Home
News Post

Just threw up another one. This one with the speed slider set at 45.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 i c u cant stop me @ 09/20/08 08:37 PM
Lol i cant wait to see how 5 vs 5 online is going to work out its going to be crazy!

# 62 23 @ 09/20/08 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Defensive.

Great video Steve and thanks for taking the time.

I remember someone was saying earlier that you couldn't shoot off the dribble, I am glad to see that that is not true. That was a beautiful looking animation by Alston at the 3:32 mark of the game clock.

The crowd and atmosphere is just sick.

Lef the things i wanted to respond to.

1. I agree with trob.. thanks Steve for the video!!!

2.I said you couldn't run to a spot shoot in one motion into your sig shot and you cant. When you're on the run like that, your man stops and squares up before he pulls into his sig jumper.

Why I hate it is because believe it or not it helps give the defense an extra second of recovery that they otherwise wouldn't have. That's not something that happens on the court but its difficult to explain so i dont want to seem like im bashing the game because Im not, and it doesn't make it unplayable but it would make it better.. especially with the fluidity they have in this game.

In this video... you're talking about a running fadeaway ala MJ that Rafer Alston did, which I am not talking about.. but do play 2k8 or CH to see what im talking about.

3. Atmosphere is nice!! ...but Clark talks to Kevin calling him Kev all the time and Kevin never talks to him

Makes me think either Collins quit mid session, or they were in studio at seperate times

# 63 blingballa333 @ 09/20/08 08:59 PM
I agree KDRE, the transition from dribbling to sig shot is clunky most of the time. Ws really annoying when trying to pass to a guy coming off an off'ball screen. It seems 2k9 has got rid of that hitch for the most point though.

# 64 DaWu @ 09/20/08 09:02 PM
nice job steve. loving it. keep em comin maybe with some mavs love?

# 65 eko718 @ 09/20/08 09:08 PM
The game looks good at this play speed. Nice vid.

# 66 gez20 @ 09/20/08 09:15 PM
Count me in as someone who sees this video as being far better than the other two. I was happy to see Parker being aggressive with the ball on many of the Spurs possessions. The way point guards like Parker, Paul, etc. played in 2k8 killed that game for me.

It's still disappointing to see elite defenders guarding whoever is playing their position as opposed to the top scorer on the other team.

# 67 i c u cant stop me @ 09/20/08 09:34 PM
Did anyone see around the 4:58 mark the way the defender poked the ball away from yao leading to the turnover?? that looked so smooth and good.

# 68 jfsolo @ 09/20/08 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
Steve is this the final version of the game? You would have to be some kind of fool to not see that the 45 and 40 slider speed are more accurate than the default. Yud think the des would see this and do some last minn backend slider tweaks.
I still prefer the default speed to either of these two slower speeds, and luckily us fools can decide for ourselves if we can still have a "sim" experience at a faster speed.

The animations are top notch, the CPU's decision making is solid in space or in transition, but they still haven't "taught" the A.I. how to utilize the bounce to create better passing angles in the half court sets.

I want to see more, but I don't need to see any more vids. Barring some last minute super glitch, I know that I'm going to put in some ridiculous time with this game.

# 69 younggrease @ 09/20/08 09:43 PM
Honestly instead of vids I would rather know the ratings of the players. It doesnt have to be like in a graph like that other one, just the overall ratings

# 70 ehh @ 09/20/08 09:58 PM
Def the best vid of the bunch. This game has by far the best animations, sig styles and atmosphere of any sports game. Visually, as a complete package, even The Show doesn't really come close.

The sig styles on Yao's foul line jumper and Parker's FT were insane. I mean Parker's is absolutely perfect. You could see more new animations in this vid, like others said the dig that Parker took under the hoop looked great. Also, the Alston J off balanced from the corner was great to see. It's one thing that I loved about the Live demo and I'm glad that 2K has added that as well. The dunks looked better as does the rim/backboard/standard's reaction to a dunk.

The player size/court size ratio still concerns me as does the interaction of the on-ball defender and the offensive player, although when T-Mac was trying to get to the hoop it seemed better than 2K8 (which it didn't in the previous vids). If you don't call a play the other four guys on your team will complete stand still. I know I'm not calling a play but I'd love to see the other players take some initiative and set an off-ball screen or make a cut to the hoop or something just to get things moving.

I'll be reserving 2K9 this week.

# 71 KG @ 09/20/08 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Def the best vid of the bunch. This game has by far the best animations, sig styles and atmosphere of any sports game. Visually, as a complete package, even The Show doesn't really come close.

The sig styles on Yao's foul line jumper and Parker's FT were insane. I mean Parker's is absolutely perfect. You could see more new animations in this vid, like others said the dig that Parker took under the hoop looked great. Also, the Alston J off balanced from the corner was great to see. It's one thing that I loved about the Live demo and I'm glad that 2K has added that as well. The dunks looked better as does the rim/backboard/standard's reaction to a dunk.

The player size/court size ratio still concerns me as does the interaction of the on-ball defender and the offensive player, although when T-Mac was trying to get to the hoop it seemed better than 2K8 (which it didn't in the previous vids). If you don't call a play the other four guys on your team will complete stand still. I know I'm not calling a play but I'd love to see the other players take some initiative and set an off-ball screen or make a cut to the hoop or something just to get things moving.

I'll be reserving 2K9 this week.
TP's shot was perfect and the little things that make 2K so good are always appreciated.

# 72 born_bad @ 09/20/08 10:21 PM
This vid looked pretty good. My jaw wasn't hitting the floor or anything, but it does make me want to play it and see how it feels. There are tons of nice animations, but they don't seem to flow together naturally. Hopefully that's something they can improve on going forward. For every animation I thought, "Wow, that looked real," it would be followed by some awkward transition animation that took me out of the realism.

I hate to nit-pick, too, but the commentary is bad and will likely have to be shut off. It's disappointing to hear that in the very first jump shot of the game (T-Mac's baseline jumper), the commentary is completely wrong. T-Mac missed the shot, but the color commentary talks about how the shooter made the D pay. Not a great 1st impression of the new commentary in the game.

# 73 ehh @ 09/20/08 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
They do. Watch the other videos.
LOL, yeah, if I'm holding the ball on the wing w. a PG the SG comes and runs into me. That really helps a lot.

They need to move with some hint of intelligence.

# 74 ehh @ 09/20/08 10:36 PM
Quote:
Uh, have you watched the gameplay videos? guys will run off screens and a PF or a C will set a pick near the key and your guy will get an open shot without any playcalling needed.

I mean, seriously, is it too difficult to look at some videos or actually play the game before you say something isn't in the game?
Yeah, I watched all of them. Are you sure you're not watching the CPU controlled team? Gimme ten minutes, I'll give you times on every single vid to look at. And it's been in all of 2K basketball games since they jumped to next gen and it's still in 2K9.

EDIT: Can't get any of the vids to load, I'll get back to ya when they're working for me.

# 75 ehh @ 09/20/08 11:08 PM
Quote:
got :25 seconds into the Celtics/Lakers video, Pierce has the ball at the top of the key, Rondo goes from the 3pt line and goes around a Garnett screen and basically has an open shot in the corner if Pierce decides to pass it over there

:35 seconds in.. Perkins basically gets doubled, Allen smartly moves away from him towards the 3pt line.. he was already at the 3pt line but he moved over more so it's harder for the D to get to him, open 3. Great AI movement.

1:25 mark. Bynum goes to the top of the key, puts a pick there for Kobe basically giving him an open look at the basket if Odom passes it to him.

2:00 mark, Kobe passes it to Derek Fisher, then automatically cuts towards the basket, Fisher passes it to him.

5 instances right there in basically 2 minutes. The offball AI movement is 100x better this year. You just gotta look.
It's always been fine for the CPU, I'm worried about user teammates. The Celts/Lakers video finally loaded, Steve did a good job and called a play every possession so there's nothing there.

In the Spurs/Rockets video, the first possession of the game is a 1-4 High to Artest on the wing. A 1-4 set isn't an iso set because Yao is at the elbow so Artest has only one way to go - drive to the baseline, so the on-ball defender can position himself to not allow it thus forcing Artest to the middle and into the help. There should be a screen coming from Yao or Scola or an entry pass to the high post and a cut from Artest. Instead, Artest gets the ball and everyone else stands there. Even if this is meant to be some weird attempt at an iso, 2K lacks the beauty of what Live has this year with variations on plays. In this instance, if option 1 is for Artest to drive baseline but he holds the ball Yao will come set an on-ball screen.

On the Rockets' possession that starts at 1:55, Artest gets the ball on the wing and Scola is in the high post and Yao is on the weak side block, again not in a position for Artest to iso. They stand there until he gives the ball back to Alston who gets an on-ball screen from Scola and comes off it into the right side of the lane, cept the only problem is that Yao's big behind is still sitting there on that block from when Artest had the ball on the wing, where he's been the entire possession, clogging up the lane and forcing Alston to take that side/fadeaway from 15 feet.

This isn't a game killer or anything, you just have to call plays because the natural/unscripted spacing and movement is poor. IIRC, it's at it's worst after a an attempted user fast break but you decide to pull it out. I know it's that way in CH2K8, I played it for about two hours this afternoon and it was annoying me.

# 76 ehh @ 09/20/08 11:22 PM
Quote:
Did you even watch the Celtics/Lakers video? If so, how could you say that? The plays I referenced were not playcalls by Steve, I didn't even reference the ones that were called by Steve. This is all the CPU AI that isn't controlled by the user.

LOL, I didn't say it happens every single time. The Perkins post touch and Allen re-locate was a thing of beauty. And I love how you completely ignore the two plays I pointed out in the Rockets video. I've heard of selective hearing but you've always been amazing at selective reading. Care to comment on those two plays?

# 77 ehh @ 09/20/08 11:43 PM
Quote:
Just like in real life, certain plays are not run well, and people just sit around. Butyou can't say it isn't a major improvement over last year, and the fact that I highlighted 5 different situations in the matter of 2 minutes in one game.
Three of those plays you mentioned were run by the CPU controlled team, which I said twice already is not what I'm talking about.

IRL, yeah plays aren't run correctly but at least they're run. It's not five guys standing still for a handful of seconds.

# 78 younggrease @ 09/20/08 11:44 PM
Is the Deshawn Stevenson I cant feel my face celebration in the game? Thats like a must have imo

# 79 Glucky93 @ 09/20/08 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLisFUN
T-Mac looks dead on, they got his movement and his shooting down really well.

I cannot wait to use the Rockets! I mean I'm a Lakers first but come on how can you pass up a starting 5 of:

PG: T-Mac
SG: Battier
SF: Artest
PF: Scola
C: Yao

When someone uses Lakers, I'll counter that with Rockets and vice versa.
dawg the portland trailblazer will murder the rockets this year in the game and real life
my lineup
1 jerryd bayless
2 brandon roy
3 me
4lamarcus aldrige
5 greg oden

# 80 i c u cant stop me @ 09/21/08 12:00 AM
Quote:
Just like in real life, certain plays are not run well, and people just sit around. Butyou can't say it isn't a major improvement over last year, and the fact that I highlighted 5 different situations in the matter of 2 minutes in one game.
Thats what i dont like about live's play calling its to perfect. In real life plays dont always work 100% of the time like live does. players in the nba run the worng pattern most of the time and the same happends in 2k. in live that pick n roll works 90% of the time which will be a huge problem online.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.