the play before the strip where the guy calls HB gut to the left. The DT defeats the C and is there so the guy cuts back right, the LB who has TE coverage breaks off and flies into the cutback lane for the tackle. Then watch the whole next play in slow mo. The CB defeats the WR block and comes in from the side causing the fumble which goes to the RG. The funny thing is the guy didn't hit the hole which caused all of the D to break blocks and pursue him. Nice thing to see the D follow him, not the old Me and the OL lineman slow dance.

# 49 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
For those of you who think that pitch screw up play is unrealistic.

&ampnbsp
It wasn't a pitch. The CB caused a fumble which just happened to go forward to the RG. You guys are blind! Of course it IS 1:57 A.M.! LOL

# 50 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 02:09 AM
Watch the RT on the CB-caused fumble. He loses contain because the guy doesn't hit the hole, but still keeps going and ends up blocking both the LB in pursuit and the CB who caused the fumble before the end of the play. Good stuff! And the RB who fumbled appears to get back into the action too.....Nope it was the TE blocking the backside of the play along with the RT while the RG advanced the fumble. Can you do that? It's late and I'm tired.......

# 51 BezO @ 05/16/08 02:22 AM
Quote:
Huh? You need to watch download the vid and watch it like I did. The DE play is a lot better. And the LB's are filling holes better than I've ever seen in an EA title
Your right. I needed to see it up close. I have to take back some of what I said. I saw a few things:

@ 1:17, a blitzing LB on the left makes a nice outside move. And the action is good across most of the line on that play.

@ 1:37 there's a cross block by the LG & LT. Nice! Not sure why they did it, but that shows some potential AI for something else I've been wanting to see... trap plays where a playside lineman leaves a d-lineman free to be trapped. That was good coordination between them.

But I want to see these things more consistently & frequently. I want to see quicker 4-3 DEs & DTs consistently attempting to stay disengaged from o-linemen, making moves to the inside & outside. I want to see power rushers consistently trying to stay disengaged, attempting to rip & swim. And I want to see some mobility with the engaged blocks. I don't remember any runs CALLED to the outside, but I want to see engaged linemen flowing towards outside runs.

But yeah, that looked much better then anything I've seen from them previously.

Quote:
And the tackle at 3:30 is great-looking, but is the result of terrible blocking!
Yeah, that looked like a counter play to the left that never quite countered. Hey, if it's in the game...

# 52 Flightwhite24 @ 05/16/08 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr4693
Are they trying to make me not want to buy this game?????....no thanks EA, I already have NCAA football 07!!!!!!(which looks exactly the same)
I feel the same as you do. This game looks exactly like 07. If I had not been told I would have thought it was 07. Peace!!!!

# 53 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Your right. I needed to see it up close. I have to take back some of what I said. I saw a few things:

@ 1:17, a blitzing LB on the left makes a nice outside move. And the action is good across most of the line on that play.

@ 1:37 there's a cross block by the LG & LT. Nice! Not sure why they did it, but that shows some potential AI for something else I've been wanting to see... trap plays where a playside lineman leaves a d-lineman free to be trapped. That was good coordination between them.

But I want to see these things more consistently & frequently. I want to see quicker 4-3 DEs & DTs consistently attempting to stay disengaged from o-linemen, making moves to the inside & outside. I want to see power rushers consistently trying to stay disengaged, attempting to rip & swim. And I want to see some mobility with the engaged blocks. I don't remember any runs CALLED to the outside, but I want to see engaged linemen flowing towards outside runs.

But yeah, that looked much better then anything I've seen from them previously.

Yeah, that looked like a counter play to the left that never quite countered. Hey, if it's in the game...
But he called HB dive, thats why the blocking is so messed up. And the lineman fired left before the Defense even began to move. It's like the O-line was reacting to the defensive formation instead of focusing on the called blocking scheme and reacting to the defenses movement. I did see a nice run with a pulling guard who actually got out in front of the play and hit the point of attack before the RB. (first run)Nice. That run at 1:37 is the C and LG trapping. But look at the Defensive End on that play, he takes an outside angle and gets the RT going out and then comes back inside to make the tackle. Nice.... Of course the RT goes stupid after he's beaten and goes to the second level instead of falling on the back of the DE and trying to break his spine! Still a lot of these plays have the "little things" that actually make football FOOTBALL! Oh God! I'm turning into Dan Dierdorf!

# 54 Village Idiot @ 05/16/08 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKYWALKER1
I feel the same as you do. This game looks exactly like 07. If I had not been told I would have thought it was 07. Peace!!!!
07 on the 360? Do you guys mean 08? I don't think it looks anything like 07. Neither did 08, for that matter.

# 55 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 03:00 AM
One last thing. I like how the QB threw to a spot on his TD instead of to the receiver who was still covered and the receiver went to get the ball. I don't remember that before.

# 56 BrianFifaFan @ 05/16/08 03:12 AM
I just thought of something. This vid looks so different than the vids from the Community Day. Maybe a newer build? It moves fast but the D's pretty good and "smart." I don't know if it's just the teams they picked or the Difficulty level, but I can get into this. It doesn't seem as "over the top" as those other vids.....I'm feeling this, EA!

# 57 Rivals @ 05/16/08 03:18 AM
This is the best video yet. The gameplay has definitely slowed to a more realistic level. I noticed that the pre-snap button tutorial has been turned off. Now you get a clean look at the pre-snap formation.

The first run by the running back utilized the new juking system. Instead of sliding three yards to the right, the back shakes the defender with footwork. Seemed a bit overdone in following runs, but that's on the user.

That touchdown catch off the post was fantastic, although those pauses before the celebrations do seem a bit odd.

# 58 AuburnAlumni @ 05/16/08 03:37 AM
Color me impressed!

1. At the 1:20 mark he throws a slant over the middle with linebackers playing zone. In NCAA 08, Super Duper Ray Lewis Clone LB would have accelerated to light speed, jumped 5 feet in the air and picked this pass off. Not so in this one! Nice pass for a nice gain.

2. On the pass down to the 3 yard line, the DB covering the WR on the corner route DOESNT accelerate into hyper speed and jump up 3 feet in the air to swat the ball away. Again, VERY VERY NICE!

3. The line interaction is 100x better this year. I saw smart blocking angles being taken by pulling linemen. I also saw the DEs actually shedding blocks and pursuing the QB and/or ballcarrier. A very nice balance of both.

4. The game speed seems much better than earlier videos. Speedy, yet not "arcade speedy".

5. I only saw one "jump the snap" and that occurred on the point after attempt.

I am VERY impressed with this video. As if I wasn't pumped enough!!

# 59 FlyingFinn @ 05/16/08 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYaWeigtUp
For those of you who think this is the same game as 08, your crazy. EVERYTHING looks way smoother then 08.

The pitch was a mistake, the guy obviously hit the wrong button. We've all done it before.

And the guy went for it on 4th down obviously because this is a video meant for the public to demonstrate a FULL DRIVE. He clearly went because he was trying to show off the game. He isnt thinking about cheesing the CPU, lol gimme a break.

And I think that some of the guys here are just to damn anal about this game. I mean get a life why wont you. You sit here and analyze every little aspect of this game as if its your life. "OMG no footprints, OMG no post play continuations." I mean geez, get over it. Its not that deep really. We all want a stellar game but sometimes when I surf around different forums I feel like everyone has OCD. Just overly compulsive about every last thing they see. Just enjoy what we have and be thankful you even have hands and fingers to even play a video game because some people don't.

Sorrry for the rant! Really!
Ranting about other peoples rant is soooo much better! Maybe you need to get a life

I do have to say, if this game had more then 1 on 1 interactions, I would be in line at midnight. As it stands now, its a rental since for some reason seeing only solo tackles really grates my nerves.

# 60 callmetaternuts @ 05/16/08 08:36 AM
The video was alright, saw some improvements. I liked the way the RB moved and juked without being arcadey. Take the good and the bad i guess........

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.