Home
Madden 09 News Post

The official Madden NFL 09 demo has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 461 davin @ 08/05/08 01:11 PM
I liked the demo, however there is something that bugs me with the AI IQ thing. The pass defense drill. In situations where there is more than one corner, and I am one of them, and the CPU throws to the OTHER CB and it is completed, how does that measure my skill? How am I supposed to defend against two hook routes on opposite sides of the field? The other CB is in horrible position. That isn't my fault.

# 462 GP Mercy @ 08/05/08 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
But if you throw a pick, I can't imagine the demo just ends, right? Or does it? I mean at the least, you can finish the play, yes?
It ends when the CB is stopped.

# 463 dregnus @ 08/05/08 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Running the ball is ok in this game. I need to do it more, but some peope were raving about it, and I didn't get that vibe yet.

One thing I liked was on the first play, I threw a deep ball to Plax. He simply just got by his man like a real deep ball would work. I saw him run by the DB and make the catch, and it was not a cheesy thing at all..very real to how a deep ball is done in the pros.

I am hoping that the game is tough on all pro so online is a real balanced matchup where cheesers can not control the ball the whole game with rocket catches and drop back QBs.
I have to say that was something that I liked as well. I called a play, probably Strong Overload or something from shotgun, that had plaxico burress out on a streak. I was reading the safeties and saw the SS blitz on the play. I IMMEDIATELY threw a deep lob to plaxico, over his right shoulder, and he came down with it easily. The CB tackled him immediately but it was still a nice 20 yard gain.

I can't remember the last time I saw that. Usually the corner in 1 on 1 will just do a superhuman swat. None of that this time.

Now then, having made my complaints of NCAA quite clear, I am glad that madden feels right to me. The defense plays much, much tighter coverage. Strangely enough, this actually helps me on offense as I can read the defense much more effectively than on NCAA.

I'd say this game holds real promise. I haven't had a chance to play as the defense, and that's where most of my concerns lie but, all in all a good demo.

# 464 ak1knight @ 08/05/08 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
I liked the demo, however there is something that bugs me with the AI IQ thing. The pass defense drill. In situations where there is more than one corner, and I am one of them, and the CPU throws to the OTHER CB and it is completed, how does that measure my skill? How am I supposed to defend against two hook routes on opposite sides of the field? The other CB is in horrible position. That isn't my fault.
You can switch between corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
For the love of football over here! For the love of sports! And for the love of gaming! The football, basketball, baseball game that plays the best (the closest to real life) gets my $60. Names and brands mean nothing to me.
Sadly, I think your in the bottom 10% when it comes to the big picture (where you include casuals, where EA, and most every other developer/publisher makes over 90% of their money) and casuals don't care about "real-time physics" or "adaptive AI," most people I know who like football think Madden is a decent enough game and it has the NFL...

# 465 davin @ 08/05/08 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1knight
You can switch between corners

That doesn't matter if the CPU corner put himself terribly out of position making any play impossible. In man coverage with two corners and 2 WRs on a hook route, you have to get in front of him in the demo to make the play. I can position myself in front of one guy, but I can't do it for both guys in the 3 seconds I have.

# 466 ak1knight @ 08/05/08 02:36 PM
Quote:
That doesn't matter if the CPU corner put himself terribly out of position making any play impossible. In man coverage with two corners and 2 WRs on a hook route, you have to get in front of him in the demo to make the play. I can position myself in front of one guy, but I can't do it for both guys in the 3 seconds I have.
true, I guess you could pass rush then.

# 467 mrsinister11 @ 08/05/08 04:53 PM
Quote:

sorry dude but if you think pressing buttons when they appear on screen as a running back measures your running skill in the game, well you'd be mistaken.

the whole madden i.q. thing is 1) a terrible idea to begin with and 2) not even implemented well

i mean come on if you get a good score on the passing portion all that means is your reciever drop wide open balls, just set the diffuculty level and sliders (or lacktherof) yourself.

you would actually trust ea sports ability to give you the right artificial intelligence after taking that god awful tron test?

# 468 ehh @ 08/05/08 08:01 PM
Finally got a chance to play the demo this evening and I really, really liked what I saw. It seems like it's going to be a step up from NCAA in almost every regard. Looks like I may be reserving this game for the first time in five years.

# 469 realtalktruth @ 08/05/08 09:05 PM
cool glitch i found -

when you use fake field goal pass, when the camera pans you can hot route all the receivers. if you hot route the kicker than the kick meter stays on the screen and there is a bit of delay when the backup qb gets the ball. no one try's to hold the kicker so if he can keep the ball in his hands its an easy catch. the first time i scored with him he did the "ballin" celebration.

# 470 dbeth @ 08/05/08 09:55 PM
I had a really weird glitch where I think I fake snapped or something, and then my RG just got up kinda pissed (like he false started), and then just started walking backwards...and never stopped. No flag or anything...

but here's where it gets strange...

I couldn't snap the ball, nor did the game clock stop. The play clock got to :00, but no penalty was called and the game clock kept running. I had to call a TO just to get the clock stopped, but by the time this was all done, there were only like 35 seconds left.

# 471 mrsinister11 @ 08/06/08 01:05 AM
with the regards to the dropped passes in the demo, i wouldn't neccessarily say i've played the demo to death, but i have played it a fair bit and i haven't noticed the dropped balls like i hear so much on here, but i always control the reciever myself, could this have something to do with it?

# 472 the member @ 08/06/08 03:20 AM
Is Madden 09 making the first steps at "cheese proofing"?

Has anyone noticed that if you drop back too far your icons will go down until you get back into a respectable range?

I think its like 15 yards or something....

oh yeah, (i know its just a demo thing) but you dont have to call a play in the alotted 39 seconds in the demo either but thats really not worth mentioning....

# 473 adembroski @ 08/06/08 04:45 AM
My personal opinion on this: It'll do almost no good. Guys that do that are running the same play 25 times a drive anyways, they already know which receiver is which.

The way it should work is to replicate what happens when a QB really does drop back too far... his passing lanes appear smaller, his linemen present more of an obstacle... the camera should drop the further back he goes, until it's basically at head level and he can't see anything.

Sure you'd lose sight of your defense if you're playing him, but this doesn't cripple you the way it does him, it just makes you take control of a defensive linemen for a short time instead of a DB or linebacker.

# 474 Netherscourge @ 08/06/08 08:23 AM
Do the icons disappear for the people playing DEFENSE too?

If I'm playing defense and the Receiver icons disappear when the QB runs backward, it would be hard to keep track of who's a receiver and who's not...

Something like that might actually benefit the offense.

# 475 bcruise @ 08/06/08 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister11
with the regards to the dropped passes in the demo, i wouldn't neccessarily say i've played the demo to death, but i have played it a fair bit and i haven't noticed the dropped balls like i hear so much on here, but i always control the reciever myself, could this have something to do with it?
I really think it does - I saw the same thing when I did my usual thing on the Madden test. But when I purposely screwed up and got a rookie Madden IQ, I didn't have a single dropped pass. I just think the higher level you go, the more your own skills have to come into play to keep the game balanced. Of course, that means someone who doesn't user catch should probably keep the catching slider around Pro level or so when the full game comes out.

# 476 UNC#1 @ 08/06/08 11:53 AM
I Just played the Demo, I might actually have to buy it this year. Too bad they only let play one drive down the field though.

# 477 trick02 @ 08/06/08 04:38 PM
Its a good idea but it prob wont stop ne1 from doing it

# 478 BezO @ 08/06/08 04:43 PM
It's a terrible idea. QBs don't go blind when they drop back that far. Just fix the line play, slow down the drop back and let folks drop back as far as they want.

# 479 laker8la @ 08/06/08 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
It's a terrible idea. QBs don't go blind when they drop back that far. Just fix the line play, slow down the drop back and let folks drop back as far as they want.
I agree with this sentiment. If Madden had a true pocket, then dropping back too far would result in getting sacked!

# 480 gsr888 @ 08/06/08 04:51 PM
Anyone notice a choppy frame rate when viewing replays on the ps3 version? I hope this gets fixed. I heard NCAA 09 has the same problem. The 360 version plays replays fine.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.