Home
News Post

The FIFA Soccer 09 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 09Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
FIFA Soccer 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 09/14/08 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Yeesh... That was a truly horrible bit of game programming in last year's game, and it hasn't been fixed? Looks like I'll be renting this title first.
Idk if that will cause me to rent the game as opposed to buying it, but it puzzles me how they haven't fixed it yet,

# 162 drjohnnyboy @ 09/14/08 11:43 AM
Guys, I'm trying to pull off dummies by using the RB button, but it seems it only responds to the command 20% of the time, even when the receiving player is facing the ball while it's coming to him. Does anyone else have that problem. It's a great addition to the gameplay when it does work.

A few pages back someone said they could not change the camera zoom or height in the demo, you can by changing the "default" camera setting to "custom" and then playing with the sliders.

# 163 EXboxur @ 09/14/08 04:30 PM
Things I noticed in the demo while playing on World Class (360):

Good:
* Ball hook and slice. Players seem to have a good idea of which part of their foot to strike the ball with. Kuranyi, for example, was to the right side of the goal, just outside the box and I struck the ball looking to go to the left (far) post. Well, Kuranyi struck the ball with his right foot, as that is where the ball was at the time, but he used the outside of his foot and the ball sliced wonderfully, just missing the left post. (I'm not talking about free kicks here.)

* Players movement into space and calling for ball. Having said that, players should still make diagonal runs or bend them a bit.

* Defenders react better.

* D-pad tactics are great.

* Refs and linesman. Finally!

* Keepers move quickly to distribute the ball.

* Dummy pass button.

* Collisions.

Bad:
* Game speed is too fast, even on the Slow setting. Not quite PES, but, errrr. (Yes, I know it can be adjusted and I KNOW it's not the final version, but I'm giving you my opinion.) I want some build up in MY play AND CPU play. The fact that the demo is only 2x2min does create a sense of urgency to move the ball upfield in a hurry too. EA messed up making the demo so short. It should've at least been 3x3 or 4x4 with option to turn penalites off.

* Midfield gets too ping-pongey.

* Lower star teams play like 5 star teams. (I'm looking at YOU Toronto).

* Players take too long to get passes off their feet. When you couple this with faster reacting defenders, you are left with about 0.0sec to pass the ball.

* Players take too long to control ball.

* Ball speed is too fast when shooting. Many times it looks as if my players are kicking those $1 rubber balls you get from Wal-Mart or the grocery store in those big bins. You know, the ones you throw at your little cousins head for a laugh.

* Ball is a bit floaty.

* Through balls. Assisted through balls are often placed poorly and manual through balls are either weighted too heavily or too lightly to be worthwhile. Euro 2008 had good (maybe too good) through balls.

* Passing direction seems a bit off at times. And I don't mean the pass isn't spot on. What I mean is (using the Tele cam), I'll intend to pass to a player who is at say 4 or 5 o'clock and the pass goes to a player at 3 o'clock. This doesn't ALWAYS happen, but happens just enough to be noticeable.

* Player switching is at times unresponsive or gives me a player who is pursuing the player on the ball as opposed to a player who is in a better position to cut off the player with the ball.

* Lots of balls hitting the post for me and not the CPU. Maybe I am just getting unlucky or maybe it's a case of magnet post. (I use semi for shooting just so you know.)

* Difficult moves like rainbow flick are still too easy to pull off, while step-overs are too difficult to pull off, especially from the Tele cam view.

* AI keepers distribute the ball pretty poorly, sometimes rolling the ball to a defender directly in front of them when a forward is right next to him.

Ugly:
* Glitchy delayed yellow card system. (This is perhaps a demo thing, but several CPU players received yellow cards when they didn't foul me or anybody else on my team. I saw the thread about this already and posted there. I know refs hold off on giving out cards so as not to disrupt play, but this is definitely a glitch related to that).

* Keepers punt the ball downfield into the backs of players several yards in front of them. I know it happens IRL, but if we are going to have these sorts of errors in the game, then we should also have players completely miss striking easy volleys, stepping on the ball and tripping when attempting to do tricks, or slipping when taking penalties (like Becks), etc.

-------________--------________---------________--------________-------

I know it's only a demo so I'll definitely hold off from passing final judgement on the game.

# 164 bucksfan07 @ 09/14/08 11:22 PM
Finally got around to down loading the demo and I'm pretty impressed so far. Looks like a day one purchase. You can tell they upped the graphics just from the demo compared to last year

# 165 funkysven @ 09/15/08 01:59 AM
im sorry if i have missed it. i have gone through all the pages. how do u dummy the ball through your legs on the PS3?

# 166 taiketsu @ 09/15/08 02:36 AM
I completely agree with your comments, Exboxur. The more I play this demo, the more shallow it's begun to feel. The AI is still lacking, and the gameplay is still a not quite PES at it's peak ie PES07 on ps2.

Like everybody else, I think a rental will be needed before I can make a final decision between the two big footie titals.

# 167 emc12 @ 09/15/08 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkysven
im sorry if i have missed it. i have gone through all the pages. how do u dummy the ball through your legs on the PS3?

hold R1

# 168 calcutta @ 09/15/08 06:45 PM
I'm still experiencing player responsiveness issues with not only passing (as others have mentioned) but also shooting. Occasionally there's a delay between the point i press X to shoot and the time my player actually animates to shoot, and during that delay, an opposing defender comes in and steals the ball. Again it doesn't happen too much, but its really annoying when it happens, especially when the defender is usually about a full metre away as my player winds up the shot, and when he tackles you, he retains close control of the ball (ie: the ball doesn't go loose, unlike most of the tackles i make which seem to propel the ball straight to another opposition player).

I took P2K's advice and switched to using 'diagonal' controls to add curl onto free kicks. While the amount of curve is much more realistic, I i still think it curls too much and often too late (the ball seems to go straight for a second or so before the curl finally kicks in) and i generally find it difficult to hit a certain area of the goal. However, i found that there is a decent amount of "natural curl" on free kicks by NOT using the left stick to add curl at all, and i've had a lot greater success in hitting the top corners of the goal as a result in the arena, especially with Arjen Robben. Its also cool on indirect kicks, you can hold down on the left stick while pressing the lob button, and it adds more height for the lob pass.

I've also switched to Assisted passing now, and its now much easier to connect multiple passes. Still struggling with finding the right amount of pace on through balls though, but thats still on Manual.

And regarding the whole defenders up for corners thing, well its a bit random atm. Using default team tactics, I played as AC Milan, Schalke and Real Madrid in different games and my central defenders were all still at the half way line when i had a corner kick. When i played as Chelsea, i noticed Carvalho and Ballack were in the box, but Terry had stayed back...however more alarmingly, Drogba was way out of his normal position and was also back at the half-way line!!! Is there any way to change team or individual player attack settings which hopefully may affect this?

I have also yet to see a CPU-controlled team bring up the CB's on their own corners. Another issue i saw was on a CPU (AC Milan) corner kick late in the game with scores level, they only bothered to put one player in the box, and naturally, the CK taker was able to pick him out easily.

# 169 stoncold32 @ 09/15/08 08:20 PM
I'm stoked at the fact that the PS3 version is in 1080P....the final game BETTER be this way if the demo is. PS3 users are tired of EA not using the systems power.

# 170 southernbelle @ 09/16/08 09:05 AM
played eysterday for a bit - what a game! i love how fluid the game feels this year. the passing, especially through passing, is deeply improved from 08. more along the lines of euro 2008. speed kills, but strength negates it! awesome.

only complaint is about curve on free kicks. not everyone can curve it like van persie. i hope they change this and make it more linked to actual curve rating!

# 171 AlexBrady @ 09/16/08 09:49 AM
Are you guys noticing the difference between great players and good players? like drogba compared to de negris?

# 172 southernbelle @ 09/16/08 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Are you guys noticing the difference between great players and good players? like drogba compared to de negris?
too short of games to really tell (2 min halves). speed kills, but strength matters also. robhino can get by people, but j terry will knock him off the ball.

two more weeks!

# 173 AlexBrady @ 09/16/08 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
too short of games to really tell (2 min halves). speed kills, but strength matters also. robhino can get by people, but j terry will knock him off the ball.

two more weeks!
So you are noticing player differentiation?

# 174 Methlab @ 09/16/08 01:34 PM
The demo is so short that it almost makes me not want to play. By the time I am into the game, it is over and in a shootout.

I am still not grasping how they are going to tweak the manual and auto assist on passing and shooting. It makes it tough to figure out which way to learn the game.

# 175 Quint75 @ 09/16/08 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
The demo is so short that it almost makes me not want to play. By the time I am into the game, it is over and in a shootout.
I agree. It's more frustrating than anything, IMO.

# 176 southernbelle @ 09/16/08 06:00 PM
Quote:
So you are noticing player differentiation?
absolutely - especially with dribble and control this year. kaka can control in traffic pretty good. strength is the main difference. drogba is tough when crossing....

# 177 AlexBrady @ 09/16/08 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
absolutely - especially with dribble and control this year. kaka can control in traffic pretty good. strength is the main difference. drogba is tough when crossing....
any more examples you could give?

# 178 Qb @ 09/16/08 08:47 PM
Quote:
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM on this, I've been away for a day or two. I have to agree with the other comments... I could really tell when I subbed in Wright-Phillips for Joe Cole. He could blow by slower defenders, but also could be knocked around a bit. Meanwhile, big strong players like Drogba or Kuranyi can go up & get it in the box. There is also a new ball shield control that could make these types even more dangerous, but I haven't really experimented with that yet.

Overall, it seems improved in this area over 08 but with the short halves and small group of players, it's hard to make a definitive judgment (same with a lot of other aspects)...

# 179 AlexBrady @ 09/16/08 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM on this, I've been away for a day or two. I have to agree with the other comments... I could really tell when I subbed in Wright-Phillips for Joe Cole. He could blow by slower defenders, but also could be knocked around a bit. Meanwhile, big strong players like Drogba or Kuranyi can go up & get it in the box. There is also a new ball shield control that could make these types even more dangerous, but I haven't really experimented with that yet.

Overall, it seems improved in this area over 08 but with the short halves and small group of players, it's hard to make a definitive judgment (same with a lot of other aspects)...
Thanks for responding qb. Was Drogba lethal in the box?

# 180 SoxFan01605 @ 09/17/08 12:10 AM
What I love about the game is the passing. I really feel that the last couple of years it has become possible to truly play a strong mid-field game. I love to play cat and mouse with my midfielders and drive the opponent nuts while I search for an openning. Not only can you do this effectively, but you are also punished when you are sloppy or try to do to much with weak midfielders (tried my strategy with Toronto and failed miserably...lol) I played 08 a little, but it wasn't enough to make me purchase it. I'm strongly considering 09 though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.