Home
News Post

The FIFA Soccer 09 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 spartansocc12 @ 09/12/08 08:28 PM
Is it just more is it very difficult to go back and play FIFA 08 after playing the demo. I just cannot get myself back into it. I have EURO and PES and all I keep doing is going back to the demo, which is VERY frustrating since its only 2 min halves. I kind of wish I had not played it...

# 122 emc12 @ 09/12/08 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
BTW you guys do know you can change the passing, etc in the demo also right? I've been playing with manual passing, but it's much more sensitive this year, I'm guessing due to the overall improved controls.
yea its way to sensitive i hope they sort it out on the retail version

# 123 Bamtino @ 09/12/08 10:00 PM
Just got around to trying out the demo...

The graphics are the best i have ever seen in a soccer game...I also love the atmosphere and that little mini game with Ronaldinho...I was playing on PS3 and the framerate is rock solid which is a plus for me...The controls are a little clunky for my tastes but after you get used to it its no big deal...I like the flow of the game, it feels like a soccer sim...The ref gives out plenty of cards on bad sliding tackles but outside of that foul calls aren't too frequent...Passing is also fluent and the goalies are challenging...

That said the gameplay in this demo overall felt pretty sloppy...Ball control and dribbling seems to be way too loose and i was getting a little delay when passing...Also why does the AI play so loose? My guys NEVER intercept a pass and are constantly just letting the opposition blow right passed them...I haven't played FIFA since the SNES days so i could be doing something wrong...Either way I hope there is a slider so we can adjust the AI's aggressiveness...

Overall i was impressed but not as much as i thought i would be...Hopefully the official release is more polished...

# 124 Krebstar @ 09/12/08 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtino
Just got around to trying out the demo...

The graphics are the best i have ever seen in a soccer game...I also love the atmosphere and that little mini game with Ronaldinho...I was playing on PS3 and the framerate is rock solid which is a plus for me...The controls are a little clunky for my tastes but after you get used to it its no big deal...I like the flow of the game, it feels like a soccer sim...The ref gives out plenty of cards on bad sliding tackles but outside of that foul calls aren't too frequent...Passing is also fluent and the goalies are challenging...

That said the gameplay in this demo overall felt pretty sloppy...Ball control and dribbling seems to be way too loose and i was getting a little delay when passing...Also why does the AI play so loose? My guys NEVER intercept a pass and are constantly just letting the opposition blow right passed them...I haven't played FIFA since the SNES days so i could be doing something wrong...Either way I hope there is a slider so we can adjust the AI's aggressiveness...

Overall i was impressed but not as much as i thought i would be...Hopefully the official release is more polished...
Some of the sloppiness you speak of, if it's what I think you're referring to, is a good thing. Gone are the days of a ball sticking to players feet, and the days are here when it resembles real life even more.

# 125 demencia_total @ 09/13/08 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekey55
Unfortunately, it doesnt feel like setting the game speed to slow made any difference whatsoever....hopefully this will fixed in the final version.
There is a difference, but it's very subtle. I kept switching back and forth a few times from medium to low speed, and I kept noticing that the speed in which my players move did change a tad. I specially noticed when controlling a slow but strong guy like Drogba, he felt a lot heavier in the the slow setting, which isn't a bad thing. Haven't given fast a try, but I think there is a difference, albeit, a very small one.

# 126 demencia_total @ 09/13/08 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
Some of the sloppiness you speak of, if it's what I think you're referring to, is a good thing. Gone are the days of a ball sticking to players feet, and the days are here when it resembles real life even more.
Indeed, this is a good thing. During my first games in the demo I felt like I couldn't handle my player as well as I did in 08 and PES, but once you get the handle of how it responds from player to player, it is incredibly crisp and dribbling feels more natural and magnetic. Sometimes there is a slight delay from when you press the pass or shoot button, but it seems to be in cases where you are dribbling fast in a direction and the ball is ahead of your player's reach for a split second. Once your player is within reasonable reach of the ball, they pass and shoot as they should, so it doesn't seem to be the nightmare of unresponsiveness that plagued 08.

Before I forget, I want to add that I'm happy that it seems like the midfield FINALLY has opened up. I would say that at the very least half of my attacks come from the middle. The AI closes the wings pretty well now, so when I try and take an angle and run past them, they close down and tackle the ball away or foul, which is encouraging. It seems that no longer I can just take a speedy player and run past everyone in the wings and then cross to the middle without a challenge from the defence. To me, this was one of the major gripes I had about FIFA and PES 08, because basically you could just take any player with speed and create havoc on the wings because the defenders would just bunch up in the middle and refuse to close down wide in time. Even when you were shifting defenders, they would always sag to the middle if you switched to another defender for a second.

The spacing seems to be a lot better, and the players trying to actively take open spaces while the defense tries to keep you honest is very encouraging for me. This will be my first day one FIFA purchase ever, and I can honestly say that I'm not missing PES one bit. Unless PES makes a HUGE jump this year, I don't think I'll be changing back for the foreseeable future.

# 127 Spanky @ 09/13/08 01:48 AM
My one-month free gold trial membership expired literally hours before this demo was released. I simply created another profile/gamertag with a different e-mail address and signed up for a silver account. It gave me another one-month free gold membership. Now I don't have to wait a few more days before they release this demo to silver account holders. It's downloading now. Man, I love sticking it to EA.

# 128 Bahnzo @ 09/13/08 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Man, I love sticking it to EA.
And you are doing that how? It's XBL that controls the gold/silver and you only get 3 accounts per xbox that get a month free of Live.

# 129 calcutta @ 09/13/08 05:01 AM
Overall, i'm really loving the demo in the same way as most people have described too (more difficult manual passing, improved aerial play, fouls getting called and actually attracting cards) and even other things like players calling for the ball or appealling for offside as well as the addition of the ref (and the ball can't even hit him!) and his assistants.

My main gripe is in regards to passing, and is something we've seen in past FIFA's. Here's a diagram

For some reason, despite the fact i was clearly passing to Blue player #2 in the first image, the player cursor auto-switched to player #3 instead, and #2 was then CPU-controlled, and he ran away from the ball! By the time i had manually swtich to my intended receiver #2, the opposition player had pretty much retrieved the loose ball.

My player switching slider is set to one click from the right BTW, so surely that is part of the problem. I prefer this setting because when its totally off, winning aerial balls becomes an issue because i have to manually switch to the player first, and that delay can often mean losing out on a contested header due to a lack of position. The issue pictured hasn't happened that much in my 6 or so games, but it can be a big issue depending on where it occurs on the field (in this case it was just inside my own half), as its unnecessarily giving up possession when the pass isn't that difficult to begin with. The other thing is that my pass settings are both on Manual, but considering the ball landed almost exactly where the intended receiver was at the time, i don't think that should be a problem...or if it is, then thats an issue that needs to be sorted before release.

# 130 Vince @ 09/13/08 08:42 AM
Delayed Bookings!!!!!!

It's so easy to pull off moves with great players. Last year it was useless doing the trick moves because you couldn't get out of the animations.

I simply cannot wait for this game to come out. I'm anticipating it more than I did NHL.

# 131 Spanky @ 09/13/08 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
And you are doing that how? It's XBL that controls the gold/silver and you only get 3 accounts per xbox that get a month free of Live.

In that case, I love sticking it to M$.

Man, don't deny me my joy of sticking it someone!

# 132 teambayern @ 09/13/08 01:19 PM
Has anyone had a corner in stoppage time down a goal? You are in for an amazing treat. . .

# 133 Tomasperez9 @ 09/13/08 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
Has anyone had a corner in stoppage time down a goal? You are in for an amazing treat. . .
Wow. That is possibly the coolest addition I've seen yet. Not necessarily the most practical, but by far the coolest.

# 134 BrianFifaFan @ 09/13/08 02:01 PM
Please elaborate. I'd hope that info wouldn't be considered a "spoiler."

# 135 BrianFifaFan @ 09/13/08 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
Overall, i'm really loving the demo in the same way as most people have described too (more difficult manual passing, improved aerial play, fouls getting called and actually attracting cards) and even other things like players calling for the ball or appealling for offside as well as the addition of the ref (and the ball can't even hit him!) and his assistants.

My main gripe is in regards to passing, and is something we've seen in past FIFA's. Here's a diagram

For some reason, despite the fact i was clearly passing to Blue player #2 in the first image, the player cursor auto-switched to player #3 instead, and #2 was then CPU-controlled, and he ran away from the ball! By the time i had manually swtich to my intended receiver #2, the opposition player had pretty much retrieved the loose ball.

My player switching slider is set to one click from the right BTW, so surely that is part of the problem. I prefer this setting because when its totally off, winning aerial balls becomes an issue because i have to manually switch to the player first, and that delay can often mean losing out on a contested header due to a lack of position. The issue pictured hasn't happened that much in my 6 or so games, but it can be a big issue depending on where it occurs on the field (in this case it was just inside my own half), as its unnecessarily giving up possession when the pass isn't that difficult to begin with. The other thing is that my pass settings are both on Manual, but considering the ball landed almost exactly where the intended receiver was at the time, i don't think that should be a problem...or if it is, then thats an issue that needs to be sorted before release.
Did you manually use the LB to switch to the man as the ball was in the air or let the auto switch do it? Oh,BTW, Haha......

# 136 Tomasperez9 @ 09/13/08 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Please elaborate. I'd hope that info wouldn't be considered a "spoiler."
Well, I hate to disappoint, but it only happened one of two times, so it may not be an every time occurrence. However, here it is:
The first thing you see is the corner-kick taker (in this case Deco) lineup the ball quickly and hurry back to get ready. Then, after a quick switch to bring on an attacker (Soloman Kalou) for Boswinga, the game cuts to a cutscene where you see Petr Cech sprint the full pitch and get positioned in the box. He then stays in the box for the set piece (which in my case was headed out), and then stays on the attack until the final whistle blows. That was awesome.

# 137 Qb @ 09/13/08 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc12
yea its way to sensitive i hope they sort it out on the retail version
That's sort of the whole point of manual passing -- the ball goes where you tell it to. If you don't like the unpredictability, try SEMI pass assist. I've been using it the majority time in the demo and it works just how it should. Not as 'wild' as manual, but you still have some freedom in direction/power and will make off-target passes, especially if you're under pressure or in an awkward position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
You dudes are curling it too much...don't push it too far to the left (or right, depending on your player's foot or which way you want to kick). Results will happen.
So pushing the L-stick to 9 o'clock produces a more dramatic curl than 10 or 11 o'clock? That's sweet and thanks for the tip!

# 138 J-Unit40 @ 09/13/08 03:22 PM
I absolutely love how you can adjust every camera angle to your liking. Great addition on top of all of the other additions/tweaking to this game.

I only wish football (American) games would include this (NCAA and Madden). I think they may for next year, but after seeing this game, it's a must.

# 139 BrianFifaFan @ 09/13/08 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasperez9
Well, I hate to disappoint, but it only happened one of two times, so it may not be an every time occurrence. However, here it is:
The first thing you see is the corner-kick taker (in this case Deco) lineup the ball quickly and hurry back to get ready. Then, after a quick switch to bring on an attacker (Soloman Kalou) for Boswinga, the game cuts to a cutscene where you see Petr Cech sprint the full pitch and get positioned in the box. He then stays in the box for the set piece (which in my case was headed out), and then stays on the attack until the final whistle blows. That was awesome.
Cool. David Rutter had said that GK would automatically come up in attack in late game situations. I'm sure I'll have a few times being behind a goal at the end of the match this year!

# 140 Bahnzo @ 09/13/08 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
That's sort of the whole point of manual passing -- the ball goes where you tell it to.
It's not an issue with direction, but the power of the pass. And I don't think it's really so much of an issue as it is getting used to the quickness of the meter. It's kinda like PES/WE is with shooting; you have to really just "nick" the button to get a small amount of power. And now that I think about it, shooting is the same way this year...it's hard to get just a little bit on the shot to keep it low.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.