Home
News Post

The FIFA Soccer 09 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Spanky @ 09/11/08 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman11
thanks for impressions guys - waiting on my new gold card in the mail or for the demo to change over to all accounts...ARGH
Can't you just create a new XBox Live silver account, with a different username, email and gamertag, and get a month's free gold trial membership, just for the purposes of downloading the demo? That's what I did a few weeks ago and I was able to download a few demos (NHL 09, NHL 2k, NBA Live) on the first day with a silver account.

# 22 chicubfan @ 09/11/08 01:31 PM
can someone tell me how to curl the ball on set pieces? thanks

# 23 welshman11 @ 09/11/08 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Can't you just create a new XBox Live silver account, with a different username, email and gamertag, and get a month's free gold trial membership, just for the purposes of downloading the demo? That's what I did a few weeks ago and I was able to download a few demos (NHL 09, NHL 2k, NBA Live) on the first day with a silver account.
We're about to find out

WOOT! downloading now - ty for this tip brother

# 24 Qb @ 09/11/08 01:32 PM
FYI, if anyone is still reading my stuff, I keep adding edits in so there may be some things you missed. I just realized that I didn't comment on the overall speed/pace of the game. I think it's reasonable, but I'm still looking forward to giving the slow setting a go. With the default speed, I think online could be quite quick with top-drawer teams, as it was at times in Euro, especially in OTP when everyone is sprinting like mad...

# 25 DaImmaculateONe @ 09/11/08 01:59 PM
Wats that song playing sounds like a Prince song?

# 26 Posty-McPost @ 09/11/08 03:04 PM
Forgive me if I missed this in previous FIFAs but I just noticed that AI players will point at where they want the ball to be played. And then make the run. Very cool.

# 27 BrianFifaFan @ 09/11/08 03:11 PM
Getting ready to fire it up, just got home. I was only able to play for about three minutes in the arena this morning before rushing out and almost being late to work. One thing I noticed in those few precious minutes is how the ball is so much more "alive." I hammered a couple from range to see if that was improved and the ball danced all over the place in flight. Very real. Also Ronaldinho handles like a dream. Well I'm off to fire this up again! Hopefully my Xbox will hold up through a few matches before I have to ship it off...... Brian

# 28 KG @ 09/11/08 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
FYI, if anyone is still reading my stuff, I keep adding edits in so there may be some things you missed. I just realized that I didn't comment on the overall speed/pace of the game. I think it's reasonable, but I'm still looking forward to giving the slow setting a go. With the default speed, I think online could be quite quick with top-drawer teams, as it was at times in Euro, especially in OTP when everyone is sprinting like mad...
Can you put the edits in bold or another color por favor?

# 29 therizing02 @ 09/11/08 03:37 PM
Not really much to add to what Q said because he's pretty much spot on. We did have a chance to chat online and agreed that the game plays a little bit "sloppier" this year...in a good way. Gone are the easy man to man pinball passing. Even the CPU now makes bad passes. The CPU pass percentages were in the 70s in the games I've been playing.

I use Manual passing, crossing, and through balls so it's a bit tougher for me. If the play continues to be this difficult I may be able to go 15 minute matches this year. I tried it in 08 and more often than not the number of shots were too high.

Another thing that I really like are the different playing styles of the team. As I expected, no two games will be alike, which will give the game even more longevity than 08...if that's possible. Hell, Brian may log 1500 matches this year.

I really like the pre game match overlay that shows the tactics both teams will use. Additionally, if you press the Y button at the custom tactics screen, you'll get an in depth tutorial on what all of them mean.

Adjustable cameras are great!

10/14 can't get here quick enough.

# 30 all4isu @ 09/11/08 03:50 PM
I know the hype machine is in full force right now but this game sounds incredible. Really can't wait to play some tonight.

# 31 BrianFifaFan @ 09/11/08 03:53 PM
I'm sold. Now I can send my console off knowing that I need to have it back in good working order so I can burn it up again playing Fifa for 100 days straight! This game is awesome. Played as Chelsea against Shaulke and AC Milan. Both went to penalties. Lost first, won last. A lot more movement and it's actually possible to miss! Only thing is the CPU shoots some stuff that is hard to gauge. It's like trying to hit a curveball. I'm kinda not liking the direction change on the ball. 08 kept the ball closer to your foot on direction changes. Now it kicks away and can lead to interceptions or dispossessions. I know it's more realistic. Just used to the other easier way... Overall, I'm totally digging this demo. Pro Cam seems to have been tuned better this year to be more responsive and keep all of the action within view. Now I just need to learn how to score on this game. All my old stuff is pretty much getting ate up by the keeper! Good stuff.. Brian

Microsoft hurry up and get my Box back to me!!!!!!!!

# 32 Qb @ 09/11/08 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Can you put the edits in bold or another color por favor?
At this point, I don't know what was originally posted and later added by editing. I was just kind of adding stuff as I was playing since the games are so short. Sorry dude, but I'll keep that in mind if I post more stuff later...

# 33 Mad 69 @ 09/11/08 04:45 PM
The demo plays just like EURO 08. More responsive in every way compared to FIFA 08. The question is do I trade NHL 09 in for FIFA 09? I don't think I will be playing much of anything else once FIFA 09 is released.

# 34 sportsdude @ 09/11/08 04:49 PM
just played three games, and I've got to say the game's looking pretty good so far.

I was on the receiving end of about 7-8 free kicks across those three games. The new animations are sweet, the new jostling and battling for headers is sweet. Custom tactics, thank you EA for that. I love how the CPU is good about exploiting weaknesses in your formation. I brought my RB up to try and get the ball back so sure enough the cpu ran into that space, played the ball over top and got a good shot on goal.

Only goal I scored came on a penalty kick in my first game. I was running in the box about ready to pass it back for a shot and the CPU and my guy were jostling, we both went to the ground and their guy got called for a yellow card. I drilled the penalty for my only goal of the three games. but I'm not concerned about the lack of scoring on my end yet as the same thing happened to me with the Euro 08 and FIFA 08 demos as well.

Oh and the speed was right on. I no longer have reservations about the speed, looks like it'll be fine.

# 35 spartansocc12 @ 09/11/08 04:52 PM
Man, this is the most blown away I have been since the first time I picked up winning eleven all those years back. If that is the day that completely converted me to WE, I anticipate that the release date in October will completely convert me back to FIFA. What I mean by that is I probably will not be getting WE for the first time in many years as I feel that FIFA if the demo is any indication eclipses winning eleven in every way. I really am that blow away. After reconfiguring the control to WE controls, I kept having to pause the game because I just could not believe that this was FIFA. For the most part, this is the next gen game that I anticipated Konami coming out with not EA. It just reminds me so much of WE9 actually.

After playing 25 demo games I have a few impressions

Offense:
Shooting is incredible as shots will rise starting out low as it starts inching close to the net only to see it go too high. This is unlike 08 where I felt that I knew the shot was high immediately. In this case its awesome to see a shot look great and for that split second you feel excited hopeful only to be let down as it kept rising. Great stuff! Shooting isn't necessarily easier, since I was not able to score from distance, but you feel like with enough space you will score. The computer did store a rocket from just inside the box, where drogba layed it off after skying to trap it, only to have Malouda one time it with a fierce shot .

Ground passing:
Passing on semi or manual is incredible. Passing will miss but you will connect with better players. This is where the difference in quality is most apparent. Playing as Real, I was not always able to connect, but more often then not I did and when making correct reads as your players ACTUALLY move to you for the ball rather then run away from it, great combination play happened.

Crossing, aerial passing:
When playing as Real, ground passing was the way I played due to the quickness and personal control I felt the players portrayed. I tried to play the same way with Chelsea, and it was not as successful as more of my passes strayed. Instead, I decided to play the ball as fast as I could making long passes. My goal was to complete 3-5 passes and shooting as soon as I was close enough. WOW... This worked wonders. Playing against Madrid, I felt that all my players were much stronger, winning most balls in the air. I would play it with my CB out wide and just run until trapped and hit it either quickly in the middle on the ground for an aerial pass switch or just play it immediately in the air near the oppositions box. This stragety worked wonders because I was able to lay off a lot of passes either using my head or trapping and using my feet. I cant stress how great the moment is in this game as many of my lay offs found on coming players where then I would either pass it off quickly or shoot right away. I tried this same style with Real with no luck. Their players just did not seem as good in the air and were not strong enough to win the second ball.

AI:
As mentioned, I used each team differently playing to their strengths. The computer did the same thing. I actually ripped off the comps style of play with Chelsea that is why I switched over to the quick aerial attack.
In the demo:

Real are a quick ground passing team completing many passes in a controlled way
Chelsea are a team that would build up using few passes often trying to hit Drogba long having him hold up the ball and pass it off

AC Milan are a defensive team with a lot of skill who were very good at clogging the middle of the field making it very difficult to complete interior passes against. Usually played the ball on the ground but not in the same way Real. I felt that the comp built up their play slower

Schalke: Tough, very strong, defensive unit who overpowered me at times but I managed to get behind them as they did not see to have the same pace as the other teams. Used long balls to lead to goal opportunties.

NY RB: They just were not that good managed 60% possession. If the demo was longer I would have slowed down my attacks and probably ended up with 70% of the ball.

Defense:
Slide tackling is GREAT. Holding the jockey down and then timing a slide tackle never felt more fun. My players reacted very well to where I was moving my player to close down the opposition. This is much improved over 08 where I felt my best strategy was to pressure holding down both first and second defender buttons. In 09 it did entirely depend on who I was playing. If real played the ball in the air and I was chelsea it was not very difficult to defend. But when they would play it on the ground, I tried not to pressure too much and would wait for their move and I found that my players intercepted and closed down really well.

Heading and the physical element of the game really cannot be put into words as I think this could be the biggest improvement. It just feels so rewarding to be able to play a certain style and win and then play a completely different style and win that way too. This I believe is due to this element of the game. Chelsea were just so much stronger then Real, they were also more aggressive in winning headers. You just need to play the game to really know what I am talking about.

Yes calling that the biggest upgrade by no means is a knock on the overall improvement on the responsiveness of the game. This was my biggest complaint with 08. The responsiveness like this is something that I feel was always the strength of winning eleven over FIFA. Well, that just is not the case anymore. The days of making a long pass only to have my players slowly react and run back to have the computer intercept it are long gone. Passing is so fluid now that when my attack is looking to receive the ball, once the pass is made I can control just how fast I want him to run towards it. Finally the feeling of being stuck in mud is gone!

If Konami thinks they can just release an upgrade of 2008 then they are sadly mistaken as FIFA has improved far beyond what any soccer game to this point has had to offer. Yes, I know it is just the demo, but unless the game digresses drastically from this build, Konami has a lot to worry about.

This month is going to go very slowly as the 2 minute halves in the demo are killing me.

PS. Can you adjust the camera in the demo? I tried and was unable to.

# 36 JRod @ 09/11/08 04:53 PM
Qb had some good impression but let me make one clear point.

The controls have taken a step back from UEFA EURO. I wouldn't say they are sluggish or unresponsive but they are more like FIFA 08 than PES or EURO.

It bothers me after playing EURO and hot that game felt.

Turns and movement don't feel as fluid as they should be. It's not that the players feel heavy of 'weighty' but just a lag in control and quickness. Now I don't expect it to be like Konami where 180 degree change was an exploit to get seperation.

I hope they address this a little better in the final version.

# 37 JRod @ 09/11/08 04:53 PM
Double post.

# 38 BrianFifaFan @ 09/11/08 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Qb had some good impression but let me make one clear point.

The controls have taken a step back from UEFA EURO. I wouldn't say they are sluggish or unresponsive but they are more like FIFA 08 than PES or EURO.

It bothers me after playing EURO and hot that game felt.

Turns and movement don't feel as fluid as they should be. It's not that the players feel heavy of 'weighty' but just a lag in control and quickness. Now I don't expect it to be like Konami where 180 degree change was an exploit to get seperation.

I hope they address this a little better in the final version.
I have a feeling that its a ratings issue again. Everyone on EURO was an all-star with high ratings, so the game was fast and smooth. Just like Fifa08 these guys don't feel as "crisp" as I think they should. I can see how they rate them a little low so Man Mode wouldn't be all super players, but this kinda messes up online as the guys are semi-dumb on the default ratings. I gripe about the ratings being whack because, even on Fifa08 you could tell a night and day difference between my Man Mode team after 12 seasons and the default online rosters. It made it almost unplayable. I'm looking forward to building up my Devils again and having some mad fun in Man Mode. This game is gonna be awesome! Brian

# 39 JRod @ 09/11/08 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I have a feeling that its a ratings issue again. Everyone on EURO was an all-star with high ratings, so the game was fast and smooth. Just like Fifa08 these guys don't feel as "crisp" as I think they should. I can see how they rate them a little low so Man Mode wouldn't be all super players, but this kinda messes up online as the guys are semi-dumb on the default ratings. I gripe about the ratings being whack because, even on Fifa08 you could tell a night and day difference between my Man Mode team after 12 seasons and the default online rosters. It made it almost unplayable. I'm looking forward to building up my Devils again and having some mad fun in Man Mode. This game is gonna be awesome! Brian
No it's not ratings. It has to do with input and the reaction on the field. I'll get used to it but it's not as silky as EURO.

# 40 Altimus @ 09/11/08 05:19 PM
Downloading right now, can't wait!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.