Home
Madden 09 News Post

The official Madden NFL 09 demo has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 07/31/08 09:07 AM
How similar does the gamplay feel to 08 from snap-to-snap?

last year when I was looking at the video from 08, I thought the snap to snap gameplay was very similar to 07, just with 60 fps. I bought it, assuming it had changed, and got burned.

Some of the gameplay from 09 gives me the 08 vibe, which can be expected because it's the "Madden identity." Does the game improve that identity, because I'm struggling within myself to find out if I'm tired of Madden because it's not fun, or am I just bored with the identity.

# 42 SimBaller22 @ 07/31/08 09:10 AM
I just thew a pass to Manningham and Rodney Harrison did the same play that was against Tyree...The helmst catch but Manningham dropped it but it was the same animation...

# 43 SimBaller22 @ 07/31/08 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
How similar does the gamplay feel to 08 from snap-to-snap?

last year when I was looking at the video from 08, I thought the snap to snap gameplay was very similar to 07, just with 60 fps. I bought it, assuming it had changed, and got burned.

Some of the gameplay from 09 gives me the 08 vibe, which can be expected because it's the "Madden identity." Does the game improve that identity, because I'm struggling within myself to find out if I'm tired of Madden because it's not fun, or am I just bored with the identity.

the game is still madden...this is not a new engine...if you dont like the madden engine then you wont like this game..

the game is much better then last year but the gameplay engine is the same...diff tweaks but the same engine...

# 44 jzal8 @ 07/31/08 09:14 AM
Hey, I don't post here much, but I got a chance to play the demo and figured I'd post a few comments.

IQ Test:
- A little humbling as I got All Pro's on offense and Pro on both defense drills. For the most part I think I was caught off guard cause I wasn't expecting a chance to play any defense.
- The run defense drill was kinda awkward with the icon above the runners head, it's right in your face at the start.
- I love the passing drills, both offense and defense, because you have to deal with both a man rushing and a man in coverage. Thought that was cool.
- At first I thought the running drill was too easy, then I really just found it to be pretty fun as they are sending guys at you. It's a good drill to get creative with your blocking and stick skills.
- Found depth perception on the defensive passing drill tough to figure out. It would look like my DB was in great position to make a play on the ball, and i would go up to swat it and it turned out I should've been 5 yards futher down field. Maybe I just Suck?

Madden Moment:
- I definitely was not prepared for how visually beautiful this game is. I've watched every video many times, But when the Arizona stadium first loads up and you first see the cut scene of the offense and defense going to the line, it really blew me away. Very very excited to see all the stadiums and teams.
- One thing that I was relieved about with the playcall screen, was that to shuffle through packages it is LB and RB, not the right stick as in NCAA (xbox). I have the hardest time pulling up a package fast enough when I have to use the stick. The buttons are just simpler.
- Most of the offensive plays seemed to be ones I found in NCAA as well, though the formations were different. That is really at a glance.
- Rushing is fun and balanced. I was rushing for 5+ yards, and at the same time I was getting stopped behind the line. The first play is a 4th and short, and I never had a problem getting the first with Jacobs but maybe playing more I will see the defense put up a better stop.
- Passing game was nice, I felt like user catching was more fluent than in years past.
- Bittersweet Giants fan, scored one touchdown, fade to shockey, he flexed his muscles for the crowd.
- Interesting Giants fan tidbit, 4 wide receiver formations bring Mario Manningham out as the 4th guy.
- Didn't get to try lead blocker but hoping thats improved from last year.

All in all, for what it was, I get good vibes about the game. I look forward to spending more time with the demo.

# 45 callmetaternuts @ 07/31/08 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller22
I just thew a pass to Manningham and Rodney Harrison did the same play that was against Tyree...The helmst catch but Manningham dropped it but it was the same animation...
I hope we dont see this animation all the time

# 46 Tomba @ 07/31/08 09:23 AM
demo impressions.

I want the full game.....

# 47 PVarck31 @ 07/31/08 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba321
demo impressions.

I want the full game.....
So that means you like it?

# 48 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 07/31/08 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller22
the game is still madden...this is not a new engine...if you dont like the madden engine then you wont like this game..

the game is much better then last year but the gameplay engine is the same...diff tweaks but the same engine...
man, I just hope the game is fun I don't know if it's the "identity." I can't put my finger on what has been lacking, but I knowing that I wasn't playing a quality product took the fun out for me. Hopefully they are back to quality. I'll keep my philisophical thoughts to myself.

I know the lighting and overall graphics are better, but have the player's faces improved? I hated those military, constipated faces from the previous versions.

# 49 Goffs @ 07/31/08 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
I hope we dont see this animation all the time
im tired of seeing that flip tackle thats always featured in the trailers...god they need more variety with the tackles

# 50 SteelerSpartan @ 07/31/08 09:33 AM
I love the QB wind up for deep passes...should help against those damm cheesers

# 51 Badgun @ 07/31/08 09:33 AM
someone please tell me that you don't have to do that My Skill crap if you don't want to. Tell me that I can get the game, select All Pro and play.

# 52 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 07/31/08 09:36 AM
man THANK YOU to the guy who reminded me of something. Is lead block still in the game, and if so, has it been toned down??

When lead block first came out, I just to use it all the time and pancake the hell out of people, but I came to the realization that it's an unrealistic feature. Lead block was WAY too powerful. Please tell me it's changed.

# 53 PVarck31 @ 07/31/08 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
someone please tell me that you don't have to do that My Skill crap if you don't want to. Tell me that I can get the game, select All Pro and play.
You do not have to do it.

# 54 StormJH1 @ 07/31/08 09:42 AM
Cool, can't wait to check it out. For people who own NCAA, are the gameplay and these new "tackling" and "running" animations significantly different than NCAA?

Also, I better not hear about excessive fumbling b/c that RUINED '08 for me. I tried so hard to get into that game, but that was an irreparable screw up that they didn't even address until football season was more or less over. Inexcusable.

# 55 Harlemal @ 07/31/08 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
I love the QB wind up for deep passes...should help against those damm cheesers
I like that to fam. the game play is solid. the new cam i great for pocket passers but you will def. need to get use to it. If you like 08 like me i have the feeling you are goin to love 09.

# 56 kardashian @ 07/31/08 09:48 AM
Found something else I didn't like... the FG Nets raising animation... it takes over your whole screen and plays for about 3-4 seconds as the clock is running, and if you try to smash A to make it go away next thing you know the help screen pops up and wont come off until you press A again. I could see this causing problems if you have no time outs like the Broncos IRL last year and trying to rush and pick the play and run a field goal and have this animation eff you over.. they definitely should have made it so you can skip the animation by pressing A or something.

The other thing i dont like... having a Streak and a Corner route under nearth by the slot receiver lets say on the left side of the field against cover 3 with no purple zones... the streak route obviously takes the corner in the deep zone down field with him... so my corner route under neath should get open for the corner realistically right? Wrong... the corner in the deep zone has eyes behind his head and magically turns around and races back to contest the ball... god i hope they patch this.

other than those two things.. looks good. glad to finally see that 1on1 coverage isnt exploitable by some type of "user catch" lol.

# 57 MaddenMan @ 07/31/08 09:52 AM
Ok the demo is nice showing off the Madden IQ thing and the most recent Madden moment. Short and sweet and I tried playing crappy on the Madden IQ test and then beating the moment was pretty easy, then I tried my best at the IQ and it seemed as if the moment was much more difficult. Anyone know if they IQ is tied?

Anyways I'm sold this year, picking up my copy on the 12th and I'll be back a month or so after the 12th. I see no point in overanalyzing every aspect of a video game and I'm going to have a blast.

Hit me up with a game invite anytime.

MM

# 58 ch46647 @ 07/31/08 09:53 AM
Some quick thoughts for those of you who are at work or have not yet played the demo:

-As everyone has said the graphics are stunning. And to the poster above I feel that the faces do look alot better this year.(But I do not tend to pay much attention to that stuff)
-The controls feel tight and responsive, very similar to the control you had back in the PS2 days
- I think user catching is MUCH improved this year
-Defensive line pressure seems completely fine to me
-Since that guy in the review the other day said the QB sneak was a "money" play I decide to do a bunch of them. It didnt seem that money to me, there was no guarantee of getting the yard.
-OJ Mayo has a clear face mask and it looks good
-The demo has not penalties, no commentary, cant play defense.(They dont even call delay of game if the play clock runs out)
-Blocking seemed overall better then years past. No true pocket but certainly better then last years
-Animations are very very fluid. ALOT more so then NCAA granted I only played the demo and did not get the game.
-The computer defense does not seem to be a problem in this short defense. I read the horror stories and saw the clips of NCAA's defense and Maddens is much better. Pursuit angles, defensive AI seem to be much more geared to the defensive minded player. This is very important to me because I am a very defensive oriented Madden player
- One problem I have had is with the screen plays. I get sacked everytime, by the time the screen is set up my QB is on his back.(Anyone else having a problem with this)
-New passing camera is excellent and I do not have a problem with the scoreboard being at the top of the screen

Hope this helps guys! All in all from the short demo I am very impressed. I think this is the year Madden fans will start to enjoy Madden again. I have been a Madden fan my whole life but thought the last couple versions have been terrible. This demo is very promising to me.

# 59 Perfect Zero @ 07/31/08 09:56 AM
Well, there are two parts to this game, and I'll break them down under what I take from them.

First, Madden IQ is a fun challenge to do. You go through tests to see what difficulty you should play on, and then you have to play out different scenarios. I think this was really well done, and when I played the challenge in the demo, I think it worked really well (well, at least for the offense). It takes some time, but not enough that you just want to tank it. I think a lot of people who play all the time will enjoy this feature, and maybe, just maybe, this could be the end of games that cheat you.

Second, the only time you get to play in a real game is in a mode called "Madden Moments." The one you get to play in is in Super Bowl XLII, and lucky you, the Patriots are about to stop you on 4 and 1. This game is challenging, but I will echo, this is not a new engine (although, I don't think they promised that). The stadium looks really good, and the field is beautiful. The only gripes that I have are that the player models look a bit too blocky, the names on the back of the uniforms is STILL wrong, and the field looks too small (but that may be because it's a different camera or something to that tune).

I have played the demo going on an hour now, and this is 5x better than NCAA. Again, I don't know about the defense, but if they improved it in any case, it should be good to go. I'm a big NCAA fan, but I think I'm trading it in today to put down on Madden. And I will say this, I think this Madden could finally beat NFL 2k5.

Addition: Yeah, Eli has to wind up to throw deep. This alone makes my day, as EA in the past believed any third stringer could throw 75 yards on the run. Kuddos for finally getting this through.

# 60 DC @ 07/31/08 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
-OJ Mayo has a clear face mask and it looks good

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.