Home
News Post

Note: Below are the patch details from the Lead Designer of NFL Head Coach 09, Josh Looman.

I got the Ok to officially say that we are doing a patch. I've wanted to say that for a week, but we had to make sure of a few things first.

Here's an update on our progress with the patch:
  • We have fixed the Play Creator/Injury Bug.
  • We have added the ability to call plays during the 2 minute drill. You guys better thank Bekins for this. Normally, this would have been a feature that would have taken forever to get in, but the kid killed himself to put it in there to help everyone out.
  • We have added Favre's stats back in the game.
  • We fixed a bug you guys didn't know about that allows me to change team philosophies in the roster update. Woo-Hoo! This lets me get the teams where I think they should be and correct some ratings issues that way.
  • We fixed the contract bug (where scrub players would ask for a ton of money when re-signing).
  • We fixed the Draft Day trading bug (where you could force every team to trade their pick by asking them to trade and then backing out)
  • We fixed the ability to change a QB to WR and change him back to QB again.
  • We fixed the bug where teams would not kick a FG at the end of the half.
  • We are investigating a fix to make fumbles better. Staymates found out that a fatigued player would be getting larger penalties than expected to their attributes, including their carry rating. We are greatly reducing this so that fumbles should happen less. This is going to need some more testing since a lot of different factors influence fumble chances.
  • We are also investigating a fix for CPU teams subbing out fatigued players quicker in-game so that backups get some carries. Our thresholds for subbing a guy out were too low, so we are raising those. This also needs mucho testing.
  • We are fixing any crashes we can reproduce including the issues found on PS3.
I don't have a date for when this will be delivered to you (we are working very quickly). Once we are done with it, it typically takes a couple of weeks to get through everybody else before it makes it's way to you.

As I've said before, I'm sorry for these bugs. As you can see, we are making it right.

*** Added Wednesday, August 27th ***

We are also fixing an issue with RFAs that was noticed.

Game: NFL Head Coach 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 64 - View All
NFL Head Coach 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 GameSeven @ 08/31/08 08:25 PM
Copied the following from a FG-specific thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Staymates found the kicker problem yesterday and we sat down and tested his fix last night.

It looks like the problem is solved.
That's good to hear as it is easily my biggest gripe with the game. I continually miss makeable kicks with Stover (it seems I make more if I remember to Supersim) and I missed an XP against Pitt which figured prominently in the outcome of the game. Stover hasn't missed an XP IRL since 1996!

Has this bug been elaborated on? I had seen mention of updated rosters, but would this be possible to import mid-career? Or is the bug something else?

Also, I *do* seem to get better results if I sim the kicks. Are the engines different or is this my imagination?

Thanks for your continuing support of the football games this year...

# 122 Krodis @ 09/01/08 12:23 AM
Quote:
I can't change anything in the offseason rosters or for upcoming rookies in the roster update.

I can change potential for any player that is in the preseason rosters.

I've even dropped a couple who have been more disappointing than expected so far.
Is a certain QB from a certain western (WAYYYY western) school that you guys seemed to have a very low opinion on but is tearing up the preseason to receive a ratings boost?

# 123 pf8363 @ 09/01/08 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodis
Is a certain QB from a certain western (WAYYYY western) school that you guys seemed to have a very low opinion on but is tearing up the preseason to receive a ratings boost?
colt brennen is this years trent edwards

# 124 Heshi @ 09/01/08 09:58 AM
Josh, are you going to fix the "CPU is beating me" bug also known as the "Losing a game while trying to win" glitch? And please fix the pass and rush numbers so that we have the same for every player in every game.

# 125 Kingfish @ 09/01/08 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanalogkid
I wished they'd find tune the running game. (well actually tune it so it's close to being realistic with the NFL)
Have you seen a GOOD back with a GOOD OLine in front of him WITH GOOD playbook and the plays KNOWN...also with the above using the adjustment(?) you practiced in the week before the game? that BOOSTS you HBs? ASTOUNDING running numbers! I think if you keep after it, keep learning the plays build an OLine and get a good back the 2000+ yds a season isn't out of the question.

What I am saying is, default sliders and the running game will be there...it just isn't there in pre-season or even EARLY season one...keep working at it.

I traded up one spot to #10 and got DMac with the Bills(even assigned #32 to him...I KNOW!!!). Added one OLineman I think in FA and he is ripping off 100+ yd games early in the season(didn't do much in preseason)...if this keeps up he will get close to the 2000yd mark this season...

# 126 Madstork99 @ 09/01/08 01:58 PM
I'm really excited about the upcoming patch, kudos for fixing things so quickly.

I know other posters have mentioned the "Opponent's Personnel" bug where their formation appears to be 3TE 2RB but they come out in 5 WR. I had a game against a team with only these 2 formations and it was nearly impossible to play call. Additionally, when you do guess the formation correctly, they can audible into the other set and you cannot audible out, or (in a created play) make adjustments.

In supersim I don't even know if my defense failed normally or because the opponents were in a different formation.

Is a fix in the upcoming patch?

# 127 SloeyEZ @ 09/01/08 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heshi
Josh, are you going to fix the "CPU is beating me" bug also known as the "Losing a game while trying to win" glitch? And please fix the pass and rush numbers so that we have the same for every player in every game.
umm...wtheck does this mean? and the same pass and rush numbers for every player in every game???

# 128 ablueduck @ 09/01/08 06:34 PM
Is the faulty field goal kicking being addressed in this patch? I would use the slider, and that does work, but there is the idea floating around that using any sliders throws the whole game off, defenders react slower, passing game becomes way too easy etc.

# 129 gatorelk @ 09/01/08 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish
Have you seen a GOOD back with a GOOD OLine in front of him WITH GOOD playbook and the plays KNOWN...also with the above using the adjustment(?) you practiced in the week before the game? that BOOSTS you HBs? ASTOUNDING running numbers! I think if you keep after it, keep learning the plays build an OLine and get a good back the 2000+ yds a season isn't out of the question.

What I am saying is, default sliders and the running game will be there...it just isn't there in pre-season or even EARLY season one...keep working at it.

I traded up one spot to #10 and got DMac with the Bills(even assigned #32 to him...I KNOW!!!). Added one OLineman I think in FA and he is ripping off 100+ yd games early in the season(didn't do much in preseason)...if this keeps up he will get close to the 2000yd mark this season...
well i had an entire oline 85+ and a running back that was 89 and gameplaned to improve top running plays. i activated the gameplan and called a goaline off tackle in the middle of the field (so its not like the defense was in goaline) and i lost 2 yards... that stuff happens on a consistant basis. sometimes i get good plays, but most of the time i get tackled for a loss. i think the problem is that the awareness of the defense is off or something (tho ive tried the sliders and it doesnt help much if at all). as soon as a hole opens in the line, a LB or sometimes a safety runs thru the hole and tackles the RB for a loss. i have even had them tackle the QB before he hands it off. sadly, none of that stuff is gonna change cause im almost positive that is just the broken madden 08 engine...

# 130 theanalogkid @ 09/01/08 08:51 PM
Quote:
Just added another fix.

You can now negotiate new contracts with your players and it counts their old salary as available cap room.
I was hoping that would change, otherwise no one playing the Jets would ever be able to sign Favre to a long term deal. (and yes he does play well into his early 40s, though I'm not sure what effect having his stats will make)

# 131 Josh_Looman @ 09/01/08 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablueduck
Is the faulty field goal kicking being addressed in this patch? I would use the slider, and that does work, but there is the idea floating around that using any sliders throws the whole game off, defenders react slower, passing game becomes way too easy etc.
Look at the first post on page 14.

# 132 TCF @ 09/01/08 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish

my oline for the chiefs is around 80+ and LJ is a 90+ my playbook is very good yet in the games i play he can only average about 40 yards a game? but against weaker teams he can get over 100. LJ is pretty consistant with 100 plus a game. but no way do the LB's on good teams always get in the back field untouched

# 133 hanmik @ 09/01/08 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
umm...wtheck does this mean? and the same pass and rush numbers for every player in every game???
I think he was trying to be funny. You know make fun of everyone whining about all that is wrong with the game.

# 134 GameSeven @ 09/01/08 09:20 PM
Quote:
Josh, by referring to the post, thanks for re-confirming that this is a fix for the patch.

If you can be so forthcoming can you answer either or both of the following?

Can you elaborate on what caused this particular issue? This is just out of curiosities sake as I've wondered why it seems to manifest in some situations and not others.

Is supersimming all place kicks a viable workaroud until the patch is available? I'm only a few games into my season but won't want to continue without the patch if simming is not a viable workaround.

# 135 AzBearsFan @ 09/02/08 12:47 PM
This may have been addressed in a bugs thread already, and if so i'm sorry for re-stating it. Here goes.

When starting a franchise as the Bears if you elect to start at preseason you will notice that HB Kevin Jones is already on your roster, and signed. However, before the first game comes up you will see a prompt on the clipboard for FA Bidding for Kevin Jones. So, in order to keep him on your roster you have to bid for him again, and now pay a large price tag for him. Just wondered if it were possible for this to be corrected?

# 136 tef @ 09/02/08 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBearsFan
This may have been addressed in a bugs thread already, and if so i'm sorry for re-stating it. Here goes.

When starting a franchise as the Bears if you elect to start at preseason you will notice that HB Kevin Jones is already on your roster, and signed. However, before the first game comes up you will see a prompt on the clipboard for FA Bidding for Kevin Jones. So, in order to keep him on your roster you have to bid for him again, and now pay a large price tag for him. Just wondered if it were possible for this to be corrected?
The problem is that the player was added to the roster but his contract is for 0 years. There are a few players in the default roster with the same problem.

# 137 tef @ 09/02/08 01:56 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed, but there is a problem with the CPU logic regarding holding calls on kickoffs and punts. I have yet to see the CPU accept a holding penalty on the receiving team. Even my own coordinators decline the penalty if I delegate it out.

# 138 ablueduck @ 09/02/08 03:53 PM
Quote:
Ah, sorry should have searched within the thread more, thanks.

# 139 Americas Team1 @ 09/03/08 05:07 PM
Is there a date for when the patch should be out?

# 140 Lieutenant Dan @ 09/03/08 05:21 PM
Josh can't give a firm date, but he said a day or two ago approx. two weeks.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.