Home
News Post

The FIFA Soccer 09 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 sva91 @ 09/13/08 06:18 PM
Had the Demo for a couple of days and I am loving the gameplay. It is soo much more fun than last years game. It really is a cross between the old PES and next gen Fifa, just a great game all around.

Only minor gripe, the graphics dont look as detailed as last year. The colors look to bright, and the detail on the players isnt really there, granted the player models look much better, but from the Tele cam the game doesnt look as good as last year. Hopefully the retail version will have improved graphics.

# 142 Krebstar @ 09/13/08 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sva91
Had the Demo for a couple of days and I am loving the gameplay. It is soo much more fun than last years game. It really is a cross between the old PES and next gen Fifa, just a great game all around.

Only minor gripe, the graphics dont look as detailed as last year. The colors look to bright, and the detail on the players isnt really there, granted the player models look much better, but from the Tele cam the game doesnt look as good as last year. Hopefully the retail version will have improved graphics.
It seems like it's always going to be a trade off. Last year, it was almost too much detail. Too many wrinkles on the shirts, etc. This year, it's taken away and we get beautiful player models. Same thing happened in transition from NCAA 07 to 08. Too much detail, to the point of it looking weird, to nicer player models. Personally, I'll take the player models over detail, but it can be a toss up for some and both would be fine.

# 143 emc12 @ 09/13/08 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
It's not an issue with direction, but the power of the pass. And I don't think it's really so much of an issue as it is getting used to the quickness of the meter. It's kinda like PES/WE is with shooting; you have to really just "nick" the button to get a small amount of power. And now that I think about it, shooting is the same way this year...it's hard to get just a little bit on the shot to keep it low.
yea Bahnzo knows what im talking about its not an issue with the direction of the pass its like if i want to pass it to a player whos is really close to me ill tap the A button be ill make a normal pass not a little tap pass

# 144 Acid @ 09/13/08 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
You dudes are curling it too much.

After experimenting all morning and just scoring now, I found out why the massive curves.

I was putting the ball just outside/left the penalty area and then trying it 10 feet and sometimes a little more outside/left the penalty area.

You get massive curling because you are pushing the L stick too far to the left on the top spin. That's when the ball switches directions like you're using the Force on it.

I, then, tried it from the same spots but pushing the L stick way close to the top. And then in between. The curl lessened dramatically. And That is when I was way more accurate with my free kicks.

So next time, guys...don't push it too far to the left (or right, depending on your player's foot or which way you want to kick). Results will happen.
Yeah, I noticed that the other day.

I guess that makes free kicks more difficult, because I was able to score almost 75% of the FKs I took.

Now I'll have to focus on the pressure I'm putting on the left stick.

# 145 colkilla @ 09/13/08 09:20 PM
man, i am living this game. with the broadcast cam zoomed out a bit it looks just like you are controlling a live match. the atmosphere is good as well. i cannot wait for release. btw, what is the official date?

# 146 Tomasperez9 @ 09/13/08 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colkilla
man, i am living this game. with the broadcast cam zoomed out a bit it looks just like you are controlling a live match. the atmosphere is good as well. i cannot wait for release. btw, what is the official date?
October 14th in North America. October 3rd in Europe.
On a different note, when you call for a second player on free kicks, how do you have that player lay the ball off?

# 147 Spanky @ 09/13/08 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sva91
I didn't buy last year's game, but one thing I noticed was the difference in the details on the kits from this demo and the UEFA demo. Maybe it was because the UEFA demo games I played were all in the rain, but the kits seemed more detailed and sharper looking. Is that an accurate observation, for those who played it often?

# 148 Qb @ 09/13/08 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc12
yea Bahnzo knows what im talking about its not an issue with the direction of the pass its like if i want to pass it to a player whos is really close to me ill tap the A button be ill make a normal pass not a little tap pass
My mistake, I misunderstood your statement. I haven't used manual ground passing enough in the demo to notice any power/speed issues. In fact, I've barely gone back to it after playing it for several hours on Thursday as I've been playing a lot of NHL 09. Maybe I'll give it a run tonight...

# 149 JRod @ 09/13/08 11:55 PM
My minor quibble I have with the game, and it might mean we will have to edit the team-style sliders, is that that it's all too easy retain possession and CPU doesn't do enough build up.

On the highest demo level, with Chelsea or Real against Real/Chelsea I can dominate possession just playing soccer. I wish the CPU teams would kick the ball back and not always force it up field.

# 150 BREWCREW1982 @ 09/14/08 12:09 AM
Hands down the best soccer sim on the planet...I just downloaded it and played 3 games. The game is incredible and it plays so smooth and realistic. Fifa 08 played very well too, but overall you can tell this one is a step up in every way.

# 151 Henry123456 @ 09/14/08 12:28 AM
Is an amazing GAME! Great frame per second in the gameplay and many somethings i experience a little bit down frames in the replays, but i hope in the official version thats fix up in PS3.
Calification Graphics: 10 !
Gameplay: 10 !
Replays: 9!
Details: 10!
Online: N/A in the DEMO

# 152 BrianFifaFan @ 09/14/08 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
My minor quibble I have with the game, and it might mean we will have to edit the team-style sliders, is that that it's all too easy retain possession and CPU doesn't do enough build up.

On the highest demo level, with Chelsea or Real against Real/Chelsea I can dominate possession just playing soccer. I wish the CPU teams would kick the ball back and not always force it up field.
I know what you're saying. I only played a handful of matches on the demo, but it's still like the CPU is a "boss battle." Each squad has a style of play. You just have to figure out how to defeat it. On 08 it was the same way. Certain squads were scrappers and played super D until I got them down and then they went full out attack and I counter-attacked them to death. Blowout. Others that were highly offensively skilled would just try to aggressively attack and then I'd counter attack and if I beat them to the punch it was a blowout. I've read where David Rutter has said squads will adjust tactics, but I believe that was only at half. I'm waiting for another "liquid AI" that adjusts in real time on the fly. I want to have to pull the ball back myself and build an attack. 09 seems better, but still the CPU AI isn't variable enough to simulate a human's strategies. They continually change based on circumstances.

I'm not gonna pass final judgement until release. 2 minutes isn't enough time to see how the CPU will really play over a whole match. There's gotta be some type of coding that factors in time as a decison making factor on how to attack. But I'm not holding my breath by the same token. I'm thinking that there won't really be a "Big Blue" level of computer decision making. I think that gamers will be expected to face a human opponent to get that type of challenge, meaning an extraordinary amount of effort won't be spent on CPU AI because the human opponent will always be smarter and more organic. So the team will give the best game modes to try and encourage that type of play.

# 153 calcutta @ 09/14/08 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Did you manually use the LB to switch to the man as the ball was in the air or let the auto switch do it?
As soon as i pressed the lob pass button my cursor auto-switched to the guy on the sideline who was NOT the intended receiver. I pressed LB asap to switch to the intended receiver, who had already ran away from the area, and by the time i had control of him, the opposition player had pretty much retrieved the now loose ball.

# 154 BrianFifaFan @ 09/14/08 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
As soon as i pressed the lob pass button my cursor auto-switched to the guy on the sideline who was NOT the intended receiver. I pressed LB asap to switch to the intended receiver, who had already ran away from the area, and by the time i had control of him, the opposition player had pretty much retrieved the now loose ball.
That kind sucks. I've never really tried a lob over guys, I'm normally a "line of sight" passer. Very conservative. Well, you played 08 with it's non-existant through balls. You said you put the player switching to slow, right? When it was on default on 08 it seemed to always switch either too fast to the wrong guy or I'd be fighting to beat it to the punch with the LB. Slow switching did wonders for me. And you are on manual passing? I'm wondering if the RS will let you switch guys while the ball is out of possession. I can't try it out right now. Maybe that'll work.... I'll grant that the switching logic is half-********. I just adjust my game to cover for it........ Brian

# 155 mdbussen @ 09/14/08 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
You dudes are curling it too much.

After experimenting all morning and just scoring now, I found out why the massive curves.

I was putting the ball just outside/left the penalty area and then trying it 10 feet and sometimes a little more outside/left the penalty area.

You get massive curling because you are pushing the L stick too far to the left on the top spin. That's when the ball switches directions like you're using the Force on it.

I, then, tried it from the same spots but pushing the L stick way close to the top. And then in between. The curl lessened dramatically. And That is when I was way more accurate with my free kicks.

So next time, guys...don't push it too far to the left (or right, depending on your player's foot or which way you want to kick). Results will happen.
Errrr... the point is that it is physically impossible to curl a ball on a freekick that much with any kind of control. It's not that I CAN'T produce an accurate freekick; it's just that I SHOULDN'T be able to curl the ball as much as I am able to with any given player. It's unrealistic.

# 156 calcutta @ 09/14/08 01:27 AM
Quote:
That kind sucks. I've never really tried a lob over guys, I'm normally a "line of sight" passer. Very conservative. Well, you played 08 with it's non-existant through balls. You said you put the player switching to slow, right? When it was on default on 08 it seemed to always switch either too fast to the wrong guy or I'd be fighting to beat it to the punch with the LB. Slow switching did wonders for me. And you are on manual passing? I'm wondering if the RS will let you switch guys while the ball is out of possession. I can't try it out right now. Maybe that'll work.... I'll grant that the switching logic is half-********. I just adjust my game to cover for it........ Brian
All my controller settings are on Manual, except for shooting which is on Semi. My player switching slider is one click from the left. It happens on grounded passes too occasionally (the cursor automatically switches to a player who is further away from the ball than the intended receiver) but in those cases its easy too switch manually to the receiver and collect the pass, since there is usually no opposing player around.

---

One thing i'm enjoying is that i've had quite a few breakaways which is something i rarely had in any previous FIFAs against the CPU. I'm getting at least 1-2 clear breaks on goal during each game of the demo, so i can expect even more in the full game when i'll be playing my usual 8-10 minute halves. And this is playing on Pro too. I've just gotta start putting these chances away...

Has anyone noticed if central defenders come up in the box for corners by default, or if there are certain settings you have to change to make that happen? Looking through the settings that avilable to us in the demo , and those tactics which are greyed out, i don't think any of them would have a direct influence on calling certain players up for corners...I think one time playing as Real Madrid both Pepe and Sergio Ramos came up (it was difficult to tell, but i went to Replay mode and pressed RB to change targets and these two came straight after i targeted Casillas in goal as players in the box, so i'm assuming it was them) but when playing as Chelsea i noticed both Terry and Carvalho were still at the half way line.

I was really hoping FIFA would steal and even build upon PES's "Players to bring up option" so we can manually select players to be in the box. By 'build upon' i mean that i'd be keen to see other options like choosing who to stay back at the halfway, and being able to select as many players to brings up as possible, not just 3 choices like PES 08.

# 157 BrianFifaFan @ 09/14/08 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
All my controller settings are on Manual, except for shooting which is on Semi. My player switching slider is one click from the left. It happens on grounded passes too occasionally (the cursor automatically switches to a player who is further away from the ball than the intended receiver) but in those cases its easy too switch manually to the receiver and collect the pass, since there is usually no opposing player around.

---

One thing i'm enjoying is that i've had quite a few breakaways which is something i rarely had in any previous FIFAs against the CPU. I'm getting at least 1-2 clear breaks on goal during each game of the demo, so i can expect even more in the full game when i'll be playing my usual 8-10 minute halves. And this is playing on Pro too. I've just gotta start putting these chances away...

Has anyone noticed if central defenders come up in the box for corners by default, or if there are certain settings you have to change to make that happen? Looking through the settings that avilable to us in the demo , and those tactics which are greyed out, i don't think any of them would have a direct influence on calling certain players up for corners...I think one time playing as Real Madrid both Pepe and Sergio Ramos came up (it was difficult to tell, but i went to Replay mode and pressed RB to change targets and these two came straight after i targeted Casillas in goal as players in the box, so i'm assuming it was them) but when playing as Chelsea i noticed both Terry and Carvalho were still at the half way line.

I was really hoping FIFA would steal and even build upon PES's "Players to bring up option" so we can manually select players to be in the box. By 'build upon' i mean that i'd be keen to see other options like choosing who to stay back at the halfway, and being able to select as many players to brings up as possible, not just 3 choices like PES 08.
I miss how Fifa used to have the "off the ball" control. Now you just hit the RB and the game selects the closest man for a run. What I'd like to see is you hold the RB and it gives you the four closest guys with an icon above them like the basketball passing icons. You then hit the button and use the right stick to tell them in which direction to go. Release the RB and pass. Much more intuitive and gives a depth of control and variety in attacking options. I will say that the old "off the ball" control was very clunky and hard to pull off. I think the style I mentioned fits more in with the way the game controls now.

# 158 Vince @ 09/14/08 08:11 AM
Quote:
I miss how Fifa used to have the "off the ball" control. Now you just hit the RB and the game selects the closest man for a run. What I'd like to see is you hold the RB and it gives you the four closest guys with an icon above them like the basketball passing icons. You then hit the button and use the right stick to tell them in which direction to go. Release the RB and pass. Much more intuitive and gives a depth of control and variety in attacking options. I will say that the old "off the ball" control was very clunky and hard to pull off. I think the style I mentioned fits more in with the way the game controls now.
Have you played PES on the Wii?

The passing gives you so many options. It's really a true lead/area passing.

It's hard as **** though.

# 159 BrianFifaFan @ 09/14/08 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince

Nope. I'm a graphics ho' and like having 72 buttons to press. And I'd look real stupid flailing my arms around in my living room for the neighbors to see. LOL. Yeah Fifa PC has a mouse configuration where you can point and aim which seems like a knockoff of PES's scheme. Just not interactive enough for me. Plus, I'm a Pro Cam kinda guy. It wouldn't work with the point and pass model......

# 160 therizing02 @ 09/14/08 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince

FIFA 09 on the Wii has the same passing model. You're right, it's very difficult.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.