Home
Madden 09 News Post

Videogamer has the scoop.

Quote:
"US sales figures for August compiled by the NPD group have been released, and it'll be great reading for Electronic Arts. The top three selling games for the month are Madden NFL 09 on 360 (1 million), PS3 (643k) and PS2 (424.5k) respectively. Madden NFL 09 on the Wii took ninth place with 115.8k units sold.

Other games performing well in August included the Wii trio of Wii Fit (394.9K), Mario Kart (328.7K) and Wii Play (200.2K), SoulCalibur IV on Xbox 360 (174K), Xbox 360 exclusive Too Human (168.2K) and Guitar Hero: On Tour for Nintendo DS (111.2K)."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 xV3L0CiTY @ 09/16/08 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
You guys just arent getting the point. THE AVERAGE JOE doesn't see these past Maddens as failures. Look at the sales numbers! Every Day Gamer Guy buys Madden every year because it's mindless fun and because it says Madden on the cover and that's the game everyone buys and plays.

These players aren't sitting around wishing there were no exclusive license, these players are sitting down playing Madden, using its exploits and cheese and having a blast doing it, year in and year out. All of these complaints and "EA ISN'T SIM" war crys are not the opinions of the masses, they are the opinions of message board/internet junkies and game critics.

Madden will always sell. It sold when there WAS competition, it sells without, and will continue to sell if competition returns.

It's beyond being a game, it has become tradition, and that is a VERY hard thing to break.
Exactly...exactly.

# 22 SoxFan01605 @ 09/16/08 01:00 AM
Quote:
You guys just arent getting the point. THE AVERAGE JOE doesn't see these past Maddens as failures. Look at the sales numbers! Every Day Gamer Guy buys Madden every year because it's mindless fun and because it says Madden on the cover and that's the game everyone buys and plays.

These players aren't sitting around wishing there were no exclusive license, these players are sitting down playing Madden, using its exploits and cheese and having a blast doing it, year in and year out. All of these complaints and "EA ISN'T SIM" war crys are not the opinions of the masses, they are the opinions of message board/internet junkies and game critics.

Madden will always sell. It sold when there WAS competition, it sells without, and will continue to sell if competition returns.

It's beyond being a game, it has become tradition, and that is a VERY hard thing to break.
That's very true. To add, I would again remind people that in order to lure long time Madden loyalists to 2K5, 2K had to drop the pricepoint to get people to at least try it (and many of those buyers also bought Madden. 2K had no intentions of keeping the price at 19.99 over the long haul and I'm sure they would lose some customers on that point alone. The majority of the people who play this game don't even care that 2K is not in the picture. They love Madden and nothing short of a disaster (a real one, not the streaming list of hyperbole that you see on sites such as this) will change that.

Like it or not, Madden is so entrenched in the videogame world it's become it's own brand of football. People will buy Madden regardless of what 2K does. Plus, as many of the people lamenting the exclusivity deal have put on repeat, competition will breed better games. I highly doubt, between the fanbase Madden has already built coupled with the resources they have to compete, that 2K would just take over in year 1.

# 23 Ankido @ 09/16/08 08:36 PM
Quote:
Sorry bro, but while you're correct on the "legend" that 2K has become, you are sorely mistaken to think that an NFL 2K10 would outsell Madden.

You actually make my point for me, stating that 2K has become legendary IN THE GAMING COMMUNITY. What you're failing to realize, however, is how small that community is compared to the masses. Spend a day walking the streets and ask random Joe Gamer what the greatest NFL game/franchise is and 2K won't even be a breath on their lips.

Madden is a machine, plain and simple. All of my friends, all of my friends friends, they LOVE Madden... absolutely love it. Don't be fooled into thinking that the opinions on these boards, or any internet boards for that matter, or the majority.

Now, having said all that, and while I really enjoy Madden this year, I would buy an NFL 2K game in a SECOND if it ever happened again.

It probably won't, but it would definitely be nice.
You are sadly mistaken my friend. The reason why Madden Football is so popular because of the man behind the game and that is John Madden. Throw in rap music and famous people hyping and playing the game and you'll have yourself the hottest game on the planet. I don't care if it's stick figures on the field, those elements will make any game popular. Most of the Madden players were young kids who know nothing about the game and only plan on buying to play while most of us here which is only a handful at OS buy to test and give feedback.

I've played Madden since the glory days of Sega and the day NBA2K & NFL2K hit the scene, my jaw dropped to the ground and I have yet to pick it up. It's clear that Sega Sports is the leader in sports gaming and EA took a cheap shot to get them out of the market. Most of the madden sales comes from players who don't care about glitches and bugs. They just play to play. We analyze madden to the fullest and when the obvious is revealed guys like me get slapped with infractions. So this probably my last post before I'm banned but I'd like to thank EA for destroying the video game industry. They will soon realize that competition would have been the best thing for them because then they could counter react with same features to keep the community. A handful of pissed off members @ OS is not going to make madden any better.

# 24 BrianFifaFan @ 09/16/08 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankido
You are sadly mistaken my friend. The reason why Madden Football is so popular because of the man behind the game and that is John Madden. Throw in rap music and famous people hyping and playing the game and you'll have yourself the hottest game on the planet. I don't care if it's stick figures on the field, those elements will make any game popular. Most of the Madden players were young kids who know nothing about the game and only plan on buying to play while most of us here which is only a handful at OS buy to test and give feedback.

I've played Madden since the glory days of Sega and the day NBA2K & NFL2K hit the scene, my jaw dropped to the ground and I have yet to pick it up. It's clear that Sega Sports is the leader in sports gaming and EA took a cheap shot to get them out of the market. Most of the madden sales comes from players who don't care about glitches and bugs. They just play to play. We analyze madden to the fullest and when the obvious is revealed guys like me get slapped with infractions. So this probably my last post before I'm banned but I'd like to thank EA for destroying the video game industry. They will soon realize that competition would have been the best thing for them because then they could counter react with same features to keep the community. A handful of pissed off members @ OS is not going to make madden any better.
Chill out. If you like 2k and think it's superior, cool. A lot of people do here. We have a section for that. What you are doing is trolling the Madden forum. You don't buy or like Madden, so move along. Since you want to play the martyr in public, I'll refuse to make you one in public and explain why you get infractions. Maybe others will understand a bit better. Now if you insist in continuing down this road, you'll get yourself in trouble. Thanks, Brian

# 25 Ankido @ 09/16/08 09:27 PM
Let's get something out of the clear. There are lot of gamers like myself who spent a crap load of money on sports games not because I'm loaded but because I support all types of sports games that are good to me. I spend about $400 a year on EA games and out of that 400 maybe $240 are for sports. Let us throw in NBA2K and PES that's another $120. I spend around $520 to be exact a year on sports games including EA. Don't tell me I'm a troll. I want to know what my money for EA is used for?

I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again. This is not a knock on OS because you guys do a very good job maintaining these forums and building a good community. You have to also realize that forums like this can ruin a games sales. I'm not trolling here ok, I'm still talking about sales and game sites have a major hand in it. You gave me an infraction for saying that places like OS and sportsgamers can make or break a video game right?

let me be more clear. Next year when the Madden 2010 demo comes out where do you think everyone will read up on reviews gamespot? Everyone knows about these websites with forums and members lashing out at a product that didn't produce. They will read the same stuff we're saying now and decide Madden 2010 is not for them. There go the sales. Please, don't call me a troll. I like most of the die hard sports fans want to see Madden succeed. I look forward to 2010 to see if they live up to the hype again.

# 26 DaImmaculateONe @ 09/16/08 09:36 PM
So madden sold about 2.1 million copies of madden at $60 for the ps3 and 360 $50 for the wii and $40 for the ps2. What if they had cut those prices in half? Do you think madden would have sold 5 million if everything 50% off?

# 27 Ankido @ 09/16/08 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaImmaculateONe
So madden sold about 2.1 million copies of madden at $60 for the ps3 and 360 $50 for the wii and $40 for the ps2. What if they had cut those prices in half? Do you think madden would have sold 5 million if everything 50% off?
They would probably sell more then 2.1 million but the profit margin would be low. After seeing what happened with 09 I doubt cutting the price by 50% will still get those who want to pass to buy a copy. $30 is still too much for a title that doesn't work.

# 28 Exonerated @ 09/17/08 08:43 AM
lol this thread is funny. Half the peoplethat posted on this thread shoulda taken 10th grade economics.

Madden rules fellas.

The 0.01% of the total market: outraged 2k fanboys and Ea haters won't do anything to effect Madden sales.

Make that 0.0000001%.

I guess you guys should play fantasy football at NFL.com

# 29 Exonerated @ 09/18/08 12:38 AM
I didn't infer anything about the quality of Madden. I'm disappointed with Madden too.

All I'm saying is

Madden is the most popular sports game, always has been and always will be.

2k sports releasing an nfl game won't do **** to madden sales.

Its king of the jungle mate.

# 30 SoxFan01605 @ 09/18/08 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectRipCity
It's pretty much evident that Madden outsold 2k...That is not even the point. The point is 2k is actually the better company...It's just the Madden people do not see that. Madden will always remain king because they eliminate any competition so they can change a few things and make millions on a product that is half *****. This is why EA is trying to buy out 2k...EA knows that 2K is just flat out better. It would be truly a shame if EA were to buy out 2K because that would eliminate any good sports game that is out there. To get rid of a less superior company does not take a few years...It would of taken about ten. If 2k still made football games...I gurantee 2k would be the king right now.
How can you possibly gaurantee such a thing? Yes, they closed the gap in a year by dropping the price to 19.99. There are a lot of people who bought it just to check out something new since it was cheap (which I recognize was the point...get the product into more hands to build a base). Many of those were Madden players who tried it out as well. It was mentioned that the gap was closed from 10:1 to 5:1, but that's still a significant gap. They were going to raise the price back up the following year...it was known that the 19.99 pricepoint was to build interest. I'm not questioning the quality, but the fact is they would be more break even when the price jumped than gain significant ground.

What people fail to realize is 2K football, much like the "starving artist," is a better sell in death than in life. I would agree that if 2K comes back in the mix when the new deal is up and Madden still hasn't improved, it would probably make a stronger push based on "legend" status alone. However, if it would have continued as normal then it would have been a tough fight as it never would have garnered the status it received when canc'd. Madden 05 and 2K5 were neck and neck in many people eyes and 2K still got outsold at a lower price. I'm not talking right or wrong, fair or unfair. Generally speaking, follow the money and the hype to find the winner (as far as sales, not quality). EA has both.

# 31 SoxFan01605 @ 09/18/08 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Actually, the 19.99 price deal was a 3 year agreement, 2k5 was the 1st of the 3 years. So, if they closed the gap from 10:1 to 5:1, who knows what would have happened had they been allowed to continue.
I still remember this bigshot EA exec stating "2k could tape a ham sandwich to their game, sell it for 20 bucks, and it still won't sell"...what a moron he was.
I could be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure they backed off that because of financial reasoning...that's why I mentioned the hike. They raised their other games prices, I believe. They would have made it interesting for a bit though. I agree the EA exec was stupid in that regard, but it is no easy task to bring down the hype machine that Madden is. Just by securing NFLPA advertising through their tournaments and events was a huge advertising boon.

None of this speaks to 2K being better or worse...just going up aginst a giant. That's actually how the whole licensing issue got started EA made an offer they knew 2K couldn't match. It sucks, because I think the competition benefited all of us (whether you were a fan of 2K or not). What's done is done though, we just need to hope Ian and co. hold true to there stated vision.

# 32 Lumalu @ 09/18/08 10:27 PM
Madden is one of the few game franchise's guaranteed success year in year out.

2K put up a great fight, but l don't think they would of ever out sold madden. having said that, if 2k were still in the game, We probably would of had the two greatest football games of all time.

# 33 Exonerated @ 09/19/08 05:37 AM
We've reached the point of no return.

The Madden juggernaut is unstoppable.

[Sadly] Even if 2k or any company released a game that was better than Madden, Madden will still kill the sales. As long as Madden targets the casual audiences that don't look at internet forums, then it will remain atop of the sports game food chain.

# 34 Heelfan71 @ 09/19/08 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I wont say Madden loss money but the sales are flat. Factor in the cost of inflation then 2% may even be considered a decrease.
If you factor in the economy right now, I would say 2% is a big increase.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.