Home
News Post

It has now been well over a week since NCAA Football 09 was released and we have seen just about every reaction possible about EA Sports newest game. Our very own Patrick Williams was in the middle of the release frenzy and checks in today with an article discussing his thoughts on how the releases reaction was received among the community in his latest article, Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story.

Quote:
"Summer is usually a time for relaxation in the sports world. Summer lacks any real dramatic sports news. At most, all you can hope for is some kind of off-the-field NFL scandal or hot topic -- and this year has not let us down, thank you Brett Favre and the Packers organization. Still if you love sports -- and since you are here you most likely do -- and play sports video games, you know that summer means a new beginning for the next season’s titles."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Rules @ 07/24/08 05:24 PM
$60 wasted and another crap article stating why "the few" of us don't like the game, making it sound like we are the ones with the problem

Now that 2k is basically gone (from football) I find it funny how quick some jump the shark to the other side when expectation should ALWAYS be at a high level.......NOT JUST FOR EA!

$60...........the price for a game.
The price for a game that you SHOULD NOT have to deal with these glaring gameplay BUGS, especially when it has been HOW MANY YEARS NOW?

# 2 AuburnAlumni @ 07/24/08 05:25 PM
Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 07/24/08 05:26 PM
Great article and can't believe it has only been a week

# 4 fistofrage @ 07/24/08 05:46 PM
Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic. This game may just have hope yet. Still it has been an eventful week or two in the online community with forums everywhere taking some twists and turns to say the least.

But alas, even the sliders were broken. Don't make it sound like there was a horrible storm and now the sun is out. There was a storm and now that people realize that the sliders and other things are broken to the point the community can't fix them. NCAAville is sitting under a dark cloud until EA fixes their broken product. The eye of Sauron is upon us. We are basically powerless at this point.

They have our money so we're at their mercy. I won't be fooled again.

# 5 thmst30 @ 07/24/08 05:52 PM
OK, What the hell is this OS. This is the 3rd or 4th story about how NCAA is a good game and that the ones who don't like it are overreacting. Come On! Yes many people are overreacting, BUT a lot of people have problems with this game and most the complaints are real and warranted. Please Please Please quit sucking up to this game just because the developers are on the site, or because you personally like the game. I'm happy for you, really its great that you can enjoy your purchase, but for those that can't quit putting them down and treating their statements are purely false. Its OK for people to like the game, and hate the game. Try to take a more neutral approach. I personally used to be a huge NCAA fan and would ALWAYS get it day 1, now I cannot stand to play it, it bores the crap out of me, and the bugs/issues drive me away constantly. Doesn't mean my view on the game is wrong, its just MY view. Let those that enjoy it, enjoy it. Let those that dislike it have their say so that hopefully EA can improve upon what they feel needs fixed. This game is still way way behind where I feel it should be by now, so I intend to let EA know that, and maybe just maybe they will make me and many others a little happier in the future. Not everyone will be satisfied, but more so this year than ever it seems, and with good reason. IN MY OPINION.

# 6 SteelerSpartan @ 07/24/08 05:59 PM
Auburn you nailed it man. There are so many damm things broken with the game in just the features dept.

And then you have the gameplay... And its become even harder to remedy it with confirmed broken sliders

# 7 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:04 PM
"But as the week went on and as the dust started to settle, people spent a little more time playing the game. Now reports of people actually having fun with the game are starting to pop up, and threads of gamers posting their best experiences and great games are prevalent. Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic. This game may just have hope yet. Still it has been an eventful week or two in the online community with forums everywhere taking some twists and turns to say the least.

So with the cleanup after the storm taking place now, does normalcy peek out from behind the storm clouds? Only time will tell. But with big brother Madden’s release just a few short weeks away, I know we'll have to gear up to go through it all again, because after all, it is release season!"

Is that the part that's bothering you guys? I'm just curious. I've been busy the last few weeks so haven't been following this whole release thing closely (not a huge football fan in the first place) but I did proof and edit the article and when I read through it, that's the only part I could see you guys possibly jumping on.

This is more about forum psychology than the issues that are or aren't there to me. At least when I read it that's the feeling I got.

# 8 Rocky @ 07/24/08 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
"But as the week went on and as the dust started to settle, people spent a little more time playing the game. Now reports of people actually having fun with the game are starting to pop up, and threads of gamers posting their best experiences and great games are prevalent. Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic. This game may just have hope yet. Still it has been an eventful week or two in the online community with forums everywhere taking some twists and turns to say the least.

So with the cleanup after the storm taking place now, does normalcy peek out from behind the storm clouds? Only time will tell. But with big brother Madden’s release just a few short weeks away, I know we'll have to gear up to go through it all again, because after all, it is release season!"

Is that the part that's bothering you guys? I'm just curious. I've been busy the last few weeks so haven't been following this whole release thing closely (not a huge football fan in the first place) but I did proof and edit the article and when I read through it, that's the only part I could see you guys possibly jumping on.

This is more about forum psychology than the issues that are or aren't there to me. At least when I read it that's the feeling I got.

There's no balance. No explaining why people are upset at the game, just that there is something wrong with "us".

# 9 Sabin @ 07/24/08 06:12 PM
Im so sick of hearing "despite the problems NCAA 09 is still a lot of fun".

The game is still fun because the majority of us are huge CFB fans and its pretty hard not to have some fun with the game when you can play with your favorite team.

Is this game a total disaster? No, but stop shoving "this game is a lot of fun" down our throats when people that enjoy the defensive side of the game are pulling their hair out because of the unrealistic QB & OL play.

# 10 GoVols1985 @ 07/24/08 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin

The game is still fun because the majority of us are huge CFB fans and its pretty hard not to have some fun with the game when you can play with your favorite team.

Is this game a total disaster? No, but stop shoving "this game is a lot of fun" down our throats when people that enjoy the defensive side of the game are pulling their hair out because of the unrealistic QB & OL play.
In all fairness, I could say the same to people who are shoving "this game is broken" down our throats.

# 11 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:17 PM
Quote:

Where's that this game is a lot of fun quote though? And where's the quote that says there's something wrong with you guys? I mean if I misinterpreted the tone I guess that's possible but I just didn't see it while editing it. Like I said before it's more about the forums in general to me, rather than the opinions. Maybe it's because I haven't been following this saga so closely or something, so I'm not reading between the lines or something?

# 12 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
I think it's mostly this:

It's now been a week since the game was "officially released" and the rosters, sliders, and online dynasties still don't work. We've known for months that there was no defensive pressure, returns were broken, and that short passes were impossible to stop, but were assured by stooges and developers that those problems were minor and would be fixed by release.

As AA said, the new features range from poorly implemented to unusable, and the gameplay has serious problems. This isn't complaining just for complaining, this is the most buggy console game I've ever seen.
During editing should I have switched care out for like? Would that have cleared it up more? Otherwise I once again have to plead ignorance because he's talking about pre-release, and in the article doesn't really say everything is rosy now etc.

# 13 AuburnAlumni @ 07/24/08 06:20 PM
Quote:

I agree. I'm sick of folks acting like we are "whiners" or don't know what we are talking about.

"The game is FUN, quit complaining."

Well guess what?

Not being able to play sound defense IS NOT FUN for me.

Having CPU controlled teammates take horrid angles, never get off a block, and do that STUPID "greased pig" animation anytime a player makes a juke move, stumbling around like the 3 stooges....That is not fun for me.

It's not fun for Bill Harris. It's not fun for Bill Abner. It's not fun for Rhombic. It's not fun for LBzrule.

It's frustrating, it's annoying, and it's damn near infuriating, especially considering the game played so well in NCAA 08 on defense.

"Then why do you keep playing it?"

Because I love College Football. Because I have no alternative. Because I WANT THEM TO FIX IT. How do games get better? Folks suggest improvements and they are made.

Unfortunately, for many on here, anyone who think the game is broken in certain AI departments are just "whiners, complainers" and "don't know how to play the game."

Like I said, look who is being the most vocal and unforgiving.

It's not the "9 post wonders".

It's well estabilished, 30+ year old grown men who love this game and this sport and want it to be the best it can be.

# 14 ASB37 @ 07/24/08 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.
Completely agree AA....i don't care how many articles come out that say a few members are having fun....great that's really good for them....this doesn't change the fact that this game has extreme issues all around. It really blows that this is the first year i have been absolutely disgusted with NCAA's offering. I might have been unhappy in years past with too many dropped passes or something like that but this game is broke on so many levels it is just wearing me down. I got through 2 seasons of dynasty and never once did i feel like this game has been playing up to par. I will never ever buy another EA game before or around release. I have learned my lesson finally after a decade of EA bs. So i guess in that regard NCAA was a success.

# 15 muggins @ 07/24/08 06:22 PM
Honestly, this looks like something PastaPadre and the EA sports defense force would write.

# 16 GoVols1985 @ 07/24/08 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
I agree. I'm sick of folks acting like we are "whiners" or don't know what we are talking about.

"The game is FUN, quit complaining."

Well guess what?

Not being able to play sound defense IS NOT FUN for me.

Having CPU controlled teammates take horrid angles, never get off a block, and do that STUPID "greased pig" animation anytime a player makes a juke move, stumbling around like the 3 stooges....That is not fun for me.

It's not fun for Bill Harris. It's not fun for Bill Abner. It's not fun for Rhombic. It's not fun for LBzrule.

It's frustrating, it's annoying, and it's damn near infuriating, especially considering the game played so well in NCAA 08 on defense.

"Then why do you keep playing it?"

Because I love College Football. Because I have no alternative. Because I WANT THEM TO FIX IT. How do games get better? Folks suggest improvements and they are made.

Unfortunately, for many on here, anyone who think the game is broken in certain AI departments are just "whiners, complainers" and "don't know how to play the game."

Like I said, look who is being the most vocal and unforgiving.

It's not the "9 post wonders".

It's well estabilished, 30+ year old grown men who love this game and this sport and want it to be the best it can be.
And I'm sick of people saying to me "if you enjoy this game, you don't know anything about real football." God forbid I can enjoy something without it being perfect in every respect. (not directed at you personally, but what you said gave me a good opportunity to get my point across).

# 17 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:27 PM
So you're mad more about the general coverage around the Web and OS rather than just this article?

I'm just trying to figure this all out because I'm trying to get back in the loop as it relates to this NCAA release. The only other thing I've posted was in the glitches thread, since I was curious how this one writer who I generally respect wrote about NCAA's issues, and if it was a main thing affecting the experience many of you were having.

I'm all about having an open dialogue about this since the staff/writers is broken up somewhat to cover the various games. I don't tend to cover the sim football games for example (minus events like E3 where I was the only one there) but I still like to try and follow almost every game to at least have knowledge of all series.

# 18 Sabin @ 07/24/08 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols1985
And I'm sick of people saying to me "if you enjoy this game, you don't know anything about real football." God forbid I can enjoy something without it being perfect in every respect. (not directed at you personally, but what you said gave me a good opportunity to get my point across).
Problem is to bring in this wide open gameplay the defence basically had their balls chopped off.

The people that dislike the game cant convince people that enjoy the game to hate it, but anyone that wants a realistic defensive game has NO chance that right now. Sure you can have the odd defensive game, but eventually the CPU QB is going to go off on you and their is no way to counter it realistically.

# 19 ChaseB @ 07/24/08 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
With all due respect, why would you write about "the release story" if you don't have a clear picture of the all the events that have played out over the last couple of weeks?

Your article is making it sound like business as usual. It isn't business as usual. This game has several key broken elements, and community members are speaking up in frustration with it, and our comments are being filtered and downplayed because an EA developer is here. Your article further perpetuates the frustration.
I didn't write it, just edited it for grammar and all that. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you feel you guys are being misrepresented by the writers that's totally alright to say though, that's why I'm talking with you guys right now -- I'm trying to find out what's up.

The article is more about business as usual in a sense just because he's speaking in a general sense at the beginning about how football releases tend to go every year. Since I've been apart of a few of these releases when I was more into football I do tend to agree with how the release window breaks down.

# 20 elprez98 @ 07/24/08 06:37 PM
Wow. You can't tell me that this one wasn't a bit biased. Its like the OS front page has become more editorial than fact. We are talking about "feelings" now? We refer to unsatisfied gamers as "Chicken Littles?"

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....I'm sorry Steve but what we talked about before, I just can't believe you. This never....I mean never happened on a football release. Not since '03 and I've read every one. This is an editorial, period.

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.