Home
News Post

Our racing expert, Terry Crouch, has reviewed NASCAR 09. Terry's very in depth review looks into every aspect of the game. If you've played NASCAR 09 be sure to weigh in with your own score by hitting the "Vote Now" link below.

NASCAR 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NASCAR 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NASCAR 09Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NASCAR 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 auburntigersfan @ 06/20/08 05:36 PM
nice detailed review, well done.

# 2 Bahnzo @ 06/20/08 06:04 PM
A fair assessment, good review Terry.

# 3 BIG CAROLINA @ 06/20/08 06:58 PM
I am happy that a true sim racing fan is reviewing the game and not someone who is not a a racing fan. Great review.
I have the same problem at the plate tracks with the AI being too easy, I wonder if we put the Adaptive AI to "ON" just on the plate tracks if we will have a more competitive race? When I get to Dega in my Season I will give it a shot.

# 4 mgoblue @ 06/20/08 07:24 PM
Great review...points out the pros and cons in a very detailed manner. It's just fun to drive, and that counts for a lot!

# 5 texbuk84 @ 06/21/08 12:34 AM
thats a great and fair review. THANK GOD FOR PETE MOORE. HE IS REALLY LEADING THIS SHIP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!!!

# 6 catcatch22 @ 06/21/08 01:40 AM
The game is very good, reminds me of NASCAR Heat form the PC and the consoles.

My one complaint is some of the "challenges" in the game are not thought out as properly as they were in Heat.

Heat came up with some more historical challenges.

# 7 JohnDoe8865 @ 06/21/08 02:28 AM
Great job on a detailed review Terry! I think it's great that you are reviewing the driving games on OS, because I don't think anyone is even close to bringing your knowledge and expertise to the driving "experience".

N09 wasn't even really on my radar because of EA's previous efforts, but I might give it a shot now, at least a rental.

# 8 av7 @ 06/21/08 02:51 AM
This review is the one to look at, not IGN's being covered by someone who doesnt even like Nascar.

I gave the N09 a 7 but I'd actually bump it up to an 8 for the paint booth feature, I'm addicted to it.

# 9 RaychelSnr @ 06/21/08 12:25 PM
Wonderful review Terry...definitely the most knowledgeable racing fan reviewing games on the 'net today

# 10 dano562003 @ 06/23/08 01:47 AM
Now that was a reveiw! Great job.

# 11 toyorcng20 @ 07/03/08 01:09 PM
Does anyone know of these so called "glitch" set ups? It pisses me off playing online because someone will have it and no matter how you set the car up they will get you by up to 1.5 sec. per lap. Oh well...we should expose it so we can all be competitive. Great review though.

# 12 SilverFox41089 @ 10/21/08 11:03 PM
i just wish they would have put in the R&D, Car Building, and Team Hiring And Firing that they had in NASCAR Thunder 2004. But it is the best NASCAR game since 2004 so im happy . . . for now lol. oh and at 'Dega i just won the race by 6 and a half seconds leading all the laps and i was even off the gas entering the trioval for the final time.

# 13 RunN1st @ 10/22/08 06:15 PM
It is very likely that this was my last year buying an EA made NASCAR game. This experience was fun but yet draining.

So many things that can go so right with this game, go completely neglected year-after-year. Their support and forums are a flat out joke.

# 14 BIG CAROLINA @ 10/22/08 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniner2003
It is very likely that this was my last year buying an EA made NASCAR game. This experience was fun but yet draining.

So many things that can go so right with this game, go completely neglected year-after-year. Their support and forums are a flat out joke.
Especially the forums.

# 15 lnin0 @ 10/22/08 10:21 PM
For all that is wrong with N09 I would still say it is this years best console racer...all the easier said knowing Race Pro is pushed back to Q1 09.

Yes, N09 is not perfect but in my opinion it advances the console racer more than any other title this year. It gives console racers a taste of the real deal.

Car skinning done via your PC and imported into the game - that right there is just brilliant. I will argue with anyone who claims Forza 2's system is more robust or user friendly. In fact, I never understood how anyone could claim F2s system is user friendly - it is not user friendly for artist and it is not user friendly for people just looking to slap a few quick vinyls on their ride. N09 shows us where console games should be heading. I think the only thing that really confused things was EAs insistence on using DDS files. If the online paint shop accepted JPG files and did the conversion itself there wouldn't even be a question as to which way is better.

Online practice and qualifying. Options that are swept away in the sea of cookie cutter arcade racers it is nice to finally have a race game recognize these as part of the race weekend. Again, I questions how games like Forza 2 and GT get away calling themselves 'sims' when so much about their very essence is built around the decade old arcade experience.

Pit Stops. Not some optionless drive through where you come out the other side as good as new. Honest to goodness pit stops where you can elect for different strategies - now if they just work on actually making tire wear and fuel consumption more realistic. But the point is pit stratagies are a major part of racing. Heck, they are so important that TV elects to show commercial during the race rather than miss the pit stops. Why is this huge part of racing so over looked when comes to all the console sim pretenders then?

Rules and flags. In car view. Full featured online racing with the option to us AI cars to round out the field. Massive setup options. Career and challenges to keep you busy in single player. Damage, and while it could be better it at least has DNFs - something most developers are afraid of but a real part of racing. AI that if not all that aggressive is at least pretty clean and pretty intelligent. Own the track is also nice little leaderboard idea that for the most part goes overlooked.

So, even though it has its shortcomings (HUD being #1) NASCAR 09 in my opinion is the racer I want more developers to take notes from this year. Really, anyone can do the arcade thing so it is nice to see a developer swimming against the crowd for a change and trying to give console gamers a little bit of what their PC counterparts have been loving for decades.

If the series maintains its direction and doesn't try to go all casual it will continue to see my money next year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.