Home
News Post

Fans will receive the most up-to-date player
attributes, player tendencies, and unlockable animations

September 22, 2008 – 2K Sports today announced details on Living Rosters, an exciting new innovative online feature for this season’s highly anticipated basketball title, NBA 2K9. Living Rosters will ensure dedicated fans are playing with the most up-to-date and complete basketball experience ever available in the NBA 2K franchise. In addition to delivering constant updates to player ratings and player tendencies, Living Rosters will also offer exclusive access to unlockable animation packages for players in the game. When a player starts to heat up and takes his game to the next level on the real courts, new animation packages will unlock for that player in the video game. As the NBA season progresses, so will NBA 2K9, as players will have the ability to pull off new moves never seen before in the video game, adapt their offensive and defensive rotations, and shift starting lineups as they occur. If it happens during the regular NBA season, it will happen in NBA 2K9 thanks to Living Rosters.

When the Living Rosters feature is activated and a gamer signs in online, the game automatically checks for Living Roster updates in order to download the latest real-life player information in a seamless process behind the scenes. Gamers will have an option to either have Living Rosters automatically update their in-game roster information, or they can choose to download new roster data manually.

Once Living Rosters has successfully completed an update, NBA 2K9 fans can then review the different player and gameplay updates from the NBA 2K Insider – a real person working behind the scenes, pouring over the stats and spreadsheets, and who is ultimately responsible for the content and accuracy of the Living Rosters updates. However, the Insider’s job is much more than just crunching numbers - they will interact with the community and listen to roster update suggestions to determine what the fans really want in each update. The NBA 2K Insider’s analysis and commentary will be available in-game and on the 2K Sports website, www.2ksports.com.

NBA 2K9 is the latest edition of NBA 2K, the series that has been the #1 rated NBA simulation for seven years in a row* and is back for its 10th season. NBA 2K9 is the premier basketball game for serious players, and will deliver the most realistic and feature-rich simulation experience ever available in the NBA 2K franchise – from gameplay and graphics to presentation and online features. NBA 2K9 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available on October 7 for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PLAYSTATION®3 and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment systems. For more information about NBA 2K9, please visit www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k9.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 rockchisler @ 09/22/08 01:52 PM
Unlockable animations? I thought they said if for example Derrick Rose has a new goto move that is not in the game they will mocap and have an update for it to download. I may be wrong.

# 2 ehh @ 09/22/08 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
will also offer exclusive access to unlockable animation packages for players in the game. When a player starts to heat up and takes his game to the next level on the real courts, new animation packages will unlock for that player in the video game.
Interesting, so the game will turn into NBA Jam once Kobe or LeBron get rolling IRL?

# 3 ehh @ 09/22/08 02:05 PM
Check your sarcasm detector.

At the same time, can't you do something besides go around the board and point out every instance where people say something negative? You would think your children were making 2K9.

# 4 SageInfinite @ 09/22/08 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
Wow you guys are pessimistic. The game will play the same, there will just be new dunk animations. Can you guys be happy with ANYTHING?
The answer is No. I've learned that over the years of being here. That's why I'm ghost once the game drops.

# 5 ehh @ 09/22/08 02:11 PM
LOL, true.

# 6 reptilexcq @ 09/22/08 02:24 PM
How does the LIVING ROSTER work for online gaming. Say for example, user 1 chose to automatically download the living roster but user 2 chose to ignore it....but when a game squares off between these 2 users online, would do the new animation work and be execute for user 1 because user 2 obviously did not download the new animation.

# 7 MrSimCity @ 09/22/08 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Unlockable animations? I thought they said if for example Derrick Rose has a new goto move that is not in the game they will mocap and have an update for it to download. I may be wrong.
Yes I believe that was said too, totally new mp capped animations, not something thats "unlockable"

# 8 Stumbleweed @ 09/22/08 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq
How does the LIVING ROSTER work for online gaming. Say for example, user 1 chose to automatically download the living roster but user 2 chose to ignore it....but when a game squares off between these 2 users online, would do the new animation work and be execute for user 1 because user 2 obviously did not download the new animation.
As in previous years, you will have no choice but to use the most current rosters if you're playing online. The choice aspect just comes up when you're talking about using the rosters offline.

# 9 buttons0662 @ 09/22/08 02:34 PM
STEVE OS ... thanks for all the info you've been giving us! Since you have the game I'm hoping you can answer the Only question I've had since they announced the game ... "Whats up with the Draft Classes? ... Can we upload from College2K8 OR can we make our own OR is it generic (Can we edit if it is generic?)" ... REALLY wanna know ... Thanks

Always Pushin ...
Buttons

# 10 eko718 @ 09/22/08 02:35 PM
STEVE, does this feature work in conjunction with the season mode in 2K9? We have gotten conflicting information on this.

# 11 cooldude32 @ 09/22/08 02:35 PM
It's funny how they have to steal NBA Live's idea.

# 12 SageInfinite @ 09/22/08 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude32
It's funny how they have to steal NBA Live's idea.

# 13 Zer0xray @ 09/22/08 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
how are you sure that the guy who left 2K to join EA didnt steal the idea in the first place?

# 14 SageInfinite @ 09/22/08 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroxray0
how are you sure that the guy who left 2K to join EA didnt steal the idea in the first place?
How are you sure what I'm laughing at?

# 15 eko718 @ 09/22/08 02:43 PM
Irrelevant either way, but just because 2K announced it later, doesn't mean they copied the idea. It could have been vice versa.

# 16 cooldude32 @ 09/22/08 02:48 PM
If nba 2k came up with the idea first then why didn't they announce it a long time ago?

# 17 JasonC1363 @ 09/22/08 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroxray0
doesnt really matter all these games have the same exact features and all they do is a attach a gimmicky name to it to make it sound diffrent.

what i too am interested in knowing is if their staying true to their original word about mocapping new animations for breakout players or if its gonna be an "unlocked package" AKA if mario chalmers has a breakout season he gets updated with the generic superstar crossover package... which is totally diffrent from a new signature move for a breakout player.

i hope this isnt the "revolutionary" feature they were touting to have hidden..this is nice but its more like something that should have been done years ago

by the way you dudes that complain about people pointing out problems are dumb. we all pay 65 bucks for this game yearly its in our interest to point out something we dont like. it may be the best product in its category but its FAR from perfect

# 18 DakkoN @ 09/22/08 03:00 PM
No more Live vs 2K please.

# 19 ehh @ 09/22/08 03:00 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I'm perfectly happy with EA and 2K stealing each other's ideas because we end up benefiting from it.

God bless competition.

# 20 ThaGenecyst @ 09/22/08 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
How are you sure what I'm laughing at?

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.