Home
News Post

2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now
Available for Download on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace

Xbox 360® gamers to receive an early opportunity to preview highly anticipated hockey title

August 21, 2008 – While dedicated hockey fans eagerly anticipate the first puck to drop for the start of this year’s NHL season, 2K Sports today announced that a free demo of NHL 2K9 is now available for download on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The demo will provide fans an early chance to experience the new simplified controls and relive the excitement of this past season’s thrilling Stanley Cup™ Final for a brief three minute period as either the Pittsburgh Penguins or Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

NHL 2K9, developed by Visual Concepts, brings the fun back to hockey video games with all-new features including user-friendly controls, an exciting Zamboni® mini-game, playoff beards, a revamped fighting engine and much more exciting action than ever before. Complete with fresh new in-game commentary, improved franchise mode, and upgraded online features, NHL 2K9 is rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and older by the ESRB, and will be available on September 9 for Xbox 360, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. For more information about NHL 2K9, please visit www.2ksports.com/games/nhl2k9.

NHL 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K9Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
NHL 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/08 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
No I hate the this game is the bestest hockey game ever!11eleventy11!! line you tow. Aparently you didn't see the pro's list in my post and as usual jump all over anyone who isn't enamoured with it as you are. I'm glad you're excited for it. Its much improved, and I'm happy it is but its far from the best ever. Really though reading your thoughts on MLB2k8 a while back was what clinched the idea that you have a raging hardon for 2k in my mind anyway. You're entitled to your opinion, I don't think anyone said differently, its just difficult to debate pros and cons of a title with someone who thinks its the best thing since sliced bread regardless of its flaws.
I just don't care to point out a bunch of flaws unless it's going to stop me from enjoying the game. I have yet to find any major flaws in a 2k game that would make me feel otherwise. I loved NBA 2K8 and MLB 2K8 and I have for the past 2 titles. Yes they both have flaws but again nothing major for me to point out or be concerned with. I don't understand people that do that constantly. I never experienced the franchise freezes, etc. The fact is that VC has did a brilliant job with just one year of working on 2k Hockey. And I can't imagine what they will do with the baseball series. I'm sure it will be as big a leap as 2k hockey had. Hell even NHL 09 looks improved and I hated 08, I just refuse to point out flaw after flaw. Now when it comes to head to head comparisons, that's when i will get into a debate with anyone because I know which game I prefer and which one truly represents the sport of hockey. Just my opinion that's all.

# 42 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/08 12:09 AM
Quote:
No I hate the this game is the bestest hockey game ever!11eleventy11!! line you tow. Aparently you didn't see the pro's list in my post and as usual jump all over anyone who isn't enamoured with it as you are. I'm glad you're excited for it. Its much improved, and I'm happy it is but its far from the best ever. Really though reading your thoughts on MLB2k8 a while back was what clinched the idea that you have a raging hardon for 2k in my mind anyway. You're entitled to your opinion, I don't think anyone said differently, its just difficult to debate pros and cons of a title with someone who thinks its the best thing since sliced bread regardless of its flaws.
I just don't care to point out a bunch of flaws unless it's going to stop me from enjoying the game. I have yet to find any major flaws in a 2k game that would make me feel otherwise. I don't care about numbers on the jersey's or goalie helmets, etc. I loved NBA 2K8 and MLB 2K8 and I have for the past 2 titles. Yes they both have flaws but again nothing major for me to point out or be concerned with. I never experienced the franchise freezes, etc. The fact is that VC has done a brilliant job with just one year of working on 2k Hockey. And I can't imagine what they will do with the baseball series. I'm sure it will be as big a leap as 2k hockey had. Hell even NHL 09 looks improved and I hated 08, I just refuse to point out flaw after flaw. Now when it comes to head to head comparisons of 2K8 and 08, that's when i will get into a debate with anyone because I know which game I prefer and which one truly represents the sport of hockey for me. And Let's be for real, the same hard on you say that I have for 2k is the same hard on you have for EA and that's fine with me. When both games drop, I'm sure our back and forth will continue.

# 43 Flyermania @ 08/26/08 07:07 AM
OT --- Eddie1967, you really like MLB2k8? Wow. Have you ever had a chance to play The Show?

# 44 Klocker @ 08/26/08 01:06 PM
The more i play this and the more I get used to the Hybrid controls the more i enjoy it. Playing defense is a challenge, the hits are solid but not as ridiculous as previous years but add to the fun. the skating isn't as well done as 08 but it is serviceable, the little details in the graphics, sound and interaction of players (animations, ice spray, shaking etc) becomes more evident the more you play. the have done a solid job of creating a fun atmosphere here for a casual fan like myself who enjoys video game hockey while making it feel reasonably realistic.

There is still a lot of depth to the controls but not overwhelming. i get a real old school hockey feel from it. the camera system is brilliant albeit a little too far away for my tastes. I really hope there are other camera options or adjustments that can be made.

the more I play it the more convinced I am to add it to my colection

# 45 MizzouRah @ 08/26/08 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
OT --- Eddie1967, you really like MLB2k8? Wow. Have you ever had a chance to play The Show?
Shoot MLB The Show on the psp was better than MLB 2k8. I'm a big 2k fan, but MLB 2k8 was HORRIBLE!

# 46 Mad 69 @ 08/26/08 04:44 PM
I thought the demo was dreadful. I'm no EA fanboy, but 2K is way behind EA in this game. It didn't feel all that different from NHL 2K6, I thought it was on par with EA NHL 05 to be honest. I don't care much for graphics, which are decent in this game, but gameplay is not even fun. I won't even give this game a rent, sticking with NHL '09...

# 47 ucas005 @ 08/26/08 05:23 PM
I'm in the same boat. The more I play the demo the more I dislike it. The gameplay is just to sluggish for me. Last year I bought NHL08 so maybe I'm a bit biased, but still I don't think this demo compares to that game. I'm still going to give each game a full rental and base my buying decision on the final release and not the demos. Either way I love that I have two options each year.

# 48 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/08 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Yes I did like 2k8 and no I didn't play the show. I heard great things about it, but I don't have a ps3. I didn't want to get one just for that game, but I know a lot of people have and seem to love it.

# 49 savoie2006 @ 08/26/08 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Yes I did like 2k8 and no I didn't play the show. I heard great things about it, but I don't have a ps3. I didn't want to get one just for that game, but I know a lot of people have and seem to love it.
No you get a PS3 for MGS,Gran Turismo,and Ratchet and Clank,plus the Show.Oh,and Blue Ray

# 50 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/08 06:20 PM
Quote:
Well some of us have experience the franchise freeze, 3 times in 2k4, once in 2k5, and once in 2k7, I didn't play enough of 2k8 though I'm sure if I had it would have shown its ugly head. I'm not sure why you're even on this forum if not to discuss the games and what can be better about them, I mean if every post was just going on and on about a title being the greatest thing ever this forum would prolly get pretty boring.

I guess myself, I just expect more out of something I pay 60 dollars for yearly, and 4 years in on more advanced systems, I expected 2k to be much further ahead graphically and presentation wise, while 2k9 does look to be majorly improved crowd wise, and pregame intro wise (that pre game match up overlay with the broadcast tv type announcer guy setting up the upcomming game is slick as hell I tell ya) I think I have a right to state my gripes in the hope that they get addressed. I mean its great they got rid of Cole and Neale, but you'd think they could have bothered to at least write a new play by play script for the new guys to record.

Again its perfectly fine that you love the game, theres nothing wrong with that, I love the NBA2k games myself, and quite honestly Prizefighter wasn't half bad either once you get past the sometimes questionable hit detection. But I think its far less about whos name is on the box, I mean look at how many years EA, with all their money and sucess put out a garbage hockey game? Now that their finally trying to compete and put out a quality title, some guys get so damn defensive about defending NHL2k, rather than discuss what could make NHL2k better in hopes that the devs get wind and pay attention.
I like the fact that EA is improving there hockey game. It works out for fans of both games and I would love to have a reason to own both. Glad you admitted that EA tanked their hockey game for a few years (lol) There is nothing wrong with you stating your gripes but if you can cut EA some slack for putting out a whack game for 3 years than surely you can do the same for 2k not having everything that you want. We both know that EA just added things this year? that 2k already has in their game. For some reason you expect more out of 2k than you do EA. You said you expect more out of a game 4 years into the next gen systems? Then why isn't that expected of EA. It's the same with madden. EA screwed around with both football and hockey for the about 3 years (not counting 08 for hockey) and now when they put out something decent they are given so much credit and so much slack, yet 2k is nitpicked to death.

I'm happy that they changed announcers on 2k9 but how can you nitpick about their dialog. The presentation is so much better than the last few years for 2k in every way. Like I said no game is perfect and there are things that I would like to see improved but I just don't spend a lot of time dwelling on it, as long as it's not taking away from my enjoyment of the game. As far as the developer's getting feed back and doing something about it regarding 2k? I think they did that and more this year IMO 2k9 is a huge jump from last year and the animations, AI, the sliders (which worked last year), the presentation, the fighting engine! etc. have all improved a great deal. Country boy's quote says it the best. "Playing video games for what they are, instead of what we expect them to be" or something like that.

# 51 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/08 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
No you get a PS3 for MGS,Gran Turismo,and Ratchet and Clank,plus the Show.Oh,and Blue Ray
\\

I would like to but the only games I play that aren't sports are grand theft auto, and some of the world war II first person shooter games. I may have to sacrifice depending on what happens with the show this coming season but that's some big cash for just 1 game. Not knocking anybody who did it, I'm just a little more frugal when it comes to video games.

# 52 savoie2006 @ 08/26/08 07:51 PM
Quote:
\\

I would like to but the only games I play that aren't sports are grand theft auto, and some of the world war II first person shooter games. I may have to sacrifice depending on what happens with the show this coming season but that's some big cash for just 1 game. Not knocking anybody who did it, I'm just a little more frugal when it comes to video games.
Are you ever online for Call Of Duty 4?If so what's your Gamer tag?

# 53 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/08 08:14 PM
Quote:
Are you ever online for Call Of Duty 4?If so what's your Gamer tag?
Yeah that's it call of duty. No, believe it or not I have never played on line. I will have to give it a try. What's your gamer tag. I'll try to play sometime.

# 54 Behindshadows @ 08/26/08 11:40 PM
This game plays much better than 2k8, but my goodness the graphics are straight trash!

Why are they killing the graphics in the games. College Hoops 1st, MLB 2k8 2nd, and Now the Hockey is taking a hit.

Nothing against Visual Concepts, but I hate Take Two get these guys a new graphics engine already...

Great game though, crowd is nice.

# 55 Bornindamecca @ 08/27/08 01:22 AM
I don't know anything about hockey, except for what it has in common with basketball, but I scored a goal in my first game against the computer and it felt great! The demo was fun.

Last year, NHL 08 was reviewed as being hands down being better than NHL 2k8. Is that true?

I know how this EA vs. 2k stuff can go, and I'm not trying to start anything, but I trust the crowd here much more than Hilary Goldstein or whatever hacks they have review sports games at the major sites.

# 56 savoie2006 @ 08/27/08 11:03 AM
Quote:
Yeah that's it call of duty. No, believe it or not I have never played on line. I will have to give it a try. What's your gamer tag. I'll try to play sometime.
Actually I hadn't either until recently.I'll forewarn ya though,it's a bit of a pain at first,but once you start getting some upgrades(after a certain amount of kills),it gets better.GT=savoie06

# 57 savoie2006 @ 08/27/08 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
I don't know anything about hockey, except for what it has in common with basketball, but I scored a goal in my first game against the computer and it felt great! The demo was fun.

Last year, NHL 08 was reviewed as being hands down being better than NHL 2k8. Is that true?

I know how this EA vs. 2k stuff can go, and I'm not trying to start anything, but I trust the crowd here much more than Hilary Goldstein or whatever hacks they have review sports games at the major sites.
Yes it's true,08 is the better overall game.Eddie and Saint Patrick will try to tell you differently,but they are a small minority.

# 58 kerosene31 @ 08/27/08 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Nobody can tell you which game is "best". That would be like comparing one restaurant's steak to another's lobster. You have to play demos and decide which one is right for you.

Honestly, I thought both games were not that impressive last year. I spent $120 on both and didn't play either game all that much.

I'll most likely be buying both games this year as well, simply because nobody else here or anywhere else can tell me which one I will like better.

# 59 JimmyDeicide @ 08/27/08 06:44 PM
Quote:
Yes it's true,08 is the better overall game.Eddie and Saint Patrick will try to tell you differently,but they are a small minority.

Thats a baad comment, id say 2k8 was better overall so there you have it stalemate again.
Judge for yourself, if you believe strong opinionated people Jonas Brothers will be popular.

# 60 ChubbyBanana @ 08/27/08 06:56 PM
Guys let's try to keep this to NHL 2K9 demo discussion and impressions and not get so involved in the "This game is better than that game."

I'd hate to see this thread turn sour.

-Chubby

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.