Home
News Post

OS just posted another gameplay video from their beta copy of NBA 2K9. This one features the Lakers vs. Celtics with the slider speed set to 40.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 fluent2332 @ 09/20/08 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
Just another one that says this before the game comes out. They always end up buying the game in the end. Gameplay movies never do ANY game justice in sports. I rember seeing the first gameplay vid of 2k8 and I was sort of iffy about it, but look how the game turned out. Just a piece of advice, reserve your final decision til after you play the demo. And to the guy above about in Live 09 having to clear a path to pass is BS. I encounter passes going through people all the time in live. Overall 2k9 imo is looking great. With a the new presentation (- commentary), they are looking great this year. Other reasons the game will be great:
Off ball Movement
Graphics
Signature animations
animations in general
5 vs 5 online
Living rosters
updated CAP mode
able to tug on jerseys off ball

Along with many others
I'm just not seeing it man. Honestly I'm really disappointed, and yeah, I know it's just a video, but the A.I. is still horrible with no semblance of what to do on offense but play catch and make very questionable, ugly passes. I played 2k8 to death online but I want a game I can play offline too. 2K9 is not going to be that game, and I'm definitely not spending $60 on it.I will buy a used copy in a month or 2. It looks like all they did was flash it up a little bit. They gave everyone in the arena free crack to smoke. I think some of the players as well (Pierce, Shaq, Nash, Kobe, A.I., Melo, Stat, Martin, NENE, just to name about every player being controlled by the A.I.)

# 122 blues rocker @ 09/20/08 05:44 PM
after seeing these gameplay vids i am VERY disappointed. the game looks EXACTLY the same as last year with slightly improved graphics. same problems persist - crappy passing, inapproporiate shot animations, clunky animations that are too slow, poor spacing and strategy by the AI, sluggish and unresponsive post game...the list goes on.

live is looking better and better - 2k slacked off this year and did nothing...this might be the year that live passes 2k

# 123 blingballa333 @ 09/20/08 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
after seeing these gameplay vids i am VERY disappointed. the game looks EXACTLY the same as last year with slightly improved graphics. same problems persist - crappy passing, inapproporiate shot animations, clunky animations that are too slow, poor spacing and strategy by the AI, sluggish and unresponsive post game...the list goes on.

live is looking better and better - 2k slacked off this year and did nothing...this might be the year that live passes 2k
Slightly Improved graphics? You are blind. And what also makes no, how can say that the post game is unresponsive when you haven't even played the game. And to the bolded part, well.............

# 124 barrist @ 09/20/08 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker

Haven't heard that one before...

# 125 NINJAK2 @ 09/20/08 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch
In conclusion, hire Steve Kerr.

Man.. if we only got Doug Collins..
I like Doug Collins but I'd really like to hear Hubie Brown do work on one of these games (2k hopefully). He is the best in the business in my opinion and his team/ play breakdown are second to none imo.

# 126 Gmoney2002 @ 09/20/08 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcanos
After viewing this thing many times the Paul Pierce play just shows AI is quite not there yet. If you look at the play, Pierce was actually about to run to his spot in the play but got stuck behind Bynum and then he stopped and just walked to the spot. Getting stuck behiind Bynum appeared to confuse the AI. In real life he would have pushed off of Bynum to get to his spot.

Just my 2 cents..

Agreed biz. The play wasn't broken technically. As you said probably because the A.I didn't have a free path to the end point of the play, it calculates it as broken. If he had continued through, he would've had a wide open shot. Either way it only happened once during the video.

I will say though although the playcalling is not at Live's level, it is vastly improved from last year. Players get into their sets much quicker...

# 127 Starrtech @ 09/20/08 06:09 PM
I'd love Jeff Van Gundy, Marc Jackson and that other guy whose name escapes me right now.

# 128 reptilexcq @ 09/20/08 06:13 PM
I buy NBA2k to play online, NEVER for offline. But this year....based on the AIs, i might spend a little time on it. The AIs of the previous games have been trashed and unappealing...but this year...i have to admit based on some of the videos....they play way better and much smarter and at least give the human a challenge. I don't see perfection though as i already detect some flaws to the AIs...but overall, it's a HUGE improvement in a mode that hardly improve at all.

I am just excited to see what it feels like to play it and if the gameplay is more responsive or not. 2k8 is not very responsive due to unbreakable canned animations....and as a result feel very slow. Glad they bring the 2k7 speed back.

# 129 BigRan @ 09/20/08 08:15 PM
First things 1st.....

Thanks to OS for putting up the videos of your beta copy and at least helping to give out info on this game.

Now onto my thoughts of the game....

From the videos I am not impressed with 2k9..... but again, for the last 2 games I was not impressed by the videos but once I got the game in my hand it was a different story.

I am a sim guy (like most of you) and it is disappointing to see how long it takes for plays to develop. this was one of my pet-peeves online as well...becuase if you tried to run plays it would take forever for something to develop.

Also, after playing Live09, the court seems to be incredibly cramped. You have almost no time to get free to do anything.

Last but not least, I was EXTREMELY disappointing to hear that TERRIBLE commentary. It is VERY annoying. I can listen to Live's commentary all-day long and it never gts old......even when I know the little ancedotes that Steve Kerr is going to give...it just sounds very 'real'.

Anyway, I will reserve final judgement until I play the demo.

Now with all of that said is 2k a bad game. No....far from it..... It's just that Live has shown us how to do some things better than 2k now, and it is demanding for 2k to have to step up and make some major changes to some things.

# 130 MrSimCity @ 09/20/08 08:27 PM
"SLIDER SPEED" wise, this is clearly the 2K8 setting, and its where it should be...people who had a problem with the speed setting don't know basketball all too well

# 131 blues rocker @ 09/20/08 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
Slightly Improved graphics? You are blind. And what also makes no, how can say that the post game is unresponsive when you haven't even played the game. And to the bolded part, well.............
you can tell from the animation and the way the game moves that it is the same as last year. it is pretty obvious - all they added were a few new animations and some improved lighting and faces. other than that the game is the same and appears to have the same flaws.

# 132 ekferio @ 09/21/08 01:55 AM
commentary still sucks, can't believe they are re-using the same lines yet again.

# 133 KENYON06 @ 09/21/08 02:22 AM
I never thought I'd be missing Kenny but I am. **** I'm missing Tolbert at this point.

# 134 Goffs @ 09/21/08 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrtech
I'd love Jeff Van Gundy, Marc Jackson and that other guy whose name escapes me right now.
Kenny Smith! oh wait...

# 135 DakkoN @ 09/21/08 03:03 AM
^
You mean Mike Breen?

# 136 trobinson97 @ 09/21/08 05:30 AM
I wouldn't mind Van Gundy, but please lord, no Marc Jackson.

# 137 Murkurial @ 09/21/08 08:15 PM
Ray Allen's shot might be the quickest in the league. Why is it so damn slow in this game. Everything in this game is incredibly slow. Is it the animation system that they use. Peja's release is quick as hell, why can't they get Allen's shot speed right?

# 138 Murkurial @ 09/21/08 08:18 PM
^^LOL, my apologies for using only one question mark in that entire post.

# 139 Tha_Kid @ 09/21/08 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkurial
Ray Allen's shot might be the quickest in the league. Why is it so damn slow in this game. Everything in this game is incredibly slow. Is it the animation system that they use. Peja's release is quick as hell, why can't they get Allen's shot speed right?
Because the speed slider is on 40.

# 140 BTB @ 09/21/08 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
Because the speed slider is on 40.
Nah but Ray Ray's shot does take longer than it should

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.