Home
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 News Post

The Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 demo is available, please post your impressions here.

Quote:
"Just played like two games, and I must say that it is definitely better than 08 (but that really isnt hard). It is harder to score, passing is more smoother, the player pacing is better, but the player animations are a little weird at times, but at least the game is playable this year."

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Pro Evolution Soccer 2009Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bahnzo @ 10/02/08 09:39 AM
After playing 5 games, I still think PES feels clunky. A lot of the time it seems like I'm playing "connect the dots" instead of soccer....it lacks the smoothness that FIFA presents. It's definitely a better (slower) pace than last year tho. Also, there's this loooong video after you finish your game that highlights the features this year. It's nice, but it's actually faster to quit the demo, and then restart it if you want to play another game....annoying.

Some good points: The AI seems better than FIFA (08 tho, I've not played 09 of course). They press when behind and kick the ball out of their end when leading. They also make intelligent subs as well.

So...it's better than last years, but IMO it's not better than FIFA. I don't think it's even better than the older versions I fell in love with on the PS2. Gonna have to take a pass again this year.....maybe I'll rent it and give the full game a try eventually.

# 2 RoyceDa59 @ 10/02/08 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
After playing 5 games, I still think PES feels clunky. A lot of the time it seems like I'm playing "connect the dots" instead of soccer....it lacks the smoothness that FIFA presents. It's definitely a better (slower) pace than last year tho. Also, there's this loooong video after you finish your game that highlights the features this year. It's nice, but it's actually faster to quit the demo, and then restart it if you want to play another game....annoying.

Some good points: The AI seems better than FIFA (08 tho, I've not played 09 of course). They press when behind and kick the ball out of their end when leading. They also make intelligent subs as well.

So...it's better than last years, but IMO it's not better than FIFA. I don't think it's even better than the older versions I fell in love with on the PS2. Gonna have to take a pass again this year.....maybe I'll rent it and give the full game a try eventually.
I know I am still going to buy this game when it comes out but... (takes deep breath) I think I might buy Fifa 09 for the first time in a while just to give it a try. Although I personally didnt like the game that much when I tried the demo but I honestly didnt give it enough of a chance because I am so use to PES. PES 09 isn't a bad game at all I still prefer it much more than Fifa, but this year I see no reason not to try Fifa 09.

# 3 therizing02 @ 10/02/08 10:25 AM
I agree with what Bahnzo says about the clunkiness. The reason that it's clunky is because the players move like robots when changing directions. I know neither game has gone to complete 360 degree movement but, FIFA has smoothed the transitions when players change directions. PES has not and it looks pretty bad. This is the most frustrating thing about PES IMO. Obviously not a game killer but, it takes a lot away from the realism of player movements.

The game is much improved over 2008 (not hard to do) and if you liked the PES game prior to 08 you really like 09 IMO.

The AI is much better and 1 thing I noticed right off the bat is when you take a defender slightly out of position as soon as you change to another player the defender goes back to his position. Last year he would not go back creating huge holes in the defense.

I also tried the Manual RS passing. It's different and will take some getting used to but, right now I'm optimistic that I can use it. It's like FIFA in that the game feels more real and organic. It eliminates the "connect the dots" fell that Bahnzo was referring to also.

The graphics are improved, The UEFA license will help but, the PES from 2 years ago and beyond, while good games, is no longer enough. FIFA has raised the bar and will continue to raise the bar to what a football game should and can be. Seabass can continue to stay on cruise control but, every year the gap will widen unless some big changes are made.

It's sad IMO because this was always my game of choice because of the realism from a strategic standpoint and the adapting AI. FIFA was always a kid's game to me with pretty graphics and licensed teams. That is changing (hopefully) with 09.

I will own both games only because I like to play different ones for a change of pace. I won't be disappointed with PES at all given the fact the I like the Master League (much better than the FIFA MM), the UEFA Licensing, and the customization. It's a good year for football games. If only American football games had competition.

# 4 Peninc @ 10/02/08 10:31 AM
Ive played perhaps 6 games this morning before going to work and while it was a fun time, Ive come away somehow unimpressed. The AI is as good as its every been but something is missing and there is no "wow" factor anymore. Its 2009 and they have the exact same animations in the game since PES4. The players seem to move at an exaggerated pace in the way they pass and shoot. While it is not as fast as PES2008 in terms of gameplay, it's still a situation where every pass and shot and leg movement is a snap shot or pass. It is so quick that it doesnt seem real anymore.

The game engine is dated and the animations are sometimes odd. The graphics are improved, however when I see where sports games have gone in terms of graphics (NBA 2K9) I cannot help but see the cartoon in the player faces and textures of PES 2009. That being said, the game is still alot of fun to play and with the depth that will come to the full game, it will be even better.

At this point for me the only area in which FIFA is outmatched by PES is in the AI of the cpu controlled players. So now is all about choices I guess.

# 5 Zlax45 @ 10/02/08 01:51 PM
I like it a ton

# 6 Bamtino @ 10/02/08 02:56 PM
Gameplay is a lot better than the turd we got last year but the engine is really outdated...After playing FIFA you really see just how far behind PES is in the animation department...Gameplay was slowed down a notch which is a good thing, the framrate is smooth as butter and i don't know about anyone else but i found it much easier to score this year...Some people say the graphics improved but on the demo i downloaded off PSN they clearly scaled back on the graphics...It serious looks just a tad bit better than the PS2 version of PES8...I enjoyed it though, its still PES you either love it or you hate it...

# 7 taiketsu @ 10/02/08 06:40 PM
I came away very impressed with the FIFA 09's feature set, improved gameplay, and animations - so initially, the PES demo felt underwhelming.

3 games into the PES demo, I realized I was having a lot more fun with this than FIFA. When I score a goal in PES I still want to get up and dance, but for some reason that sentiment isn't shared when it comes FIFA. Anybody else feel that way? Perhaps I haven't given FIFA enough of a chance, but it's difficult to get into with 2 minute halfs.

Despite the jerky animations(at least in comparison to FIFA,) PES's animation has still improved - just not as much as I hoped. The most noticeable change, though, is the AI. As mentioned earlier by another poster, it really feels as if players are promptly moving into positions they ought to be in.

# 8 Stumbleweed @ 10/02/08 06:55 PM
(To get the disclaimer out of the way..)

I'm not a soccer guy by any means, but I owned Winning Eleven 8 for the PS2 and really enjoyed myself in the FIFA 09 demo. That said, I didn't enjoy this one at all really. From the bizarre command list that read like an instruction manual that comes with cheap Chinese furniture to the way the players moved (like someone said, it seems like they only move in the 4 cardinal directions), I just didn't like it very much.

It seems like it might be the deeper game control-wise, but not knowing much about soccer, that didn't matter to me.. and really, I couldn't remember half the commands or what they do even if I knew soccer more. FIFA felt more natural to me as a noob soccer gamer, the animations looked much better, and the graphics were a step ahead as well.

Heh, was a rude surprise when I woke up early to get the NBA 2K9 demo and ended up with this one instead. I'll probably give it another chance when I'm not in a bad mood about getting hosed out of the 2K9 demo and see if I like it more. I just think the 'tap B x3' style of controls makes the game feel really dated ragardless of the additional control it seems to provide. Same thing as CollegeHoops using B for the IsoMotion and Live using two shooting buttons, it just screams "last-gen", especially when their direct competitor moved basically everything to the sticks and triggers.

# 9 ramenite @ 10/02/08 08:58 PM
Overall I liked the demo, with some caveats.

There's really not a lot here that's going to persuade any FIFA players. If you didn't care for PES before, nothing is going to really change your mind with 2009. PES fans such as myself will see improved AI and gameplay. This is probably what 2008 should have been.

Probably the biggest drawback, as this is still just an "evolution" and not the "revolution" that FIFA has had. I just figured by now PES would get things like true 360 player movement, saner controls, and gaining more licensed teams instead of losing them. Licensed teams wouldn't even be so much an issue, if they didn't artificially limit the amount of created teams.

This game reminds me of a bit of what EA pulls with Madden. Take out a bunch of features from the last generation, then call them "new" features in the current generation. Like the "improved" edit mode is what was already in PES6.

This game will hold over most PES fans, after the disappointing 2008. But if 2010 doesn't bring a lot of improvements like the ones listed, PES may be the game of the past, and FIFA the game of the future.

# 10 calcutta @ 10/02/08 09:35 PM
From playing on Professional:

PROS
Much slower pace is very welcome. Both the speed of the ball and player speed is much more realistic. In regards to the former, if you attempt a cross field switch its no longer a bullet, its actually has a fair amount of height and floatiness to it. Also re: crossfield switches, its alot easier to overpower them and send the ball out, so you have to really pay attention to your kicking power bar, unlike 08.

Absoltely love the free kicks and corner kicks as usual. I scored on my very first FK attempt with Gerrard and then hit the post with Ronaldo (and his trademark run up) on my second one! They were both within 22 yards, i've skied my subsequent attempts from about 30 or so yards out.

Again as usual, i love the option to pick whoever i want up for corners...i've already finished a goal mouth scramble with Puyol who was up for a corner and a header with Skrtel on a FK - once the CPU even scored using Carragher in OPEN PLAY (i was using a second controller to control the strategy of the away team, i had set Carragher to come up for corners, after one CK, he stayed up because i failed to clear it far enough, Degen sent a ball in and Carragher knocked it in at the near post!). Unfortunately, CPU teams don't bring up their CBs for corners by default again, so thats a bit of Mgt editing that i'll need to do in the final game.

Last year, it was easy to score or to at least hit the target with long range shots even when you're shooting bar is filled up all the way. This year, i've barely managed to make enough room to attempt shots from outside the box, and most shots have sailed well over the bar. Much better, more realistic, and hopefully much more rewarding if and when i do score.

Menu navigation is quick and easy as usual...

CONS
...but as usual, the menus are pretty ugly. The whole style of the game including music reminds me of Amped 3, which doesn't really suit a game like this (maybe FIFA Street lol).

My gripes concerning the AI in 08 have returned...the CPU players still ALWAYS shoot low and usually hard and 80% of the goals i've conceded have been low drives that nestle into the bottom corner. The GKs are still crap so they struggle to get across and usually don't even get a hand to it. Then they parry shots they should be catching, sometimes into their own nets. This is particularly worrying because the demo showcases some of the best keepers in the world like Buffon and Casillas, and those two are prone to these issues too.

On CKs, the CPU ALWAYS send it in at the 6-yard box. I've managed to clear all but one of these corners, and the one their player won in the air one was saved. The issue is there is no variety on CKs, i've never seen the CK taker place it anywhere else in the box and certainly no short CKs at this stage either...its like 08 all over again.

The CPU opposition also has a tendency not to shoot until they get inside the box, even when i've given space to shoot from range. Last year i'd seen a few long range efforts here and there, but nothing yet. Also on the two FKs i've conceded in scoring positions, the FK taker opted to pass it off to a player about 3m away rather than shoot or cross into a box where lots of players were left waiting.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, the CPU intervenes and takes control of my actions!! Last year the CPU seemed auto clear the ball when a player intercepted a low cross for example...well they still do that, but now they do much more w/o me telling them to, and they seem to do at random all over the pitch - auto slide tackles for no real reason in and around my box, auto rushed passes and clearances despite the fact the players have no one closing them down - i'm not pressing anything but these players are seemingly doing what they think is right in the given situation. The worst incident was in the opposing half when the CPU weakly cleared a corner which was falling straight onto my player's head, i purposely didn't press anything in order to control it and volley a shot on goal, but the CPU decides to take control and make player do super weak header that barely makes it into the box and is easily cleared over half way

The AI (on your team and their team) are still prone to stupid mistakes...in my last game yesterday two players on my team went to cut out the same pass, they ran into each other, both fell over and that left the opposing striker to get the loose ball and gave him a one-on-one chance he promptly finished

And the issues with the back four are still there for me - when the CPU attack down the wing, my LB for example is nowhere to be seen, having moved inside for no reason (my CBs are both still around, but its like my LCB and LB have swapped positions temporarily). If its not that, then its one of my CBs moving out of position for no reason leaving the opposing CF totally unmarked...its honestly like my RCB is marking my LCB...absolutely ridiculous. I haven't mucked around with man-marking yet maybe that would help (ie: get my LCB to man-mark their RF so he doesn't deviate as much).

# 11 calcutta @ 10/02/08 09:57 PM
Oh and the PK system is the same old crap we've seen in every PES to date. I missed my first and only attempt thus far with Messi because...i guess the game though it was my time to miss. At least they've got Ronaldo's trademark (illegal?) run up.

# 12 Vince @ 10/03/08 11:06 AM
Graphics are amazing...

# 13 KG @ 10/03/08 11:15 AM
Graphics do look very nice but I can't get over the fact that it feels like i'm playing ping pong

# 14 kerosene31 @ 10/03/08 12:25 PM
Hard to tell in the short demo (soccer demos have to be longer), bit the AI seems significantly better. You can't just walk in on the CPU and get them confused like in 08. The AI is a huge factor for me picking a game. The AI has to be good, but not cheap to give me a good game. Still need more to tell for sure. I barely even got a shot off, so I really want to see more of the goalies.

They have to add 360 motion in next year though... I knew it wasn't in there before I played, but still it stands out as a huge omission. 3 versions in next gen and still missing?

Other than that, I actually like how the players feel and how they move. The animations are fast and clean and I actually feel like I'm controlling a great player and not stuck in slow animations.

Shooting feels improved as well. It was far too easy in 08.

Overall I liked it. Obviously we'd all like to see some significant improvements in the coming years. Still, I think this game will probably giving me the best offline gameplay.

# 15 ramenite @ 10/03/08 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Hard to tell in the short demo (soccer demos have to be longer), bit the AI seems significantly better.
There is a demo "tweak" that will let you change the amount of time on the demo to whatever you want.

# 16 therizing02 @ 10/03/08 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
There is a demo "tweak" that will let you change the amount of time on the demo to whatever you want.
That's probably for the PC version though. Correct?

# 17 Meazza @ 10/03/08 04:41 PM
Yep, I'm playing with 25 minute games, the Champions League Finale Ball (Moscow), and the chant pack. This game is incredible

# 18 RoyceDa59 @ 10/03/08 04:50 PM
I wish I could get it on the PC but I dont have a strong enough laptop or pc I know this is small but I wish Konami could fix those Mickey Mouse goalkeeper gloves they look really silly lol. I know I saw someone mod Nike Gk gloves on last years version.

# 19 Mad 69 @ 10/03/08 06:44 PM
I'm still new to soccer games and I can only go off from what I have played. This game reminds me of a last gen game, the players look like cartoon characters compared to player models of FIFA.

Gameplay reminded me of RTWC 06, nothing impressive. The only thing that vaguely impressed me was the way the players trap the ball, wish FIFA would incorporate this. Other than that, I could not see why anyone would actually chose PES 09 over FIFA 09. I am not fan of EA by any means, but I beleive they have the edge in soccer games...

# 20 lnin0 @ 10/03/08 10:48 PM
It is a tough choice this year. Go with an uglier game that seems to be more solidly grounded in the fundamentals or go for the glitz and glamor and hope the ai doesn't start to fall apart at the seams in a week or two.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.