Home
News Post

2K Sports to Reveal Cover Athlete for NBA® 2K9
During Pre-Game Show for Game One of the NBA Finals on June 5

Fans can now visit new 2K Sports Community Site to predict next cover athlete and win exclusive prizes

New York, NY – May 22, 2008 – 2K Sports, the sports publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that the cover athlete for the highly anticipated basketball video game NBA 2K9 will be revealed through a 30 second TV spot scheduled to air during the NBA Countdown pre-game show for Game One of the 2008 NBA Finals, June 5 on ABC

As part of revealing the new cover athlete, 2K Sports has launched a new community web site, www.2ksports.com/nba2k9, where registered participants can predict the cover athlete for NBA 2K9 from a selection of 16 NBA players. Fans who predict correctly will be entered into a special drawing for the opportunity to win exclusive prizes.

“We’re extremely excited to offer this online promotion to our loyal community of 2K Sports fans, as we think it’s a fantastic opportunity for us to interact more closely with them through a refreshingly fun and rewarding experience,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “The NBA 2K franchise is king among basketball players and passionate fans who know and understand basketball. Revealing our cover athlete prior to Game One affords us a unique opportunity to capitalize on the anticipation surrounding the NBA Finals while simultaneously generating excitement for the release of NBA 2K9.”

To enter in the NBA 2K9 cover athlete reveal sweepstakes, participants must register from May 22 - June 4. Official contest rules and other important information can be found on www.2ksports.com/nba2k9. Fans will guess the NBA 2K9 cover athlete from a list of NBA players provided, and all entrants that are correct will be entered into a random drawing to win the sweepstakes prizes on June 5. One grand prize winner will receive the NBA 2K9 cover athlete’s authentic, autographed NBA jersey, along with a copy of NBA 2K9 on the platform of their choice. Ten other first prize winners will also receive a copy of NBA 2K9. All winners will receive their copy of NBA 2K9 upon release of the game.

NBA 2K9, which is being developed by Visual Concepts, is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available this fall for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. For more information, please visit www.2ksports.com.

The 2008 NBA Finals are currently scheduled to tip off on June 5 at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC.

NBA 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DakkoN @ 05/22/08 10:32 PM
KG

# 22 jhartman01 @ 05/22/08 10:39 PM
If the shadow is the actual player shadow then it looks like Chris Bosh to me.

# 23 Mintsa @ 05/22/08 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartman01
If the shadow is the actual player shadow then it looks like Chris Bosh to me.
Thats what I was thinking, the shadow looks like he is left handed as well. Bosh is the only left handed player on that list.

If you go by the shadow it looks like Bosh, Iggy or KG.

Last year the guys in the 2k forums found the actual pic of CP3 that matched the shadow in a couple of hours. It was pretty funny.

# 24 Bird006 @ 05/22/08 11:42 PM
Bosh would be AWESOME.

# 25 Starrtech @ 05/23/08 12:19 AM
From a marketing point of view having Bosh would be AWFUL!

# 26 tehova @ 05/23/08 12:40 AM
Voted for D Whistle

# 27 SpacemanSpiff @ 05/23/08 12:40 AM
Josh Smith is lefty too, isn't he? I know that he dunks a lot left-handed.

# 28 Spectre @ 05/23/08 12:44 AM
Eh, I don't think the shadow is of the actual cover athlete.

Lebron would be awesome, as would Kobe.

# 29 ZephyrSong @ 05/23/08 01:02 AM
But... but... but... 2k9 is not gonna be released... but... but..

# 30 Iadf @ 05/23/08 01:11 AM
I voted Deron williams

# 31 db_lunatic @ 05/23/08 01:34 AM
From first glance at the picture, I was thinking Bosh. Then I saw the list of 16 players and saw Bosh's name there. So he's my guess. However I'm not too sure they would actually pick Bosh for the cover. It would've been better to keep Chris Paul, unless they actually did, and I'm wrong. LOL

# 32 BigFella8632 @ 05/23/08 07:02 AM
No one here has mentioned Brandon Roy...

# 33 youvalss @ 05/23/08 08:55 AM
I think they're waiting for the finals because they're gonna choose a player from one of the teams that made it to the finals. So if my Pistons play there, Billups might be on the cover

# 34 dragonsruleme @ 05/23/08 09:18 AM
My guess is Iguodala, he has done mo-cap for them in the past and he is definitely a rising star in the NBA.

# 35 youvalss @ 05/23/08 10:08 AM
I'm not sure if the cover athlete is also doing the mo-cap, or at least not the only one. I remember times when there were others doing the mo-cap in addition.

# 36 Primerica @ 05/23/08 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Eh, I don't think the shadow is of the actual cover athlete.

Lebron would be awesome, as would Kobe.
It's Lebron James
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQkGIbfUO8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQkGIbfUO8

# 37 DC @ 05/23/08 12:05 PM
But that picture is of someone with a short haircut; so that would eliminate Bosh.

I mean IF you are going off of the picture

# 38 RBH @ 05/23/08 12:42 PM
Here's the list of the 16 candidates for the cover:

Chris Bosh
Baron Davis
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett
Andre Iguodala
LeBron James
Yao Ming
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Tony Parker
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Brandon Roy
Josh Smith
Dwayne Wade
Deron Williams

# 39 Goffs @ 05/23/08 01:02 PM
dont care bout the cover athlete but this is great news

# 40 TheBadazz @ 05/23/08 01:15 PM
I voted Deron Williams.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.