Home
Madden 09 News Post

The official Madden NFL 09 demo has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 cdon2k @ 07/31/08 01:43 PM
Yeah and the cool thing is that it doesn't happen all of the time. It reminds me a lot of the ps2 madden tackle breaks, but actually incorporated into the special moves instead of preempting them.

# 122 trobinson97 @ 07/31/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Why is this even being discussed?

Because obviously, people see it as a problem. Not everybody hangs onto the devs' every word. Not everybody is sitting around waiting for a dev to post in one of many threads that they post in. We can't all be as commited to the EA can do no wrong theme perpetuated by some people. Get it now?

I personally don't care what some dev said, if I throw a pass to the flats, and a defender that was chasing a receiver who was doing a fade route reacts the instant I throw it, as if he has some psychic link with the QB, that's a problem.

# 123 TeixeiraFanatic @ 07/31/08 01:47 PM
I have been playing the madden demo for a while and the last time i did i got to NE's 1 yd line with 07 seconds left. did a play action pass to hedgecock (sp) and he caught one handed for a TD!
i decide to play again and now at the start of the drive i'm on NE's 1 yard line and it's 4th and -63.

# 124 SoxFan01605 @ 07/31/08 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Yeah and the cool thing is that it doesn't happen all of the time. It reminds me a lot of the ps2 madden tackle breaks, but actually incorporated into the special moves instead of preempting them.
Yeah...obviously, with such a limited gameplay experience I can't say for sure, but the breakout system feels like a winner. Actually, this game really does feel completely upgraded on offense. There are still things that need worked on, but I'm reasonably impressed with the level of improvement I've seen to this point.

# 125 jzal8 @ 07/31/08 01:54 PM
Earlier someone asked about if they fixed the lead blocking. They actually made it better I think. If you pause the game and go to setting -> blocking control, you can tweak lead blocking. I am back at work now but i think the options were

Lead Blocking - On/Off

Blocking Camera - Normal/Zoom
Lead Blocking Slow Down - On/Off
Running Back Switch Slow Down - On/Off

Not exact but you get the point. So you can customize to how you prefer it. It'll be nice to see if they made alot more things custom like this in the full game.

# 126 countryboy @ 07/31/08 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97

Because obviously, people see it as a problem. Not everybody hangs onto the devs' every word. Not everybody is sitting around waiting for a dev to post in one of many threads that they post in. We can't all be as commited to the EA can do no wrong theme perpetuated by some people. Get it now?

I personally don't care what some dev said, if I throw a pass to the flats, and a defender that was chasing a receiver who was doing a fade route reacts the instant I throw it, as if he has some psychic link with the QB, that's a problem.
Again, I never said it wasn't a problem. I said that I don't know why people act as if they are surprised to see it. We were told ahead of time that its in there. That was the only point that I was making.

Thanks for making me out as a fanboy though. Very good effort on your part. Hell you have me convinced.

# 127 yamabushi @ 07/31/08 02:05 PM
quick '?'
We all know when you drop back too far the passing icons disappear, but can you still throw the ball?

# 128 unisol_us @ 07/31/08 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
This post cant be serious is it? Its brought up regardless if the dev's say or not because they dont LIKE IT. Is that to hard to understand?

Just like when APF came out, they told everyone is was a barebones game, but still people complained there was no franchise mode. They took rating points from the game because of that, but they let people know that the game wasnt going to have it. Same stuff.

Anyways, downloading the demo now, and got my trusty video camera going on to see what they messed up in this years version. I hope i am surprised.
Only that this horse is so freakin dead that its hard to stomach another thread ruined by this topic. Maybe there should be a sticky "No broken necks in Madden this year" then everyone who want to go on and on about it can post in there till their heart is content. It would help me cause then I would not have to read it AGAIN.

# 129 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 07/31/08 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaa6
If you were a company the size of EA and were confident that you finally had a top notch offering of your bread n butter game, why would you not offer AT LEAST a full quarter of gameplay to make that confident sale to the doubters out there? Is it REALLY to sell the Madden Moments gameplay feature?? Thus, only 1:40 of actual gameplay?

After all the negative feedback the past few years, this hardly makes sense to me. IF this is THE YEAR, knock our socks off with the demo. Show us you finally hit the big time on next gen!

Believe me, I'm really hoping this year's offering is the best yet, but can't help but wonder why such a short demo? Is it so we don't have time to find all the flaws? Sorry, but they are leaving themselves wide open for this kind of thinking, no?
Right, but on the flip side, they have never given this much exposure TWO WEEKS in advance for a game. They may be proud of the visual aspect of the game and wanna showcase only the good. "Hey, meet my new girlfriend, she's a hot bonde with blue eyes... but don't hold a convo about politics with her because she's dumb as a doorknob"

# 130 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 07/31/08 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DaVe-
How is this accurate ? What DB in real life is able to make a play on the ball without even looking at the ball once..??!!???
lol, I agree with you, but a DB can play a defender only looking at the defender. it would be considered "face guarding" though. reading the WR's eyes and hands, and could warrant a penalty in real life. They are coached to turn their heads to at least make it LOOK like they are playing the ball.

# 131 countryboy @ 07/31/08 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
This post cant be serious is it? Its brought up regardless if the dev's say or not because they dont LIKE IT. Is that to hard to understand?

Just like when APF came out, they told everyone is was a barebones game, but still people complained there was no franchise mode. They took rating points from the game because of that, but they let people know that the game wasnt going to have it. Same stuff.

Anyways, downloading the demo now, and got my trusty video camera going on to see what they messed up in this years version. I hope i am surprised.
You know, I am going to step up and take the fault of this because my original post was worded poorly. I guess thats what I get for trying to talk on the forums while working.

My sole point was I don't know why we are surprised that the DB's reacting to the ball without turning their heads first because we were told about it ahead of time. I am in no way shape or form saying its ok or acceptable, just that its there and we were told about it.

Hopefully that will end this discussion and clear up any confusion my intial post caused. My fault guys.

-CB

# 132 JMD @ 07/31/08 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Did Nascar turn out to be garbage?
I have Nascar 09 and i love it. It's very intense.

# 133 Spongedaddy @ 07/31/08 02:42 PM
I liked the demo a lot. It felt much better than the last two years. I enjoyed it so much I might purchase the game after skipping it for a while.

I think the football IQ is a great idea and will help bridge the gap between so called casuals and hardcore.

# 134 JMD @ 07/31/08 02:46 PM
Ok with all this talk of DB's with eyes in the back of their heads I just threw deep 3 times in a row and then watched the replay. All 3 times the DB's were watching the WR until the ball was about 5 feet from the WR. As thr WR's head turned so did the DB's. It wasn't a huge head turn but they did move their point of vision toward the ball. I don't know if this will happen every time but I saw it. watch a replay in slow mo and check it out.

# 135 therockstar2005 @ 07/31/08 02:59 PM
I actually liked the demo, primarily because it was FUN. Despite all of the issues and whatnot that there might be and are, I had fun leading the Giants down the field and figuring out the ins and outs of the system. I also think that the new sub system which allows you to do it from within the playcalling screen is a thing of genius.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with the Madden IQ. It's relatively quick, which definitely helps, and I think that if the game can really adapt to this it will be a really cool addition. I was really surprised with how good I apparently am at offense, and likewise how horrible I am at defense.

And even on my SDTV the game looks really good. Everything just looks really polished and sharp, good details especially with the grass/turf. I have been a bit unsure about whether Madden is going to be worth it this year but after playing this demo it has reaffirmed my faith in it, and actually made me excited for it, dare I say.

# 136 lanemp8 @ 07/31/08 03:11 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that they left the defensive part of the demo out because it's majorly flawed like it was last year. And if I have to wait another month for a patch, I'll friggin

# 137 lanemp8 @ 07/31/08 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Ok with all this talk of DB's with eyes in the back of their heads I just threw deep 3 times in a row and then watched the replay. All 3 times the DB's were watching the WR until the ball was about 5 feet from the WR. As thr WR's head turned so did the DB's. It wasn't a huge head turn but they did move their point of vision toward the ball. I don't know if this will happen every time but I saw it. watch a replay in slow mo and check it out.
I'm sure they're referring to when if you have the receiver on the outside running a fly and the receiver int the slot on the same side running an out, how the db who's following the receiver running the fly magically knows that the balls been thrown to the guy in the slot and makes his way back while the ball is still in the air.

# 138 PVarck31 @ 07/31/08 03:14 PM
I completed a couple deep passes to Plax. One was a TD and he caught it perfect stride over the shoulder. It looked amazing. The other was a jump ball he snagged. Im enjoying the demo so far. Seems like passing is a lot harder this year though. That's not a bad thing though.

# 139 cowboysfan440 @ 07/31/08 03:17 PM
one quick small impression i really like the qb throwing animation on deep balls

# 140 lanemp8 @ 07/31/08 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
You know, I am going to step up and take the fault of this because my original post was worded poorly. I guess thats what I get for trying to talk on the forums while working.

My sole point was I don't know why we are surprised that the DB's reacting to the ball without turning their heads first because we were told about it ahead of time. I am in no way shape or form saying its ok or acceptable, just that its there and we were told about it.

Hopefully that will end this discussion and clear up any confusion my intial post caused. My fault guys.

-CB
y should we have to settle for this flawed mechanic though. I'd understand if it was a new issue, but this pops up every year. Y don't they just fix it. It's the same crap we complain about every year and every year it's not fixed. But we're the fools for continuing to buy the game I guess.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.