Home
News Post

The NBA Live 09 demo has been released, please download it and post your impressions here.

NBA Live 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 DaImmaculateONe @ 09/04/08 01:24 PM
Is there a invisible force field around the backboard that doesnt allow the ball to touch it unless it goes over

# 82 bigeastbumrush @ 09/04/08 01:26 PM
After 3 games, it feels like a decent effort. Still quite stiff though. For instance, when the CPU is shooting a jumper and I press the Block button, there is a slight delay before he jumps to block it. Is anyone else seeing this.

Derek Fisher has taken one shot in 3 games and it was a half-court heave before the 1st quarter clock expired.

The CPU has run their offense. One one play, Gasol just face up for about 3-4 seconds in the post before making a move.

Free Throws are HARD! If you have a poor FT shooter, forget about it. I took my first FTs with Patrick O'Bryant and no luck whatsoever. Hopefully it's easier for better FT shooters.

I shot an airball 3 with Paul Pierce. I don't ever remember that happening before. I think this is a good thing because it shows the importance of sig shots and releasing your jumper at the right time.

# 83 23 @ 09/04/08 01:32 PM
There were no airballs in Live 08

Do you actually feel release points on jumpers now?

Any of you guys played a rewind game that has actual data in it to see if it plays any different?

# 84 Klocker @ 09/04/08 01:33 PM
The one thing I know about the Live series is that comparing the demo to a full game (based on 08) the demo gives you a feel for the game play but the one thing that does not come through until the final release is how much FUN the game is.. as you get down to the last few minutes, there is tension and excitement and big plays and it's a challenge to win.

even in a sub par effort like 08 that was true. So as much as we will dissect the game controls here and what not I always try to remember how much fun it is to play a full game. hard to get from two 2 min qrtrs.

# 85 Tomahawk Jam @ 09/04/08 01:35 PM
Speaking of airballs, Odom completely missed the rim on a three attempt against me where I wasn't even guarding him (on All-Star). So, that's cool.

# 86 SageInfinite @ 09/04/08 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
After 3 games, it feels like a decent effort. Still quite stiff though. For instance, when the CPU is shooting a jumper and I press the Block button, there is a slight delay before he jumps to block it. Is anyone else seeing this.
Yes, and it has contributed to alot of the shots going in. The block animations are just too slow. 2k8 had this problem at times as well.

# 87 Vince @ 09/04/08 01:42 PM
Is this an early build, Beluba?

# 88 Tomba @ 09/04/08 01:43 PM
tried a game speed edit of 75 and this games starting to flow the way i like.

# 89 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 01:54 PM
Is anyone else feeling that the DNA really doesn't make the teams play any differently? I played all possible rewind situations as both teams, and the teams still never really played differently. It was still just a bunch of players taking contested fadeaway 3's (and swishing them).. I'm sure the game would be really great against a human player that knows how to play, but the CPU tendencies just doesn't feel different to me and feels like random players are taking random shots whenever they feel froggy. Gasol taking 3's for no reason, Perkins shooting from the top of the arc inside the 3 line, Rondo standing in a corner for 15 seconds only to take a contested J...

# 90 NYCDaFuture @ 09/04/08 02:10 PM
Lol to the kid above. DNA is going to show up when the game comes out. There is no DNA ON the demo now get it...

Also this demo is decent at best. Live still has a long ways to go. SHooting is terrible it seems sluggish. I feel 2k is way more fluid wit the jumpshots. Presentation n music is good tho. Practice mode much better.

A few animitaions was good but overall kinda weak to me. This game will not warrant a purchase for me. 2k9 is wehre its at, im all about the gameplay n 2k has never let me down unlike the horrible live series since 99 n up lol. I was hoping live would b a challenge to 2k but its not.

Dont get me wrong tho, this game is way better then live08. At least i was able to play a few games witout turning the demo off... But they have along ways to go. I will say that im impressed with all of live features like the 5 on 5 leagues.... But im sure 2k9 will have that since we also will have the 5 on 5 n a supposedly big secret... Good effort tho Live...... Jus not on 2k Level Ya Dig

# 91 zakarias @ 09/04/08 02:12 PM
How to make a fadeaway shot?? has released the old Y funtion.

# 92 kwas676 @ 09/04/08 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuture4sho
Lol to the kid above. DNA is going to show up when the game comes out. There is no DNA ON the demo now get it...

Also this demo is decent at best. Live still has a long ways to go. SHooting is terrible it seems sluggish. I feel 2k is way more fluid wit the jumpshots. Presentation n music is good tho. Practice mode much better.

A few animitaions was good but overall kinda weak to me. This game will not warrant a purchase for me. 2k9 is wehre its at, im all about the gameplay n 2k has never let me down unlike the horrible live series since 99 n up lol. I was hoping live would b a challenge to 2k but its not.

Dont get me wrong tho, this game is way better then live08. At least i was able to play a few games witout turning the demo off... But they have along ways to go. I will say that im impressed with all of live features like the 5 on 5 leagues.... But im sure 2k9 will have that since we also will have the 5 on 5 n a supposedly big secret... Good effort tho Live...... Jus not on 2k Level Ya Dig
lets just talk bout the demo instead of comparing it to 2k.

# 93 videobastard @ 09/04/08 02:15 PM
The presentation, graphics, and sounds feels authentic. I like the play callin system, it is easy to call, and execute the plays. The gameplay feels sluggish though. I also miss the analog for shooting from the 2k games. Its such a natural feel to use it for shooting. Im just not use to using 2 buttons for shooting and dunks. After trying out the demo i think i will just stick with 2k9. The sluggish gameplay and not having analog shooting are the deciding factors for me.

# 94 Tomba @ 09/04/08 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas676
lets just talk bout the demo instead of comparing it to 2k.

Agree. that said. This demo is MUCH better than last years demo

# 95 Bornindamecca @ 09/04/08 02:23 PM
I'm glad you guys are all having fun with it, and I guess I'm the lone dissenting voice.

I think this is a very mediocre basketball game. The passing is much better than last year, but there are a host of issues that keep this from even being a debatable purchase for me. I might be in the minority on this, but I don't like the way the game looks. From my brother: "What's wrong with Kobe's face? Is it me, or do the players' legs look skinny?" My brother doesn't play sports games, and didn't even know which one this was. He has no allegiances to either game and isn't even aware of the rivalry.

There are some good things. Obviously the commentary and presentation are light years ahead of 2k. The dunking animations are improved. Not great, but improved. While I don't like having two buttons for shooting, the logic of the layup button is great. Players do exactly what shot I expect them to do, be it a reverse, a floater, around to the front of the rim, etc. The collisions feel pretty good overall and the icon passing is much better. In fact, I hope 2k has the same mechanic of holding the LB rather than having it be a timed display.

On the negative side...really there are a ton of things. Awkward animations, sluggishness, weird defensive interactions at weird times. For me, the QSA is inferior to the Isomotion system. Initiating the quick strike seems to create a little bubble that the player operates in, rather than having him interact naturally with his environment.

I have to play it some more before giving a fair and complete impression, but after a few games the Live franchise still seems more than a year behind 2k.

# 96 stephensonmc @ 09/04/08 02:25 PM
Thanks for the impressions guys! Keep them coming!

# 97 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:26 PM
Quote:
There is DNA in the game. Don't smart off to me when you have no idea what you're talking about. What do you think the numbers to go to each side, the multi colored bar when it's showing the starting lineups, and the rewind is for? I guess the section under where you select your teams that says TEAM DNA and changes whenever you change you game to an NBA Rewind game is just there for the hell of it? And each player having their individual PLAYER DNA when you are setting your starting lineups is just there for it's health too? Come on man, use your brain.

# 98 23 @ 09/04/08 02:26 PM
Quote:

A few animitaions was good but overall kinda weak to me. This game will not warrant a purchase for me..

Dont get me wrong tho, this game is way better then live08. At least i was able to play a few games witout turning the demo off... But they have along ways to go. I will say that im impressed with all of live features like the 5 on 5 leagues....... Good effort tho Live...... . Ya Dig

Nobody cares about your fettish for 2k and im editing any posts in here going on and on about 2k. This is an NBA Live demo impressions thread.

# 99 Stumbleweed @ 09/04/08 02:27 PM
Haha, I was waiting for the Ownage Train after I read that post. Right on time.

# 100 bigeastbumrush @ 09/04/08 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
There were no airballs in Live 08

Do you actually feel release points on jumpers now?
Yes and no. Really hard to describe.

I'm a person who likes to have a lot of airtime on my jumpers and then release at the highest point. I had a kickout to Ray Allen and I released it on what I thought was too quick and I drained it. Felt weird, but 'looked' smooth and it went in.

To everyone else, I will say this: If you found ANY enjoyment out of Live 08 (after slider adjustments/rosters/etc.), you will enjoy Live 09 because it is a smoother, more accurate representation of the "Live" game.

If you've never liked Live, this demo will not sway you if you're on the fence.

That's the best way that I can describe the demo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.