Home
News Post

OS just posted a gameplay video from their beta copy of NBA 2K9.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bigeastbumrush @ 09/20/08 10:04 AM
Good:
The courts look great as far as visuals and lighting. They have some 'shine' to them.

I actually like Kellog's energy although it does sound too much like a college broadcast.

The cutscenes/closeups after a made basket are superb.

End of quarter highlights are incredible.

Bad:
I didn't like the intro before they got to the court. It's cool and all, but what happens if a player gets traded or is injured? Does it switch up? Seems like it is locked in.

Way too fast. They seem to have this super speed when pressing Turbo.

Sliding.

Spacing. Players still seem to get bunched up.

Although I did like the crowd's energy, I feel there is too much showing of the crowd. Like the guys in the first row standing and shaking around for the entire quarter. Usually the front row of a crowd sit in their seats and don't get up at all. It seemed overdone like previous versions of NCAA Football where the crowd is amped off of Redbull for the whole game.

There seems to be a slight delay when the ball goes through the hoop and the sound that the net/rim makes? Delayed sound on the dunks too. Minor issue.

-----
All in all, I wasn't too impressed. They made incredible strides in the presentation department. But overall, it seems like the same 2K game (which is not a bad thing).
They demo will let me know whether to get this game or not.
That video didn't sway me.

# 42 Jay Bishop @ 09/20/08 10:06 AM
Well I am a bit disappointed. I saw a LOT of standing around in the half court. I expected to see a lot more off ball movement and player setting picks but it was always 3 player standing around while one ran around trying to get open and one dribbled and made unnecessary fancy passes. Then when someone did drive, there was a good amount of bunching in the lane. Also, the way players turn around looks so robotic. Maybe it's just the video chop, but this game lacks fluidity compared to the live demo. I hope the demo for this drops soon so I can see it running at speed.

# 43 Nodima @ 09/20/08 10:11 AM
I dunno, besides the Shaq-Amare thing I don't see most of the complaints. I loved watching that and wished there was more at the end.

# 44 Mintsa @ 09/20/08 10:13 AM
Watched the clip.....basically it's the same tried & true 2k basketball.....which is a good thing.

# 45 Goffs @ 09/20/08 10:17 AM
new vid is up with slower speed...i hate the speed lol

# 46 KG @ 09/20/08 10:25 AM
Presentation is top notch and I like the game speed personally.

# 47 Nodima @ 09/20/08 10:26 AM
From 4 - 3:30 game time Nash wowed me.

# 48 Eddie1967 @ 09/20/08 10:40 AM
Looks and sounds fantastic. A significant upgrade from 2k8. The crowd reaction really brings you into the game. Can't wait...............

# 49 bateman11 @ 09/20/08 10:44 AM
Eh. Game looks too fast. Players are sliding all over the place. Mainly defenders, they move way too fast and seem like they are weightless. Game has some nice animations.

LMAO at the shaq and amare hot potato.

Ill wait for the demo.

# 50 Po Pimp @ 09/20/08 10:59 AM
Game looks good obviously. Presentation is improved. One thing I didn't like was the fact that they still show replays after a spectacular play. I thought they got rid of this? Maybe that's the difference between frequent (anytime something good happens, a replay is shown) and occasionally (only during dead balls).

# 51 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 11:04 AM
Gameplay wise I wasn't impressed. I have to play this game. Gameplay videos don't do it justice.

# 52 ehh @ 09/20/08 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Eh. Game looks too fast. Players are sliding all over the place. Mainly defenders, they move way too fast and seem like they are weightless.
I agree. They still close out too quickly and cover way too much ground. Nash & Iverson's interaction from 2:23-2:26, eh.

# 53 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Eh. Game looks too fast. Players are sliding all over the place. Mainly defenders, they move way too fast and seem like they are weightless. Game has some nice animations.

LMAO at the shaq and amare hot potato.

Ill wait for the demo.
Move way too fast and are weightless?

Provide some evidence.

I RARELY saw sliding, Shaq really lumbered up court, and from the looks of it, big men move and feel like big men.

# 54 Da_Czar @ 09/20/08 11:21 AM
I see lots of potential... Loved some parts and I can see that the major overhaul on the commentary is for the pre game and cuts scenes which isn't bad at all.

We hold the mighty 2k to a higher standard. But i loved the feel. it felt (visually) alive. definitely different than the feel of 2k8. I am going to have fun with this.

The shot blocks were accurate. go up weak go home unhappy. I saw shaq with a monster dunk but yall know from watching him last year he didn't attempt to score when he got the ball he just kind of passed it around trying to play unselfish.

The trap on that pick and roll had me excited. I love the potential of what I see.

Don't sweat the small stuff fellas and try to enjoy the overall experience whether it be live or 2k.

# 55 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bishop
Well I am a bit disappointed. I saw a LOT of standing around in the half court. I expected to see a lot more off ball movement and player setting picks but it was always 3 player standing around while one ran around trying to get open and one dribbled and made unnecessary fancy passes. Then when someone did drive, there was a good amount of bunching in the lane. Also, the way players turn around looks so robotic. Maybe it's just the video chop, but this game lacks fluidity compared to the live demo. I hope the demo for this drops soon so I can see it running at speed.
Are you kidding me? do you think NBA teams ALWAYS run sets?

a lot of teams use conventional pick & roll and then just go straight to a superstar player. (Raptors for one)

Standing around? Mavericks, always posting up and isoing a player, thats their playstyle.

I don't see how this game fails to waver from that, they kept posting up Shaq, and attacking individually with Carmelo and AI while AI was doing all the dishing to wide open big men for jumpshots.

# 56 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I see lots of potential... Loved some parts and I can see that the major overhaul on the commentary is for the pre game and cuts scenes which isn't bad at all.

We hold the mighty 2k to a higher standard. But i loved the feel. it felt (visually) alive. definitely different than the feel of 2k8. I am going to have fun with this.

The shot blocks were accurate. go up weak go home unhappy. I saw shaq with a monster dunk but yall know from watching him last year he didn't attempt to score when he got the ball he just kind of passed it around trying to play unselfish.

The trap on that pick and roll had me excited. I love the potential of what I see.

Don't sweat the small stuff fellas and try to enjoy the overall experience whether it be live or 2k.
Thank you for reiterating all my points, go to the Celtics Lakers thread, I had a similar point there regarding both videos.

Unlike many here, I wanted to keep watching more until the 4th quarter, I've never had that kind of desire watching CPU vs CPU gameplay.

That was as NBA like as I've ever seen from a video game.

# 57 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 11:25 AM
They really need to overhaul the passing animations or passing logic or something, makes the game look terrible.

# 58 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodima
I dunno, besides the Shaq-Amare thing I don't see most of the complaints. I loved watching that and wished there was more at the end.
Agreed, looks, and "feels" great.

# 59 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch
Agreed, looks, and "feels" great.
What do you mean by feels great?

# 60 Bornindamecca @ 09/20/08 11:37 AM
Looks pretty good to me. I saw a lot of things I liked. There are major aspects of the game not yet in the vids(very little iso and pick and roll) so it's hard to really get an impression of the gameplay, but a lot of things look good. I love the intro and the commentary during the intro and between quarters.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.