Home
Madden 09 News Post

The official Madden NFL 09 demo has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TJdaSportsGuy @ 07/31/08 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWurks6
Demo was EH for me. It sucks that you basically only get a play or so. Looks ok but what can you really tell from an extremely short demo. It kinda makes me feel that EA is hiding stuff. To sum it up, a gimicky demo from a gimicky company.
I can't remember where I read it but Tiburon's reason for doing the demo this way was to show folks who were on the fence about buying Madden a different take on the game. They're pretty much of the mind set that the hardcore (us) are going to buy it no matter what.

# 2 kardashian @ 07/31/08 06:30 AM
"you only get a play or so"? Please explain... what can you do in it?

# 3 TJdaSportsGuy @ 07/31/08 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardashian
"you only get a play or so"? Please explain... what can you do in it?
It's more than just one play. You basically take over the Giants on their potential Super Bowl winning drive versus the Patriots. I can't remember how much time is left on the clock when you get the ball but that's what you're able to do on the demo.

That, and I believe you also get to take the Madden IQ test.

# 4 TheVinylHippo @ 07/31/08 06:37 AM
You have to be kidding me...

Are you serious?

# 5 kardashian @ 07/31/08 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
It's more than just one play. You basically take over the Giants on their potential Super Bowl winning drive versus the Patriots. I can't remember how much time is left on the clock when you get the ball but that's what you're able to do on the demo.

That, and I believe you also get to take the Madden IQ test.
isnt that the contents of the demo from the dvd demo? I could of sworn I heard them say this demo was different some how.

# 6 FlyingFinn @ 07/31/08 06:48 AM
Quote:
isnt that the contents of the demo from the dvd demo? I could of sworn I heard them say this demo was different some how.
The LIVE demo is the same content as the DVD demo but is suppose to be "near final" build of the game rather then the early build included on the DVD.

# 7 Old's Cool @ 07/31/08 06:48 AM
The only things you're able to do in the demo is take the IQ test and play as the Giants with only 1:40 left in the game down by 4. But even if you score on the first play and there's 1:32 left in the game, you don't get to play defense. So basically the demo's over once you score.

The demo is more to showcase the IQ test and whatnot, wich has the potential to be one of the coolest features in sports video-games. You take four tests: rushing, passsing, run defense and pass defense. Then you're graded on each part with the 4 difficulty settings in the game. So you could be playing a game with rushing on All-Madden, passing on All-Pro, pass D on rookie and so on. This is has the potential to be a great feature.

# 8 Carolus Rex @ 07/31/08 06:54 AM
We knew this about the demo already since they told us.

What are the impression of the little that is in the demo?

# 9 TJdaSportsGuy @ 07/31/08 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolus Rex
We knew this about the demo already since they told us.
LOL, exactly. But it's WAY more fun to not actually READ what's posted about the upcoming demo then bitch about it once it's out. That's what the internetz are for, right?

# 10 SoxFan01605 @ 07/31/08 07:03 AM
Quote:
This demo is supposed to be from a later build, but that's the only difference. From what I remember you had some developer walking you through the IQ test in the DVD version, but in this one you have Madden. I didn't really pay too much attention to the earlier videos, so I couldn;t tell you what's different specifically other than that. Some quick things:

POSITIVES:
-Game looks fantastic.
-Running feels terrific and much more "weighted" and less wild than last year (I immediately got a taste of what DonF was talking about...fighting through tackles looks and feels amazing...very realistic)
-Deep passes feel much more realistic and receivers catch the ball in stride. There seems to be very little margin for error, but I think I like that to be honest.
-The OL does seem to play better than last year...there is actually a semblance of a pocket and they pull out appropriately and engage well on stretch plays.
-Passing game as a whole feels much better. You sling the ball around like a madman you'll be punished...but not by superhuman LB's, but by fairly solid play.
-Celebrations look excellent also (did the "soldja boy" and some other little dance)
-Overall play feel more controlled and not as herky jerky as 08. Animations seem much improved.

NEGATIVES:

-Madden IQ test seemed aweful easy on offense. I got All-Madden right off the bat on both passing and running. Passing I might have earned (you basically get high IQ for making a completion each time...not hard to do with good reads, IMO). Running was a little too forgiving in the simulator, but did feel great in game, so we'll see.
-Still some quirky animations and "gliding" players (especially when lining up)
-Pocket is improved, but not a true pocket yet, IMO.
-QB seems to be on speed in the dropback and seems to move faster than the rest of the players on the field. This may be the big contributor to a weak pocket as its hard to build around a guy who dropped back 100mph behind you.
-Ball still seems to "warp" into hands at times...more of an animation quirk than an actual gameplay one though (I think)

That's my quick assessment for now. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied. It is hard to get a true feel without playing D or special teams, but I think some will be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: A quick note on tackling. You can really tell this has been improved. Guys "clean up" and finish tackles better than 08 (though still not perfect). Also, there are still some bad animations like the cartoonish "fall flat on your back" results, but I only saw that oonce or twice, so it would appear they've at least been toned down.

# 11 kardashian @ 07/31/08 07:05 AM
ok.. after playing the demo... please tell me the defense can do adjustments while that little walk up to the line animation is going. last time we had a "walk to the line" cut scene every play (madden 07 on 360) people would do that and snap it real quick so the defense couldnt set up... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this not happen again..

# 12 SoxFan01605 @ 07/31/08 07:08 AM
Quote:
ok.. after playing the demo... please tell me the defense can do adjustments while that little walk up to the line animation is going. last time we had a "walk to the line" cut scene every play (madden 07 on 360) people would do that and snap it real quick so the defense couldnt set up... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this not happen again..
Well, you can't play defense so I couldn't say for sure. It does seem like you have to "settle in" a bit before you hike, but I wasn't paying close attention for this from the offensive end...sorry.

# 13 kardashian @ 07/31/08 07:15 AM
something else i dont like... when i have a streak and a corner route on one side and i throw the corner route... the CB in the deep zone shouldnt have eyes in the back of his head and come down to contest it... that is one of the few ways to beat zone.

and lol @ the ball hitting jacobs in the facemask like every play for a drop

# 14 SoxFan01605 @ 07/31/08 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
Nice impressions.To be honest, if those are the negatives, I can live with that. BTW, LOL at the "35%!!!!" post.
Thanks. Remember though (my little disclaimer...lol) that these are very quick things I noticed early on. I'm sure there are more little things both good and bad if you spend more time with it. For example, one thing I forgot to add is about tackling. It seems guys "clean up better than 08 and there are a lot less rediculous hits. You still see a few, however (and the one were you seem to just fall flat down like in cartoons upon impact is still in, though it appears not nearly as frequent)

# 15 JMD @ 07/31/08 07:51 AM
I'd like to point out something. Yes the game does end when you score a TD but if you want to get the feel for the tackling, instead of scoring the TD kick a fieldgoal. This will then alow you to kick off to the Pats and you can see how the kick coverage works, and make a tackle. Once the play is over the game ends. This worked with the DVD demo so I'm guessing it will with this one also.

Also with 1:40 on the clock and 3 time outs you have much more then one play. I played the DVD demo non stop for 2 hours so don't be worried that the demo is short, you can keep playing over and over to try different formations and plays.

I'm at 55% now with the newer demo, if I notice any differences I'll post them.

Sorry I was incorrect, this demo only gives you one time out. The DVD demo gave you 3.

# 16 rckabillyRaider @ 07/31/08 07:54 AM
Ok very quick impression cuz I need some sleep! LOL. The gameplay feels very good. I completed one deep pass where my receiver had a step on the CB. Seemed very realistic. The running game feels pretty good and responsive. The o line seems to block pretty well. Not like NCAA 09, but realistic blocking. I did have to scramble and pass on the run and my pass was a bit off and incomplete. The graphics are awesome. Very crisp and detailed. I just hope there is some field degradation cuz that adds to the realism. The only negative that stood out right away was the sound. I thought it was awful. Like they put no effort into it. The crowd noise especially is garbage and very generic. Oh and that IQ thing was stupid. I most likely won't be using that feature.

# 17 angels28 @ 07/31/08 07:59 AM
I have the PS3 and cannot find it. Is it XBOX only

# 18 TJdaSportsGuy @ 07/31/08 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angels28
I have the PS3 and cannot find it. Is it XBOX only
It'll be out for you guys later today when they update the PSN Store.

# 19 angels28 @ 07/31/08 08:01 AM
thanks, I thought i was getting too old to find it

# 20 countryboy @ 07/31/08 08:01 AM
TJ, what are your thoughts on the demo?

« Previous1234567892425Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.