Home
News Post

OS just posted another gameplay video from their beta copy of NBA 2K9. This one features the Lakers vs. Celtics with the slider speed set to 40.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Goffs @ 09/20/08 10:27 AM
yeah i mentioned on the other thread i dont like the slower speed lol

anyway...i still dont like how the players react and move when calling out plays, they still just trot to their positions no running whatsoever...whats the point of calling out plays if they turn into mindless automatons going through the motion...at one point Pierce got lost in the crowd...sheesh

with the smarter AI setting up picks on their own and with much better fluidity (AND SPEED) i dont think calling out plays will be necessary any more...i mean just watching that was gah...just gah...

# 2 jewelz1132 @ 09/20/08 10:29 AM
It seems a lot slower than the other video..I DID NOT LIKE what Pierce did on one of the final plays..dude just stood there then walked to his place like the shot clock wasnt dying

lol @ Odom catching the ball and not dribbling for the dunk..

# 3 ehh @ 09/20/08 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie

anyway...i still dont like how the players react and move when calling out plays, they still just trot to their positions no running whatsoever...whats the point of calling out plays if they turn into mindless automatons going through the motion...at one point Pierce got lost in the crowd...sheesh

with the smarter AI setting up picks on their own and with much better fluidity (AND SPEED) i dont think calling out plays will be necessary any more...i mean just watching that was gah...just gah...
This is by far my biggest problem with 2K these days. I want to do something on offense besides pick-n-roll and isolation stuff. These plays are practically useless because of how the offensive players run (or walk, lol) through them. The last play where Pierce was coming from the block to the top of the key of a screen was just terrible, he was literally walking up there.

I'm disappointed they didn't correct this at all from last year.

# 4 Nodima @ 09/20/08 10:34 AM
Didn't look as good at a slower pace TBH. That Pierce play at the end is going to catch a lot of flak here I bet.

I agree plays might not need to be called so oten - did whoever was playing at least SEE how open Pierce got off a screen early in the video (Allen gets a little less open off another screen a few seconds later to drain a 3). I'm going to be thanking the A.I. for getting open so much more than I used to if that play was any indication.

# 5 23bluesman @ 09/20/08 10:45 AM
I thought that the speed of the Suns-Nuggets vid was a bit too fast, but this seems too slow for me. Also, is it just me, or did the speed of the ball after shots get slower too?

# 6 DC @ 09/20/08 10:45 AM
I like this speed better than that other NBA Jam nonsense shown the past few days

Did anyone notice Bynum (CPU) checking PP at the top of the key and then Kobe switching back on PP when they saw that PP wasn't going to attack the rim. Nice move CPU

# 7 Mintsa @ 09/20/08 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie

I have to agree with you on this. Players have to cut hard and run to spots, not walk. The play ran for PP at the end was worthless. I would never use that. PP has to flash to that spot ans take the open J. Thats the one thing that stands out in Live 09 for me. In the Live demo when I run a play for "Kobe to get open" he cuts and runs hard to get open for the shot. It makes you want to run more plays.

# 8 jewelz1132 @ 09/20/08 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
I like this speed better than that other NBA Jam nonsense shown the past few days

Did anyone notice Bynum (CPU) checking PP at the top of the key and then Kobe switching back on PP when they saw that PP wasn't going to attack the rim. Nice move CPU
yeah I like the speed better but it just looks wierd on rebounds and passing..the switching was dope but dont let the CPU do that to me lol

# 9 Goffs @ 09/20/08 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
This is by far my biggest problem with 2K these days. I want to do something on offense besides pick-n-roll and isolation stuff. These plays are practically useless because of how the offensive players run (or walk, lol) through them. The last play where Pierce was coming from the block to the top of the key of a screen was just terrible, he was literally walking up there.

I'm disappointed they didn't correct this at all from last year.
i agree...though in the other vids you can clearly see the cpu players setting up screens for each other and players RUNNING to get open and all that without calling a play...

i was hoping that calling a play would be the same result...im disappointed that its not

# 10 bateman11 @ 09/20/08 10:57 AM
Defenders move soo fast. I really hoped they would fix this.

# 11 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 10:57 AM
I agree with everybody here. Live looks more realistic when running plays. The way the players interact and move around makes 2k look a little robotic and less organic. Can't wait to get my hands on this game tho. The gameplay videos never do the game any justice. You have to see and feel this game 1st hand. I don't know why people expect to be wow'd by gameplay videos of 2k. It's never wow'd me with gameplay videos. ou have to experience it.

# 12 TMagic @ 09/20/08 10:58 AM
Jeez, you guys are really making it sound like 2K is gonna be a let down.

I haven't watched any videos at all, so I just have to go by what some of you are saying.

I was really excited about this game. But, since these videos have been released, my excitement has dropped a tad.

So are you guys disappointed?

Or is does the game really look great, and it's just nitpicking that is being done?

# 13 ehh @ 09/20/08 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagic_01

I haven't watched any videos at all, so I just have to go by what some of you are saying.

I was really excited about this game. But, since these videos have been released, my excitement has dropped a tad.

Or is does the game really look great, and it's just nitpicking that is being done?
For the whole game, no I won't be disappointed. I don't lose sight of the the fact that 2K basketball is as good of a sport game as there is. The animations and sig styles are the best of any game out there. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game but I don't know if I'll be obsessed with it and play it for months on end.

I'm different than most people in that one of my top priorities now is a different system of running plays in a basketball game. For years it's been pick and roll and isolation plays and it's grown really stale as of late. That's why I loved CH2K8 because you could create your own plays but that game suffered the same problem, too many times a guy would walk through the motions of a certain play.

I mean, after playing 2K8 and watching this video, if you're down two with :15 seconds left in the game are you going to trust yourself to call one of those plays? Knowing that it might take more than :15 seconds to run because the guys are going through it so slowly? Or that a player will go through it so slowly we won't create separation from his defender for a good shot? No, you're going to iso or pick and roll because you know it works.

# 14 Po Pimp @ 09/20/08 11:08 AM
Quote:

Its not that the video looks BAD...its just that people were expecting a lot more. Some things have definitely improved, but some of the 2k8 issues are still present. Personally, I don't like the fact that they still showed replays during the game and not exclusively dead ball situations. I know in the Rockets/Hornets video, those replays were absent, so I don't know. Maybe its because its a Beta version, maybe its because the replay tab was set to frequent...who knows?

# 15 sofa_king @ 09/20/08 11:10 AM
Was the game speed slider notched down a bit, or is the default setting and it looked slower because a human was playing?

# 16 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 11:11 AM
Denver vs Phoenix was pretty beautiful, the game pace was extremely realistic to that of an NBA game. It felt really authentic watching it, it made me keep wanting to watch until the end.

I love the way Nash and Carter brought up the ball differently, and you could really see how the Nuggets relied on Carmelo and AI's 1on1 creating ability.

As for Phoenix's run and gun, they had a few outlet situations but you could see Shaq lumbering up court behind Nash which really forced Phoenix to slow it down to half court sets.

I also loved the way Shaq posted up, the way Nene moved back was authentic.

It's easy to nitpick all the things that are wrong with these videos, but I don't think many people have mentioned the positive changes to pace, team ball, and defense.

When computer took stupid little shots inside without setting up any type of move, computer paid for it by getting blocked.

The Celtics vs Lakers vid would have been much better if the USER was actually doing something!

He kept running plays to no avail, he didn't use KG or post up players at all, and even when he caught the ball with pierce, he just stood there stutter stepping.

I'm sure if the Celtics player used isomotion, slashed, and attacked the rim to draw contact or drew space for the jumper, that particular video would have been exciting to watch.

There is a reason why the trailer showed us so much, because momentous KNOWS ISOMOTION!

# 17 Bornindamecca @ 09/20/08 11:22 AM
Quote:

The game looks great, tmagic. Another thing to remember is that most of the improvements to the game won't be apparent in gameplay vids. Improvements to presentation, association, 5 on 5 and interface are not going to have videos.

Look at the initial reaction to the trailer for the opposite of what's going on here.

All that having been said...Live's play calling system is as superior to 2k's as 2k's overall gameplay is superior to Live's. They were absolutely trumped in this regard and they either need to patch in a fix or make it a priority for next year.

# 18 Steve_OS @ 09/20/08 11:22 AM
Next one I'll do at 45 speed, default is 50, this one was 40. Gotta do some errands first.

# 19 born_bad @ 09/20/08 11:29 AM
Some positives:
  • The crowd looks and sounds a lot better
  • Doc Rivers looks a lot better, so they improved the coaches' appearance

Some cons:
  • Aside from the new interface, like where the score is displayed and the new pop-ups, I couldn't tell it was 2k9 as opposed to 2k8.
  • What's the point of replacing Kenny if you're simply going to have someone else read his exact lines? The commentary has had the same lines for 3 years now. The fact that they got someone else in was a perfect chance to improve it, but instead they gave him the same exact script.

I'm looking forward to the demo. Videos always make me feel like, "That looks just like last year's game." Actually being able to play and get an idea of how it "feels" compared to last year's game is more important. I was hoping for a bigger jump in graphics since I heard early on that that was an area that was going to be greatly improved. From the broadcast cam, it looked like 2k8, so we'll see. I'm sure it will look a lot better on my TV in HD.

# 20 DaoudS @ 09/20/08 11:34 AM
am i going nuts or do the animations look really jittery? As if every nanosecond is in slow motion almost.

« Previous12345678Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.