Home
News Post

Are you one of the many thousands of NCAA gamers who can't seem to stop the AI offense no matter what the circumstances? Our very own Executive Editor Dave Branda might have discovered a way to possibly get a few stops against the AI offense. Check out his article, Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09.

Quote:
"After doing some some reading in the Operation Sports and MaddenMania forums recently, I had a bit of an epiphany. Thanks in part to my revelation, my Michigan defense "clicked" into place and I absolutely demolished a computer controlled Wisconsin at The Big House, something which was not happening up until that time."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 likebuttababy11 @ 08/07/08 11:38 PM
I have had alot of success using the safety on the "open field" side,the computer LIKES to throw the quickout to the TE and the out to the HB so much(always a big play if not guarded),take these away and I literally seen the comp QB just stand around and get sacked or hurry a throw to a player that is well guarded,on a side note tho,I was using NC state vs SCU and I set the SCU QB up so well,it should of been a coverage sack but the only problem ,no1 from the DLINE could get loose to sack him,He just stood there for like a minute,then fired an incompletion,I was pissed bc NC State has a sick DE who should of been in the backfield all game long,should of took a pick of this crap but anyways heres what I do against the computer:
-Pick 2man under defense in whatever formation they come out in(nickle,dime,etc).
-Use safety on open field side of play.
-Run off the TE drag and HB play(most explosive) as soon as the computer calls hike,then play the middle of the field,the computer won't quick slant you to death and will sooner or later take a sack or throw a user pick into double coverage.

I use Padres Heisman sliders by the way if you wanted to know,computer HB is hard to stop if he gets on the edges.

# 62 DrUrsus @ 08/08/08 03:14 AM
What I do to stop the CPU AI is mix up my playcalling by calling zones and man to man. I mix it up with blitz and non blitz as well. I feel that mixing up playcalling is huge in this years game, especially to do well against robo qb on Heisman. I play Middle LB alot to stop short stuff in the middle. I find this year that if I switch to a DB on defense, I get too many INTs, so I try to avoid that this year.

# 63 BlyGilmore @ 08/08/08 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
It's also frustrating to see your guys watch the QB CLEARLY cross the LOS and not attack him allowing him to scramble for a crucial 1st down.
well IMO more than any other game I can remember, you really need to take control of your players in this year's NCAA. If you expect to stand around and watch your players do the work you're going to have issues.

# 64 cbc72 @ 08/08/08 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
What I do to stop the CPU AI is mix up my playcalling by calling zones and man to man. I mix it up with blitz and non blitz as well. I feel that mixing up playcalling is huge in this years game, especially to do well against robo qb on Heisman. I play Middle LB alot to stop short stuff in the middle. I find this year that if I switch to a DB on defense, I get too many INTs, so I try to avoid that this year.
You are seeing a placebo effect. The devs have said that the game does not respond to your play calling tendencies. It calls plays based on down and distance. Your pattern of play calling in no way influences the CPU according to the devs.

BTW, I would not recommend using man-to-man D if you are Army. :-)

# 65 NoleFan @ 08/08/08 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
well IMO more than any other game I can remember, you really need to take control of your players in this year's NCAA. If you expect to stand around and watch your players do the work you're going to have issues.
I'm getting that same feeling the more I play. Too bad too because the game is pretty good. I'll miss you NCAA 09.

As far as the man-to-man thing goes...I'm taking back what I said. I'm playing USF @ UCF (me) and at halftime USF's Grothe is 16-16 passing. This is with 2 CBs, a FS and a SS with MCV ratings of 95, 86, 87 and 84 respectively...on default All-American. But, I don't control my guys so I guess the ratings only matter when I do so. *shrugs*

# 66 Sheik @ 08/09/08 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc72
You are seeing a placebo effect. The devs have said that the game does not respond to your play calling tendencies. It calls plays based on down and distance. Your pattern of play calling in no way influences the CPU according to the devs.

BTW, I would not recommend using man-to-man D if you are Army. :-)
Welp, that's all I needed to hear.
I'm done with my beta testing NCAA '09 Job, to hell with that..again...so disappointing.

# 67 The Chef @ 08/09/08 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
I'm getting that same feeling the more I play. Too bad too because the game is pretty good. I'll miss you NCAA 09.

As far as the man-to-man thing goes...I'm taking back what I said. I'm playing USF @ UCF (me) and at halftime USF's Grothe is 16-16 passing. This is with 2 CBs, a FS and a SS with MCV ratings of 95, 86, 87 and 84 respectively...on default All-American. But, I don't control my guys so I guess the ratings only matter when I do so. *shrugs*
Thats weird, I dont control my secondary at all unless its to line up on a TE when the LB's are blitzing, other then that the CPU does everything for me and Ive gotten very good results doing this. Sure, there are times where the CPU seems to go nuts, but thats happened once maybe in the last 20 games and that was Sanchez with USC when I was ahead early in the 3rd quarter, so atleast it wasnt some complete scrub.

# 68 Sheik @ 08/09/08 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
Thats weird, I dont control my secondary at all unless its to line up on a TE when the LB's are blitzing, other then that the CPU does everything for me and Ive gotten very good results doing this. Sure, there are times where the CPU seems to go nuts, but thats happened once maybe in the last 20 games and that was Sanchez with USC when I was ahead early in the 3rd quarter, so atleast it wasnt some complete scrub.
Well, I tried to man to man coverage thing....
after I first read about it.

First game, outstanding. My defense played up to what I had expected and recruited.
Second game, more of the same.
Third game...

Utah St. cut me up to the tune of 433 yards with a Redshirt Sophomore QB with an 82 rating.
It's no so much the end result, it's the point that you just CAN'T stop the CPU at times. There's no fix. My corners are rated 89 & 83 respectively, my safeties are 89 and 83
I have two impact players are linebacker at 91 and 89 and my line averages 85 across the front. I EXPECT a good stout defense that can cover the field. What I get

is Utah State shredding me with a Sophomore Quarterback and NO receivers rated higher than 78.

Just doesn't make sense.

10 min quarters on AA, and I HAD previously been getting very normal stats..

# 69 The Chef @ 08/09/08 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
Well, I tried to man to man coverage thing....
after I first read about it.

First game, outstanding. My defense played up to what I had expected and recruited.
Second game, more of the same.
Third game...

Utah St. cut me up to the tune of 433 yards with a Redshirt Sophomore QB with an 82 rating.
It's no so much the end result, it's the point that you just CAN'T stop the CPU at times. There's no fix. My corners are rated 89 & 83 respectively, my safeties are 89 and 83
I have two impact players are linebacker at 91 and 89 and my line averages 85 across the front. I EXPECT a good stout defense that can cover the field. What I get

is Utah State shredding me with a Sophomore Quarterback and NO receivers rated higher than 78.

Just doesn't make sense.

10 min quarters on AA, and I HAD previously been getting very normal stats..
Thats unfortunate but I wouldnt throw in the towel just yet, maybe you just had one of those "what the ****" type of games and it will get back to what you were seeing previously. This game can be VERY frustrating at times, and in a lot of ways Im starting to find that I have to force myself to play instead of wanting to play like it has been in years past.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.