Home
Madden 09 News Post

Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Kramer5150 @ 08/07/08 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
I'm sorry but companies are not going to press\replicate update CD's for all their customers each time the game gets a patch or update after release. If you are not able to get a broadband internet connection in this day and age you are going to be missing out on ALOT and not just updates and patches in games. The entire internet is currently built around braodband speeds, good luck even surfing the werb nowadays on dial up. The rest of us should not be punished because of that.

The reality is a yearly series like Madden is NEVER going to launch in perfect condition. Facing that reality it is a much much better option to be able to patch and update the game automatically in a download then to have to wait till next year for them to fix the issue.

Sorry if you can't get broadband your SOL on this issue.
Where did I ever say anything about pressing update cd's??
Punished...lol wow ,that's a good one. I am able to currently surf the web AND get updates through dialup.
I am able to afford highspeed just fine,but staying with relatives until our house is finished,it's not an option,and I sure as hell ain't getting satellite internet just for game updates and patches.
As for your last point.....NO,I'm not sol. Like I mentioned earlier,I'm able to surf the web AND get updates and patches on dialup.
The only thing I can't do (which I couldn't care less about) is play other people. When I had highspeed I hardly played online anyways...so no loss there.

# 142 advisory @ 08/07/08 03:19 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry but companies are not going to press\replicate update CD's for all their customers each time the game gets a patch or update after release. If you are not able to get a broadband internet connection in this day and age you are going to be missing out on ALOT and not just updates and patches in games. The entire internet is currently built around broadband speeds, good luck even surfing the web nowadays on dial up. The rest of us should not be punished because of that some people are unable to obtain broadband.

The reality is a yearly series like Madden is NEVER going to launch in perfect condition. Facing that reality it is a much much better option to be able to patch and update the game automatically in a download then to have to wait till next year for them to fix the issue.

Sorry if you can't get broadband your SOL on this issue.
Swanlee, by your reasoning, if EA decided to take out the edit player feature for everyone except those that bought a messenger kit, you'd be fine with that? Simply because if you have the capability to pay for a next gen console and a game, you should be able to pay for a messenger kit? Currently, they allow a way around that. Just like they (microsoft) have a way around playing DVD's on your system without having to buy a remote. Or what about not being able to hook it up with your internet connection unless you buy a wireless adaptor?

Don't say it doesn't compare, because it does. These games should be fixed before they're ever sent out. I don't see how that would "punish" anybody else.

When I bought a 360, I could afford a lot of things. Right now, I can't afford a gold membership. Which was fine with me because I never played online anyway because of all the cheesers, trust me, I tried to get used to it but everyone out there ruined it for me. And even when I could afford it, and was willing to deal with the cheesers, I STILL didn't want to take the time out of my day to have to go through the process of wiring my console to the router, setting up an account, dealing with any troubleshooting problems. Some of us don't have that kind of time when we're at home, not everyone is laying low for the summer. Some of us barely get a chance to play as it is, so when we get that chance, we don't want anything hindering our ability to play.

On that note, I've got a perfect example for you. I was playing franchise mode in Madden 08. I was going through drills to improve my rookie's ratings before each game. This was a big part of the fun factor for me. Then, it screws up and freezes every time I wanted to train a player before a game. I didn't want to continue playing my franchise without being able to do that, yet the few times I was able to sit down and enjoy the game I didn't feel like spending that time to hook it up with our internet connection, set up a silver membership, deal with any set up issues, find out what the pppoe information was, etc etc etc. I just wanted to play!!! But unfortuneately, the game wasn't fixed without a patch so I wasn't able to.

# 143 Hammer67 @ 08/07/08 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by advisory
When I bought a 360, I could afford a lot of things. Right now, I can't afford a gold membership.
Sorry bud, have to ask....if you can't afford $49.99 a year (which equates to $4.16 a month) then why are you buying a $60 game?

That aside...every game ever released has issues and things that can be patched...why do people act as if this is a new phenomenon every year? Game programming is not an exact science.

Also, technology and time marches on...at some point, industry has to stop supporting legacy and older techs. Internet access is there for a huge chunk of the gaming community...they go hand in hand, in fact. So, why shouldn't the gaming companies utilize what they have with extras like DLC and patches?

# 144 swanlee @ 08/07/08 05:28 PM
Quote:
Swanlee, by your reasoning, if EA decided to take out the edit player feature for everyone except those that bought a messenger kit, you'd be fine with that? Simply because if you have the capability to pay for a next gen console and a game, you should be able to pay for a messenger kit? Currently, they allow a way around that. Just like they (microsoft) have a way around playing DVD's on your system without having to buy a remote. Or what about not being able to hook it up with your internet connection unless you buy a wireless adaptor?

Don't say it doesn't compare, because it does. These games should be fixed before they're ever sent out. I don't see how that would "punish" anybody else.

When I bought a 360, I could afford a lot of things. Right now, I can't afford a gold membership. Which was fine with me because I never played online anyway because of all the cheesers, trust me, I tried to get used to it but everyone out there ruined it for me. And even when I could afford it, and was willing to deal with the cheesers, I STILL didn't want to take the time out of my day to have to go through the process of wiring my console to the router, setting up an account, dealing with any troubleshooting problems. Some of us don't have that kind of time when we're at home, not everyone is laying low for the summer. Some of us barely get a chance to play as it is, so when we get that chance, we don't want anything hindering our ability to play.

Uhh you can download patches and DLC content with a free silver xbox live account. And if you don't want to wire up your 360 to be on the net then that is just to bad for you.

All I'm hearing is hypothetical excuses for people that either don't have internet or people to lazy to create a silver live account and get there xbox 360 on the net.

For those people you are SOL, Microsoft, Sony and game publishers now have an easy in-expensive automatic way to get it's user game patches and DLC pretty much instantly.

In my mind this is a good thing.

I was a pc gamer even before the internet hit big in the late 80's early 90's. Even back then games often shipped with ciritcal bugs and issues and it was damn near impossible to get fixes for those games.

We are lucky to be able to get fixes now so count your blessings and stop making excuses as to why you somehow can't get your console online.

# 145 countryboy @ 08/07/08 05:31 PM
guys knock off the debate about high speed internet and where its accessible. This isnt' the thread for it.

# 146 SoxFan01605 @ 08/07/08 05:33 PM
lol...this thread has driven into an interesting debate. I'll leave the point/counterpoint alone except to say this...It is all moot. It is cheaper, more convenient, and more efficient for EA (and any other company) to allow for patches/updates via internet. Now back to the debate...

# 147 lamoyou401 @ 08/07/08 05:34 PM
well this sucks i don't have xbox live

# 148 SoxFan01605 @ 08/07/08 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
guys knock off the debate about high speed internet and where its accessible. This isnt' the thread for it.
D*mn...always one step ahead of me. While I post (obviously a sloooow typist), you moderate. I've got my eye on you Kermit...lol

# 149 slpnsld23 @ 08/07/08 08:45 PM
Entering this thread, I thought "Oh No...". I thought that you guys on the forum had found some problems and they were addressing them after release. But thats not the case. Nothing major seems to be wrong as in NCAA, and you guys are just fixing minor things. Thanks!

# 150 advisory @ 08/07/08 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer67
Sorry bud, have to ask....if you can't afford $49.99 a year (which equates to $4.16 a month) then why are you buying a $60 game?

That aside...every game ever released has issues and things that can be patched...why do people act as if this is a new phenomenon every year? Game programming is not an exact science.

Also, technology and time marches on...at some point, industry has to stop supporting legacy and older techs. Internet access is there for a huge chunk of the gaming community...they go hand in hand, in fact. So, why shouldn't the gaming companies utilize what they have with extras like DLC and patches?
The problem isn't "affording it", the problem is that it shouldn't be relied on as much as it is. A few have said that this happens all the time in gaming, well sorry, but I don't remember buying football games that wouldn't let me play/train my players unless I had a patch for it. Whoever thinks that games have always had problems like this hasn't been playing video games that long.

The problem is that they're relying on these patches too much. And the games aren't even THAT GREAT to begin with, when you consider where they probably should be by now in next gen.

In one hand, it's nice having the little things getting fixed. Like your rookies turning 26 when you edit them, that's the little kind of thing that used to happen in the past that we can get fixed now if we so choose. But we shouldn't have to rely on patches to play a game that we pay for. We shouldn't have to pay extra beyond the game to be able to play that game. We shouldn't even have to take the extra time to do extra work to get the patches to be able to play the game. We should be able to PLAY THE GAME.

And anybody who thinks that we're "SOL" as swanlee would put it, is wrong. I shouldn't HAVE to hook up my console to the net. I shouldn't HAVE to pay for anything extra to play the game. It should JUST WORK. As it's supposed to. I don't see how that's so hard for people to understand.

# 151 swanlee @ 08/08/08 12:05 AM
Quote:
The problem isn't "affording it", the problem is that it shouldn't be relied on as much as it is. A few have said that this happens all the time in gaming, well sorry, but I don't remember buying football games that wouldn't let me play/train my players unless I had a patch for it. Whoever thinks that games have always had problems like this hasn't been playing video games that long.

The problem is that they're relying on these patches too much. And the games aren't even THAT GREAT to begin with, when you consider where they probably should be by now in next gen.

In one hand, it's nice having the little things getting fixed. Like your rookies turning 26 when you edit them, that's the little kind of thing that used to happen in the past that we can get fixed now if we so choose. But we shouldn't have to rely on patches to play a game that we pay for. We shouldn't have to pay extra beyond the game to be able to play that game. We shouldn't even have to take the extra time to do extra work to get the patches to be able to play the game. We should be able to PLAY THE GAME.

And anybody who thinks that we're "SOL" as swanlee would put it, is wrong. I shouldn't HAVE to hook up my console to the net. I shouldn't HAVE to pay for anything extra to play the game. It should JUST WORK. As it's supposed to. I don't see how that's so hard for people to understand.

You are living in a fantasy dream world that has NEVER existed. Lets go back in time to time to 1996 a nice little RPG game called Daggerfall came out with so many major bugs it could barely be completed. One wrong move in that game meant 40 hrs later you would be stuck. Do you know how much of a pain in the butt it was to get a disc from bethesda to have that game patched?

Be thankfull we have broadband and hardrvies on our consoles and devs have the ability to patch games after they hit the shevles.

This is a good thing.

# 152 True Talent @ 08/08/08 12:46 AM
Great news for both patches and hopefully the DLC. I guess I can keep my Madden disc from the CE and hang on to it until the patches are released and just enjoy Head Coach until then.

# 153 therizing02 @ 08/08/08 12:50 AM
Wow. I'm buying the game now.

Filly cheeeez filly cheeeeeeeze! Nice work man! Thanks for the update.

It seems that by October we'll have 3 pretty good football titles.

# 154 DubTrey1 @ 08/08/08 01:58 AM
This news is helping me make a move to actually buy the game this year....

# 155 ramspeedkill @ 08/08/08 02:12 AM
do you need gold membership to download roster?

# 156 DrUrsus @ 08/08/08 02:55 AM
I just read this. Man, the DLC is just what the Doctor ordered. I have missed the accelerated clock and man was I upset there were no CPU sliders this year, until now.

I take back all the nasty things I said and thought about you guys

Seriously, thank you.

# 157 advisory @ 08/08/08 04:14 AM
Quote:
You are living in a fantasy dream world that has NEVER existed. Lets go back in time to time to 1996 a nice little RPG game called Daggerfall came out with so many major bugs it could barely be completed. One wrong move in that game meant 40 hrs later you would be stuck. Do you know how much of a pain in the butt it was to get a disc from bethesda to have that game patched?

Be thankfull we have broadband and hardrvies on our consoles and devs have the ability to patch games after they hit the shevles.

This is a good thing.
I wish I could say it was a good thing. But from what I've seen, the quality of the product has diminished ever since this became an option.

# 158 mastershake88 @ 08/08/08 07:32 AM
UNIFORM PATCH!

# 159 kongemeier @ 08/08/08 09:06 AM
DLC: Accelerated clock.

THIS would be nice! I really miss this feature.

# 160 CochranBud @ 08/08/08 09:47 AM
Guys, I didn't see any info pertaining to this, so I thought I'd ask. Is the patch solely for the 360 and PS3 platforms or will there also be a patch for the Wii? I haven't decided which one to get (Wii or 360) as the kiddos are asking for the Wii, but I usually buy sports games for the 360.

Thanks!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.