Home
News Post

OS just posted another gameplay video from their beta copy of NBA 2K9. This one features the Lakers vs. Celtics with the slider speed set to 40.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Tha_Kid @ 09/21/08 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB
Nah but Ray Ray's shot does take longer than it should
2k's shots in general take longer, but i'd complain about Pierce's more than Ray's. Either way it's hard to shoot with either of them if you watch the C's alot and expect the game to be accurate.

# 142 reptilexcq @ 09/21/08 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRan
First things 1st.....

Thanks to OS for putting up the videos of your beta copy and at least helping to give out info on this game.

Now onto my thoughts of the game....

From the videos I am not impressed with 2k9..... but again, for the last 2 games I was not impressed by the videos but once I got the game in my hand it was a different story.

I am a sim guy (like most of you) and it is disappointing to see how long it takes for plays to develop. this was one of my pet-peeves online as well...becuase if you tried to run plays it would take forever for something to develop.

Also, after playing Live09, the court seems to be incredibly cramped. You have almost no time to get free to do anything.

Last but not least, I was EXTREMELY disappointing to hear that TERRIBLE commentary. It is VERY annoying. I can listen to Live's commentary all-day long and it never gts old......even when I know the little ancedotes that Steve Kerr is going to give...it just sounds very 'real'.

Anyway, I will reserve final judgement until I play the demo.

Now with all of that said is 2k a bad game. No....far from it..... It's just that Live has shown us how to do some things better than 2k now, and it is demanding for 2k to have to step up and make some major changes to some things.
The problem with NBA 2K series commentary is analytical commentary. They should make jokes and talk about other stuffs more often instead of the game. And the commentators should interact and talk with each other more often. You know ....just anything to spice up the game boring commentary. It's always...."pass it to Yao, he shoot...blocked" "great defense!" Say something like they did in NFL2k2 or NFL2k5....they don't just talk about the game all the time.

Next year's game should deal with this issue and try to solve it. I like Kevin harv (spelling). He's like Marv Albert. So they should keep him and Kellogg. Kenny Smith is alright but i guess 2K wants a new different voice. They should focus on trying to make the commentary more dynamic. In other words, they should say things that had already past to remind the users what had happened.

# 143 Da_Czar @ 09/21/08 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
I wouldn't mind Van Gundy, but please lord, no Marc Jackson.
Your better than that Trobinson!!!!

# 144 Tha_Kid @ 09/21/08 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Your better than that Trobinson!!!!

# 145 Siguy @ 09/21/08 11:57 PM
You know, I love the NBA 2k series, and I'll buy this game because I'm an addict and I need a new fix, but I really, really, REALLY wish they'd redo the commentary.

Watching all these videos, this is really the worst its been. They haven't had Kevin Harlan add any new lines or even record alternate takes on his old lines in three years time, and the few new lines they added last year were all recorded at the wrong levels and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then, they get rid of Kenny and replace him with a very boring, very generic announcer who adds nothing and seems even more disconnected from everything Kevin is saying. And on top of that, already in the videos we're seeing him use the wrong lines for every situation over and over again and already repeating himself.

Did they really record only one piece of dialogue for every blocked shot? Do they really not have a way to differentiate audio for dunks from mid-range shots?

I'm glad they've made many small improvements to a game that was already quite good, but this announcing is starting to drive me insane.

# 146 spankdatazz22 @ 09/22/08 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siguy
Watching all these videos, this is really the worst its been. They haven't had Kevin Harlan add any new lines or even record alternate takes on his old lines in three years time, and the few new lines they added last year were all recorded at the wrong levels and stuck out like a sore thumb.
A ridiculous overstatement. There's no way the commentary is the "worst it's been". If you want to campaign for new dialogue that's one thing - but it's hardly bad to the degree where it's distracting. You could make that argument last year, where they recorded new Harlan dialogue that seemed to be at a different tone/pace that stood out from the rest of the commentary. You've heard what, 10min of dialogue tops for this year and you're declaring it the worst ever? There's no need to overstate an issue to make a point

# 147 SageInfinite @ 09/22/08 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
A ridiculous overstatement. There's no way the commentary is the "worst it's been". If you want to campaign for new dialogue that's one thing - but it's hardly bad to the degree where it's distracting. You could make that argument last year, where they recorded new Harlan dialogue that seemed to be at a different tone/pace that stood out from the rest of the commentary. You've heard what, 10min of dialogue tops for this year and you're declaring it the worst ever? There's no need to overstate an issue to make a point
Thank You.

# 148 Siguy @ 09/22/08 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
"Ridiculous overstatement?"

Look, I'm not making a scientific report here, I watched fifteen minutes of video and heard the same lines repeated over and over again, the same lines I've been hearing for four years. I've been playing these games since the dreamcast, I love them, but four straight years of no major audio updates for Kevin Harlan is absolute punishment for the returning customer.

For me (the only person I can speak for, obviously), it is VERY distracting to hear the same lines I've heard ten thousand times repeated yet again, and worse, screwed up in ways they weren't before (the new announcer referring to "open shooters" after dunks and declaring the defense "burned by that midrange J" after a missed shot).

I'm not being crazy and declaring the game ruined or something. I'm sure I'll like the game. I've always liked these games, but I don't need to watch more than fifteen minutes to recognize the same bad commentary I've been listening to for years.

# 149 reptilexcq @ 09/22/08 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siguy
You know, I love the NBA 2k series, and I'll buy this game because I'm an addict and I need a new fix, but I really, really, REALLY wish they'd redo the commentary.

Then, they get rid of Kenny and replace him with a very boring, very generic announcer who adds nothing and seems even more disconnected from everything Kevin is saying. And on top of that, already in the videos we're seeing him use the wrong lines for every situation over and over again and already repeating himself.

Did they really record only one piece of dialogue for every blocked shot? Do they really not have a way to differentiate audio for dunks from mid-range shots?

I'm glad they've made many small improvements to a game that was already quite good, but this announcing is starting to drive me insane.
I would like the commentators to say things a little outrageous and making jokes about cheesers or quitters or something to that effect to spice up the commentary that have been repeat over and over so many times over previous versions. Sure Kevin Harlan might not say these things in real life....but it's entertaining and at the end of the day, if you're being entertained by what he says...it's all that matter.

Maybe 2K ought to hire Charles Barkley or Bill Walton to do the commentator. Someone to spice up the gameplay.

Also while i am at it...from watching all the videos...i don't remember seeing stats overlay pop up during gameplay, do you??? What the hell...why is 2K not even taking this to another level. When TMAC made a shot...i wanna to see his stat and how much points he go so far. When Yao got a rebound i want to see his stats....when someone is at the line, i want to see his FT%....is that too much to ask VC??? Why do i have to keep repeating this year after year!!!

# 150 edubbs @ 09/22/08 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq
Also while i am at it...from watching all the videos...i don't remember seeing stats overlay pop up during gameplay, do you??? What the hell...why is 2K not even taking this to another level. When TMAC made a shot...i wanna to see his stat and how much points he go so far. When Yao got a rebound i want to see his stats....when someone is at the line, i want to see his FT%....is that too much to ask VC??? Why do i have to keep repeating this year after year!!!
You may want to wait until you get the game to complain about stat overlays.

This is the developer answer when asked about Statistical overlays:

10.) Where there be accumulated stats (like NFL 2K5) where your stats follow you and the presentation display current game stats, career stats, playoff stats...etc?

A.) "Statistical overlays have returned to NBA 2K9 after a brief hiatus. These overlays will display at opportune times (free throws, dead balls, etc.) and will provide information such as game points, career average, etc."

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.