Home
News Post

The FIFA Soccer 09 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Blaxican8504 @ 09/11/08 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
It's on the marketplace. Downloading now! Brian
Lol. I'm doing the same. I logged into XBL at exactly 2am.

# 2 BrianFifaFan @ 09/11/08 05:10 AM
I went on there and at first nada. Then I backed out of the new arrivals went back in and bam! I'm just praying my box holds up through today so I can get a taste. It's dying, but I think it might be the DVD drive. Hopefully the HDD isn't dead. But this thing is pumping heat out of the back like a hair dryer. 5 RROD since yesterday morning. Regardless, it's headed for Texas tomorrow. I just want to get to play the demo at least a couple of times before I have to go into gaming rehab!

66% complete!

# 3 SeaNNyT @ 09/11/08 05:24 AM
Nice they have custom controls this year. Also you can adjust the zoom level, and height of any of the preexisting camera.

# 4 poster @ 09/11/08 08:04 AM
Nice heads up! Almost done, but I have to go to work.

# 5 KG @ 09/11/08 08:34 AM
I DL'd it and played it this morning and the first you thing you notice is how responsive the players move. The default setting for '09 is the Euro speed so it's a little faster than '08 but the responsiveness opens the game up so much more.

Just some quick things I noticed:
  • The passing bar lets you really get a good gauge on how hard you need to press the button to put certain amounts of speed on your passes. Manual passing should be a little bit easier to fool around with.
  • Goal Kicks default to the end to end view. You can now see if the cheeser you're playing is charging forward trying to steal a lazy pass from your keeper without using the radar.
  • The speed really lets you get out of those animations in '08 where you would get stuck. You can also do a quick counter throw from your keeper now.
  • I went into penalty shots. Moving the keeper is mapped to the Left Analog, the right analog stick makes your keeper jump on his tippy toes and do a jumping jack.
  • In however long the demo was I saw Real get 3 yellows and multiple advantages on plays where the foul was obvious. Robben got one for arguing. This should delight all of us.
  • I saw some nice sliding passes where my player couldnt control the pass so he slid and tapped the ball to a teammate without me hitting the slide tackle button. I also saw a few errant passes on my behalf that went astray.
  • Before the match while the game is loading your Arena player changes and when the game loads and prompts you to press start it transforms you into the Arena. It looks pretty cool. Also, I dont if this was in '08 but the Stadium Announcer now announces the starting 11.
I can't wait to get home and play some more. Visually, they nailed Drogba's player perfectly. Oh yeh, before the match while the players were still in the tunnell Ruud turned to the camera and gave it a mean stare. Never nice seeing his ulgy mug at 6:45AM.

# 6 poster @ 09/11/08 09:44 AM
Nice write up bro. I was able to play around in the arena with Ronny for a bit. Shooting and aiming in general seems much better, almost too easy, but I think I like it.

Jerseys are unlocked so that is cool. Will sport the Milan 3rd black kit for sure. Seemed like some of the team sliders were availible, but some were locked. That is as far as I got before taking off to work. Cannot wait to get home and play it some more.

# 7 KG @ 09/11/08 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Nice write up bro. I was able to play around in the arena with Ronny for a bit. Shooting and aiming in general seems much better, almost too easy, but I think I like it.

Jerseys are unlocked so that is cool. Will sport the Milan 3rd black kit for sure. Seemed like some of the team sliders were availible, but some were locked. That is as far as I got before taking off to work. Cannot wait to get home and play it some more.
Yeh, I noticed that in the Arena that alot of my shots were on target. More so than in '08 but I played a lot of '08 and a lot lately.

I also had a free kick outside of the box and called for the 2nd player, too bad I blew it and sailed it over the net.

# 8 Qb @ 09/11/08 10:50 AM
It's downloading now and I'm off again today, so I'll being giving it a good go and I'll try to get some impressions up for those stuck at work before playing some NHL 09...

UPDATE: Two quick things, messed around in the arena -- the curl on FKs can be wicked. Also, from the opening kick I went back to my RB, passed to the RM and Ramos was greeted with a crunching tackle right after he passed the ball. Advantage, the pass went into touch, foul called and yellow card given... SIX SECONDS IN!

# 9 asu666 @ 09/11/08 11:01 AM
Wow, I think this is going to be the best year for soccer/football game fans in a long time, maybe ever. that's for the impressions. I can't wait to get home and dl it.

# 10 Qb @ 09/11/08 11:17 AM
One game, initial impression -- as kgx said, player responsiveness is definitely there. Also, the rails/suction to the ball appears to be minimal if not gone. When the CPU played a through ball from the middle to the left wing, my LB that I switched to was not pulled toward the player or ball. I was able to take the appropriate angle to cut out the play.

I'm seeing much more movement from the AI players (both sides) in the attack. I used Madrid and when I had it out wide with Sneijder, Ruud made a few nice runs towards the box without me sending him. I also sent a guy or two and that seemed to be better & more responsive as well. Only one game, so it bears further investigating.

I saw two fouls and two subsequent yellows from the CPU in the four minutes of play, which is often more than I would see in 20 minutes in 08. Tackles/fouls look cool, but I think we've seen that enough in the videos to expect that...

The CPU defense is doing a great job of playing the passing lanes and even on semi (preferred setting from 08), my passing feels much more like manual. I had several balls that went to my intended target, but were behind him or offline in some way. The AI also was also quick to pressure the man in possession in certain (appropriate I think) situations. Once they did I was in trouble, especially with passes then missing their mark. I'm going to get some more time before I make any evaluation of my teammates defensive play...

I chose the "football games are my passion" option at the beginning so the difficulty was World Class. I think I'll try the next lower choice to see if that gives me Pro, which is what I played on in 08 so I can get a better read on some things.

MORE: Tried Chelsea/Marseille after backing out and selecting the lower option to get Pro difficulty.

*I set Carvalho to man-mark Niang and it was a noticeable change, which is a departure from last year. I never noticed much of a difference when doing this in the past.

*Shots seems much more dangerous and have more of a driven feel to them. Just watching the post match highlights, I'm seeing the nice rising swerve that you see so often in real football. I had a great looking low screamer from Lampard that Mandanda knocked away for a corner.

*The aerial/heading game looks awesome at first blush. Guys go up when you tell them to and will somewhat hover in the air, as opposed to that quick up & down animation from 08. I nearly put one in with Drogba and the way he hit the apex of his jump only to hang there and snap off a good header was sweet & realistic if you ask me. I'm hoping that this is one of those things that's really rating-driven. It seemed like other guys had less hangtime, so I guess that's promising. Can't wait to pick out Adebayor in the box if this plays out as well as I'm hoping...

* The crowd reaction on penalties is awesome. I like that keeper movement is now entirely on the left stick (if it wasn't already?), but I need to work on my timing. I didn't guess right once, but I wonder if I was tipping my hand as I was moving too early...

* The individual player rating system seems to be fixed, as Farfan scored the only goal in my first game and had a 10 rating. Marseille's CM won MOM it in the second match with an 8, despite only having two tackles and a few successful passes (no goals were scored aside from PKs). I know in 08 it was so frustrating that you had to have an incredible individual game to even get to 8. This meant that you had virtually no chance of having anyone even crack the Top 20s for position rankings, let alone make the end of season top XI. Not a huge deal, but cool that it seems to be improved/fixed...

* I love how when you change stuff in the custom team tactics the 2D overlay shows you how your players will react. I'm going to mess with it some now before I play Milan/Toronto to see how a crummy team does up against a top-shelf one (granted I'm not familiar with the game, but hopefully it will at least feel different)...

# 11 Gmoney2002 @ 09/11/08 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
One game, initial impression -- as kgx said, player responsiveness is definitely there. Also, the rails/suction to the ball appears to be minimal if not gone. When the CPU played a through ball from the middle to the left wing, my LB that I switched to was not pulled toward the player or ball. I was able to take the appropriate angle to cut out the play.

I'm seeing much more movement from the AI players (both sides) in the attack. I used Madrid and when I had it out wide with Sneijder, Ruud made a few nice runs towards the box without me sending him. I also sent a guy or two and that seemed to be better & more responsive as well. Only one game, so it bears further investigating.

I saw two fouls and two subsequent yellows from the CPU in the four minutes of play, which is often more than I would see in 20 minutes in 08. Tackles/fouls look cool, but I think we've seen that enough in the videos to expect that...

The CPU defense is doing a great job of playing the passing lanes and even on semi (preferred setting from 08), my passing feels much more like manual. I had several balls that went to my intended target, but were behind him or offline in some way. The AI also was also quick to pressure the man in possession in certain (appropriate I think) situations. Once they did I was in trouble, especially with passes then missing their mark. I'm going to get some more time before I make any evaluation of my teammates defensive play...

I chose the "football games are my passion" option at the beginning so the difficulty was World Class. I think I'll try the next lower choice to see if that gives me Pro, which is what I played on in 08 so I can get a better read on some things.
Great impressions QB. The hightened A.I movement has got me eager to play this. Downloading now....

# 12 welshman11 @ 09/11/08 11:43 AM
thanks for impressions guys - waiting on my new gold card in the mail or for the demo to change over to all accounts...ARGH

# 13 KG @ 09/11/08 11:52 AM
Nice Q and I hate you btw for being off and getting to play it more.Add to that the fact that I know Blax will be all on it as soon as wakes up. JK

Goalie movement was tied to the Right stick I believe, or maybe the dive was, idk.

I managed to block 2 with Cech, including the game winner against Raul who fell to the ground and covered his face crying like Ronaldo. Cech was pumping his fists and ran out where all my players mobbed him. The cut scene happened so quickly that it looked just like the real thing.

I also played for a sec on the Broadcast view. It's pretty interesting but I'm always so drawn to Tele because you can see so much.

# 14 Qb @ 09/11/08 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm going to mess with it some now before I play Milan/Toronto to see how a crummy team does up against a top-shelf one (granted I'm not familiar with the game, but hopefully it will at least feel different)...
Well, it was one demo game on Pro, but it sure seemed like Toronto played worse than Schalke or Marseille. The missed some passes, had some poor first touches and left some gaping holes at the back. One of those gaffes let Pirlo charge through from midfield after I sucked the LCB & LB to me by dropping back a bit with Inzaghi for my first goal. I didn't send him, he went on his own and your teammates calling for the ball into space by pointing is a great addition.

* The curl on set pieces is, as I said, wicked. I was aimed straight up the touchline with Pirlo on an outswinger, only to have the ball curl all the way to the edge of the 18yd box and miss everyone.

* Four minutes of play (duh) and two fouls apiece & three bookings. One was a delayed one after an advantage and the ball later went into touch. I was expecting a sub... sweet!

* I also saw a foul where the CPU was leaning on me before shouldering me off the ball with two defenders. I certainly wasn't expecting that to be called and quite frankly was worried with all the talk of stronger players being able to knock smaller guys around (it was two defenders on Pato). Obviously this isn't conclusive proof of a better foul engine, but it's better than 08 at this point.

*The foul itself brought back memories of WE on the PS2 when you'd jockey/pressure the man with the ball too aggressivley. I've been waiting for this since I moved to the 360 and started playing FIFA again, as you could pretty much harass the ball at will in 08. We'll see how it plays out in the full version...

# 15 Krebstar @ 09/11/08 12:11 PM
I woke up this morning and knew there was something I was looking forward to. I couldn't think of it, so I just figured it was the presidential forum on CNN tonight, haha.

Now I remember, FIFA demo!

Sadly I'm at class for another five hours, but I'm seriously considering skipping my next one to go download the demo and play.

How long are the halves on the demo?

# 16 Qb @ 09/11/08 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
How long are the halves on the demo?
Two minutes. As a student advisor, I can't in good conscience recommend that you do that. But since I'm on vacation today, go for it!

# 17 thriller92 @ 09/11/08 12:28 PM
So its only out for xbox right now and ps3 is coming out next week like the nba live demo too? Why dont they come out at the same time for both gaming consoles?

# 18 Vince @ 09/11/08 12:32 PM
PS3 should be out tonight.

# 19 Qb @ 09/11/08 12:45 PM
OK, I think I'll play one more then log some time with NHL. Some final thoughts for now:

* The ball physics feel pretty good. Crosses still feel a little floaty to me, but better than 08 I think. I haven't had much opportunity to experiment with the different types and powers (I'm using Semi crossing assist for now), so take it for what it's worth. But the shots are fantastic! Guys who can hammer the ball are noticeable and to repeat, the hard driving, rising shot is finally there. No more floating or balloons that go into the stands. You'll miss high for sure, but it seems to be much more realistically implemented...

* Again to reiterate, so much more movement this year on both sides of the ball. Defenders cut out passing lanes, attackers move into space (seems more prevalent on free from organization which makes sense). I haven't had that "why won't anyone do anything?!?" feeling of frustration that I often got in 08 while waiting for my teammates to make themselves useful.

* The aerial game is fantastic. I've seen tons of different heading animations depending on my position, jostling and timing of the command. Defensive clearing headers are still a tad weak, but manageable and maybe better than 08, but don't quote me on that. Also, I've seen some decent power on offensive headers, some really weak ones if it was awkward, but have yet to so a truly powerful one. I think I'll use Chelsea again and try to feed crosses to Mr. Drogba all game.

* I can definitely tell the difference in playing against Chelsea (got outshot 6-0 and outpossessed by a fair margin), Schalke/Marseille (pretty even due to my lack of skill at this point) and Toronto (they barely threatened and I had around 60% of the possession). Not only does talent seem to matter more, the style differences are apparent as well. Schalke is set as an aggressive defensive team & played as such, while Chelsea were all over me. I think I'll do Chelsea/Milan to finish and try to experience that thrilling Italian sit back & defend style...

* Almost forgot, regarding offsides... Defenders now raise their arms just like real players so annoyingly do! Also, I've seen different timing on the whistle, not sure if this was in 08. I've had a few obvious ones blown dead immediately, but also had one or two that were delayed enough that I didn't expect them. It was so incredibly frustrating, just like when it happens when you're watching the real thing...

* Another thing I noticed immediately but keep forgetting to mention, CPU defenders will not hesitate to clear the ball into touch. I've seen numerous clearances hammered over the sidelines and over the end line for a corner as well when they're under pressure. I don't think I've seen any of the incredibly annoying upfield clearances that go directly to the CPU attackers to start the counter that was so prevalent in Euro. I hope this plays out like this over the long haul as that was one of my biggest gripes with Euro's gameplay...

* Did I mention I love the new shooting? If you have time & space, you can rip 'em, so I think that defensive positioning will be at a premium. I am at least a tad bit worried that it might be a little too effective, as I'm on semi-assisted shooting and I'm having no trouble placing hard shots and beating the keeper when open. Perhaps that's good, perhaps bad, only time will tell. I'm more worried about online, as I suspect most people use assisted. I can only imagine the scores of some 10v10 games...

* Again, PK shootouts are so well done. Everything from the crowd to the cutscenes to the pacing and right down to the reactions of a crucial miss or conversion from both sides is spot-on. If you played Euro, it's very similar and the overall feel is simply great.

* If this is any indication of my overall impression of the demo, I just got NHL 09 yesterday and hockey is my favorite sport (footie is a close second)... I can't stop playing FIFA right now. Unbelievable...

# 20 foreversport @ 09/11/08 01:07 PM
All of this sounds fantastic. Can someone please post when the demo hits the PSN Store?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.