Home
News Post

Note: Below are the patch details from the Lead Designer of NFL Head Coach 09, Josh Looman.

I got the Ok to officially say that we are doing a patch. I've wanted to say that for a week, but we had to make sure of a few things first.

Here's an update on our progress with the patch:
  • We have fixed the Play Creator/Injury Bug.
  • We have added the ability to call plays during the 2 minute drill. You guys better thank Bekins for this. Normally, this would have been a feature that would have taken forever to get in, but the kid killed himself to put it in there to help everyone out.
  • We have added Favre's stats back in the game.
  • We fixed a bug you guys didn't know about that allows me to change team philosophies in the roster update. Woo-Hoo! This lets me get the teams where I think they should be and correct some ratings issues that way.
  • We fixed the contract bug (where scrub players would ask for a ton of money when re-signing).
  • We fixed the Draft Day trading bug (where you could force every team to trade their pick by asking them to trade and then backing out)
  • We fixed the ability to change a QB to WR and change him back to QB again.
  • We fixed the bug where teams would not kick a FG at the end of the half.
  • We are investigating a fix to make fumbles better. Staymates found out that a fatigued player would be getting larger penalties than expected to their attributes, including their carry rating. We are greatly reducing this so that fumbles should happen less. This is going to need some more testing since a lot of different factors influence fumble chances.
  • We are also investigating a fix for CPU teams subbing out fatigued players quicker in-game so that backups get some carries. Our thresholds for subbing a guy out were too low, so we are raising those. This also needs mucho testing.
  • We are fixing any crashes we can reproduce including the issues found on PS3.
I don't have a date for when this will be delivered to you (we are working very quickly). Once we are done with it, it typically takes a couple of weeks to get through everybody else before it makes it's way to you.

As I've said before, I'm sorry for these bugs. As you can see, we are making it right.

*** Added Wednesday, August 27th ***

We are also fixing an issue with RFAs that was noticed.

Game: NFL Head Coach 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 64 - View All
NFL Head Coach 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JoeMimic @ 08/22/08 01:50 PM
Oh happy day!!!!!!!! Thank you guys!

# 2 halos17 @ 08/22/08 01:50 PM
You just made my weekend! Thanks so much for doing this and keeping involved with the community. This game ROCKS!

# 3 SinsemillArmy @ 08/22/08 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
I got the Ok to officially say that we are doing a patch. I've wanted to say that for a week, but we had to make sure of a few things first.

Here's an update on our progress with the patch:
  • We have fixed the Play Creator/Injury Bug.
  • We have added the ability to call plays during the 2 minute drill. You guys better thank Bekins for this. Normally, this would have been a feature that would have taken forever to get in, but the kid killed himself to put it in there to help everyone out.
  • We have added Favre's stats back in the game.
  • We fixed a bug you guys didn't know about that allows me to change team philosophies in the roster update. Woo-Hoo! This lets me get the teams where I think they should be and correct some ratings issues that way.
  • We fixed the contract bug (where scrub players would ask for a ton of money when re-signing).
  • We fixed the Draft Day trading bug (where you could force every team to trade their pick by asking them to trade and then backing out)
  • We fixed the ability to change a QB to WR and change him back to QB again.
  • We fixed the bug where teams would not kick a FG at the end of the half.
  • We are investigating a fix to make fumbles better. Staymates found out that a fatigued player would be getting larger penalties than expected to their attributes, including their carry rating. We are greatly reducing this so that fumbles should happen less. This is going to need some more testing since a lot of different factors influence fumble chances.
  • We are also investigating a fix for CPU teams subbing out fatigued players quicker in-game so that backups get some carries. Our thresholds for subbing a guy out were too low, so we are raising those. This also needs mucho testing.
  • We are fixing any crashes we can reproduce including the issues found on PS3.
I don't have a date for when this will be delivered to you (we are working very quickly). Once we are done with it, it typically takes a couple of weeks to get through everybody else before it makes it's way to you.

As I've said before, I'm sorry for these bugs. As you can see, we are making it right.

AWESOME.

It is official you guys are the best!

# 4 Lintyfresh85 @ 08/22/08 01:51 PM
That's awesome man.

I can't imagine how much good will you just created with you customer base!

# 5 TCrouch @ 08/22/08 01:51 PM
That's all we can ask. Thanks for keeping us informed, Josh...you have no idea how far this goes in making a great game a legendary game.

# 6 rckabillyRaider @ 08/22/08 01:53 PM
thats sounds really good! I always forget on save on Fridays

# 7 SloeyEZ @ 08/22/08 01:54 PM
tears of joy...or is it shock and awe? oh yes I always reply with shock and awe but this time it's both.

And thanks Bekins!!

# 8 Vince @ 08/22/08 02:00 PM
you guys are awesome....

one of the best dev teams in any video game.

# 9 ablueduck @ 08/22/08 02:01 PM
Awesome, thank you for addressing this issues in such a prompt manner, I didn't really expect a patch until a few months from now, weeks is phenomenal.

# 10 unisol_us @ 08/22/08 02:02 PM
Thanks for the update. I know I really appreciate this news! Even though I loved the game as it is, I am sure this is going to make it even better.

P.S. To that Niners44 guy guess jokes not on me after all! mmmuuuhhahahahahah!!!!!!!

# 11 utexas @ 08/22/08 02:05 PM
great great news. You are helping to change the avid gamer's view of EA. You guys do care about your product and the fans, great news

# 12 mwjr @ 08/22/08 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
That's all we can ask. Thanks for keeping us informed, Josh...you have no idea how far this goes in making a great game a legendary game.
Well said. A great game on the verge of legendary status.

# 13 PacMan3000 @ 08/22/08 02:13 PM
I have a PS3 but can't get online with it. Anyway to get the patch via the internet and using a flash drive?

I did that with the updated rosters and it worked, but I have no clue if a patch is an altogether different story.

Thanks.

# 14 Matrix-Monkey @ 08/22/08 02:15 PM
Awesome!

But just out of curiosity are you looking into tuning the defining moments logic? No biggie if not, just my only real gripe left about the game if you fix everything you stated.

# 15 EonBlue @ 08/22/08 02:16 PM
Josh,
Would we have to start our career over to implement the patch?

Really enjoying the game.

Thanks

# 16 rckabillyRaider @ 08/22/08 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I have a PS3 but can't get online with it. Anyway to get the patch via the internet and using a flash drive?

I did that with the updated rosters and it worked, but I have no clue if a patch is an altogether different story.

Thanks.
you might be out of luck. Cuz to download the patch, your system has to be connected to the internet so it can detect that the disc is in your system at the moment. Thats how the patch download is triggered

# 17 SloeyEZ @ 08/22/08 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix-Monkey
Awesome!

But just out of curiosity are you looking into tuning the defining moments logic? No biggie if not, just my only real gripe left about the game if you fix everything you stated.
I'd like to ask this to everyone...what exactly would need to be fine-tuned with the defining moments?

It doesn't seem absurd to me that everyone always wants you to go for it..etc. that's part of being a coach, dealing with the outside pressures that may cause you not to run your team the way you normally would. Do you give in to the fans? the media? the owner? I think defining moments is pretty effective in simulating that but I guess maybe they happen too early in a game? But I don't know, I kinda like the randomness of it. In fact lol last night I got mad because I was going to go for it (in an obvious situation) and I did NOT get the defining moment lol...

yeah, I kinda like defining moments

oh yeah, one last thing...winning or losing the game does pretty much wash out approval changes during the game and that makes sense. -8 for not going for it but went up like 15 when I won that game...

# 18 DLaren @ 08/22/08 02:28 PM
Thanks guys...The effort and dedication is truely appreciated.

# 19 bull @ 08/22/08 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
I'd like to ask this to everyone...what exactly would need to be fine-tuned with the defining moments?

It doesn't seem absurd to me that everyone always wants you to go for it..etc. that's part of being a coach, dealing with the outside pressures that may cause you not to run your team the way you normally would. Do you give in to the fans? the media? the owner? I think defining moments is pretty effective in simulating that but I guess maybe they happen too early in a game? But I don't know, I kinda like the randomness of it. In fact lol last night I got mad because I was going to go for it (in an obvious situation) and I did NOT get the defining moment lol...

yeah, I kinda like defining moments
Ok, I'll give you an example. Late in the game, I just scored a touchdown with 46 sec. left which put me 6 points behind. Suddenly I get a game defining moment as to whether or not I want to go for an onside kick. Of course any coach would. How is that a defining moment? Then to make matters worse, (there seems to be a bug here), as I go for the onside kick, make it, I see my approval go up for about 2 seconds, and then drop back down to where it was. When I look at the details of the reaction, everyone is negative. I ended up scoring the game winning touchdown, and did get a boost after the game, but the whole sequence was weird.

The other example is when the defining moment is to go for an onside kick with 8+ minutes left in the game. I really don't think the majority of fans and certainly owners, would be mad at a coach for not kicking an onsides kick this early.

Overall I love the concept, it just needs some tweaking...

# 20 sroz39 @ 08/22/08 02:33 PM
Well, that's good enough for me. Even though this isn't my type of game, you guys more than deserve another customer, especially considering how much fun I had playing the demo.

Any reasonable excuse for me to not get this game just went out the window with this patch.

Congratulations guys...you're doing one hell of a job

« Previous12345678910Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.