Home
Madden 09 News Post

Have you played Madden NFL 09's Superstar Mode yet? If not, consider yourself one of the lucky ones that hasn't had to endure the pain just yet, at least according to Wil McCombs. McCombs examines the mode in his article, Madden Superstar Mode an Exercise in Awful.

Quote:
"Perhaps I’m both a sadist and a masochist. Is there really any other explanation?

Every year, I devote just a little bit of time to Madden’s Superstar mode. Not because I really think that I will enjoy it. No sir. I do it simply, because it is so brutal. But why, you ask, do I immerse myself in this agony, even for a moment? I have a two-part answer."

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kblu54 @ 08/19/08 12:23 PM
Absolutely right... Complete waste of hard drive space

# 2 DocHolliday @ 08/19/08 12:28 PM
I havent tried it yet because I heard its gonna e awful and they didnt work on it.

Its a shame because its a great idea that would be awesome if executed properly.

# 3 rellix1 @ 08/19/08 12:45 PM
They didn't change it one bit between 07, 08 and 09.

It's terribly boring, and only bearable if you somehow create a stellar athlete from the get go - that way you are having amazing games. The only position I've found tolerable are RB and (sometimes) QB, but even that's a pain.

# 4 rellix1 @ 08/19/08 12:45 PM
Forgot to mention: if you do create a stellar athlete, which again is the only way to enjoy your play - well, you're going to be in the hall of fame within 2 years because your player is so good.

mmm realism.

# 5 JBH3 @ 08/19/08 01:22 PM
I'm with you...!

Superstar is a freaking joke. It's the most mundane experience. Your right I would rather run face first into a brick wall...At least I would get a cool "numbing" feeling.

# 6 walliworld @ 08/19/08 01:34 PM
I totally agree, they could spend time on Presentation and better gameplay. It's a great idea, but it needs so much work which they obviously don't care about.

I think they put alot of Quantity and not Quality into their games.

# 7 Heshi @ 08/19/08 02:12 PM
The idea is great and I'd really like a good game of First Person Football... MLB's RTTS mode is boring as well and I play it over and over... even gave NCAA's Campus Legend a shot. I do agree that Madden's not doing it right.

Who remembers the great "Libero Grande"?

# 8 thejake @ 08/19/08 02:19 PM
I had a lot of fun in ncaa campus legend this year as a RB. I can't get into madden's though. I never have been able to get a decent 40 time either on that stupid mini game so my 99 rated overall player from ncaa got drafted in the 3rd round.

# 9 adembroski @ 08/19/08 02:27 PM
Can't argue with you. I think it has potential as an idea, and one must give credit to Madden for the idea, but like so many other modes, it was created then left to collect dust. It needs a serious overhaul if it's ever to be worth it's disk space.

# 10 DubTrey1 @ 08/19/08 02:55 PM
Had potential, now - it's just another "feature" to stamp on the back of the box. Trash it a like you did the Madden Cards EA and focus on the field and gameplay.

# 11 BSanders @ 08/19/08 03:04 PM
They need to improve on the mode but I enjoy Campus Legend and love playing RTTS, I think it comes down to what you want.... Franchise mode gives you the option to run everything if don't enjoy sitting out plays or controlling one player. I do agree with some points you made and in my opinion Superstar mode needs to be more like NCAA or RTTS..

# 12 mmceld1 @ 08/19/08 03:11 PM
I found out you can change the play in practice mode by pressing timeout before the snap. It still doesnt help its case though

# 13 asu666 @ 08/19/08 03:43 PM
Tiburon needs to go back and study NFL 2K5 and the Owner Mode in MLB 08: The Show. Mix those two things together and most people will finally stop complaining about how Madden is almost a total waste of the NFL and ESPN licenses.

# 14 LingeringRegime @ 08/19/08 05:13 PM
Yeah, they should scrap this feature and really blow up the presentation. Full blown pre-game, halftime, post game analysis. Plus a weekly Sportscenter, or NFL Network type of show. Just copy 2K, EA, and you will make us happy.

# 15 briax87 @ 08/19/08 06:49 PM
I haven't played the 09 version of superstar mode yet, but all of what you said is true for last years version too. Nothing beats making the hall of fame in your second year as a pro...

# 16 thescoop @ 08/19/08 08:40 PM
Superstar Mode needs to go.....I'm with you. It is sad that year in and year out people say this and for three years running EA keeps putting this in. I'd rather see classic teams, better presentation, more ESPN interface (I mean why did you get a contract with them since you NEVER use ESPN in your games??????), a weekly recap show, all these things would be better in the game than this waste of space that is Superstar mode.

Great article. Too bad it will fall on deaf ears at EA.

# 17 ChubbyBanana @ 08/19/08 08:49 PM

I can't stand this game mode, and honestly haven't stepped foot into it since 07.

If they haven't changed it, why waste my time.

# 18 Tengo Juego @ 08/19/08 09:03 PM
I'm with you...

And really made my day. Very entertaining read lol.

# 19 teebee @ 08/20/08 12:56 AM
I must say i'm enjoying the ncaa version of campus legend, is that anything like this?

# 20 Shadymamba @ 08/20/08 11:29 AM
They should of made it like '06....the reason to me '07,'08,'09 stinks is that damn camera angle...there is no freakin way you can control a DB let alone cover a TE as a linebacker with the camera angle the way it is...go back to '06 when the same angle you play a regular game is the way you play franchise..i had so much fun that year even got a big contract deal and played 4 seasons but they changed it to be more real..and totally messed it up...i havent even started on the damn training camp..40yd dash and stuff but im with you bro..it does stink.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.