Home
News Post

We have posted our review of NBA 2K9. Enjoy!

Quote:
"The NBA 2K series has a lot in common with the San Antonio Spurs. They’re both consistently competitive no matter who pops up to challenge them. They’re also proven winners. The 2K series has been the undisputed basketball champion since at least 2005, while the Spurs have won four NBA championships since 1999. Both of them suffered slight setbacks last season, but these setbacks weren't enough to take them out of the game. Now for the 2008-2009 season, both sides are looking to regain their dominance."

NBA 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 muggins @ 10/13/08 02:24 PM
Quote:
Basic online play is pretty much untouched from last year. The 2K Cam has been removed to the dismay of some fans but unless you used that camera angle you will be fine.
This should have been a bigger deal in the review. A TON of people use 2k cam.

# 2 capp34 @ 10/13/08 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
And also a LOT of people play online....and its almost unplayable. Reviews should be on all aspects of the online, offline, association etc etc.

# 3 Kaanyr Vhok @ 10/13/08 03:03 PM
For me the default sliders are more of an issue than the 2k cam (there is another a lot like it) and the server issues.

# 4 PaulZweber @ 10/13/08 03:06 PM
Great review! I agree for the most part, it isn't perfect but getting damn near. Needs work on the servers, some commentary (I didn't think it was bad), and help side defense sometimes, but overall I agree with the 9.0 rating.

# 5 luda06 @ 10/13/08 03:08 PM
9? ok..

# 6 XuanWu @ 10/13/08 03:15 PM
This review is far too easy on the 2K team. There are simply too many bugs on and offline this year. The gameplay has suffered considerably. It's too easy to score with bigmen now. 3s rain down from any joe-blow who has a half-decent 3pt rating. It takes like 10 tries to randomly connect to a player for a "quick" match. WHERE ARE OUR LOBBIES? We can't even filter out all these damn Kobe/LeBron cheesers without lobbies! Sure, 2K is better than Live again, but at this point that's like saying chocolate tastes better than broccoli. LOOK WE KNOW THAT ALREADY. Instead of lauding 2K for beating the mentally challenged, overweight kid with one arm and a stumpy leg in dodgeball, why not CRITIQUE 2K for squandering its own potential with this messy, unfinished, buggy P.O.S. they've released this year?

# 7 Bumble14 @ 10/13/08 03:16 PM
8.0 tops for me. Both games scored about even this year, both in the 8 range.

Too many online issues and same ol same ol in 2K9.

# 8 asu666 @ 10/13/08 03:17 PM
Everyone has a slightly different experience. Overall I think this was a fair review with a lot of good information. My personal experience is that the action on the floor is improved and I'm glad to see the presentation creeping back into 2K sports. My only gripes are that the resoluation on the courts was consistent in 2K8 and fades out too quickly in 2K9. The team names on the baseline fade out at the top of the arch and become blurry when in 2K8 I could still read them all the way down under the far basket. I'd love to see CH 2K8 come back too. NBA 2K will never feel like as much of a complete experience until I can draft a guy I coached in college into the pros again.

# 9 capp34 @ 10/13/08 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XuanWu
This review is far too easy on the 2K team. There are simply too many bugs on and offline this year. The gameplay has suffered considerably. It's too easy to score with bigmen now. 3s rain down from any joe-blow who has a half-decent 3pt rating. It takes like 10 tries to randomly connect to a player for a "quick" match. WHERE ARE OUR LOBBIES? We can't even filter out all these damn Kobe/LeBron cheesers without lobbies! Sure, 2K is better than Live again, but at this point that's like saying chocolate tastes better than broccoli. LOOK WE KNOW THAT ALREADY. Instead of lauding 2K for beating the mentally challenged, overweight kid with one arm and a stumpy leg in dodgeball, why not CRITIQUE 2K for squandering its own potential with this messy, unfinished, buggy P.O.S. they've released this year?
2k is God on this Site....you wasting time and someone will prolly bash for it.

# 10 Vast @ 10/13/08 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Great review i agree with everything said. Awesome game and i do not miss the 2k cam online even though that was my prefered camera. I just found another one i like.

2k PLEASE FIX THE SERVERS NOW!!

# 11 LETS BALL @ 10/13/08 03:45 PM
i agree..i would have give it a 9.5 if the online servers was fix..but it will be fix soon..

# 12 LoWw @ 10/13/08 03:48 PM
Good review!

# 13 carnalnirvana @ 10/13/08 03:49 PM
this review is his OPINION.... i dont agree but it was well written.

# 14 bears5122 @ 10/13/08 04:20 PM
It's a good review, although I don't understand the online aspects of it. To say the team up is a "great addition" when no one has been able to really play it without lag is odd. It's been the one area of this game that has been really bad and the review should have downgraded them for it. Especially considering that Live is fluid and easy to use.

Maybe the 5 on 5 game was before it came out and without anyone on the servers, but if they try a game right now, it'll certainly be an adventure and frustrating experience.

# 15 ChaseB @ 10/13/08 04:26 PM
If the online issues persist we'll come back and write another story about it for sure.

# 16 Bornindamecca @ 10/13/08 04:54 PM
Great review.

Yeah, the online issues are brutal right now, but they know it and said they're on top of it. It was fixed with other games that had similar issues, there is no reason to think that it won't be fixed with this game. It's very early in the game's release, and they're experiencing more success and traffic than they anticipated.

People complaining about the success of the AI need to chill. I know you're frustrated, but 2k has gone through the trouble of putting in a very deep slider set and rosters that you can customize to your heart's desire. If you use these tools, you will realize that you own the most realistic basketball game ever.

# 17 DubTrey1 @ 10/13/08 04:55 PM
9 is generous. But, it is a good title. I feel that with some amazing slider tweaks, the game is pretty solid. Besides, considering the alternative - a 9 fits.

# 18 stillatin @ 10/13/08 04:59 PM
online can be fixed so that can be an exeption, everything good about this game outweighs the bad tremendously, a 9 is a good score but a high 8 wouldve been better.

# 19 ChaseB @ 10/13/08 05:04 PM
To give you a view into the review process, Richard started writing this review a few days ago and battled between an 8.5 and 9.0 for a few days before going with the one. I think that shows that scores are once again a pain, but that's a whole other story.

# 20 jyoung @ 10/13/08 05:13 PM
This game in its current state is an 8 at best.

That said, it has the potential to become a 9 if they fix the online issues (lag, server instability, ranked difficulty level, etc.) and missing features (flex schedule, 2K Cam).

Until then, I don't see any reason to rate the game highly based on its potential when the online portion of the game is bordering on unplayable.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.