Home
News Post

The FIFA Soccer 09 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 03:21 PM
You guys gotta start capturing some goals and stuff like that to put up. I'm dying as my 360 is somewhere in Tennessee right now!

# 102 callmetaternuts @ 09/12/08 03:29 PM
Since i have zero access to a 360 for a few days, how is it compared to every other EA soccer title with the suction passing, or not letting you take control and run into open area or run onto passes? I played UEFA 08 a good bit and had a hard time with a few things

1) When a pass would be coming to me, it would lock me into an animation series that you cant ge tout of and cant run onto the ball or attack it
2) The CPU doing ridiculous clears that happen to land at the feet of one of their attackers
3) Not being able to win a freaking header
4) Double teaming a CPU striker in the box with him still winning the header

Any thoughts on these with FIFA?

# 103 Pared @ 09/12/08 03:32 PM
This is much better and looser than UEFA. That lock thing you're referring to is very very minimal.

# 104 Qb @ 09/12/08 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
the atmosphere in the shootout is AMAZING.
Yup. Euro was pretty darn good, but this seems even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman11
Caught some corner netting on a curling penalty - woot
I've noticed that it's easier to place the finesse PKs (makes sense, but I think this is improved from 08). Unless it was a really highly PK shooter, it's hard to pick the corners with the driven ones.

Also, I think finesse shots in the run of play are much improved and more useful. I've scored some beauties messing around in the arena, but I rarely think to try it in the game. I'll have to find someone with the "finesse shot" trait and give it a go later if I can remember to do it...

# 105 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 04:32 PM
For the PC guys, the PC demo is available:http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB...ch+and+link+GB

I'm gonna give it a whirl, seeing as I'm dying here.

# 106 Altimus @ 09/12/08 05:01 PM
Absolutely loved the demo and I can't wait till October!

The gameplay seems a lot smoother than UEFA and not forced with some of the moves/interactions.

Trick plays seem a lot more fluid, maybe it's just me.

Quick goalie throws; finally! Last year when you tried to get a quick throw in with your goalie, it wouldn't work. He would slowly get up, and move around and than throw it. Now of a quick shot you can throw it in for a quick counter attack.

First EA title to support full 1080p support on the PS3. Thank you EA.

I also noticed there wasn't as many cut scenes as in UEFA. Hopefully this is because this is a demo. I enjoyed seeing the interactions between players in the last game.

All in all, can't wait for FIFA 09!

# 107 Bahnzo @ 09/12/08 05:17 PM
Alright, after playing for a couple days, I've now decided that I hate this demo!.

2 mins is such a tease, I just wind up being frustrated playing a great game and then it's over way too quick. Bastards!

# 108 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Alright, after playing for a couple days, I've now decided that I hate this demo!.

2 mins is such a tease, I just wind up being frustrated playing a great game and then it's over way too quick. Bastards!
That's what I was thinking yesterday. Another thing I'm liking about the demo is that it seems like it's really hard to score quickly. That bodes well for the full game. But it does kinda suck for the demo, as you hardly ever score. Well, I only played about 8 matches total, so thatwas my experience. How many goals have you scored Bahnzo?

# 109 emc12 @ 09/12/08 05:31 PM
i havent scored a goal in the demo and ive played like 20 matches im playing on world class with everything manual except shooting its on semi, does anyone
else think the passing is messed up with manual i liked it better on 08 it seems
you had more control over where you passed the ball

# 110 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc12
i havent scored a goal in the demo and ive played like 20 matches im playing on world class with everything manual except shooting its on semi, does anyone
else think the passing is messed up with manual i liked it better on 08 it seems
you had more control over where you passed the ball
I don't mind the passing in manual on the demo. The whole game this year just feels more "free." I actually like that passes are less perfect this year. It'll make it more back and forth, more realistic.

# 111 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 05:39 PM
Real quick impression of the PC demo. Real nice front end. Graphics are better than ever before, but the players are really herky-jerk and not responsive. But you can tell they worked on ball physics and graphics. AI seems a little smarter, as well. But still not NG level, not close. Brian

# 112 mdbussen @ 09/12/08 05:41 PM
As a PES fan, I'm really impressed with the FIFA 09 demo. The gameplay speed seems just right to me and the responsiveness of the controls have been improved (though still not quite equal to PES IMO).

PROS

- Graphics look fantastic. Previous FIFA efforts all had good graphics but also had an annoying "shimmery" look and the player models were all very stocky and cro-magnon looking. The models and faces all look very good in the demo and the animations, while sometime not as fluid as I would like, look very good.

- The shooting mechanics/physics are fantastic. I used to see ridiculous shots from distance where players would generate stupid power from goofy angles or when facing the wrong way, etc. Or, in 07, the shots were all "floaty" and it was impossible to rip a nice shot on goal and beat the keeper! The shooting in the demo was realistic and very impressive.

- Compared to previous FIFA games, it felt like the space in midfield was reduced. I think that this is also the case in EURO but I'm comparing it to 07 and previous games, where it seemed like the players were too spread out in the pitch and there was tons of space in midfield. Now you really have to work the ball around and make quick passes to keep it away from the opponent as opposed to picking it up in your own half and dribbling it for awhile without anybody closing you down.

CONS

- Demo froze at least 4 times on my Xbox causing me to restart I saw that at least one other person had this problem, so it's not just me. Clearly this is unacceptable in the full release of the game but I'm not too worried.

- Curl on freekicks is RIDICULOUS. If they maybe halved the amount of curl you could put on the ball it would be more realistic. Did score a great freekick with Robert of Toronto FC to beat Chelsea though

Still have to play the demo more to decide if I will buy FIFA but it is looking like a purchase for me so far!

# 113 emc12 @ 09/12/08 05:59 PM
yea its still not there with pes gameplay wise the freekicks look very exaggerated when you take them but when you watch a replay they look
pretty nice, im hoping pes09 will beback at its best will have two great soccer
games to switch on this year

# 114 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbussen
As a PES fan, I'm really impressed with the FIFA 09 demo. The gameplay speed seems just right to me and the responsiveness of the controls have been improved (though still not quite equal to PES IMO).

PROS

- Graphics look fantastic. Previous FIFA efforts all had good graphics but also had an annoying "shimmery" look and the player models were all very stocky and cro-magnon looking. The models and faces all look very good in the demo and the animations, while sometime not as fluid as I would like, look very good.

- The shooting mechanics/physics are fantastic. I used to see ridiculous shots from distance where players would generate stupid power from goofy angles or when facing the wrong way, etc. Or, in 07, the shots were all "floaty" and it was impossible to rip a nice shot on goal and beat the keeper! The shooting in the demo was realistic and very impressive.

- Compared to previous FIFA games, it felt like the space in midfield was reduced. I think that this is also the case in EURO but I'm comparing it to 07 and previous games, where it seemed like the players were too spread out in the pitch and there was tons of space in midfield. Now you really have to work the ball around and make quick passes to keep it away from the opponent as opposed to picking it up in your own half and dribbling it for awhile without anybody closing you down.

CONS

- Demo froze at least 4 times on my Xbox causing me to restart I saw that at least one other person had this problem, so it's not just me. Clearly this is unacceptable in the full release of the game but I'm not too worried.

- Curl on freekicks is RIDICULOUS. If they maybe halved the amount of curl you could put on the ball it would be more realistic. Did score a great freekick with Robert of Toronto FC to beat Chelsea though

Still have to play the demo more to decide if I will buy FIFA but it is looking like a purchase for me so far!
Great impressions. Especially from a PES-lover. You should read the info on Fifa Soccer Blog. Suffwan, who went with Therizing up to EA Canada played the latest preview today or yesterday. He said the game is even better than the demo and Lepzig builds. Improved graphics and even more responsiveness. We'll be seeing you on the Fifa Boards a lot more I hope?

# 115 mdbussen @ 09/12/08 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Great impressions. Especially from a PES-lover. You should read the info on Fifa Soccer Blog. Suffwan, who went with Therizing up to EA Canada played the latest preview today or yesterday. He said the game is even better than the demo and Lepzig builds. Improved graphics and even more responsiveness.
Yeah I've been reading that blog along with their WE blog. Good stuff

Quote:
We'll be seeing you on the Fifa Boards a lot more I hope?
Let's not go too far now!!!

# 116 BrianFifaFan @ 09/12/08 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbussen
Yeah I've been reading that blog along with their WE blog. Good stuff

Let's not go too far now!!!
Cynic! LOL

# 117 thekavorka @ 09/12/08 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Since i have zero access to a 360 for a few days, how is it compared to every other EA soccer title with the suction passing, or not letting you take control and run into open area or run onto passes? I played UEFA 08 a good bit and had a hard time with a few things

1) When a pass would be coming to me, it would lock me into an animation series that you cant ge tout of and cant run onto the ball or attack it
2) The CPU doing ridiculous clears that happen to land at the feet of one of their attackers
3) Not being able to win a freaking header
4) Double teaming a CPU striker in the box with him still winning the header

Any thoughts on these with FIFA?
1) In Euro, did you try canceling (LT + RT on 360)?

2) This is still a problem for me. This is one of my biggest gripes with Euro and the Fifa 09 demo. But they did lessen it. You'll see the AI clear more out of bounds.

3) Did you try "jostling"? I believe it was "hold LT when the ball is in the air" to get a better position for the header and sort of box out the other guy. I think they failed to mention that in the Euro manual.

# 118 devilsjaw @ 09/12/08 07:15 PM
Finally got around to playing this, and it's pretty damn sweet! LOVE the atmosphere in the stadium, and during penalty shootouts, but what's with the cpu GK? He never dove to attempt to block any of my PK's!?!?!

Anyway, the passing is much more fluid this year, and unpredictable, and I'm loving the way players go up for headers now. Feels very realstic. I even had Lampard whiff on a volley! Never seen that before in past FIFA's.

One small bad thing, it stilll seems that too many cards are given out on fouls, at least to me. I hope this is toned down a little in the final version. All in all, very impressed so far!

# 119 Bahnzo @ 09/12/08 08:25 PM
Quote:
so thatwas my experience. How many goals have you scored Bahnzo?
I have no idea, maybe 5-6 in the games I've played. Enough to play with the celebrations! But I've only given up two goals...both to Toronto FC, and both blasts from outside the box...spectacular goals both of them. Which is another thing.....I've noticed that with the right player you can scream some long range goals much easier this year.

# 120 Bahnzo @ 09/12/08 08:27 PM
Quote:
I don't mind the passing in manual on the demo. The whole game this year just feels more "free." I actually like that passes are less perfect this year. It'll make it more back and forth, more realistic.
BTW you guys do know you can change the passing, etc in the demo also right? I've been playing with manual passing, but it's much more sensitive this year, I'm guessing due to the overall improved controls.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.