Home
News Post

2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now
Available for Download on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace

Xbox 360® gamers to receive an early opportunity to preview highly anticipated hockey title

August 21, 2008 – While dedicated hockey fans eagerly anticipate the first puck to drop for the start of this year’s NHL season, 2K Sports today announced that a free demo of NHL 2K9 is now available for download on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The demo will provide fans an early chance to experience the new simplified controls and relive the excitement of this past season’s thrilling Stanley Cup™ Final for a brief three minute period as either the Pittsburgh Penguins or Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

NHL 2K9, developed by Visual Concepts, brings the fun back to hockey video games with all-new features including user-friendly controls, an exciting Zamboni® mini-game, playoff beards, a revamped fighting engine and much more exciting action than ever before. Complete with fresh new in-game commentary, improved franchise mode, and upgraded online features, NHL 2K9 is rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and older by the ESRB, and will be available on September 9 for Xbox 360, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. For more information about NHL 2K9, please visit www.2ksports.com/games/nhl2k9.

NHL 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K9Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
NHL 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Klocker @ 08/22/08 01:02 PM
agreed on the sound... amazing.... i also love the little camera shake when there is a big hit.. sweet.

the fun is definitely back in the game without it feeling arcade. I think this reminds me of an old school game in just the feel they were going for... I like it.

As for the graphics... i did notice that the brightness had to be turned WAY down on my tv from all my other games... try that or a different picture setting and you will see a LOT more details in the models (shadowing that gives more depth than the past games)

I would hope that's just an anomaly of the demo or that there would be gamma sliders in the game but that's not likely given 2ks history of not providing rendering options.

# 22 buzzguy @ 08/22/08 01:55 PM
Decent demo, and I definitely want to play more. Thumbs-up, 2K!

# 23 Money99 @ 08/22/08 04:14 PM
I agree with almost all of the comments on the demo.
The game has improved from 2K8 and I enjoy the new control scheme.

The only thing preventing me from buying it outright is the Offensive AI.
IMO, this has been an issue since Kush took over. I hope sliders and/or corrections to the final build can correct this.

# 24 CarryTheWeight @ 08/22/08 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
the fun is definitely back in the game without it feeling arcade. I think this reminds me of an old school game in just the feel they were going for... I like it.
Exactly. Like I said, it has this "NHL Hitz Pro" feel to it. If 2K9 is ANYTHING like that game was, I'll be VERY pleased.

# 25 ucas005 @ 08/23/08 11:05 AM
Not bad, not great. I still have issues with the gameplay and skill stick. Graphics look a little goofy as well. I think I'll probably end up sticking with the EA series again this year.

# 26 MizzouRah @ 08/23/08 12:29 PM
Only 17 days....

# 27 tj1182 @ 08/24/08 12:02 AM
I'm playing the demo now. I don't like it at all.

Controls seem a little stiff.

Player animations are not great.

Graphics are ok. Not great.

They over do it on the replays, just like in Baseball.

I'll pass on this one.

# 28 savoie2006 @ 08/24/08 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
The more I play, the less I'm sure I want to buy it.

The controls feel really sluggish to me, and I'm not sure that I can deal with it. Players seem to have a little delay before reacting to any button pushes, almost as if I'm playing an online game, and I'm kind of having a hard time getting over that.
Yeah,the 2KHockey series has had this issue for as long as I can remember. It does make things a bit frustrating,especially combined with how aggressively the Cpu pursues the puck.

# 29 TDKing @ 08/24/08 09:07 AM
My opinion on the Demo, I hate it. They ruined a good game. If you like it good for you but it went from a sure buy to a no purchase for me. What a waste of a great online league set up. Oh well I'll have more time now for FIFA.

# 30 Eddie1967 @ 08/24/08 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
It wouldn't be so bad if the actual pro stick dekes were controlable and not all just canned predetermined animations. Theres no controlable toe drags or anything of the like like in 08/09. I gave it a few more goes tonight and hell I was having issues even trying to fake slapshots due to the sluggishness of the controls themselves and the ai still being a tad more aggresive than they prolly should be. Its true that in real life they go after the puck carrier, but more often than not its stick on stick or stick on puck and not trying to crush the guy, 2k9 still does this too much imo.

I still think its a good start and a decent reboot of the series, the're not there yet imo though.
Not true at all. I think the controls are great. I'm having no problem doing slap shots and there is no sluggishness to the controls. The checking in this game is much more toned down compared to last year. It's a great start for a rebuilt game. VC has done a marvelous job in it's first year with the series. I think it's safe to say that 2k9 is a tremendous step up for what was already the best simulation hockey game out there. It's simply brilliant.

# 31 Eddie1967 @ 08/24/08 11:22 AM
The presentation has also improved, the announcers do a great job of accurately following the action on the ice and the sounds of the crowd and other aspects of the presentation are second to none. EA's isn't bad but there announcing team is getting a bit stale IMO and they don't really give you enough to keep you interested in the action on the ice. I'm not sure we have seen as big a jump in a series in just one year like 2k is having this year.

# 32 Flyermania @ 08/24/08 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
The presentation has also improved, the announcers do a great job of accurately following the action on the ice and the sounds of the crowd and other aspects of the presentation are second to none. EA's isn't bad but there announcing team is getting a bit stale IMO and they don't really give you enough to keep you interested in the action on the ice. I'm not sure we have seen as big a jump in a series in just one year like 2k is having this year.
The presentation has definitely taken a huge positive stride with 2k9 --- the pre-game intros are totally cool. I do like the announcers better than Cole & Neale, but they still sound a bit wooden and rehearsed to me -- like they are reading from a script and lacking enthusiasm. But this could be due to the fact that it is their first year...I love Thorne and Clement, but they were a bit bland on 2k4 (but they were much imporoved in 2k5).

Being a Thorne and Clement fan, I disagree with your comment on them getting stale and not giving info. I pay close attnetion to their commentary as they definitely point out what is working and what isn't.

# 33 Eddie1967 @ 08/24/08 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
If he is showing his 2k colors, than I guess you are showing your EA colors. You are so oblivious you come in here and say some good things about 2k and then you rip them a new one. Give it up already. I am glad you like EA's it is a great game. I love it too, but your agenda is getting old.
Great response Scott. I like what EA is doing with 09 especially since I didn't get into 08. It looks great, I swear when i watched that video of the shootout and the skater shakes his head and his helmet adjust made me go wow. EA already had a brilliant looking game, and now I'm just waiting to play the game to see if they added all of the little things that make it a complete hockey game. From what I have seen they both look great and play great.

# 34 Eddie1967 @ 08/24/08 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
The presentation has definitely taken a huge positive stride with 2k9 --- the pre-game intros are totally cool. I do like the announcers better than Cole & Neale, but they still sound a bit wooden and rehearsed to me -- like they are reading from a script and lacking enthusiasm. But this could be due to the fact that it is their first year...I love Thorne and Clement, but they were a bit bland on 2k4 (but they were much imporoved in 2k5).

Being a Thorne and Clement fan, I disagree with your comment on them getting stale and not giving info. I pay close attnetion to their commentary as they definitely point out what is working and what isn't.
oops, I didn't mean that Thorne and Clement don't follow the action well, they do an excellent job of keeping up with the action and they sound great. Just meant stale as in getting old. But yeah they do a great job.

# 35 Eddie1967 @ 08/24/08 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I was blown away with that too. It was so real looking. I like what EA is doing and it will be fun having 2 great games. Even though I have a feeling I will be playing 2k more. I am pumped for both games.
Yeah I will probably be spending more time with 2k9 myself. This is the first year that I have considered buying two different game of one sport.

# 36 MizzouRah @ 08/24/08 07:41 PM
I'm in the "both games" camp as well. I'll have 2k two days before NHL 09 to get a feel for that game first.

You know, I did this with Madden 2005 and NFL 2k5 as well. Played two identical solo franchises on two different games.. then compared them week to week.

After about week 7, NFL 2k5 took over my football life and I returned Madden.

# 37 dubeau @ 08/25/08 08:08 AM
I always had a grip on hockey games, because of their lack of realism, especially with shot counts, pass interception and free skating. In fact it's been at least 5 years since I bought a NHL game. I tried them all tho...

That demo was interesting. I didn't catch the lineup changes, got a hard time with it...but I like the bumping factor. Not sure about the skating. I will rent it...maybe the sliders will help in the full game. Promising. Since I expect the same arcade crap from EA's NHL, maybe 2K9 will be able to answer with something different. Will see...

# 38 Kane182 @ 08/25/08 08:52 AM
The demo was better than I thought it would be, but the game just doesn't seem all that fun. The controls are super-sluggish. I wind up for a slapshot and there is a good 2-3 second delay before my player even begins his wind up.

It's only a demo though, so when the full game releases and impressions/reviews are out I may give it a shot.

PS. I have no real allegiance to EA or 2K. I played EAs game from the early 90s to early 2000s and I played 2K hockey up until last year. I usually just play which game I think plays better. Doesn't have to be super-realistic to me. (I mean I need some realism, not a checking fest or anything like that) It just has to be fun.

# 39 Eddie1967 @ 08/25/08 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Eh, when EA does things wrong I call them on it as well. If you read Eddie's impressions theres not so much as one con, with a glowing the king is back phrase tossed in here and there for good measure. If thats not fanboish I'm not sure what is.
Well that's because I think 2k9 is brilliant. So now I'm supposed to have a con. Realm what you don't seem to realize is that this is the 2k section of OS. I am allowed to be positive about a game that I like especially when I'm talking about it in the 2k HOCKEY FORUM! If you read my post even in the EA forums you will see mostly positive from me regarding 09. Unlike yourself I don't have a hatred for either company. Just because you seem to love repeating negatives about 2k over and over again doesn't mean I have to do the same. You have said so many times the things you don't like about 2k9, we all get it, you don't like it, it's in your game fly whatever, blah blah blah. You seem to hate that I say positive things about 2k9. Why? If you hate it, then hate, but if I like it, it shouldn't matter so much to you that you start trolling the 2k hockey forums. The king is back and that's 2k9. You don't agree with that statement? well that's too bad because it's my OPINION. Yes I like all of 2k's games, oh the shame. No amount of mindless negativity is going to change my mind about what I like. Please just move on and the 2k hockey forums will be much nicer.

# 40 Eddie1967 @ 08/25/08 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon
Why do you go after everybody, let him have his say. You don't have to pick on the person just cause you don't agree with what he says. You did this with me and I am older then your daddy, get over it buddy getting old. At least to me it is.
LOL!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.