Home
Madden 09 News Post

Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 blklightning @ 08/06/08 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Love the ideas in the DLC... hoping it's free, though.
dude, there is nothing in that list that we should have to pay for.

# 42 SeventhWard @ 08/06/08 02:13 AM
Thanks, Mr. Phil. Great response. Look at how excited these guys are. Way to go, Madden Team.

((Cough)) Fix the PS3 Instant Replays while you're at it and you're on fire! ((Cough, cough))

This commitment to the hardcore gamers is really great to see.

Good form, EA.

# 43 blklightning @ 08/06/08 02:14 AM
they can't; apparently the ps3 is a piece of ****. lol.

btw, i am a ps3 owner, so don't think i'm trying to start something.

# 44 Spanky @ 08/06/08 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
hang on, is this dlc going to be something we have to pay for? everything else was listed as being part of a patch, but that last stuff was categorized as dlc. i would laugh if we were charged for cpu sliders and alternate controller configurations. c'mon, phil, say it ain't so. lol.
After the massive uproar that was created when it was revealed CPU sliders were removed, do you really think they would pull off the PR blunder of the decade by charging for game fixes?

# 45 Kramer5150 @ 08/06/08 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
hang on, is this dlc going to be something we have to pay for? everything else was listed as being part of a patch, but that last stuff was categorized as dlc. i would laugh if we were charged for cpu sliders and alternate controller configurations. c'mon, phil, say it ain't so. lol.

Uh....did you even bother to read Phil's post? If you had,then you would've seen this.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillycheze
We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

# 46 stoncold32 @ 08/06/08 03:21 AM
Will we see any of these issues corrected on NCAA via another patch?

While we appreciate all of what you're doing for Madden, it doesn't do me well to know I have a nearly unplayable game in NCAA due to many of the same issues you are correcting in Madden.

# 47 Rawdeal28 @ 08/06/08 03:59 AM
in the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin..........

OH HELL YEAH!!!

# 48 SteelerSpartan @ 08/06/08 04:05 AM
Well reading this has been a huge relief to me......I was this close
to having canceled my pre-order....but thought Id wait and see what you guys had to say this week about our concerns.

Please get the CPU Sliders/Field Degradation in there.

Im happy that our communication here is only bearing more fruits and hopefully your team is now the more stronger for having walked through the fires of these great forums.

As Coach T said last and this year during training camp....."We got to break the body down so we can build it back up"

I hope we can continue to employ that mentality together and take Madden to that Next Level

# 49 SoxFan01605 @ 08/06/08 04:10 AM
Very good news...especially if you can pull off the timeframe as well

# 50 Anti Honor @ 08/06/08 05:36 AM
If you can somehow manage to add CPU sliders in the game - You made my gaming year, especially with the upcoming NCAA patch.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

# 51 JMD @ 08/06/08 06:21 AM
This is indeed excellent news. Props to Phil , Ian, and all others working on these fixes.

PS: Yesterday I changed my preorder from just the Madden 09 game to the collectors edition with Head coach as well. 5 days away!

# 52 texbuk84 @ 08/06/08 06:23 AM
great news.

# 53 JMD @ 08/06/08 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysworld26
I'm not knocking you guys, but who do you have test these games? That should have definitely been noticed before going gold.
Beat that dead horse.

# 54 JMD @ 08/06/08 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Im also hearing some very noticible CPU ball carrier's running out of bounce way too often when there is much much room to run up field instead.

Its very noticible from what i've heard at various places on the net..Neogaf and a few podcasts.

THE DLC is a VERY VERY GOOD way to get out some added tweaks and stuff. I was on the verge last night aftrer i had typed out a rather large post that suggested this exact same idea of mine for you madden dev's to looking into.. the DLC as option for additional tweaks and options to the gamer...nice nice move guys.

Again, the CPU running out of bounce with lots of spare room up field to run sorta has me worried, plz look into this, thx

PS..anything on the muddy fields?..EDIT>>NM I missed it in the initial post
Dude did you read Phil's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillycheze

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)

# 55 JMD @ 08/06/08 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Love the ideas in the DLC... hoping it's free, though.

# 56 PES3Paul @ 08/06/08 07:07 AM
LMAO...the game's not even out yet and there are two patches in the bullpen.

Wait...

:|

# 57 NZ Buccaneer @ 08/06/08 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Madden only used to be released here in Australia until mid September anyway, so I guess the wait isn't so bad.
I remember those days - spending the first 3 or 4 hours going through and renaming all the unsigned rookies when I got madden on its NZ release

# 58 J-Unit40 @ 08/06/08 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razcan
I am an NCAA guy. Just stopping in to say wow, thats some dedication. Good job.
What he said. Great job getting involved with OS Community and making improvements to '09. You just solidified a purchase from me. I'm looking forward to playing both games now this year.

Thanks again!

# 59 countryboy @ 08/06/08 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
Will we see any of these issues corrected on NCAA via another patch?

While we appreciate all of what you're doing for Madden, it doesn't do me well to know I have a nearly unplayable game in NCAA due to many of the same issues you are correcting in Madden.
please keep NCAA patch talk in the NCAA forums. There are now 2 guys over there answering questions. No need to bring up NCAA in here.

# 60 callmetaternuts @ 08/06/08 08:07 AM
Phil (and Ian). Thanks for the info. That is some really good news about both patch 1 and the possibility of DLC and patch 2. While we all would rather have the game come out clean, we can understand that need for tuning after release. Having not actually played the game, i'd say that is a pretty comprehensive list. The biggest features being the CPU sliders and ghost juking. Thanks for your continued effort.

Just to clarify, the possible DLC and patch 2, are those two separate things? I think September is definitely feasible and acceptable. Looking forward to the game. Thanks again

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.